• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM at msu (Saturday 2/25)

I just hope the Athletic Department has learned it's lesson here. DO NOT have UM teams compete in: silver, granite, grey, gray, gainsboro, light gray, dark gray, or dim gray colored uniforms.

Stop it!

220px-Color_icon_gray_v2.svg.png

Ursa Major said:
I just hope the Athletic Department has learned it's lesson here. DO NOT have UM teams compete in: silver, granite, grey, gray, gainsboro, light gray, dark gray, or dim gray colored uniforms.

Stop it!

I didn't notice, but were they wearing their anklets?

HelenaHandBasket said:
Ursa Major said:

Stop it!

I didn't notice, but were they wearing their anklets?
:clap:
Gray & White is the new Blue & Yellow . . .

Fun game to be at. Sat next to a griz fan from Ft. Benton. You guys put some dude in the game that seemed to drain threes whenever he took a shot in the second half. The gentlemen told his wife that's why the kid was in there. Seems playing him would up your three point percentage greatly. Why not play him more?

Sat behind your cheerleaders. Kudos to you guys. Kudos to you guys. You guys win that department for cat/griz......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Allezchat said:
Fun game to be at. Sat next to a griz fan from Ft. Benton. You guys put some dude in the game that seemed to drain threes whenever he took a shot in the second half. The gentlemen told his wife that's why the kid was in there. Seems playing him would up your three point percentage greatly. Why not play him more?

Sat behind your cheerleaders. Kudos to you guys. Kudos to you guys. You guys win that department for cat/griz......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

You mean Gfeller? He made two 3's. Crazy how much arc he has in his shot. He is a senior and has made 201 (I believe) 3's in his career.

And I agree about the cheerleaders. They are definitely talented.

Cats put on a good show all around. Half time show was entertaining. Crowd was loud in the 2nd half. Tyler Hall is ridiculous. They had three fans make half court shots. First two won $1000. Third won $2500. Refs were horrible. Not even with just the fouls. Seems like there were multiple incidents where they had no idea what they were doing. Affected both teams.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Adversity continues for Griz after loss at MSU
http://skylinesportsmt.com/adversity-continues-for-griz-after-loss-at-msu/

Interesting article. Did coach specifically mention what the adversity is? Seems like more than just losses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a good question. Adversity implies bad luck, injuries, something out of their control. Lady Griz have adversity, not sure what the men's team would be.

wbtfg said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Adversity continues for Griz after loss at MSU
http://skylinesportsmt.com/adversity-continues-for-griz-after-loss-at-msu/

Interesting article. Did coach specifically mention what the adversity is? Seems like more than just losses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think "adversity" might simply be a veiled way to talk about the game. It might be argued that the Griz took some hurried shots early in the second half to try to counter MSU's run. That's legit.

However, Montana lost this game like they've lost almost every game this year: shooting percentage (worded a bit differently, but accurately by HelenaHandBasket). Here are the specifics:

Free throws: MSU 24-of-35 (73%); Montana 18-of-26 (69%)
Field goals: MSU took 49 shots and made 23 (47%); Montana took 55 shots and made 23 (42%).
3-pt goals: MSU took 22 shots and made 8 (36%); Montana took 20 shots and made 5 (25%).

This, unfortunately, is not a one-game problem. Montana's field goal shooting percentages this season average between four to seven percent lower than the seasonal averages of Montana teams over the past 7 years (I haven't checked recently). It's generally regarded that winning D1 teams average around 48% field goal shooting and 37% 3-point fg shooting percentages.

The Griz have been flat-out beaten only a few times this year (Washington State, NC State, Portland State). Otherwise, the losses can arguably be directly linked to field goal shooting and critical missed free throws.

I write NONE of this as a criticism of the Griz; they've been taking mostly good shots. Montana's missed shots last night over the first part of the second half, were open looks.

If that's called adversity, so be it.

I like this team; I like em a lot. I'm going to continue to stick with them. The Griz continue to play good floor games. That means they're capable of beating anyone on any given night... by shooting about 5-10 percent better than they have. Or even like they did last season. I continue to hope for a hot streak to finish out the season.

kyle_sample said:
Ashamed said:
Has Decure ever gotten a T? Does he ever say a word to the officials? He doesn't seem to have any fight. Maybe it is just me.

It's definitely just you

:lol: I suppose Robin Selvig lacked fight too. This is one area TD doesn't need to be criticized about. Any more fight and he'd be kicked out of every game in the first half. It's actually my favorite aspect of him, he cares a lot.

WATCH: Cat-Griz basketball press conference: Montana Grizzlies
http://skylinesportsmt.com/post-cat-griz-presser-montana/

WATCH: Cat-Griz basketball press conference: Montana State Bobcats
http://skylinesportsmt.com/post-game-cat-griz-presser-msu/

Griz til I die said:
I can't help but think part of the reason why the griz haven't had a very good season was because of playing an all division 1 schedule. I think that just completely shattered their confidence. I understand playing a couple of big teams here and there to challenge themselves, but playing power 5 teams nearly every game is insane.

You and I might be the only ones who agree on this point. I think that schedules should be more balanced. You need to test yourself against strong teams, but you also have to play some "winnable" games. Otherwise players have their confidence shaken, and they also start looking at teammates to blame. After a while, it is no fun to go into games with the mindset that you are over-matched. Sometimes it is fun to just WIN! This season's pre-conference schedule was BRUTAL, not only because of the caliber of the opponents, but that extremely long early road trip had to be taxing, especially when kids had to keep up with schoolwork at the same time.

maroonandsilver said:
You and I might be the only ones who agree on this point. I think that schedules should be more bad. You need to test yourself against strong teams, but you also have to play some "winnable" games. Otherwise players have their confidence shaken, and they also start looking at teammates to blame. After a while, it is no fun to go into games with the mindset that you are over-matched.
I thought it was interesting scheduling, but could see pros and cons. Thought at the time, "well, he's the coach." Maybe the results came down as the "con." On the other hand, in football, between Mississippi Valley State (67-7) and Sac State (68-7) under the theory we should have rolled into mid-season guns-a-blazing. Instead, we lost four of the next five games, including the final two face-plants to Northern Colorado and the Cats.

UMGriz75 said:
maroonandsilver said:
You and I might be the only ones who agree on this point. I think that schedules should be more bad. You need to test yourself against strong teams, but you also have to play some "winnable" games. Otherwise players have their confidence shaken, and they also start looking at teammates to blame. After a while, it is no fun to go into games with the mindset that you are over-matched.
I thought it was interesting scheduling, but could see pros and cons. Thought at the time, "well, he's the coach." Maybe the results came down as the "con." On the other hand, in football, between Mississippi Valley State (67-7) and Sac State (68-7) under the theory we should have rolled into mid-season guns-a-blazing. Instead, we lost four of the next five games, including the final two face-plants to Northern Colorado and the Cats.

And I was just about getting over that---

Back