• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will Gregorak's Defense Be Tops in Big Sky Again?

brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:
I believe the UM defense will be as good as it was last year, with a chance of being better. The defense was at the top of the Big Sky last year. Far from perfect, and had some weaker games, but overall was good to very good. Was terrific in the redzone last year, but not as good in the middle of the field at times.

The backers are the same and would seem to be a year better. Did well in pre-season teams.

D-line lost some good players, but should be fairly strong if it can develop some depth. I'm hoping converted fullback Wilson can have a big year, and hopefully Schye adapts to d-end.

The secondary has multiple younger and newer players, so will have to come together. The secondary has alot of players who have the potential to be good. The AZ transfer is huge and looks like a stud. Don't think UM has anyone else who looks like him. Hopefully, he can play as well as he looks.

One question I have is whether Stitt's aggressiveness on 4th down will impact the defense. I suppose success on 4th would help, and lack of success would hurt.

I have more questions about the offense.
Are you sure?

Well, he has played the game, so....

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
Thank you AZGriz for the stats to back it up. That was my point, too. The Griz offense last year was so inept that they only averaged 64 plays per game and still were on the bottom feeders in terms of TOP. If the defense did what they did last year with that poor of offensive production, then any sustained drives at all this season should have them on the field any less. Most think that Stitt's fast offense automatically leads to our defense being on the field more. I am willing to bet our offense definitely averages MUCH more than 64 plays per game and the TOP will be better than 28 mpg. This leads to the D being on the field less. I think our defensive effort last year was even more impressive now after seeing those stats.

You guys aren't getting it. Stint said he wants to run a play every 12 seconds or something like that. That will absolutely lead to your defense being on the field for more snaps throughout the course of a game, regardless of how successful those offensive snaps are for you. That is my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

Actually not accurate. How many plays the Griz run on offense has no influence on how many plays the opponent will run on offense...they are independent of each other.

CV Griz Fan said:
Yes, TG's D will be ranked tops again in the BSC. But they'll also be ranked like 39th in the nation again too.....

It looks like 8 playoff teams were ranked ahead of UM in Total Defense. That is quite good and puts 39th in perspective.

UM was 19th in the nation in Scoring Defense. It looks like only 5 playoff teams had better rankings in Scoring D. That is very good, especially against the schedule UM played.

UM put up its defensive numbers in a conference with the nos. 1, 2, 6, 10, 16, 30, 34, 40 and 42 passing offenses in the country. High-scoring conferences lead to lower defensive numbers.

The BSC also had the nos. 1, 7, 23, 27, 39 and 44 Rushing Offenses. Again, fairly high rushing rankings.

You keep harping as if 39th was bad in total defense, but it really wasn't. 39th was pretty good, compared to playoff teams, and was done in a offensive-minded conference. And you ignore Scoring Defense, probably the more important stat. And you ignore Red Zone Defense, which was pretty good for UM.

You are just plain biased and ignore reality. You don't like Gregorak, apparently because your kid didn't play at UM, according to several posters.

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
Thank you AZGriz for the stats to back it up. That was my point, too. The Griz offense last year was so inept that they only averaged 64 plays per game and still were on the bottom feeders in terms of TOP. If the defense did what they did last year with that poor of offensive production, then any sustained drives at all this season should have them on the field any less. Most think that Stitt's fast offense automatically leads to our defense being on the field more. I am willing to bet our offense definitely averages MUCH more than 64 plays per game and the TOP will be better than 28 mpg. This leads to the D being on the field less. I think our defensive effort last year was even more impressive now after seeing those stats.

You guys aren't getting it. Stint said he wants to run a play every 12 seconds or something like that. That will absolutely lead to your defense being on the field for more snaps throughout the course of a game, regardless of how successful those offensive snaps are for you. That is my prediction and I'm sticking to it.
You are right, running a play every 15 seconds or so will make for quick drives. 4 minutes would be a long one. Baylor runs a similar offense to what Stitt does and they usually are in the endzone in less than 2 minutes, and honestly that's how it's supposed to be with good receivers.

PlayerRep said:
Here's a repeat of AZGriz' post from another thread:

MSU: Averaged 38.2 PPG. Scored 7
EWU: Averaged 44.1 PPG. Scored 37 & 36
Sac St: Averaged 38.1. Scored 13
NDSU: Averaged 32.9. Scored 22 (The same guys who put up 34 on a Big 10 school and scored 38,27,39,35 and 29 in their playoff run)
SUU: Averaged 23.7. Scored 17
Wyoming: Averaged 23.5 (Against MWC foes). Scored 17
San Diego: Averaged 26.1. Scored 14
South Dakota: Averaged 19.4 against MFVC. Scored 20

I could go through and dissect the YPC, TOP, etc., etc., but why bother. Suffice it to say that if LAST YEAR'S defense shows up with what we're anticipating out of Stitt's OFFENSE, this should be a VERY fun year to watch football.
AZGriz left out Cal Poly.

Cal Poly averaged 33.8. Scored 41.

HookedonGriz said:
that's a valid question Iron. Stitt made a statement that we will have a 1000 yard rusher and that he did at school of mines often. We don't have a proven Canada or Van this year but have some boys who have seen the field plenty in Nyugen, Counts, and an emerging Logwood. I don't think anyone will be able to say for certain whether we will have the ability to ground and pound until the season gets underway. Logwood did have around 100 yards rushing in the spring scrimmage.

Oh yeah, forgot about Nyugen. If I recall he is pretty shifty like his older brother was.

Poorgriz I see your point but Shitt can run a ton of plays and have a high TOP if he is only getting 3-4 yards per play, which based on my limited understanding of his system, would be by design. This would obviously keep the opposing D on the field for a higher number of plays and a longer time. MSU also believes in owning the TOP by having long sustained drives, but the offense was so explosive and prolific last year, that they couldn't help but score in 1-2 mins. That is part of the reason the Cats D was gassed in the 4th quarter so often. All I know is that there are a ton of story lines in the BSC this year and it's going to be very fun to watch.

IroneagleXP said:
Poorgriz I see your point but Shitt can run a ton of plays and have a high TOP if he is only getting 3-4 yards per play, which based on my limited understanding of his system, would be by design. This would obviously keep the opposing D on the field for a higher number of plays and a longer time. MSU also believes in owning the TOP by having long sustained drives, but the offense was so explosive and prolific last year, that they couldn't help but score in 1-2 mins. That is part of the reason the Cats D was gassed in the 4th quarter so often. All I know is that there are a ton of story lines in the BSC this year and it's going to be very fun to watch.

If I recall correctly the MSU offense was pretty darn fast last year at WaGriz. In fact I dont recall ever seeing the Cats put up numbers like they did. IT was scary how quick and often they struck with the passing game... They force you into things you don't do that often. Our D was totally gassed from all those int returns and downfield blocking.

PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
Yes, TG's D will be ranked tops again in the BSC. But they'll also be ranked like 39th in the nation again too.....

It looks like 8 playoff teams were ranked ahead of UM in Total Defense. That is quite good and puts 39th in perspective.

UM was 19th in the nation in Scoring Defense. It looks like only 5 playoff teams had better rankings in Scoring D. That is very good, especially against the schedule UM played.

UM put up its defensive numbers in a conference with the nos. 1, 2, 6, 10, 16, 30, 34, 40 and 42 passing offenses in the country. High-scoring conferences lead to lower defensive numbers.

The BSC also had the nos. 1, 7, 23, 27, 39 and 44 Rushing Offenses. Again, fairly high rushing rankings.

You keep harping as if 39th was bad in total defense, but it really wasn't. 39th was pretty good, compared to playoff teams, and was done in a offensive-minded conference. And you ignore Scoring Defense, probably the more important stat. And you ignore Red Zone Defense, which was pretty good for UM.

You are just plain biased and ignore reality. You don't like Gregorak, apparently because your kid didn't play at UM, according to several posters.

How is posting about the national defensive rankings biased? Is talking about the conference defensive rankings only biased? In many posts I have commented on the good Griz scoring D so I am not ignoring that fact. I just don't believe scoring D is the "end all". Other posters have talked about TG's ability to develop a National Championship type D. Maybe he finally will. I don't know. Only time will tell.
I don't necessarily agree with posters who pull out the "PR is biased" card all the time either. Why are you so quick to point the finger? If you have an opinion, post it. The season is here. We'll see how things play out......

CV, you have used the no. 39 stat multiple times. You provide no context, like I did, and no other stats. You act like it is a bad stat and proves that Gregorak isn't a good AD. The discussion has been about whether Gregorak's defense will be good, or tops in the Big Sky, or not. It has not been about whether it can be a championship defense. That is a different discussion, in my view.

CV Griz Fan said:
In many posts I have commented on the good Griz scoring D so I am not ignoring that fact. I just don't believe scoring D is the "end all". Other posters have talked about TG's ability to develop a National Championship type D. Maybe he finally will. I don't know. Only time will tell.

How in the WORLD can that stat not be the "end all"? I couldn't care less if the Griz gave up 500 ypg to opposing teams if we lead the league/conference/FCS in scoring defense. The objective of the game is to score more points than your opponent, not hold them to less yards, less TOP, etc.,etc.

At the end of the day, Scoring D is the only stat that matters.

PlayerRep said:
CV, you have used the no. 39 stat multiple times. You provide no context, like I did, and no other stats. You act like it is a bad stat and proves that Gregorak isn't a good AD. The discussion has been about whether Gregorak's defense will be good, or tops in the Big Sky, or not. It has not been about whether it can be a championship defense. That is a different discussion, in my view.

Fair enough. But at some point, TG will have to broaden things beyond the BSC to be viewed as a good DC. You are a former defensive player. You know that poor numbers against the run and pass are indicative of something. I do agree with your assessment on the Big Sky passing offenses skewing the Griz statistical results. But the Griz haven't been ranked that great nationally against the run either. Even though they reside in a predominantly passing conference. We'll see how things go this season for TG and the Griz D. I think everyone will have a better understanding of where they are on the national scene after August 29th.

IroneagleXP said:
HookedonGriz said:
that's a valid question Iron. Stitt made a statement that we will have a 1000 yard rusher and that he did at school of mines often. We don't have a proven Canada or Van this year but have some boys who have seen the field plenty in Nyugen, Counts, and an emerging Logwood. I don't think anyone will be able to say for certain whether we will have the ability to ground and pound until the season gets underway. Logwood did have around 100 yards rushing in the spring scrimmage.

Oh yeah, forgot about Nyugen. If I recall he is pretty shifty like his older brother was.

Yep Nyugen is shifty like his brother but is a bit bigger and more powerful. He will take on a tackler as opposed to Peter who would tend to skirt around them. I think Nyugen will be a good back for Stitt's offense as he uses his backs to catch a lot of passes and Nyugen seems to do that well. Where most have a problem with Nyugen is as a punt returner. He has put the ball on the ground a few times in that role. To be fair he also took one to the house and had some nice returns.

grizindabox said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Actually not accurate. How many plays the Griz run on offense has no influence on how many plays the opponent will run on offense...they are independent of each other.

Again, people aren't getting it. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NUMBER OF PLAYS YOU'RE RUNNING, IT'S THE AMOUNT OF TIME BETWEEN THE PLAYS! You'll see what I'm talking about soon.

IroneagleXP said:
HookedonGriz said:

I was going to agree, then I reread your post and you said "shifty"

poorgriz said:
grizindabox said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Again, people aren't getting it. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NUMBER OF PLAYS YOU'RE RUNNING, IT'S THE AMOUNT OF TIME BETWEEN THE PLAYS! You'll see what I'm talking about soon.

Funny, true that TOP has to do with time between plays, but the number of plays also factors in. And if you look at TOP for CSM last season, they had the ball for over 31:30 per game. Montana did not have TOP like that last season. Any team that does not convert on 3rd down to keep the chains moving will have poor TOP, so that would be a bigger factor than time between plays.

Fair enough, sounds like we pretty much agree. In fact I'll concede that IF Stitt is able to find a way to to run 100 plays a game AND win the TOP battle, then your defense will not be on the field any longer than what you've seen the past few years. However, that remains to be seen if he can pull that off at this level. I see you D being on the field for significantly more plays throughout the season, as least for the first two or three years of the Stitt era.

Back