• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Urban Meyer

PlayerRep said:
WaGriz4life said:
Dutch Lane said:
The problem that everyone seems to ignore is that Urban lied at a presser and then tried to walk it back which made it worse for him. The real issue is what’s up with Urbans character, why lie about things that he didn’t have to. The guy got caught in a lie and the whole mess was of his own making by even associating with Smith after Florida. It’s okay Urban you can tell the truth about what happens in you program you’re the head guy he should act like it rather then being a weasel. Hard to try and justify something when your guy is caught in a lie. Urban should just come out and say I lied to protect myself and I shouldn’t have. So the question is are you guys ok with urban lieing, and what should be the repercussions if any.
Urban should not be fired for lying to the media, no.

I agree. He was just fulfilling the large appetite of the media for fake news.

He shouldn't have lied. Mistake. He corrected it a week or so later. In this day and age of huge lying, by Trump, Hillary, some politicians, many political ads, etc., lying seems to be getting very common and almost acceptable.
You were doing ok in this thread up until this point. I didn’t agree with what you were saying, but it seemed somewhat reasonable (except for the nut case snide) and than this post sealed it for me.
You’re basically saying it’s okay to lie because others do it

4theluvofgriz said:
I am quite sure the same individuals who want Meyer fired are the same ones who wanted to hang Jordy Johnson from the goal post because that wacko chick accused him of rape. This mentality is fostered by the daily fake news spewed by the mainstream media, the hypocritical celebrities, and talking headed late-night hosts masquerading as "comedians".
What lie did JJ make in an attempt to cover his tracks? I don’t recall that

garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:
WaGriz4life said:
Dutch Lane said:
The problem that everyone seems to ignore is that Urban lied at a presser and then tried to walk it back which made it worse for him. The real issue is what’s up with Urbans character, why lie about things that he didn’t have to. The guy got caught in a lie and the whole mess was of his own making by even associating with Smith after Florida. It’s okay Urban you can tell the truth about what happens in you program you’re the head guy he should act like it rather then being a weasel. Hard to try and justify something when your guy is caught in a lie. Urban should just come out and say I lied to protect myself and I shouldn’t have. So the question is are you guys ok with urban lieing, and what should be the repercussions if any.

He shouldn't have lied. Mistake. He corrected it a week or so later. In this day and age of huge lying, by Trump, Hillary, some politicians, many political ads, etc., lying seems to be getting very common and almost acceptable.
You were doing ok in this thread up until this point. I didn’t agree with what you were saying, but it seemed somewhat reasonable (except for the nut case snide) and than this post sealed it for me.

You missed the humor, I see.

For anyone who wants the basic information. These links will give a good flavor of facts. Unfortunate for all. Smith is right that it's been a stormy relationship.

This article is pretty good, for the time period Smith coached at Ohio St. https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/08/records_show_history_of_domest.html

"* A report from Oct. 21, 2015 indicates Courtney informed police that she felt she was being followed by someone in a black SUV, and shared she was having issues "with her soon to be ex-husband." That was the first mention of domestic issues found in the reports obtained by cleveland.com.

* Another report from Oct. 26, 2015 details Courtney Smith telling Powell police she wished to file a restraining order against her husband."

"Courtney Smith decided to go public with her side of the story on Wednesday, both in McMurphy's report and in a video interview with Stadium. In that interview with Stadium, Courtney Smith reveals that she informed her family and Zach Smith's family of his alleged abuse, and was advised to not to involve the police."

I can't quite figure out what the 2015 incident really is. Nothing big in police reports. The ex communicated with coaches' wives, but didn't talk to Meyer or know that his wife talked to him, as she indicated she would. I assume she did.

Maybe it's this, from the reporter's tweet. I take this with some grains of salt.

"On Oct. 25, 2015, Courtney and Zach were separated. Zach came by her house, an argument ensued and then Courtney said he assaulted her.
“He took me and shoved me up against the wall, with his hands around my neck,” Courtney said. “Something he did very often. My (then 3-year old) daughter was clinging to my leg. It obviously registered with him what he was doing, so he took my (then 5-year old) son and left. So I called the police.”
Since Zach had already left, Courtney told the police not to come to the house because she had to calm her daughter down and put her to bed. The police said since Zach had left, they could come out the next day or she could come by the station the next morning. The report was officially filed on Oct. 26, 2015. Zach Smith has never been convicted of domestic violence."

I haven't read all of the ex's texts to coaches' wives, but I didn't notice her being this specific with the texts. There are some photos. If she wasn't specific with Meyer's wife or others, how could Meyer possibly know all this? Note that the police report doesn't have this info in it.

I have seen reference to the police calling the Ohio St AD in 2015, to give him a heads up. However, it doesn't look like the police had specific info. It's certainly not in their police report.

There was a 2009 incident, while at Florida. He was an intern for Florida/Meyer then. See below, and that she declined to bring charges.

"Smith returned home that night with an unidentified female, whom he wanted to stay for the night. The woman repeatedly called him “baby.”

According to the incident report, Courtney said that Zach “picked her up by grabbing her T-shirt and threw her against the bedroom wall located upstairs in their apartment.” Courtney said Zach was intoxicated at the time.

She drove the woman home and when she returned, the couple had a tense argument relating to Zach’s possible infidelity. When Zach refused to get out of their bed, he “forcefully grabbed her.

Zach told police that the woman was a co-worker who he brought up because she was upset about a break-up. Responding officers noted that Zach had a red mark on his right bicep. Zach said he got the mark during an attempt to stop a fight at a club. He denied throwing Courtney into a wall.

Officers noted that Courtney’s shirt was stretched, and her side of the story lined up with the mark on Zach’s arm since she claimed to have tried to hit him during the encounter.

Police determined that Zach Smith was the primary aggressor and he was arrested that night and booked on charges of aggravated battery of a pregnant woman.

Courtney Smith declined to press charges against her then-husband eight days later."

Here's Smith's recent interview:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ex-osu-coach-zach-smith-found-investigated-abuse-ohio-state-ad-220120736.html

Here's the ex's recent interview:

http://www.startribune.com/watch-the-full-courtney-smith-interview/489862901/

garizzalies said:
Oh. Wow. I see. That’s real knee-slapper right there

Assumed you wouldn't understand tongue in cheek or subtile humor. Do you really think I would justify Meyer's lying because Trump lies?

garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:
WaGriz4life said:
Dutch Lane said:

They are both at fault, and nut cases in a broad sense. Now she has called attention to the situation by going to the media (instead of the police), and gotten some revenge. Hopefully, he will stay away from her, but I don't know how they will exchange the kids. And he doesn't have a job, won't make $330,000 a year again for a long time, if ever. And the amount of child support he will be able to pay for decline significantly.

As for Meyer, I assume he will penalized. Don't think he should be fired, and I'm guessing he won't based on what I can see so far, but, in this day and age, who knows. The highest profile person gets zapped. But not the parents of the couple, her friends, the coaches' wives, lower level administrators, the police (not faulting them for what I've seen), or anyone else. Maybe the AD Smith. He's fairly high profile. Zap him too

One last comment, then I am done posting in this thread.

This lynch-mob mentality caused by PC run-amuck in this country is ruining countless lives and careers, and there is always collateral damage too. Just look at the events relating to the Jordy Johnson saga. The rush-to-convict caused so many lives to be effected..... JJ's, Pflu, O-Day, the accuser, and all of Pflu's assistant coaches who lost their jobs. But the collateral damage was much greater, Everyone associated with the university was effected, both by the national bad press, as well as the declining enrollment partially caused by the mess. The result was widespread budget cuts and many people losing their jobs. In fact, UM has never recovered from this event.

And, in the end, after due process was observed by the court system, none of the events caused by Engstrom's knee-jerk, "cover his ass" reaction should have ever happened! The final collateral damage was that our illustrious football program was ruined, and to this day has not recovered.

There should be a lesson here for all to be learned. I don't think I need to spell it out for anyone.

Please, please just one more comment before you leave this thread forever. :cry: So it is ok for Urban to lie to the masses? If yes, please explain why. :thumb:

Urban will be just fine, he will continue to get paid 7.6 mil and coach the Buckeyes. By his own immature actions and statements though he alone has sealed his reputation as a weasel or fake. The question is why lie?

...if your fight record is so bad...
...need to hit a woman to get a win...
...you're just one sorry son of a ...

... :punch: ...

Dutch Lane said:
Please, please just one more comment before you leave this thread forever. :cry: So it is ok for Urban to lie to the masses? If yes, please explain why. :thumb:

Other than the coincidence of UM and OSU having football programs, I see no reason this needs be on this board or a concern of those looking for Griz football or FCS material. Its not our fight, we have no say, and what happens will happen, or not, regardless of any comment on this board. Minding our own business is a full time job and I don't worry about being poisoned by mob mentality, its already here. Can we just get some fall camp pics of shoe-string grabs or DT's getting knocked on their cans? Please!!

I see that former SEC Chairman and former US Attorney for the Southern District in NY, has been hired to investigate and hire the special committee formed by the Ohio State board. She will be thorough and won't pull punches. This probably isn't a good development for Meyer, or the AD.

I suppose that all of Meyer and Smith's emails and texts (if they still exist) will be gone through. I wonder if Meyer's wife still has the same phone she had in late 2015?

Ohio St has its other scandal going with the former physician, so that probably puts more pressure on Ohio St on this matter too.

I wonder who Meyer's lawyer is.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Dutch Lane said:

Other than the coincidence of UM and OSU having football programs, I see no reason this needs be on this board or a concern of those looking for Griz football or FCS material. Its not our fight, we have no say, and what happens will happen, or not, regardless of any comment on this board. Minding our own business is a full time job and I don't worry about being poisoned by mob mentality, its already here. Can we just get some fall camp pics of shoe-string grabs or DT's getting knocked on their cans? Please!!
Umm let’s see, 2420 total views so far which is the most viewed recent thread on the whole board and your view that other then both having football programs you see no reason for this to be on the board or a concern of those looking for griz football or fcs material (note thread title) Yeah, I don’t see your point. Dude were you an only child?

I still can't figure out what the so-called 2015 incident is.

Just read that the photos of the red arm and neck were from 2014. Might have been sent to other coaches' wife in 2015.

The ex-wife apparently said in a recent interview that there has been nothing abuse since 2015.

A key fact will be what Meyer's wife passed along to him, either verbally or by text or email. Texts may have disappeared long ago. Assume Ohio State's investigators will try to locate old emails to and from Meyer. I suppose this could come down to what Meyer's wife says she told, or didn't tell him. I would guess her texts and phone from 2015 are gone. Would the investigator ask the wife of a coach to turn over her phone for forensic review? In a non-criminal case, it would seem to be a big deal, and perhaps not appropriate, to snoop through all the texts of a coach's wife.

Would she "forget" what she may have told her husband, in terms of details, to say his job and contract?

Unless some bad facts come out, this situation appears to be a tougher one. Staff spouses, and perhaps staff, knew of the situation for years. He appears not to have hit her, as opposed to grabbed her, including her neck (if you believe her). He was never charged with anything related directly to physical abuse. Doesn't seem that Florida or Ohio St "covered up" for him. But some knew, and tried to help the couple.

Now, things have changed with things like the Me Too movement. Things will be judged in retrospect, not as society was in 2015 and 2009.

How would firing the asst coach, in 2009 or 2015, have helped the marriage or this situation? How has firing the coach now helped the situation? No $330,000 salary for child support. Shouldn't the tougher action have been taken by the woman, her family, her close friends, in the first instance? If things were so bad, why didn't she follow up with the police or press charges? I don't get why Meyer or Ohio St should get the blame in this situation. If the police called the Ohio St AD in 2015 to give him a heads up, why should Meyer be fired?

I understand that sometimes heads have to roll. However, I am not sure that firing a successful and high profile football coach is the right thing to do in the situation. Of course, I'm reasonable, and much of the world has seemed to lose its reason over the years, especially in recent years.

No skin of my nose. I"m neither a Meyer or Ohio St fan, but they both are storied and have been very successful.

Dutch Lane said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Dutch Lane said:

Umm let’s see, 2420 total views so far which is the most viewed recent thread on the whole board and your view that other then both having football programs you see no reason for this to be on the board or a concern of those looking for griz football or fcs material (note thread title) Yeah, I don’t see your point. Dude were you an only child?

Car Wreck Syndrome. Nothing more.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Dutch Lane said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Dutch Lane said:

Car Wreck Syndrome. Nothing more.

Interesting subject, with many posts by terrific posters.

Back