• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Wrestling

Just like the University System role is to provide education that is relevant in Montana, it's sports team's should be as well. Wresting is a far dominant sport in Montana over tennis.

Wrestling is a better fit than tennis for Montana. Montana puts more wrestlers in college than tennis players. Montana wrestlers have had more individual success at the D1 and NAIA level of college competition than Montana athletes in any other sport. To put it another way, Montana exports more talent in wrestling than in any other sport.

I would like to see the addition of wrestling, but not by dropping tennis or any other sport offered. I don't agree that wrestling would provide more opportunities than tennis. How?
By the way, some of you may be surprised at the number of Montana High School tennis players who have been varsity tennis players at many of our nation's colleges.

YttriumGriz39 said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Just like the University System role is to provide education that is relevant in Montana, it's sports team's should be as well. Wresting is a far dominant sport in Montana over tennis.

Not so much...

Results from Montana Highschools:

2015/2016 tennis: 1752 participants
2015/2016 wresting: 1404 participants
http://www.nfhs.org/ParticipationStatics/ParticipationStatics.aspx/

Is this apples to apples? Wrestling is 99.99% male. Is the tennis number you quote the male participants only or male/female participants (in which case it's not so comparable)?

go96griz said:
YttriumGriz39 said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Not so much...

Results from Montana Highschools:

2015/2016 tennis: 1855 participants
2015/2016 wresting: 1504 participants
http://www.nfhs.org/ParticipationStatics/ParticipationStatics.aspx/

Is this apples to apples? Wrestling is 99.99% male. Is the tennis number you quote the male participants only or male/female participants (in which case it's not so comparable)?

It is all participants male and female for both sports. I claim it is comparable why wouldn't it be? This is total participants at Montana high schools and I am saying this shows which sport is dominant in Montana and should be supported by its Universities.

Tennis is a BSC sport. Wrestling is not.

To add wrestling, we'd have to drop a men's sport. Tennis would probably work, but where do we go with wrestling? No effing way we can afford that. And the reason NDSU has it is that wrestling is a midwest university dominated sport. They don't have to travel far to participate in matches. Montanan would be vastly different. Also, I believe we're already at the minimum number of men's sports at the DI level, so I'm not sure we could drop tennis anyway.

And the comment about wrestling being more popular than tennis in Asia and SE Europe is laughable. One look at the top 500 tennis players in the world will tell you that.

96, maybe you forgot, but girls don't wrestle. However, I did recently see. Where a young lady was wrestling somewhere.
Bottom line: some people would like UM to offer wrestling. It should be considered on the merits of the sport and not dropping tennis. Some are not aware how popular tennis is in Montana and world wide. Nor are they aware how difficult it is to be able to play tennis at a high level. Get out and watch tennis. Better yet, take up the game and enjoy a great sport!

Spanky said:
96, maybe you forgot, but girls don't wrestle. However, I did recently see. Where a young lady was wrestling somewhere.
Bottom line: some people would like UM to offer wrestling. It should be considered on the merits of the sport and not dropping tennis. Some are not aware how popular tennis is in Montana and world wide. Nor are they aware how difficult it is to be able to play tennis at a high level. Get out and watch tennis. Better yet, take up the game and enjoy a great sport!

I didn't forget girls don't wrestle because I know there are a few girls wrestling in the state. One is a coach's daughter and she very likely could win a state championship.

l would love to see wrestling come to the Griz..I am a ex-wrestler and from a wrestling family tradition all seven of us...l've been in Montana a long time and sometime l have to tell myself that l really didn't grow up here..but as a northeast wrestler l can tell you there is some great wrestlers here and for the most people across the country would be shock how big it really is here...l hope some day to see a wrestler with a bear claw...tearing it up!

Spanky said:

Actually, women's wrestling is gaining significant ground. It has really taken off in the NAIA schools (UGF just announced they will have a women's program next year and already has two ladies signed), and the NCAA schools are beginning to follow suit. The one advantage is that if there are both a men's and women's teams, it's Title IX neutral.
http://www.ugfargos.com/news/2017/1/10/general-university-of-great-falls-to-add-womens-wrestling-in-2017-18.aspx

Boscoe said:
Nothing would make me happier than the University of Montana bringing wrestling back. It would likely generate more revenue than tennis, is more conducive to Montana weather, and would provide more opportunities to Montana athletes. We export a lot of talented wrestlers in this state, it would be nice to provide an opportunity for them to wrestle at division 1 in their home state.

You sound like you have a biased opinion. :D I've always been a big supporter of bringing wrestling back to Montana. I wouldn't be excited about replacing men's tennis because I think it is going in the right direction but it is also the most expendable male sport at the U. As far as comparing montana high school boys tennis and wrestling, there really is no comparison. If I had the time to comb all the rosters in D-1 sports, I'm sure Montana puts more wrestlers out there then Tennis players. For a fact, there'd be more Montanas wrestling for the U then there are current Montanas on the Tennis roster. The support for high school wrestling I'm sure out weighs the support for Tennis, course I'm just "shooting from the hip" on this but I'd safe it's a safe bet. But as long as title IX is in effect, and it's not going away, there will probably not be any wrestling at montana until we move up to the FBS which I beleive will require us to get one more male sport. I think the min female requirement is already made. Also, there is college woman's wrestling. Just not D-1.

Alabama, I would bet that you are shooting from the hip with your comments regarding tennis. Tennis is a popular high school sport in Montana with many student-athletes competing at the college level. A previous poster indicated there are more high school students involved in tennis than wrestling in Montana,
Worldwide, tennis dwarfs wrestling in the number of participants and fan popularity. all one has to do is spend three or four days at the US Open in New York to become aware of the enthusiasm for tennis.

EverettGriz said:
Tennis is a BSC sport. Wrestling is not.

To add wrestling, we'd have to drop a men's sport. Tennis would probably work, but where do we go with wrestling? No effing way we can afford that. And the reason NDSU has it is that wrestling is a midwest university dominated sport. They don't have to travel far to participate in matches. Montanan would be vastly different. Also, I believe we're already at the minimum number of men's sports at the DI level, so I'm not sure we could drop tennis anyway.

And the comment about wrestling being more popular than tennis in Asia and SE Europe is laughable. One look at the top 500 tennis players in the world will tell you that.

Please........

Consider your high school.

How many on the tennis team?

Now how many on the wrestling team???

Oh. Just boys. Women can keep playing tennis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back