• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Urban Meyer

PlayerRep said:
4theluvofgriz said:
What has happened to our system in this country that has caused this lynch-mob mentality? The assistant coach was never convicted of abusing his wife. So, should Meyer have fired him just because of the accusation of such by his wife? I find it reprehensible that our society has degraded to the point that simple accusations, with no proof, can be used to ruin careers (and lives).
I agree. Note that the asst has never even been charged with abusing his wife--let alone convicted.
It's a sad commentary isn't it? As far as social media (and to a considerable extent the "traditional" media) is concerned "innocent until proven guilty" is just an annoying, out-dated notion that they'd just as soon ignore. Reporters scatter the word "alleged" here and there because their company lawyers insist on CYA. But -- too often -- the treatment is "trial by news(paper/program)," and "accusation" is enough for "conviction."

On the other side, here's another thing that I find sad. Far too many people do not believe in "forgiveness" or the idea that a convicted person who served his/her time has "paid their debt to society." That is, make a mistake early in life, and you might as well cut your own throat because a lot of people will never forgive or forget.

IdaGriz01 said:
PlayerRep said:
4theluvofgriz said:
What has happened to our system in this country that has caused this lynch-mob mentality? The assistant coach was never convicted of abusing his wife. So, should Meyer have fired him just because of the accusation of such by his wife? I find it reprehensible that our society has degraded to the point that simple accusations, with no proof, can be used to ruin careers (and lives).
I agree. Note that the asst has never even been charged with abusing his wife--let alone convicted.
It's a sad commentary isn't it? As far as social media (and to a considerable extent the "traditional" media) is concerned "innocent until proven guilty" is just an annoying, out-dated notion that they'd just as soon ignore. Reporters scatter the word "alleged" here and there because their company lawyers insist on CYA. But -- too often -- the treatment is "trial by news(paper/program)," and "accusation" is enough for "conviction."

On the other side, here's another thing that I find sad. Far too many people do not believe in "forgiveness" or the idea that a convicted person who served his/her time has "paid their debt to society." That is, make a mistake early in life, and you might as well cut your own throat because a lot of people will never forgive or forget.

Agreed.

I have no use for people, including leaders, who cut and run early on others, often to save their own skins. Each situation is different. Each needs to be evaluated.

The thinking expressed by some in this thread are what caused Engstrom to make the bad decision of firing O'Day/Pflu. Look at the damage that caused UM, and those guys, especially Pflu.

As pointed out, social media and the internet now make this problems worse and smaller problems get bigger.

ari gold said:
WaGriz4life said:
Urban is really about to get fired for minding his own business.

I mean, he knew about all of this and still found a reason to keep Smith on his staff. Hard to find a good justification for that. Not to mention Meyer has a pretty long history of being shady.

Oh really? Meyer has a "long history of being shady"? Care to elaborate on your assertion? As a reality check, you may recall that our own head coach, Bobby Hauck, has had allegations of "being shady" while coaching here in the past. In fact, almost every college head coach has detractors with an agenda to defame a head coach because they don't like him. It goes with the territory. FAKE NEWS, that you have obviously bought into HOOK-LINE-N-SINKER!

" Smith said Meyer told him he would be fired if he hit Courtney, and that he knows his former boss’ hardline stance against violence toward women."

From that statement, it looks like Smith may have never hit his wife, or ex-wife. Have their been any allegations from her that he hit her, as opposed to grabbed her (he said restrained her).

Note that domestic dispute include things like child custody disputes, and aren't necessarily spousal assaults. Don't see any indication that he had hit her. In fact, these reports don't seem to include specific allegations of anything physical, altho she is now saying one of them was physical to some degreee. This is just for anyone who actually cares about the facts. I have come to realize over time that a number of posters on egriz don't care much for the facts.

"Nine reports obtained from Powell police involving Zach Smith and/or Courtney Smith between the dates of January 1, 2012 and July 26, 2018 involve domestic disputes between the Smiths, who divorced in 2016. That includes an alleged incident of domestic abuse on Oct. 25, 2015.

In that report, which was previously revealed last week, Courtney Smith claimed to be the victim of sustained physical abuse at the hands of her ex-husband.

In a report on Wednesday, Courtney Smith told Brett McMurphy that her ex-husband "shoved me up against the wall, with his hands around my neck." Those details are not included in the report from Powell police, and no charges were filed form the incident.

Courtney Smith field for an order of protection against her ex-husband on July 20 in Delaware, Ohio.

Zach Smith, who was fired by Ohio State on July 23, has never been charged with a domestic violence crime. Smith's social media account on Twitter was recently changed to remove his Ohio State bio and features only the hashtag #NotMe. That slogan was adopted by music entrepreneur and businessman Russell Simmons in December of 2017 after he was accused of sexual assault. He abandoned the hashtag a month later.

Smith is facing a charge of criminal trespass after driving into Courtney Smith's driveway during a child custody exchange on May 12, 2018. Zach Smith had previously been warned that driving onto his ex-wife's property could result in such a charge, which was detailed in the additional reports obtained by cleveland.com.

The nine reports handled by Powell police that mention domestic issues show that Courtney Smith was repeatedly talking about the problems with her husband. The reports include:

* A handful of child custody disputes.

* A report from Oct. 21, 2015 indicates Courtney informed police that she felt she was being followed by someone in a black SUV, and shared she was having issues "with her soon to be ex-husband." That was the first mention of domestic issues found in the reports obtained by cleveland.com.

* Another report from Oct. 26, 2015 details Courtney Smith telling Powell police she wished to file a restraining order against her husband.

* There's a report from January 5, 2016 in which Courtney Smith was given a speeding warning. Smith shared that she was having domestic issues with her ex-husband that day, and that the City of Powell was aware of it. The report adds that she was crying and visibly upset."

SoldierGriz said:
Dutch Lane said:
tenisTensWhen you are the head coach you don’t have the luxury of minding your own business. I read that his contract required him to report any title 9 violations related to domestic violence in his program. So if that’s accurate he can’t just mind his own business he has to do the exact opposite. Dude is getting paid the big bucks, so man and up just do what the f*** you are contractually obligated to do rather then play games with this stuff and have this result play out which makes it worse for everyone including OSU nation. So don’t blame the wife or the asst. coach, ncaa, feminazis blah blah blah. IMO

I heard title 9 is not applicable in this case as the alleged "victim" was not a university employee...
Under the terms of his contract extension, which raised his salary from 1.2 to 7.6 million, required him to report to the title9 coordinator any violation of title 9 and the schools sexual misconduct rules which are overly broad in who is covered by the policies, like smiths exwife. This very specific language was added to the contract extension which makes you wonder why the university would put that in his contract in the first place. Maybe this is the reason. If he’s fired and it holds up in court he stands to lose something like 38 million over life of contract.

4theluvofgriz said:
My understanding is that a domestic violence restraining order was issued against him after a hearing. So even though he wasn’t charged or convicted of criminal conduct a judge determined that there was enough evidence against him to warrant the protective order. This proceeding triggered his firing. So that means there was more then ample proof in this case; photos of her injuries, testimony from witnesses, and even text messages from the asst. coach to his exwife where he admited to the beating. That’s called an admission against interest and it is probably the most powerful proof against the idiot, his own words. I agree it would have been reprehensible for him to lose his job based on simple accusations, but that’s not what happened. He lost his job because of his violent conduct against his ex wife in violation of his employment contract with the university. How is that reprehensible?

Dutch Lane said:
4theluvofgriz said:
My understanding is that a domestic violence restraining order was issued against him after a hearing. So even though he wasn’t charged or convicted of criminal conduct a judge determined that there was enough evidence against him to warrant the protective order. This proceeding triggered his firing. So that means there was more then ample proof in this case; photos of her injuries, testimony from witnesses, and even text messages from the asst. coach to his exwife where he admited to the beating. That’s called an admission against interest and it is probably the most powerful proof against the idiot, his own words. I agree it would have been reprehensible for him to lose his job based on simple accusations, but that’s not what happened. He lost his job because of his violent conduct against his ex wife in violation of his employment contract with the university. How is that reprehensible?

Nope, no hearing. Wife got the temporary order on own. Ex parte.

"Smith was served with a domestic violence civil protection order on Friday, college football reporter Brett McMurphy reported on Monday.

The protection order was filed by Smith's ex-wife, Courtney Smith, according to a spokesperson for the Delaware Police Department in Ohio. It prohibits Smith from going within 500 feet of his ex-wife for five years unless reversed by a judge in an Aug. 3 hearing."

This is from a July 23 article.

He got in trouble for pulling into her driveway to drop off the kids. How does someone exchange young kids without getting within 500 ft. of his ex-wife? Drop them off 500 feet away and have them walk by themselves? What about at night? What about in bad weather.

I'm starting to wonder if the ex-wife is a bit of a nut case. Wonder what the child support is? How easy will it be for him to get any job for a while, let alone a good high-paying job? Talk about cutting off her nose to spite her face.

"A hearing on a protective order against fired Ohio State assistant football coach Zach Smith won't happen Friday.

The clerk's office in Delaware County says the next hearing on the case is now scheduled for Sept. 14. The office didn't know why the Friday hearing was canceled and attorneys for Zach Smith and ex-wife Courtney didn't respond to messages left Thursday.

Courtney Smith was granted a temporary restraining order on July 20 after accusing her ex-husband of stalking and intimidation. Zach Smith hasn't been charged with assaulting her or convicted of a crime."

PlayerRep said:
Dutch Lane said:
4theluvofgriz said:

Nope, no hearing. Wife got the temporary order on own. Ex parte.

"Smith was served with a domestic violence civil protection order on Friday, college football reporter Brett McMurphy reported on Monday.

The protection order was filed by Smith's ex-wife, Courtney Smith, according to a spokesperson for the Delaware Police Department in Ohio. It prohibits Smith from going within 500 feet of his ex-wife for five years unless reversed by a judge in an Aug. 3 hearing."

This is from a July 23 article.

He got in trouble for pulling into her driveway to drop off the kids. How does someone exchange young kids without getting within 500 ft. of his ex-wife? Drop them off 500 feet away and have them walk by themselves? What about at night? What about in bad weather.

I'm starting to wonder if the ex-wife is a bit of a nut case. Wonder what the child support is? How easy will it be for him to get any job for a while, let alone a good high-paying job? Talk about cutting off her nose to spite her face.

Looks like one poster does research before they post and one poster just assumes they know what’s going on.

The problem that everyone seems to ignore is that Urban lied at a presser and then tried to walk it back which made it worse for him. The real issue is what’s up with Urbans character, why lie about things that he didn’t have to. The guy got caught in a lie and the whole mess was of his own making by even associating with Smith after Florida. It’s okay Urban you can tell the truth about what happens in you program you’re the head guy he should act like it rather then being a weasel. Hard to try and justify something when your guy is caught in a lie. Urban should just come out and say I lied to protect myself and I shouldn’t have. So the question is are you guys ok with urban lieing, and what should be the repercussions if any.

Dutch Lane said:
The problem that everyone seems to ignore is that Urban lied at a presser and then tried to walk it back which made it worse for him. The real issue is what’s up with Urbans character, why lie about things that he didn’t have to. The guy got caught in a lie and the whole mess was of his own making by even associating with Smith after Florida. It’s okay Urban you can tell the truth about what happens in you program you’re the head guy he should act like it rather then being a weasel. Hard to try and justify something when your guy is caught in a lie. Urban should just come out and say I lied to protect myself and I shouldn’t have. So the question is are you guys ok with urban lieing, and what should be the repercussions if any.
Urban should not be fired for lying to the media, no.

WaGriz4life said:
Dutch Lane said:
Urban should not be fired for lying to the media, no.

I agree. He was just fulfilling the large appetite of the media for fake news.

He shouldn't have lied. Mistake. He corrected it a week or so later. In this day and age of huge lying, by Trump, Hillary, some politicians, many political ads, etc., lying seems to be getting very common and almost acceptable.

4theluvofgriz said:

Reported Txt messages from wife with choking references and apology from Smith seem pretty damming if they are legit. Smith seems to be copping to abuse, again if the messages are legit.

4theluvofgriz said:
Among many agreeable points that were just posted by player rep I also stand for this comment you made.

There is such a horrible movement in this country by people who possess an extremely skewed and/or subversive mentality, who are in turn promoting civil unrest.

That "metoo" nonsense is a very horrific way to destroy innocent lives (usually). The facts should always be brought to light BEFORE heads start to roll ... what ever happened to innocent until PROVEN guilty?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back