• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will Washington Rethink Montana Game..

kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
kemajic said:
George Ferguson said:
They are definitley looking into it I'm told. But, they are only willing to get out of it for a home game against a fellow P5. A lot of those teams have their schedules done and locked. So, it might be hard for UDub to find the game they're looking for. But, from what I heard, they are most definitely looking fort that game.

And while I agree with PL, that it might be in Montana's best interest to get that game bought out, it's going to make life pretty tough on Kent to find a decent FCS game to replace it with, especially when the other home game is unfortunately going to be a DII.
The 10 2017 games listed on GoGriz.com does not feature a DII. Are you saying the 11th game is a DII?

He is saying that the 11th game will most likely be a D2
I missed the "most likely" part in his post. Haslam has said he will only schedule a DII if there is not other alternatives. With the buy-out money from Udub (which I have heard is substantial) he could afford to bring in a more expensive opponent or even visit a lower FBS like Idaho, an 8-4 team this year.

I am fairly certain, as things stand currently, that the 11th game will be a D2 team. I think Udub would like to buy out the Montana game, but I am not sure they can find another school that is available at this short notice and if they do, what that leaves as an option for Montana. Montana may have little choice in an opponent to take the spot of Udub on the schedule as most schedules are already full. I do know that Idaho has a full schedule.

kemajic said:
grizpack said:
I understand. But typically, we make more off of any home game than we will off of a guarantee.
At $650 M (the rumored Udub guarantee) it's pretty much a wash.
I think you mean k. Not M.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Allezchat said:
kemajic said:
grizpack said:
I understand. But typically, we make more off of any home game than we will off of a guarantee.

650 million. Yes please.

Allezchat said:
Allezchat said:
kemajic said:
grizpack said:

650 million. Yes please.

Come on, K is a metric term; in the financial world M=thousands; MM=millions.

I hope for the sake of the Griz players that the game does happen. I'm sure a lot of those kids are looking forward to playing in a Pac12 game in a big-time football environment. Even if they did get blown out, it would be a good experience for them and something they can look back on, saying they got to compete against some of the Nation's very best.

Sam A. Blitz said:
I hope for the sake of the Griz players that the game does happen. I'm sure a lot of those kids are looking forward to playing in a Pac12 game in a big-time football environment. Even if they did get blown out, it would be a good experience for them and something they can look back on, saying they got to compete against some of the Nation's very best.

Good point.

Also, on the basketball board DeCuire is lauded for scheduling a very tough non-conference schedule. Yeah I know it's not apples to apples (pun intended).

MrTitleist said:
I believe the schedule next year is completed, just not announced. All FCS teams (sans UW).

You OK Titleist? Last night had to be rough. I ended up at Hooligans where they had a viewing party going.

Skipped through the highlights of the FBS playoff announcement (recorded, or it would have been excruciating). The talking heads and "experts" kept coming back, again and again, to the weak OOC schedule Washington played. Then, after the selection went UW's way, they threw it up to Petersen during that interview. The coach handled it well and did not, exactly, say they would try to do anything about it in their future scheduling. But his expression and tone of voice said he'd just like to see the issue go away.

I see it two ways. First, the fact they even bring it up says, IMO, as much about their disrespect for the strength of the Pac12 as it does for weak OOC games. After all, many (most?) SEC teams play at least one FCS opponent every single year. Example: Next year, Alabama plays Mercer -- a truly wretched FCS team! Yet no one talks about how these games waters down the SOS for those teams. So the reality is that SEC teams can get away with it and, it would appear, Pac12 can't (or at least take more of a risk).

Because of that perception, I do believe UW will at least consider rethinking the game with the Griz.

This subject came up before on another thread. And someone suggested it would be too late for UW to change their 2017 schedule ... everything was all set. I made a quick check then, and just now a more extensive one, and that does not appear to be the case. Searching through announced schedules I found six Power-5 teams that still show a TBD for September 9, 2017. Among those were Louisville and North Carolina. So that end of the deal would not even need to come up with a buy-out.

There were eight P-5 teams who have games against FCS teams scheduled for that date. One of those is Delaware against Virginia Tech, while another has Towson at Maryland (probably been scheduled for awhile so the Big Ten let it ride). The other six are all SEC teams, including, BTW, Northern Colorado at Florida. It looks like four of those are SEC home openers, so they obviously want to keep the fans happy with a cupcake.

These 14 P-5 programs might not want to tackle Washington early in the season, but could perhaps use the boost to their SOS.

If UW chose to go outside the P-5, these are currently 12 teams that still show a TBD for that date in their posted schedules. Even a weak FBS team like Central Florida would do more for the UW SOS than a game with the Griz. I also found 10 teams that have scheduled an FCS opponent for that date, (including Idaho State at Utah State). Would any of them pay a buyout to go to UW? Who knows. Of course, if UW was willing to give up a home cupcake to up their SOS, getting a stronger FBS matchup becomes a lot easier.

financial aspects aside, i feel like the Montana-UW game is good for the program and the school. even if we get rolled it puts us on the map in a place of regional importance for both athletic recruiting and potential students. we used to recruit pretty well in the Puget Sound area.

mtgriz said:
Sam A. Blitz said:

Good point.

Also, on the basketball board DeCuire is lauded for scheduling a very tough non-conference schedule. Yeah I know it's not apples to apples (pun intended).
Scheduling is handled by the AD, not the basketball coach.

cclarkblues said:
MrTitleist said:
I believe the schedule next year is completed, just not announced. All FCS teams (sans UW).

You OK Titleist? Last night had to be rough. I ended up at Hooligans where they had a viewing party going.

I'm okay. I don't get too butt hurt about football games (unlike everyone on this board). I imagine Hooligans probably needed to make a beer run after that disappointment last night.

Stitt better hope it gets bought out. Ass kicked, possible injuries being over matched, a new QB getting killed and one less realistic chance at a D1 win. Not the time for a game like this.....this team will be struggling to beat BSC teams.

Remember last year when we were just SURE we'd passed EWU and they were gonna suck again? And then suddenly they're on a 9 game winning streak and in the final 8.

Why does everyone assume that because we struggled to end the year successfully that NEXT year will automatically suck?

AZGrizFan said:
Remember last year when we were just SURE we'd passed EWU and they were gonna suck again? And then suddenly they're on a 9 game winning streak and in the final 8.

Why does everyone assume that because we struggled to end the year successfully that NEXT year will automatically suck?

What is a board full of whiny bitches?

I'll take potpourri for $800, Alex

kemajic said:
mtgriz said:
Sam A. Blitz said:

Good point.

Scheduling is handled by the AD, not the basketball coach.

Don't think that's true for hoops.

MrTitleist said:
cclarkblues said:
MrTitleist said:

I'm okay. I don't get too butt hurt about football games (unlike everyone on this board). I imagine Hooligans probably needed to make a beer run after that disappointment last night.

You gotta love what Bohl did this season in getting Wyo
to the level of "knocking on the door" of a conference tittle. He seems on the verge.....You'd like a better effort at home however but SDSU's D was fast and furious....Wyo's QB will need to elevate his game in the future if a conference title is going to happen.

AZGrizFan said:

Beau coaching EWU. Bob coaching UM .....enough said

Back