• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will Gregorak's Defense Be Tops in Big Sky Again?

AZGrizFan said:
indian-outlaw said:
AZGrizFan said:
The defense that's going to "be on the field a LOT more....getting gassed by the end of the game" is the opposition. THEY'RE the ones who have to defend 90-100 plays, not OURS. Why is that concept so difficult to comprehend?
The concept is not what anyone is having trouble comprehending. If it was simple and worked every time don't you think everyone would do it. I think we are going to go through major growing pains with this system. It will take time and I don't think it will iron itself out in fall camp. We may be in for a long season this year. I love the optimism but I just don't think it gonna be all strippers and burritos this year.

I actually agree with you here...which is why I've made a personal promise to myself not to fillet Stitt if the team struggles this year (like I did on this board to Pflu in his first year/struggles). :oops: :oops:

I guess I was talking more "long term"...

We agree then. I hope we hit the ground running on all cylinders and we very well could. The pieces are in place now to have an awesome run of griz football for years to come but we might just have to be a little patient. Although we have great athletes on the roster now Delaney did not exactly recruit the type of players needed for Stitts offense to really pour it on.

indian-outlaw said:
AZGrizFan said:
The defense that's going to "be on the field a LOT more....getting gassed by the end of the game" is the opposition. THEY'RE the ones who have to defend 90-100 plays, not OURS. Why is that concept so difficult to comprehend?
The concept is not what anyone is having trouble comprehending. If it was simple and worked every time don't you think everyone would do it. I think we are going to go through major growing pains with this system. It will take time and I don't think it will iron itself out in fall camp. We may be in for a long season this year. I love the optimism but I just don't think it gonna be all strippers and burritos this year.

Actually, if you read poorgriz posts on our offense, he still seems clearly confused as to the concept of this offense, indicating it as quick strike, low TOP offense, so AZ post was spot on...I'm pretty optimistic this year, but doesn't mean we won't lose 3-4 games. Our offense was not good last year. We still won a playoff game. For me, it will come down to qb and o-line. And I don't agree that we don't have the right players to run this offense well. It is not that strange of an offense. Hell, Stitt might be here ten years and not have a better two receivers than Henderson and Jones, as a small example. His play-calling, creativity, and attention to detail is what will really make this thing go, imo.

Alaska Griz said:
indian-outlaw said:
AZGrizFan said:

Actually, if you read poorgriz posts on our offense, he still seems clearly confused as to the concept of this offense, indicating it as quick strike, low TOP offense, so AZ post was spot on...I'm pretty optimistic this year, but doesn't mean we won't lose 3-4 games. Our offense was not good last year. We still won a playoff game. For me, it will come down to qb and o-line.
I don't think the argument was that we were a quick strike offense, not even poorgriz was saying that. Although you may be right, I could be confused. Stitt will be trying to implement a possession control offense but my argument is that it may not work as planned right out of the box no matter how it looks on paper. I think it is similar to what Mike leach tries to do. Taking over a pro set with that type of personnel and switch it over in a year is bound to have growing pains. FCS is also a bit different that DIV II, not a ton but Coach Stitt will have to adjust to the difference. I am saying the concept is great and I think most people understand it. The execution of it is the crux of the argument. Poorgriz thinks we will struggle to execute and I agree that we are going to have some growing pains with TOP which will leave our defense vulnerable even though they are most likely the best in the league. If we are patient we could be in for some great football but we may have to suffer through a longer adjustment period than most here think.

I like our D's chances, led by our corps of veteran linebackers, Gamboa, Kose, and Van Ackeren. We will miss Wags, but I think Holmes and Crittenden will step up at DE, with Schye playing a key backup role. With a young secondary, they will need to put pressure on the opposing QB or we will give up some big plays.

And with Kidder back at DT--hopefully healthy after last year's injury, and with Peavey, Bradley and our converted FB WIlson at DT, they should be able to hopefully clog up the middle to stuff the run.

Plus, Ty is going into his 3rd or 4th year now as our DC, and I think he is learning and maturing as his tenure progresses.

The caveat is always "if we can stay healthy," so saying that, I like our D going into the season, especially if Coach Stitt's O works as advertised, and they are not on the field for 35-40 minutes a game !!!

indian-outlaw said:
Alaska Griz said:
indian-outlaw said:
AZGrizFan said:

Actually, if you read poorgriz posts on our offense, he still seems clearly confused as to the concept of this offense, indicating it as quick strike, low TOP offense, so AZ post was spot on...I'm pretty optimistic this year, but doesn't mean we won't lose 3-4 games. Our offense was not good last year. We still won a playoff game. For me, it will come down to qb and o-line.
I don't think the argument was that we were a quick strike offense, not even poorgriz was saying that. Although you may be right, I could be confused. Stitt will be trying to implement a possession control offense but my argument is that it may not work as planned right out of the box no matter how it looks on paper. I think it is similar to what Mike leach tries to do. Taking over a pro set with that type of personnel and switch it over in a year is bound to have growing pains. FCS is also a bit different that DIV II, not a ton but Coach Stitt will have to adjust to the difference. I am saying the concept is great and I think most people understand it. The execution of it is the crux of the argument. Poorgriz thinks we will struggle to execute and I agree that we are going to have some growing pains with TOP which will leave our defense vulnerable even though they are most likely the best in the league. If we are patient we could be in for some great football but we may have to suffer through a longer adjustment period than most here think.

Indian Outlaw is dead on with what I was saying. Not once did I say Stitt was trying to implement a quick strike offense. In fact I even called out that in Stitt's best case scenario drive, let's say 5 yards a pop for 16 plays resulting in a TD..... that's still going to only take 3 and a half minutes or so and your D gets back on the field. Throwing in a couple longer plays in there, or Settling for a longer FG try, punting, turning over on downs, or an outright turnover are all things that gets your D back on the field quicker. It’s not smack at all, just reality – and you’ll see what I’m talking about this year. Additionally, just because Stitt says he wants to run 100 plays AND control the TOP doesn’t automatically make it so. He may be able to accomplish that but only time will tell. Finally, I know he’s billed as an innovator with that fly sweep play but he’s not exactly breaking new ground here in terms of running an up tempo, west coast, spread, whatever you want to call it….. offense in the Big Sky. We’ve been doing it, along with EWU, ISU, and perhaps to a lesser extent Cal Poly, and some other Big Sky teams. None of those teams as far as AI know have come out and said… we are a quick strike huge play offense and we want to lose the time of possession. It’s the nature of the beast. Are you telling me you’re not going to have big play quick strike plays in the playbook? Of course not. Welcome to the party. Kramer did have one good point in his interview, “Stitt says they’re going to play fast, we DO play fast… proven.”

True story poorgriz. I think a short pass ball control offense is interesting. Should be fun to watch and frustrating for the opposition, especially when the grizz are on a march. However, a lot of shit can happen when the ball is in the air...EWU, MSU, and last year's ISU are the "high-powered offenses" that the BSC is nationally known for. You're welcome grizz, and you're late to the party.

A 16 play drive that you said will only take 3.5 minutes will be much better than our 3 and out offense last year that only took 45 secs. Our defense handled that just fine. Any drive at all this year is a bonus. I've never seen so many 3 and outs than I did last year. What our D did last year was a Christmas miracle when you take into account how inept the offense was MOST the time

When the grizz face a team that will inevitably shut the short passing game down, will they be able to ground a pound? How does the RB stable look for the grizz these days?

that's a valid question Iron. Stitt made a statement that we will have a 1000 yard rusher and that he did at school of mines often. We don't have a proven Canada or Van this year but have some boys who have seen the field plenty in Nyugen, Counts, and an emerging Logwood. I don't think anyone will be able to say for certain whether we will have the ability to ground and pound until the season gets underway. Logwood did have around 100 yards rushing in the spring scrimmage.

HookedonGriz said:
A 16 play drive that you said will only take 3.5 minutes will be much better than our 3 and out offense last year that only took 45 secs. Our defense handled that just fine. Any drive at all this year is a bonus. I've never seen so many 3 and outs than I did last year. What our D did last year was a Christmas miracle when you take into account how inept the offense was MOST the time

That's a good point. I wonder what your overall stats looked like last year in terms of total TOP for all games, # of plays run by the griz, # of plays run by opponents, etc. Maybe I'll look that up and we can compare when the 2015 season ends. I know the Bobcat D was at or near the top of the Big Sky for a few years in a row but now has obviously taken a huge nosedive in the past couple years and it coincides with when we decided to open up the offense and play much faster and maximize the snaps we're getting in every game.

poorgriz said:
Indian Outlaw is dead on with what I was saying. Not once did I say Stitt was trying to implement a quick strike offense. In fact I even called out that in Stitt's best case scenario drive, let's say 5 yards a pop for 16 plays resulting in a TD..... that's still going to only take 3 and a half minutes or so and your D gets back on the field. Throwing in a couple longer plays in there, or Settling for a longer FG try, punting, turning over on downs, or an outright turnover are all things that gets your D back on the field quicker. It’s not smack at all, just reality – and you’ll see what I’m talking about this year. Additionally, just because Stitt says he wants to run 100 plays AND control the TOP doesn’t automatically make it so. He may be able to accomplish that but only time will tell. Finally, I know he’s billed as an innovator with that fly sweep play but he’s not exactly breaking new ground here in terms of running an up tempo, west coast, spread, whatever you want to call it….. offense in the Big Sky. We’ve been doing it, along with EWU, ISU, and perhaps to a lesser extent Cal Poly, and some other Big Sky teams. None of those teams as far as AI know have come out and said… we are a quick strike huge play offense and we want to lose the time of possession. It’s the nature of the beast. Are you telling me you’re not going to have big play quick strike plays in the playbook? Of course not. Welcome to the party. Kramer did have one good point in his interview, “Stitt says they’re going to play fast, we DO play fast… proven.”

"Playing fast" <> 90-100 plays per game, although ISU WAS the closest to that number last year:

ISU averaged 83 plays/game last year (TOP 28:21)
MSU averaged 74 (TOP 31:46)
EWU averaged 77 (TOP 31:24)
CP averaged 79 (TOP 31:41)

UM averaged 64 plays per game (TOP 28:09). Conversely, School of Mines averaged 91 plays per game last year (TOP 31:44). That's 17 MORE plays than MSU, in almost the exact same time of possession. Thus, if it works as designed, the OPPOSITION (i.e., EWU, MSU, ISU, etc.,) will have the ball LESS than they're typically used to, which should, in all likelihood, DROP their average TOP and thus # of plays they're able to run in a given 60 minute game.

But all that being said, I'm not sure how anyone can argue that, when any OFFENSE is running 90-100 plays a game, it's the OPPOSING defense that's going to get gassed, reacting to 90-100 plays a game, not that same team's defense.

Thank you AZGriz for the stats to back it up. That was my point, too. The Griz offense last year was so inept that they only averaged 64 plays per game and still were on the bottom feeders in terms of TOP. If the defense did what they did last year with that poor of offensive production, then any sustained drives at all this season should have them on the field any less. Most think that Stitt's fast offense automatically leads to our defense being on the field more. I am willing to bet our offense definitely averages MUCH more than 64 plays per game and the TOP will be better than 28 mpg. This leads to the D being on the field less. I think our defensive effort last year was even more impressive now after seeing those stats.

And to piggyback on that even further.....let's look at NDSU. They pride themselves on controlling the line of scrimmage and a pro-set ground and pound attack that would always lead to higher TOP. Last year, they averaged 34 mpg and 73 plays. The Griz tried to do a pro-set ground and pound to gain TOP but we failed miserably as evidenced by only 28 mpg and only 64 plays. That's why I think the theory that our defense will automatically drop off bc of a Stitt offense doesn't have enough weight to back it up. If anything I would hope to see an improvement.

I feel like our defense will be better! You can't replace Wags, but Holmes will not disappoint! The front line is still strong, and hopefully Kidder stays healthy. The linebackers are quick and have another year of the same defense under their belts. The DB's will be better with Rasmussen. He could be all big sky by the end of the season. The secondary will be a vast improvement from last year.
Lastly, the offense will be a key to the defense. The ball control strategy of Stitt will be the difference! Just because it's a high number of plays, doesn't mean that time won't run off the clock. It's still ball control. After last years run-run-pass strategy, opening the offense up is welcomed. Yeah, it's a new offense, but coach Stitt won't throw everything at them at once. As the season goes on, Stitt will add more to the offense. The rest of the Big Sky has to figure out Stitt too! Gonna be a fun season.

rocklobster said:
I feel like our defense will be better! You can't replace Wags, but Holmes will not disappoint! The front line is still strong, and hopefully Kidder stays healthy. The linebackers are quick and have another year of the same defense under their belts. The DB's will be better with Rasmussen. He could be all big sky by the end of the season. The secondary will be a vast improvement from last year.
Lastly, the offense will be a key to the defense. The ball control strategy of Stitt will be the difference! Just because it's a high number of plays, doesn't mean that time won't run off the clock. It's still ball control. After last years run-run-pass strategy, opening the offense up is welcomed. Yeah, it's a new offense, but coach Stitt won't throw everything at them at once. As the season goes on, Stitt will add more to the offense. The rest of the Big Sky has to figure out Stitt too! Gonna be a fun season.

Well said. :thumb:

Yes, TG's D will be ranked tops again in the BSC. But they'll also be ranked like 39th in the nation again too.....

PlayerRep said:
I believe the UM defense will be as good as it was last year, with a chance of being better. The defense was at the top of the Big Sky last year. Far from perfect, and had some weaker games, but overall was good to very good. Was terrific in the redzone last year, but not as good in the middle of the field at times.

The backers are the same and would seem to be a year better. Did well in pre-season teams.

D-line lost some good players, but should be fairly strong if it can develop some depth. I'm hoping converted fullback Wilson can have a big year, and hopefully Schye adapts to d-end.

The secondary has multiple younger and newer players, so will have to come together. The secondary has alot of players who have the potential to be good. The AZ transfer is huge and looks like a stud. Don't think UM has anyone else who looks like him. Hopefully, he can play as well as he looks.

One question I have is whether Stitt's aggressiveness on 4th down will impact the defense. I suppose success on 4th would help, and lack of success would hurt.

I have more questions about the offense.
Are you sure?

HookedonGriz said:
Thank you AZGriz for the stats to back it up. That was my point, too. The Griz offense last year was so inept that they only averaged 64 plays per game and still were on the bottom feeders in terms of TOP. If the defense did what they did last year with that poor of offensive production, then any sustained drives at all this season should have them on the field any less. Most think that Stitt's fast offense automatically leads to our defense being on the field more. I am willing to bet our offense definitely averages MUCH more than 64 plays per game and the TOP will be better than 28 mpg. This leads to the D being on the field less. I think our defensive effort last year was even more impressive now after seeing those stats.

You guys aren't getting it. Stint said he wants to run a play every 12 seconds or something like that. That will absolutely lead to your defense being on the field for more snaps throughout the course of a game, regardless of how successful those offensive snaps are for you. That is my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

Back