• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will Washington Rethink Montana Game..

The_Real_Chief said:
poorgriz said:
The_Real_Chief said:
A buyout would be bad for us, I plan on going to this game we have tons of alums in the Seattle area and this is a good game for recruiting western washington which is a hotbed for us, and as far as "Guaranteed Loss." Nothing is guaranteed until its played on the field, stranger things have happened in college football.

True, but if you look at the disparity here..... Valpo has a much better chance of beating you guys at your place than you do of beating the Huskies in Seattle.

The whole premise is dumb though, lets not play because we are going to lose. Lets take our 2009 grizzly team back when we were rolling and winning a lot of games, a top 4 FBS school would have probably beat us very soundly then as well. BUT you never know until you play the game, and the regional alums, recruiting, the money we'll get, more big tv exposure, etc. The pros of playing out weigh the cons, yes Washington will be a HEAVY favorite but you never ever ever know what can happen.

This is not the 2009 team....thus reason should get out of it. Many Griz teams could have put up a good fight and even scared for a little while.....trends showing Stitt team will have zero sign of that ability, hell might want to buyout Cat game after the last debacle

Ursus1 said:
The_Real_Chief said:
poorgriz said:
The_Real_Chief said:
A buyout would be bad for us, I plan on going to this game we have tons of alums in the Seattle area and this is a good game for recruiting western washington which is a hotbed for us, and as far as "Guaranteed Loss." Nothing is guaranteed until its played on the field, stranger things have happened in college football.

True, but if you look at the disparity here..... Valpo has a much better chance of beating you guys at your place than you do of beating the Huskies in Seattle.

The whole premise is dumb though, lets not play because we are going to lose. Lets take our 2009 grizzly team back when we were rolling and winning a lot of games, a top 4 FBS school would have probably beat us very soundly then as well. BUT you never know until you play the game, and the regional alums, recruiting, the money we'll get, more big tv exposure, etc. The pros of playing out weigh the cons, yes Washington will be a HEAVY favorite but you never ever ever know what can happen.

This is not the 2009 team....thus reason should get out of it. Many Griz teams could have put up a good fight and even scared for a little while.....trends showing Stitt team will have zero sign of that ability, hell might want to buyout Cat game after the last debacle

Please give it a rest... its rather boring.

Ursus1 said:
The_Real_Chief said:
poorgriz said:
The_Real_Chief said:

Ursus, are you always a this whiny?

Ursus1 said:
The_Real_Chief said:
poorgriz said:
The_Real_Chief said:

the 2005 team wasn't great, but I still had a great time in Eugene despite the beat down from Oregon. More fun than the blowout win over Fort Lewis the week before, and I'm sure the players remember the Oregon game experience more fondly than the Fort Lewis game as well

The_Real_Chief said:
The whole premise is dumb though, lets not play because we are going to lose.
Not the premise at all; it's let's hope they buy us out because if we play we will embarrass the program. Udub is up; we're down, way down. We would have likely lost a few years ago too, but it could have been a good loss. This one won't be.

Grizbeer said:
Ursus1 said:
The_Real_Chief said:
poorgriz said:
the 2005 team wasn't great, but I still had a great time in Eugene despite the beat down from Oregon. More fun than the blowout win over Fort Lewis the week before, and I'm sure the players remember the Oregon game experience more fondly than the Fort Lewis game as well
The D played really well in that game until worn down by all of Jason Washington's 3 and outs. That UO team finished 10-2 and helped us out by keeping the O playbook very limited.

Grizzly Oredigger said:
kemajic said:
reinell30 said:
Everyone remember the Tennessee game in 2011? One or Two plays or one or two calls different and JJ and the Griz could have had a "W". Oh and remember that season, the one we had to vacate, we were 10-1 in the season. In 2010 we were 6-5.
There's not much correct in this post. In 2010 we were 7-4 and in 2011 (the vacated year) with an experienced returning QB, we were 11-3 (9-2 during the regular season). The TN game was 42-16; one or two plays different (e.g., no Nguyen muffed punt) might make a TD difference, not a W. TN was able to wear us down late in the game; irrespective of what might have happened earlier. TN was 5-7 that year; 1-7 in the SEC with their only win over Vanderbilt.
Ahhh yes I was at that game with my UT Fan wife and her UT family (my wife is a UM alum but bleeds orange). I agree with the first post...without that muffed punt, I truly feel the game goes a completely different route. You could sense it watching that game. Also to agree with the second post, that was probably UT's worse team they've had during their recent down stretch (or possibly history haha).
Don't forget about the 6 fumbles UT had in which they recovered every single one, plus our two interceptions called back due to penalties.

One fumble recovery would have been nice, but I still think the UT coach called off the passing game to work on the run. Tru did his job as expected, but the other side was getting torched and would have all game long if they wanted.

AZGrizFan said:
putter said:
NDSU and EWU show up to play FBS opponents tough, Montana has not done so for a long time.

2014:
Wyoming 17
Montana 12

True, however, wasn't that Bohl's first year? They finished 4-8 overall so not a strong Wyoming team. Play that way against Washington or Oregon it is a different story.

Grizzly Oredigger said:
kemajic said:
reinell30 said:
Everyone remember the Tennessee game in 2011? One or Two plays or one or two calls different and JJ and the Griz could have had a "W". Oh and remember that season, the one we had to vacate, we were 10-1 in the season. In 2010 we were 6-5.
There's not much correct in this post. In 2010 we were 7-4 and in 2011 (the vacated year) with an experienced returning QB, we were 11-3 (9-2 during the regular season). The TN game was 42-16; one or two plays different (e.g., no Nguyen muffed punt) might make a TD difference, not a W. TN was able to wear us down late in the game; irrespective of what might have happened earlier. TN was 5-7 that year; 1-7 in the SEC with their only win over Vanderbilt.
Ahhh yes I was at that game with my UT Fan wife and her UT family (my wife is a UM alum but bleeds orange). I agree with the first post...without that muffed punt, I truly feel the game goes a completely different route. You could sense it watching that game. Also to agree with the second post, that was probably UT's worse team they've had during their recent down stretch (or possibly history haha).

The big thing in that game is that the Vols put the ball on the turf 8 times and the Griz didn't recover even one of them. I'm not sure I've ever seen that happen before or since.

EverettGriz said:
Grizzly Oredigger said:
kemajic said:
reinell30 said:

The big thing in that game is that the Vols put the ball on the turf 8 times and the Griz didn't recover even one of them. I'm not sure I've ever seen that happen before or since.

The people of Knoxville sure treated us well. Best away venue I have ever been too. Four days in Knoxville and I only had to pay for one beer, amazing! Fun game, what a rain storm, took all night to dry out, my shoes were still soaked the following day even after sitting them on the fan all night.

reinell30 said:
EverettGriz said:
Grizzly Oredigger said:
kemajic said:

The people of Knoxville sure treated us well. Best away venue I have ever been too. Four days in Knoxville and I only had to pay for one beer, amazing! Fun game, what a rain storm, took all night to dry out, my shoes were still soaked the following day even after sitting them on the fan all night.

They sure did. Knoxville and Boone we were treated like royalty. We even got invited out to the boats tailgating on the river in Knoxville. I became a Vol fan on that trip because of the way we were treated.

EverettGriz said:
reinell30 said:
EverettGriz said:
Grizzly Oredigger said:

They sure did. Knoxville and Boone we were treated like royalty. We even got invited out to the boats tailgating on the river in Knoxville. I became a Vol fan on that trip because of the way we were treated.

You and me both. Enjoyed the boats on the river as well as I am a boat man!

HelenaHandBasket said:
Grizbeer said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Grizbeer said:
Bob Stitt get's a $10,000 bonus for playing an FBS game, the assistants get a $1,000 bonus. If they win that doubles, though no chance of that. Bob also get's a $5,000 bonus to maintain or increase season attendance, so scrapping this game for a D-II game would likely cost Bob $15,000 from his own pocket - probably not going to happen.

Compared to the possibility of being unemployed, I think a winnable game is worth more than $15,000.
Interesting you think a win over a DII team could save his job while a loss to a top 4 FBS team could cost him his job? What about a loss to a DII team?

Bottom line, it seems that Stitt is on the hot seat and needs to win games. Currently, it is more about the record than whether the Griz play Udub or some D2 school. 8-3 is better than 7-4 with a loss to Udub and Stitt has to win as many games as possible and get into the playoffs, or according to many fans, he is gone. If a Stitt coached team loses to a D2, then the writing was probably already on the wall.

Not true IMHO

As always, our coach is judged mainly on 3 criteria.
1. You must beat the Scats
2. How you do in conference.
3. Playoffs. Not just making them, but we need to get 1 or 2 home games and win them.

Provided there are no serious off-field issues, if Stitt accomplishes these goals next year he will have earned an extension, regardless of a D2 or a blowout loss to UDub.

putter said:
AZGrizFan said:
putter said:
NDSU and EWU show up to play FBS opponents tough, Montana has not done so for a long time.

2014:
Wyoming 17
Montana 12

True, however, wasn't that Bohl's first year? They finished 4-8 overall so not a strong Wyoming team. Play that way against Washington or Oregon it is a different story.

Are they FBS? :| :|

AZGrizFan said:
putter said:
AZGrizFan said:
putter said:
2014:
Wyoming 17
Montana 12
Must be; they beat #13 BSU in addition to CSU, Air Force, Nevada, Utah St. and San Diego St.

behappp said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Grizbeer said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Compared to the possibility of being unemployed, I think a winnable game is worth more than $15,000.
Interesting you think a win over a DII team could save his job while a loss to a top 4 FBS team could cost him his job? What about a loss to a DII team?

Bottom line, it seems that Stitt is on the hot seat and needs to win games. Currently, it is more about the record than whether the Griz play Udub or some D2 school. 8-3 is better than 7-4 with a loss to Udub and Stitt has to win as many games as possible and get into the playoffs, or according to many fans, he is gone. If a Stitt coached team loses to a D2, then the writing was probably already on the wall.

Not true IMHO

As always, our coach is judged mainly on 3 criteria.
1. You must beat the Scats
2. How you do in conference.
3. Playoffs. Not just making them, but we need to get 1 or 2 home games and win them.

Provided there are no serious off-field issues, if Stitt accomplishes these goals next year he will have earned an extension, regardless of a D2 or a blowout loss to UDub.

Happp, but I think this team is going to struggle getting enough wins to make the playoffs, this was the main point behind my post. Even though a buyout will not happen, the road to 8 wins is easier without them on the schedule.

...with u dub on the schedule 7 wins get us in...
...especially after u dub drubs flippn' alabama...
...maybe not..but that's why you play the game...

...f a ...

zengriz said:

...f a ...

right now, I am not thinking 7 wins will happen.

HelenaHandBasket said:
zengriz said:

...f a ...

right now, I am not thinking 7 wins will happen.
8 - 6 - 4? Such a trend should be terminal.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
putter said:
AZGrizFan said:
2014:
Wyoming 17
Montana 12
Must be; they beat #13 BSU in addition to CSU, Air Force, Nevada, Utah St. and San Diego St.

Wouldn't it be great to have THOSE teams on the home schedule? :thumb:

Back