• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will Gregorak's Defense Be Tops in Big Sky Again?

poorgriz said:
Fair enough, sounds like we pretty much agree. In fact I'll concede that IF Stitt is able to find a way to to run 100 plays a game AND win the TOP battle, then your defense will not be on the field any longer than what you've seen the past few years. However, that remains to be seen if he can pull that off at this level. I see you D being on the field for significantly more plays throughout the season, as least for the first two or three years of the Stitt era.
i think we can agree that UM's defense will be on the field for significantly more plays throughout December than the MSU defense will be.

Grizbeer said:
poorgriz said:
Fair enough, sounds like we pretty much agree. In fact I'll concede that IF Stitt is able to find a way to to run 100 plays a game AND win the TOP battle, then your defense will not be on the field any longer than what you've seen the past few years. However, that remains to be seen if he can pull that off at this level. I see you D being on the field for significantly more plays throughout the season, as least for the first two or three years of the Stitt era.
i think we can agree that UM's defense will be on the field for significantly more plays throughout December than the MSU defense will be.

1363863597925139587.GIF

blackfoot griz said:
Nothing mentioned yet about our favorable turnover margin last year...will it happen again?

With a new QB having that many attempts per game...probably not.

Htowngriz said:
blackfoot griz said:
Nothing mentioned yet about our favorable turnover margin last year...will it happen again?

With a new QB having that many attempts per game...probably not.

There was a huge emphasis on the secondary making plays on the ball in the spring. I'm hoping we will see many more interceptions this year. Aggressiveness is being preached!

poorgriz said:
grizindabox said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
Thank you AZGriz for the stats to back it up. That was my point, too. The Griz offense last year was so inept that they only averaged 64 plays per game and still were on the bottom feeders in terms of TOP. If the defense did what they did last year with that poor of offensive production, then any sustained drives at all this season should have them on the field any less. Most think that Stitt's fast offense automatically leads to our defense being on the field more. I am willing to bet our offense definitely averages MUCH more than 64 plays per game and the TOP will be better than 28 mpg. This leads to the D being on the field less. I think our defensive effort last year was even more impressive now after seeing those stats.

You guys aren't getting it. Stint said he wants to run a play every 12 seconds or something like that. That will absolutely lead to your defense being on the field for more snaps throughout the course of a game, regardless of how successful those offensive snaps are for you. That is my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

Actually not accurate. How many plays the Griz run on offense has no influence on how many plays the opponent will run on offense...they are independent of each other.

Again, people aren't getting it. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NUMBER OF PLAYS YOU'RE RUNNING, IT'S THE AMOUNT OF TIME BETWEEN THE PLAYS! You'll see what I'm talking about soon.

An absolutely false assumption. Plain and simple it is you who isn't getting it. Unless the offense fails miserably and there's a ton of 3 or 4 & outs, in which case they won't ever get to 90-100 plays anyways.

Grizbeer said:
poorgriz said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :clap:

poorgriz said:
Again, people aren't getting it. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NUMBER OF PLAYS YOU'RE RUNNING, IT'S THE AMOUNT OF TIME BETWEEN THE PLAYS! You'll see what I'm talking about soon.

If ToP is the only stat you are looking at, yes the time between plays might make a difference. IF you are assuming that both teams are getting in a similar number of plays.

The number of plays WILL make a difference as to how tired the defense will get by the end of the game. That is an extra 20 to 30 time that you would have chance down the ball carrier in a game. Or in a long drive with a bunch of short passes and short runs, fired off in quick succession. Football normally has quite a bit of down time: play for 10 seconds, and then talk about it for the next 30 seconds. If you can keep the big guys moving, putting 100% effort, for a solid 4-5 minute straight you are going to see the DT huffing and Puffing. While attempting to make a goal line stand. Watch for it.

If the Griz can't get a strong completion percentage, then you'll be correct. That is the stat you should be focusing on.

Griz!ron said:
poorgriz said:

If ToP is the only stat you are looking at, yes the time between plays might make a difference. IF you are assuming that both teams are getting in a similar number of plays.

The number of plays WILL make a difference as to how tired the defense will get by the end of the game. That is an extra 20 to 30 time that you would have chance down the ball carrier in a game. Or in a long drive with a bunch of short passes and short runs, fired off in quick succession. Football normally has quite a bit of down time: play for 10 seconds, and then talk about it for the next 30 seconds. If you can keep the big guys moving, putting 100% effort, for a solid 4-5 minute straight you are going to see the DT huffing and Puffing. While attempting to make a goal line stand. Watch for it.

If the Griz can't get a strong completion percentage, then you'll be correct. That is the stat you should be focusing on.

Yards per play. Yards per attempt. Yards per completion.

Gonna be fun watching defenses puking on the field in the 3rd/4th quarters... :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
Griz!ron said:
poorgriz said:

Gonna be fun watching defenses puking on the field in the 3rd/4th quarters... :lol: :lol:

I'd rather not watch anyone puking. :thumb: :clap: :lol:

mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:
Griz!ron said:
poorgriz said:

I'd rather not watch anyone puking. :thumb: :clap: :lol:

$hit.... we just finally got them to do the false start counter.... how long will it take to put up the puke meter on Griz Vision??

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
IroneagleXP said:
HookedonGriz said:
that's a valid question Iron. Stitt made a statement that we will have a 1000 yard rusher and that he did at school of mines often. We don't have a proven Canada or Van this year but have some boys who have seen the field plenty in Nyugen, Counts, and an emerging Logwood. I don't think anyone will be able to say for certain whether we will have the ability to ground and pound until the season gets underway. Logwood did have around 100 yards rushing in the spring scrimmage.

Oh yeah, forgot about Nyugen. If I recall he is pretty shifty like his older brother was.
I was going to agree, then I reread your post and you said "shifty"
Lol :thumb:

Griz!ron said:
poorgriz said:
you are automatically deciding to put your defense back on the field for more plays as well. More plays equals more yards and more points in the long run. This is a simple concept. Even if your defense is "better" in 2015, they'll be on the field a LOT more, and chances are they'll get gassed by the end of the game regardless of how much you platoon. Before all the haters jump on here and rip me for for this and try to tell me it's just wishful thinking, tell me where I'm wrong. EVEN in a perfect scenario for Stitt, which sounds like a 20 play drive resulting in a TD, you're still giving the ball back quicker than you're used to on average.

The offense will be a spread version of the west coast system, e.g. possession passing, ball control. The 20 play drives will be verses teams that 'keep everything in front of them,' allowing the short passes. As long as you can get 3-4 yards on each short toss you will be unstoppable. That is part of the reasoning behind the quick pace. Keep them in the same defensive formation and dink away at the yardage.

That is exactly why the Griz will move the ball on NDSU. Anyone with a pulse knows that the bison employ a Tampa 2 defense, which is specifically designed to "keep everything in front of them". The two deep safties take the deep outer thirds and the mike linebacker drops to the deep middle...leaving open underneath the middle for our big slot receivers to catch passes at-will. I can't wait to thrash them.

Gregorak's defense will be great again (allow low points per game) this year. Because he's a good coach, and he's got good players. End of story.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Gregorak's defense will be great again (allow low points per game) this year. Because he's a good coach, and he's got good players. End of story.

The Wise 'ol Nostradomas' of egriz may have had a swing and a miss on poor old Willie Phlug's talent but after Ty's "career enhancement" move the old hands of e-griz may have finally got it right!!! :mrgreen:

Teton Cat said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

The Wise 'ol Nostradomas' of egriz may have had a swing and a miss on poor old Willie Phlug's talent but after Ty's "career enhancement" move the old hands of e-griz may have finally got it right!!! :mrgreen:

Good luck! Gregorak has a huge task ahead of him with your pathetic defense. Maybe the Bobcats will be preseason champs once again, but 5-6 is the reality.

Teton Cat said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Im really surprised that you even post on here anymore after the colossal a$$beatings you have endured on here! :lol:

Hammer said:
Teton Cat said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Im really surprised that you even post on here anymore after the colossal a$$beatings you have endured on here! :lol:

True. Teton Cat has been beat down here almost as many times as his cats have by the Griz in the last 30 years. What is it? 25?

Now now. TG's defense will hold teams under 995 yard total offense and 58 points per game, and Teton will be back here (in December after a 49 point beat down in the brawl) claiming how "right" he was.

With all respect to Griz Nation and those on eGriz, I feel there is some well deserved clarification due to you all!! First off there is a lot to be excited for in the near future!! The staff is excited with how the first year went but believes the potential and what could have been achieved is so much more. There is some amazing young talent on this team. The class of 2015 and the potetial they bring is beyond expectations and the current commits for 2016 are as exciting! The future of Griz Football is something... The staff is shaping up to exactly how Coach wants it to be. Jason is a very sought after, bright young energetic DC that will upgrade this team more than many on here believe. He is the brains of all that was good with the D. I Love TG and with all due respect, he was more of a mayor and face than he was a defensive genius. If you understand just go back and watch. We ARE better! "Biggest loss is Legi, very good coach". As far as coaches you will more than likely see two D line coaches. I would bet BH will move to linebackers where he is better fit and more knowledged...the position he played and coached! Lastly expect either transfers or scholarships left open for transfers for positions in need of mature players that can step in and play now. We need them"now".

I won't post much nor often nevertheless happy new year GrizNation!!

Back