• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will Washington Rethink Montana Game..

BozAngelesGriz said:
financial aspects aside, i feel like the Montana-UW game is good for the program and the school. even if we get rolled it puts us on the map in a place of regional importance for both athletic recruiting and potential students. we used to recruit pretty well in the Puget Sound area.
I think most people on eGriz would agree with you. But UM is very much the "junior partner" in this deal. And after listening to "pundits" rag all morning on the UW OOC schedule, I think the Huskies -- for their own best interest -- need to dump the Griz and replace them with an FBS opponent. Even a non-power-five opponent would help (although a P-5 would obviously be best). Of course, having to "settle" for playing in the Rose Bowl may actually be a better deal financially for UW ... although probably not if they upset Alabama (2 TD underdog, last I saw). But aside from that, there's every indication that their margin for getting into the FBS playoff was razor thin. A better OOC schedule would surely help.

Ursus1 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Remember last year when we were just SURE we'd passed EWU and they were gonna suck again? And then suddenly they're on a 9 game winning streak and in the final 8.

Why does everyone assume that because we struggled to end the year successfully that NEXT year will automatically suck?

Beau coaching EWU. Bob coaching UM .....enough said

So Beau got smarter? Bob got dumber? What?

AZGrizFan said:
Remember last year when we were just SURE we'd passed EWU and they were gonna suck again? And then suddenly they're on a 9 game winning streak and in the final 8.

Why does everyone assume that because we struggled to end the year successfully that NEXT year will automatically suck?

Some fans are realistic and not pie in the sky blow sunshine in everyones butt. I know which one has a more realistic chance of coming true.

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
mtgriz said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
I hope for the sake of the Griz players that the game does happen. I'm sure a lot of those kids are looking forward to playing in a Pac12 game in a big-time football environment. Even if they did get blown out, it would be a good experience for them and something they can look back on, saying they got to compete against some of the Nation's very best.

Good point.

Also, on the basketball board DeCuire is lauded for scheduling a very tough non-conference schedule. Yeah I know it's not apples to apples (pun intended).
Scheduling is handled by the AD, not the basketball coach.

Don't think that's true for hoops.

Correct. Basketball coaches do most of their own scheduling.

grizpack said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
mtgriz said:
Good point.

Also, on the basketball board DeCuire is lauded for scheduling a very tough non-conference schedule. Yeah I know it's not apples to apples (pun intended).
Scheduling is handled by the AD, not the basketball coach.

Don't think that's true for hoops.

Correct. Basketball coaches do most of their own scheduling.
My knowledge of college basketball just doubled.

Buttegrizzle said:
Well. Clearly a loss to Montana is really going to hurt the Huskies chance to get back in the playoffs.

I know what you wrote is tongue in cheek, but my first reaction was if the Griz can't beat Cal Poly, NAU, EWU, UNC, and MSU, I don't think the Huskies have any concerns, other than how playing a mediocre FCS team will hurt them in the FBS polls.

CV Griz Fan said:
You gotta love what Bohl did this season in getting Wyo
to the level of "knocking on the door" of a conference tittle. He seems on the verge.....You'd like a better effort at home however but SDSU's D was fast and furious....Wyo's QB will need to elevate his game in the future if a conference title is going to happen.

SDSUs defense was the 11th best in the country, they were pretty good. Very fast. Their DBs and LBs were very good. Their DL looked like supermen against a very young, very undersized Wyoming OL. The QB will be fine.. his first year starting. He's the definition of a gunslinger.. very Favre like qualities.. high highs and WTF lows. He'll learn and be even better next year (he was pretty damn good this year).

PlayerRep said:
Savannah St.

Are you telling us that is the missing game on our schedule currently? You seem to know these sorts of things. If so, I am glad it is an FCS and not a D2.

A buyout would be bad for us, I plan on going to this game we have tons of alums in the Seattle area and this is a good game for recruiting western washington which is a hotbed for us, and as far as "Guaranteed Loss." Nothing is guaranteed until its played on the field, stranger things have happened in college football.

Everyone remember the Tennessee game in 2011? One or Two plays or one or two calls different and JJ and the Griz could have had a "W". Oh and remember that season, the one we had to vacate, we were 10-1 in the season. In 2010 we were 6-5.

reinell30 said:
Everyone remember the Tennessee game in 2011? One or Two plays or one or two calls different and JJ and the Griz could have had a "W". Oh and remember that season, the one we had to vacate, we were 10-1 in the season. In 2010 we were 6-5.
There's not much correct in this post. In 2010 we were 7-4 and in 2011 (the vacated year) with an experienced returning QB, we were 11-3 (9-2 during the regular season). The TN game was 42-16; one or two plays different (e.g., no Nguyen muffed punt) might make a TD difference, not a W. TN was able to wear us down late in the game; irrespective of what might have happened earlier. TN was 5-7 that year; 1-7 in the SEC with their only win over Vanderbilt.

BozAngelesGriz said:
financial aspects aside, i feel like the Montana-UW game is good for the program and the school. even if we get rolled it puts us on the map in a place of regional importance for both athletic recruiting and potential students. we used to recruit pretty well in the Puget Sound area.

It puts the Griz on the map as a cupcake, nothing more, since the game will probably not be even mildly competitive. One of the stronger Griz teams of the past playing a weaker UW team of recent memory might be a different story, but our current trajectory combined with UW's doesn't suggest otherwise.

This won't be good for anyone, least of all UM recruiting.

MrTitleist said:
cclarkblues said:
MrTitleist said:
I believe the schedule next year is completed, just not announced. All FCS teams (sans UW).

You OK Titleist? Last night had to be rough. I ended up at Hooligans where they had a viewing party going.

I'm okay. I don't get too butt hurt about football games (unlike everyone on this board). I imagine Hooligans probably needed to make a beer run after that disappointment last night.

Well your team's butt should definitely be hurting, whether or not yours is, since it was kicked pretty damn hard. :thumb:

Ursa Major said:
AZGrizFan said:

What is a board full of whiny bitches?

I'll take potpourri for $800, Alex

Why is it that being realistic equates to being a whiny bitch? Personally I don't see them being great (esp good enough to compete w UW), but I don't think that qualifies as whining. To expect otherwise could literally be construed as clinically insane.

So, you two see them being competitive (since that's part and parcel to the thread topic and all)?

NDSU and EWU show up to play FBS opponents tough, Montana has not done so for a long time. After seeing this years Husky team, I agree that getting a buyout and then revenue from another home game would be best for a "young" team that will be breaking in a new QB and some new OL again looking for experience. Not a great matchup for the Griz at all.

Agreed. Cancel and let Washington pay a couple hundred K's as a restocking fee when Haslam returns the contract saying it was the wrong size. Like an ill-fitting Speedo this is bad for buyer and seller.

CFallsGriz said:
MrTitleist said:
cclarkblues said:
MrTitleist said:
I believe the schedule next year is completed, just not announced. All FCS teams (sans UW).

You OK Titleist? Last night had to be rough. I ended up at Hooligans where they had a viewing party going.

I'm okay. I don't get too butt hurt about football games (unlike everyone on this board). I imagine Hooligans probably needed to make a beer run after that disappointment last night.

Well your team's butt should definitely be hurting, whether or not yours is, since it was kicked pretty damn hard. :thumb:

A three point loss with a chance to win late in the game is a butt kicking? Hmm..

MrTitleist said:
CFallsGriz said:
MrTitleist said:
cclarkblues said:

A three point loss with a chance to win late in the game is a butt kicking? Hmm..

They actually played a really nice 4thQ, just too little too late.

Just breaking balls dude! :D

Back