• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will Washington Rethink Montana Game..

kemajic said:
reinell30 said:
Everyone remember the Tennessee game in 2011? One or Two plays or one or two calls different and JJ and the Griz could have had a "W". Oh and remember that season, the one we had to vacate, we were 10-1 in the season. In 2010 we were 6-5.
There's not much correct in this post. In 2010 we were 7-4 and in 2011 (the vacated year) with an experienced returning QB, we were 11-3 (9-2 during the regular season). The TN game was 42-16; one or two plays different (e.g., no Nguyen muffed punt) might make a TD difference, not a W. TN was able to wear us down late in the game; irrespective of what might have happened earlier. TN was 5-7 that year; 1-7 in the SEC with their only win over Vanderbilt.

Two TD passes were called off for interference and some other wrong call on the O-Line. Yes I may not have gotten the 6-5 or 10-1 right, but I was going off memory. (I am old) We didn't make the playoff's in 2010, is that correct? I think the TN game would have had a different outcome if several calls would have went our way and yes Peter N. fumble changed the entire momentum. Jabin Sambrono played a remarkable game. I was standing 3 feet from him when he hit head 1st into the wall in the corner of the endzone. He was pushed and no call was made for pass interference. Lot of home cooking in this game.

kemajic said:
grizpack said:
I understand. But typically, we make more off of any home game than we will off of a guarantee.
At $650 M (the rumored Udub guarantee) it's pretty much a wash.
Bob Stitt get's a $10,000 bonus for playing an FBS game, the assistants get a $1,000 bonus. If they win that doubles, though no chance of that. Bob also get's a $5,000 bonus to maintain or increase season attendance, so scrapping this game for a D-II game would likely cost Bob $15,000 from his own pocket - probably not going to happen.

Grizbeer said:
kemajic said:
grizpack said:
I understand. But typically, we make more off of any home game than we will off of a guarantee.
Bob Stitt get's a $10,000 bonus for playing an FBS game, the assistants get a $1,000 bonus. If they win that doubles, though no chance of that. Bob also get's a $5,000 bonus to maintain or increase season attendance, so scrapping this game for a D-II game would likely cost Bob $15,000 from his own pocket - probably not going to happen.

Compared to the possibility of being unemployed, I think a winnable game is worth more than $15,000.

Grizbeer said:
kemajic said:
grizpack said:
As I said in an earlier post, the "big dog" (UW) controls this situation ... and they will do what they think will be best for their program. Aside from UM trying to "hold up" UW (asking for an outrageously large buyout), what UM, Stitt and so on will or won't make is way down the priority list.

From everything I've heard and read, Washington has built the base to be good -- and therefore in the FBS championship hunt -- for awhile. That being said, they cannot afford to have questions continue to be raised about their SOS. It would be very much in their interest to bring in even a weak FBS opponent rather than to play the Griz.

Here's another point ... very much off the wall, because it's based on "friend of a friend" sources. But, here and there, these (who know how reliable?) sources claim that the Pac12 is pressuring all its members to drop FCS opponents. Have not heard UW mentioned specifically, but it has apparently come up for the Arizona members, and Utah, that regularly play "rival" FCS opponents (NAU, WSU, SUU).

IdaGriz01 said:
Grizbeer said:
kemajic said:
grizpack said:
As I said in an earlier post, the "big dog" (UW) controls this situation ... and they will do what they think will be best for their program. Aside from UM trying to "hold up" UW (asking for an outrageously large buyout), what UM, Stitt and so on will or won't make is way down the priority list.

From everything I've heard and read, Washington has built the base to be good -- and therefore in the FBS championship hunt -- for awhile. That being said, they cannot afford to have questions continue to be raised about their SOS. It would be very much in their interest to bring in even a weak FBS opponent rather than to play the Griz.

Here's another point ... very much off the wall, because it's based on "friend of a friend" sources. But, here and there, these (who know how reliable?) sources claim that the Pac12 is pressuring all its members to drop FCS opponents. Have not heard UW mentioned specifically, but it has apparently come up for the Arizona members, and Utah, that regularly play "rival" FCS opponents (NAU, WSU, SUU).

Buy-Out fee is usually included in the original contract. Agreed upon at the time it is signed.

The_Real_Chief said:
A buyout would be bad for us, I plan on going to this game we have tons of alums in the Seattle area and this is a good game for recruiting western washington which is a hotbed for us, and as far as "Guaranteed Loss." Nothing is guaranteed until its played on the field, stranger things have happened in college football.

True, but if you look at the disparity here..... Valpo has a much better chance of beating you guys at your place than you do of beating the Huskies in Seattle.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Grizbeer said:
kemajic said:
grizpack said:

Compared to the possibility of being unemployed, I think a winnable game is worth more than $15,000.
Interesting you think a win over a DII team could save his job while a loss to a top 4 FBS team could cost him his job? What about a loss to a DII team?

poorgriz said:
The_Real_Chief said:
A buyout would be bad for us, I plan on going to this game we have tons of alums in the Seattle area and this is a good game for recruiting western washington which is a hotbed for us, and as far as "Guaranteed Loss." Nothing is guaranteed until its played on the field, stranger things have happened in college football.

True, but if you look at the disparity here..... Valpo has a much better chance of beating you guys at your place than you do of beating the Huskies in Seattle.

The whole premise is dumb though, lets not play because we are going to lose. Lets take our 2009 grizzly team back when we were rolling and winning a lot of games, a top 4 FBS school would have probably beat us very soundly then as well. BUT you never know until you play the game, and the regional alums, recruiting, the money we'll get, more big tv exposure, etc. The pros of playing out weigh the cons, yes Washington will be a HEAVY favorite but you never ever ever know what can happen.

The_Real_Chief said:
Can you list a few examples of those "stranger things" that happened?

kemajic said:
reinell30 said:
Everyone remember the Tennessee game in 2011? One or Two plays or one or two calls different and JJ and the Griz could have had a "W". Oh and remember that season, the one we had to vacate, we were 10-1 in the season. In 2010 we were 6-5.
There's not much correct in this post. In 2010 we were 7-4 and in 2011 (the vacated year) with an experienced returning QB, we were 11-3 (9-2 during the regular season). The TN game was 42-16; one or two plays different (e.g., no Nguyen muffed punt) might make a TD difference, not a W. TN was able to wear us down late in the game; irrespective of what might have happened earlier. TN was 5-7 that year; 1-7 in the SEC with their only win over Vanderbilt.
Ahhh yes I was at that game with my UT Fan wife and her UT family (my wife is a UM alum but bleeds orange). I agree with the first post...without that muffed punt, I truly feel the game goes a completely different route. You could sense it watching that game. Also to agree with the second post, that was probably UT's worse team they've had during their recent down stretch (or possibly history haha).

Grizzly Oredigger said:
Also to agree with the second post, that was probably UT's worse team they've had during their recent down stretch (or possibly history haha).

...the opposite can be said for u dub...
...next year will be there year...
...this year is a prelude...

... :coffee: ...

Grizbeer said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Grizbeer said:
kemajic said:

Interesting you think a win over a DII team could save his job while a loss to a top 4 FBS team could cost him his job? What about a loss to a DII team?

Bottom line, it seems that Stitt is on the hot seat and needs to win games. Currently, it is more about the record than whether the Griz play Udub or some D2 school. 8-3 is better than 7-4 with a loss to Udub and Stitt has to win as many games as possible and get into the playoffs, or according to many fans, he is gone. If a Stitt coached team loses to a D2, then the writing was probably already on the wall.

kemajic said:
The_Real_Chief said:

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/5-biggest-fcs-vs-fbs-upsets-college-football-history

Anything can happen, not saying it will but you never know until you play the game.

The_Real_Chief said:
kemajic said:
The_Real_Chief said:

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/5-biggest-fcs-vs-fbs-upsets-college-football-history

Anything can happen, not saying it will but you never know until you play the game.

In this case, I think we all know.

Back