• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will NDSU "4-peat?"

Cujo said:
NDSU will go undefeated once again with a roster of all true freshmen and a squirrel as the head coach.

This sir made me laugh. But I was most assuredly over-served this evening!

Good Day!

frozenorth said:
If Wentz is as good as rumored, you might as well start the 'Will NDSU "5-peat?"' thread.

I figure they 4 peat. This year's senior class is much deeper than last years. The seven returning defensive starters have 16 seasons of starting experience between them and the offensive skill positions are stacked. The OL looks promising as well as massive (6'4+ 300+ across the board)

For as much as people talk about 24 seniors leaving, 'only' 8 of those were starters, and of the others few got major minutes. I believe 6 of the coaches this year were here for at least a title over the last 3 years.

It's quite common to hype up someone who is coming in.

Size on the O-line doesn't ALWAYS turn into success(as we saw from our O-line last year.)

While I think NDSU will be a contender I just don't see them winning it all again with how good some teams are this year such as EWU

New coach, new QB, less cohesive unit all together. Ndsu will probably look fantastic some games and mid par other. They will probably get beat enough to have to travel or play a tough opponent at home. I think they fall short this year.

frozenorth said:
If Wentz is as good as rumored, you might as well start the 'Will NDSU "5-peat?"' thread.

I figure they 4 peat. This year's senior class is much deeper than last years. The seven returning defensive starters have 16 seasons of starting experience between them and the offensive skill positions are stacked. The OL looks promising as well as massive (6'4+ 300+ across the board)

For as much as people talk about 24 seniors leaving, 'only' 8 of those were starters, and of the others few got major minutes. I believe 6 of the coaches this year were here for at least a title over the last 3 years.
I swear the the number of returning starters that Bison fans are claiming is increasing by the day.

FN, which of these guys were not starters? (honest question)

Brock Jensen
Sam Oujiri
Kevin Vaadeland
Billy Turner
Tyler Gimmestad
Ryan Smith
Andrew Grothmann
Leevon Perry
Cole Jirik
Grant Olson
Bryan Shepherd
Colten Heagle
Brendin Pierre
Ryan Drevlow
Marcus Williams

Old Shep said:
The FargoDome is a huge advantage!
We used to think that also. It will wear off. 10-20 years ago, no matter how good Coastal Carolina was, they would not have won at Wa Griz.

alabamagrizzly said:
Old Shep said:
We used to think that also. It will wear off. 10-20 years ago, no matter how good Coastal Carolina was, they would not have won at Wa Griz.

Stadium advantage only wears off if there isn't a good team on the field to bring out that advantage.

Both stadiums hold huge homefield advantages, but as we've found out the last few years, teams can't rely on the stadium atmosphere to help win games. It all comes down to how good the home team playing on the field is. If you've got a very good team, the home field advantage is magnified much more in stadiums like Washington-Grizzly and the Fargodome, making it almost impossible for visiting teams to overcome both the team and the fans.

get'em_griz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Old Shep said:

Stadium advantage only wears off if there isn't a good team on the field to bring out that advantage.

Both stadiums hold huge homefield advantages, but as we've found out the last few years, teams can't rely on the stadium atmosphere to help win games. It all comes down to how good the home team playing on the field is. If you've got a very good team, the home field advantage is magnified much more in stadiums like Washington-Grizzly and the Fargodome, making it almost impossible for visiting teams to overcome both the team and the fans.
So by this argument, there's no such thing as home feild advantage. It's still just X's and O's.

Complacent, aging fan base shows...

I recall the noise, excitement in the run up to our first NC Lasting well into another ten years but in my view our noise advantage is tempered.....not what it once was

alabamagrizzly said:
get'em_griz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Old Shep said:

So by this argument, there's no such thing as home feild advantage. It's still just X's and O's.

No, you're misunderstanding what I was trying to get at. (I'm sometimes terrible at trying to explain my thoughts :lol:) There is always homefield advantage with places like WGS and the Fargodome, but a team has to take advantage of its homefield advantage. By playing great football (X's and O's), it makes it difficult for the other team to overcome (1) the home team, and then having to deal with (2) the crowd/noise/cowbells/JMU ribbon-throwing/whatever makes your stadium so tough to play in.

The point is that we have the best homefield advantage in the FCS, but that homefield power couldn't keep the Griz from losing in 2010 and 2012. It was the mediocre play of the Griz that caused us to lose at home. Homefield advantage will always be there, but teams like UM and NDSU have to play good football in order to really take advantage of the homefield advantage.

alabamagrizzly said:
Old Shep said:
I'm for building new. 40,000 to 50,000 retractable domed stadium will met the needs for 40 to 50 years or longer. Multi-purpose football, baseball, softball, soccer, wrestling, hockey and major basketball events like Big Dance regionals or THE FINAL FOUR! It's gotta go somewhere!

get'em_griz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
get'em_griz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

No, you're misunderstanding what I was trying to get at. (I'm sometimes terrible at trying to explain my thoughts :lol:) There is always homefield advantage with places like WGS and the Fargodome, but a team has to take advantage of its homefield advantage. By playing great football (X's and O's), it makes it difficult for the other team to overcome (1) the home team, and then having to deal with (2) the crowd/noise/cowbells/JMU ribbon-throwing/whatever makes your stadium so tough to play in.

The point is that we have the best homefield advantage in the FCS, but that homefield power couldn't keep the Griz from losing in 2010 and 2012. It was the mediocre play of the Griz that caused us to lose at home. Homefield advantage will always be there, but teams like UM and NDSU have to play good football in order to really take advantage of the homefield advantage.
Ya, I get it now. After I pushed submit, I re-read your post and caught on better to what u were sayin. I think that's probably a common mistake around here. My bad.

Brock Landers said:
frozenorth said:

I swear the the number of returning starters that Bison fans are claiming is increasing by the day.

Brock Jensen
Sam Oujiri
Kevin Vaadeland
Billy Turner
Tyler Gimmestad
Ryan Smith
Andrew Grothmann
Leevon Perry
Cole Jirik
Grant Olson
Bryan Shepherd
Colten Heagle
Brendin Pierre
Ryan Drevlow
Marcus Williams

So they lose 5 starters of Defense. Olson, Jirik, Perry, Drevlow and Williams. Olsons replacement saw a lot of action due to his injury. Offense got hit the hardest. They lose 7. Turner, Gimmestad, Vaadeland, Jensen, Grothman, Ojuri, Smith.

So the defense should still be stout. It depends on how the line comes around. So there's confidence that if the offense can score and control the clock, then the defense will be able to operate like they have the last 3 years.

I'm sure I screwed up something somewhere though.

first11 said:
Complacent, aging fan base shows...

I recall the noise, excitement in the run up to our first NC Lasting well into another ten years but in my view our noise advantage is tempered.....not what it once was

Who you calling old?

Brock Landers said:

Brock Jensen
Sam Oujiri
Kevin Vaadeland
Billy Turner
Tyler Gimmestad
Ryan Smith
Andrew Grothmann
Leevon Perry
Cole Jirik
Grant Olson
Bryan Shepherd
Colten Heagle
Brendin Pierre
Ryan Drevlow
Marcus Williams
The 8 that frozennorth mentioned is low, but here is my understanding of the guys that you listed.
Vaadeland - Starter, but he is returning.
Heagle - Starter, but he is returning.
Brendin Pierre didn't start any games last year.
Bryan Shepherd started 6 games last year, so I don't know if he would be considered a starter.
Grant Olson - Started 9 games before getting injured. Didn't start any of the last 6, including the playoffs, so I believe most are counting him as a non-starter.
Grothmann - Some may consider him a non-starter, because he is only shown as officially starting 6 games last year, but I would count him as a starter.

Based on that, NDSU would be losing 6 senior starters on offense (assuming you include Grothmann, which I definitely think you should), and 4-6 on defense depending on if you include Olson and Shepherd, which I could see going either way.

I believe I also heard that another o-lineman will not be returning due to injuries though, so that would make it 7 on offense and 4-6 on defense. Personally, I don't think that's too bad considering how lopsided the playoff games were, BUT, I'm not going to say that NDSU will 4-peat. I think they definitely have a chance and I think they should be somewhere in the top 5 for favorites to win it. However, if I had to pick NDSU or the field, I would have to pick the field.

After all the complaining about NDSU threads I was surprised to see one started by a Griz fan. Were things a little slow around egriz this week? Back to the turnip field...

scarecrow said:
After all the complaining about NDSU threads I was surprised to see one started by a Griz fan. Were things a little slow around egriz this week? Back to the turnip field...

Before last season I started one called "Will NDSU Three-peat?" It's an eGriz tradition!

scarecrow said:
See this one doesn't have the inanity associated with you and Old Shep. Big difference.

Brock Landers said:
scarecrow said:
See this one doesn't have the inanity associated with you and Old Shep. Big difference.

This thread is just as pointless as any other NDSU thread.

Back