• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Wrestling

Rcscott-don't know where you coach tennis, but you should know that several Montana junior tennis players played college tennis at the highest level. I know of two that also competed on the Professional Satellite Circuit. Further, one was ranked 23 in singles and 2 in doubles for his play on the National Amateur Circuit. One player was an All American.

High school tennis seems to be on the rise to me. Problem with Tennis these days, is you have to be "a member of the country club" to compete and practice year round. The opportunities for your average families are very limited to compete in tennis. Not so much with wrestling. I would bet that only a handful of people on this site could name one player from your list.
I would also bet that the name of Zaddick, Davis, Eggum,Todd etc. would be more recognizable on this board, as well as team traditions from Butte, Havre, and Conrad.
The sport of Tennis lives in a bubble in Montana due to our weather and access to facilities. The sport of wrestling lives in a bubble in Montana because it's not the cool sport. Both are the same.
By the way, I'm not a tennis player. I teach mental toughness with our girls and basics. It's starting to become a good formula.

rcscott said:
High school tennis seems to be on the rise to me. Problem with Tennis these days, is you have to be "a member of the country club" to compete and practice year round. The opportunities for your average families are very limited to compete in tennis. Not so much with wrestling. I would bet that only a handful of people on this site could name one player from your list.
I would also bet that the name of Zaddick, Davis, Eggum,Todd etc. would be more recognizable on this board, as well as team traditions from Butte, Havre, and Conrad.
The sport of Tennis lives in a bubble in Montana due to our weather and access to facilities. The sport of wrestling lives in a bubble in Montana because it's not the cool sport. Both are the same.
By the way, I'm not a tennis player. I teach mental toughness with our girls and basics. It's starting to become a good formula.

I've tried for years to get wrestlers into my program, and, a lot of them always tell me they wish they could, but, they just don't take the plunge. Parker Filius hung around with a lot of tennis kids and would always come play in the evenings. He would have been solid. Jase Stokes has told me 100 times he wish he would have played tennis. Dane Warp (who would have been a four-time state champion wrestler) has said his only regret in his high school athletic career was not playing tennis for me. I've always thought wrestlers would do well in tennis. But here in Havre, wrestlers don't do spring sports at all, not track or tennis. They wrestle. I can't knock it. It works well for them. The dynasty we have here isn't going anyway any time soon.

As far as the dynasty.... no kidding. Scott has it working up there.

Same story here in Choteau. We have talked to a lot of boys about playing tennis as we just added it to our list of activities. Spring is a hard time to keep kids heads focused. Oh well. Can't make them do it. You listed some great athletes that I've watched for a long time (6 years) It works the same way on the wrestling end with the commitment. I wish I had a dollar for all the kids that said they would have wrestled, my son-in-law included who is a special ops guy.
It sounds like you have a great relationship with those kids. Helping these kids become great humans first, is my focus in coaching. The accolades follow. I think you are the same way.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Consecutive Titles:

16 Conrad 1994 - 2009
14 Missoula Sentinel 1956 - 1969
14 Butte High 1980 - 1993
10 Havre 2006 - 2015
9 Chinook 2007 - 2015
8 Great Falls High 1958 - 1965
8 Glasgow 1959 - 1966
8 Huntley Project 1986 - 1993
8 Sidney 1988 - 1995
8 Flathead (Kalispell) 2003 - 2010

Just a quick note. Conrad had 8 titles during that time span. Impressive but not in a row.

Problem with Tennis these days, is you have to be "a member of the country club" to compete and practice year round.

While there is certainly validity to this statement, it could be also be said for many sports these days. In order to be, say, an elite soccer player, you have to play (and pay for) club sports, private lessons, etc.

Helena Capital has over twice as many boys wrestling as those playing tennis. Didn't check with other schools but have no reason to believe they would be significantly different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Your point? Does that explain why few colleges offer wrestling? What the he'll does tennis have to do with wrestling?

rcscott said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Consecutive Titles:

16 Conrad 1994 - 2009
10 Havre 2006 - 2015
9 Chinook 2007 - 2015
8 Glasgow 1959 - 1966
8 Sidney 1988 - 1995

Just a quick note. Conrad had 8 titles during that time span. Impressive but not in a row.

Thanks.

Yeah, i just copied and pasted this and the other post from the MHSA site. I thought it could have flaws because I thought Butte had 15 or 16 in a row...don't remember exactly though.

YttriumGriz39 said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Just like the University System role is to provide education that is relevant in Montana, it's sports team's should be as well. Wresting is a far dominant sport in Montana over tennis.

Not so much...

Results from Montana Highschools:

2015/2016 tennis: 1855 participants
2015/2016 wresting: 1504 participants
http://www.nfhs.org/ParticipationStatics/ParticipationStatics.aspx/

When comparing Apples to apples, there are far more boys wrestling than boys playing tennis. Nice try...

And if you want to go further into the numbers of participants per the two sports, I would point out the fact that MANY go out for Tennis because it is "A Fun" thing to do outside in the spring, and get out of school and take bus rides for a lot of the non-real-competitive/non-serious participants looking for a sandwich and a tan. Tennis is a social thing for a lot the kids, and for first time Track participants too. Now don't go all hay-wire, SURE their is some very serious and competitive Tennis players, absolutely. They are good athletes and some move on to do well in college and beyond. Tennis is their number 1 or 2 thing in life. But no one can deny that many HS rosters, especially at the bigger schools, have tire-kickers on there that are just looking for an activity and play tennis in HS for the very first times in their lives. I've certainly seen it. You certainly don't see many tire-kickers in wrestling rooms...

Do yourself a favor and watch this THRILLING last victory at STATE: :shock: :clap:

http://s200.trackwrestling.com/tw/VideoPlayer.jsp?TIM=1486891084821&twSessionId=uxycumqmmsiwsey&matchId=5553139104

Hey guys, (everyone)
I love to see the passion for our respective sports. The only reason Tennis was brought up was to get rid of it to bring in wrestling as a possibility. I love tennis, and I love wrestling. All are making great points respecting their "love". I don't think the Tennis program should be eliminated period.
My point being, that a D1 program should be available in the state for wrestling, and money can be found. We do ship kids off to these programs out of state, so it says that we can compete.
It doesn't take away from the fact that some tennis players do the same. (I have checked rosters at the U and haven't seen a Montana kid yet though) Doesn't matter. I don't see a roster yet for a Montana wrestler at the U either.
This argument is made this time every year, and at least the argument is being made. I hope it falls on the right ears someday.
I on the other hand, will keep buying a lottery ticket and hope to hit the big one. When that happens, you bet we'll see it.

IntuitiveGriz said:
rcscott said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Consecutive Titles:

16 Conrad 1994 - 2009
10 Havre 2006 - 2015
9 Chinook 2007 - 2015
8 Glasgow 1959 - 1966
8 Sidney 1988 - 1995

Butte was definitely the caddy with Street back in the day. I have a feeling Filius will be mentioned in the same regard one day.

Thanks.

Yeah, i just copied and pasted this and the other post from the MHSA site. I thought it could have flaws because I thought Butte had 15 or 16 in a row...don't remember exactly though.

2017 Team Scores

Class AA

1. Flathead (Kalispell) 251.0
2. Bozeman 189.5
3. Billings Skyview 170.5
4. Helena 157.0
5. Helena Capital 155.0
6. Billings Senior 125.0
7. Missoula Big Sky/ Loyola Sacred Heart 124.0
8. Great Falls 113.0
9. Butte High School 110.0
10. Missoula Sentinel 86.0
11. Billings West 66.0
12. Great Falls Cmr 60.0
13. Glacier (Kalispell) 29.0
14. Missoula Hellgate 6.5

Class A

1. Havre 257.5
2. Columbia Falls 131.0
3. Dawson Co. (Glendive) 125.0
4. Hardin 111.5
5. Polson 109.0
6. Frenchtown 94.5
7. Corvallis/Darby 91.0
8. Belgrade 90.0
8. Hamilton 90.0
10. Beaverhead Co. (Dillon)/Twin Bridges 89.5
11. Sidney 81.0
12. Fergus (Lewistown) 73.5
13. Laurel 70.5
14. Stevensville 62.0
15. Park (Livingston) 52.0
16. Browning 39.5
17. Butte Central 34.5
18. Whitefish 33.0
19. Billings Central 23.0
20. Custer Co. (Miles City) 18.5

B/C

1. Lincoln County (Eureka) 198.0
2. Colstrip 164.0
3. Ronan 120.5
4. Huntley Project (Worden) 89.0
5. Plains/Hot Springs 86.0
6. Glasgow 79.0
7. Libby/Troy 73.5
8. Baker 61.0
8. Malta/Whitewater 61.0
10. Conrad 59.0
11. Anaconda 51.5
12. Broadwater (Townsend) 47.5
12. Shepherd 47.5
14. Fairfield/Simms 45.0
14. Forsyth 45.0
16. Thompson Falls 44.0
17. Cascade 43.0
18. St. Ignatius/Charlo 41.5
19. Circle 39.0
20. Whitehall 37.0
21. Choteau 36.0
22. Cut Bank 29.0
23. Wolf Point 27.0
24. Columbus/Absarokee 21.0
25. Valier 20.5
26. Shelby 20.0
27. Bigfork 19.0
28. Chinook 18.5
29. Powder River Co. (Broadus) 16.0
30. Harlem 13.5
31. Poplar 11.0
32. Fort Benton 9.0
33. Florence-Carlton 6.0
33. Jefferson (Boulder) 6.0
35. Belt 3.0
36. Highwood 0.0
36. Powell Co. (Deer Lodge) 0.0
36. Superior / Alberton 0.0

IntuitiveGriz said:
Do yourself a favor and watch this THRILLING last victory at STATE: :shock: :clap:

http://s200.trackwrestling.com/tw/VideoPlayer.jsp?TIM=1486891084821&twSessionId=uxycumqmmsiwsey&matchId=5553139104

I watched it live. I can't believe that Velasquez went for the home run instead of OT. Awesome matches in all of the weights and divisions. Crowd went nuts many times. Definitely worth the view if you missed it or weren't there.

Intuitive....of course, many high school tennis players aren't serious about the sport,but many are. However, tennis is offered as a sport in more colleges than wrestling. Further, on a national and international basis, tennis is much more popular than wrestling.

rcscott said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

I watched it live. I can't believe that Velasquez went for the home run instead of OT. Awesome matches in all of the weights and divisions. Crowd went nuts many times. Definitely worth the view if you missed it or weren't there.
I was there too. He didn't go for a home run. He looked to relax a touch thinking they were headed to overtime and Peak just simply ran him over. Peak took it. Watch it again...Peak drives his feat first and Trae is caught off guard and tried to throw his hips out of desperation. He didn't just capitalize on a poor move by Trae. I know Trae very, very well. I feel terrible for him, as Trae is an awesome young man, I think a 4.0 student. But I absolutely give 100% credit to Peak for wrestling a great match.

Almost as thrilling was Justin Gibson from Glacier getting a takedown with only 3 seconds left on the clock in overtime to beat the #1 ranked guy from CMR.

It was a GREAT tournament this year. A lot of drama and tremendous matches.

Bottom line: Hopefully, the new President of UM and the BOR will decide to offer wrestling, swimming and baseball gradually over a few years. Eventually, this will build upon our enrollment and make our students more diverse in make up.
At the same time, we should look at a new conference that places emphasis on the up athletic programs.
Speaking of a new President, have we initiated a national search? Lets get the show on the road at UM!

George Ferguson said:
rcscott said:

I've tried for years to get wrestlers into my program, and, a lot of them always tell me they wish they could, but, they just don't take the plunge. Parker Filius hung around with a lot of tennis kids and would always come play in the evenings. He would have been solid. Jase Stokes has told me 100 times he wish he would have played tennis. Dane Warp (who would have been a four-time state champion wrestler) has said his only regret in his high school athletic career was not playing tennis for me. I've always thought wrestlers would do well in tennis. But here in Havre, wrestlers don't do spring sports at all, not track or tennis. They wrestle. I can't knock it. It works well for them. The dynasty we have here isn't going anyway any time soon.

Had a football player that was a good tennis player didn't you.

Pin2Win said:
rcscott said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

I was there too. He didn't go for a home run. He looked to relax a touch thinking they were headed to overtime and Peak just simply ran him over. Peak took it. Watch it again...Peak drives his feat first and Trae is caught off guard and tried to throw his hips out of desperation. He didn't just capitalize on a poor move by Trae. I know Trae very, very well. I feel terrible for him, as Trae is an awesome young man, I think a 4.0 student. But I absolutely give 100% credit to Peak for wrestling a great match.

Almost as thrilling was Justin Gibson from Glacier getting a takedown with only 3 seconds left on the clock in overtime to beat the #1 ranked guy from CMR.

It was a GREAT tournament this year. A lot of drama and tremendous matches.
Thanks for the insight. Standing on the benches from the Metra floor is not the greatest perch out there. It lookied like he was trying to throw a Jap Whizzer. I think I'll go back and watch the track wrestling vid. I've talked with his dad several times and can believe in the "awesome young man" comment. I like Rich.

Back