• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Wrestling

fanofzoo said:
George Ferguson said:
rcscott said:
High school tennis seems to be on the rise to me. Problem with Tennis these days, is you have to be "a member of the country club" to compete and practice year round. The opportunities for your average families are very limited to compete in tennis. Not so much with wrestling. I would bet that only a handful of people on this site could name one player from your list.
I would also bet that the name of Zaddick, Davis, Eggum,Todd etc. would be more recognizable on this board, as well as team traditions from Butte, Havre, and Conrad.
The sport of Tennis lives in a bubble in Montana due to our weather and access to facilities. The sport of wrestling lives in a bubble in Montana because it's not the cool sport. Both are the same.
By the way, I'm not a tennis player. I teach mental toughness with our girls and basics. It's starting to become a good formula.

I've tried for years to get wrestlers into my program, and, a lot of them always tell me they wish they could, but, they just don't take the plunge. Parker Filius hung around with a lot of tennis kids and would always come play in the evenings. He would have been solid. Jase Stokes has told me 100 times he wish he would have played tennis. Dane Warp (who would have been a four-time state champion wrestler) has said his only regret in his high school athletic career was not playing tennis for me. I've always thought wrestlers would do well in tennis. But here in Havre, wrestlers don't do spring sports at all, not track or tennis. They wrestle. I can't knock it. It works well for them. The dynasty we have here isn't going anyway any time soon.

Had a football player that was a good tennis player didn't you.

In my 15 years as the tennis coach, I've had eight kids in my program that went on to play college football, including that one guy that I said was an OK player for the Griz :thumb:

Spanky said:
Your point? Does that explain why few colleges offer wrestling? What the he'll does tennis have to do with wrestling?

A bit defensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It would be nice to see wrestling but I don't think it is in the cards. We can't even get students to support the basketball team. Oregon has 75 million reasons why there will be no return to wrestling.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2015/10/goe_the_university_of_oregon_t.html

Spanky

There were multiple post re: the popularity of tennis vs wrestling. I just provided data for that discussion.

I agree. I'm not a good source for tennis facts or data.

But you can pick any tennis player and I get to pick a wrestler and we'll let em go at it in an ally. Winner takes all.

77matcat said:
Spanky

There were multiple post re: the popularity of tennis vs wrestling. I just provided data for that discussion.

But you can pick any tennis player and I get to pick a wrestler and we'll let em go at it in an ally. Winner takes all.

Look for MSU to add wrestling soon. Few know that Waded's cousin is Dos Caras. Mark it down!

dos-caras-con-cinturon-cmll.jpeg

77, I'm tempted to take you up on that. There are many tennis players that are able to handle themselves in a dark alley.

Ursa Major said:
77matcat said:
Spanky

Look for MSU to add wrestling soon. Few know that Waded's cousin is Dos Caras. Mark it down!

dos-caras-con-cinturon-cmll.jpeg

:clap: brilliant.

It looks like Oregon has a anti wrestling agenda. When they shut down wrestling they re started their baseball program. Uncle Phil could sell uniforms, cleats, hats bats and F-all for baseball, wrestling not so much.
By continually raising the endowment figure and requiring wrestling to fund its new female counterpart, Phil has made it clear that wrestling is out.
Using D-1 participation numbers and national level success at all college levels, I believe the state of Montana produces more high level talent in wrestling than any other sport. Can anybody find another situation where a state doesn't have any of its highest level college's compete in a sport that is their states most competitive endeavor.
George, better temper your 4-time state champ predictions. You do realize that Kyle Fisher and Evan Hinebauch, both NAIA national champs from Havre weren't 4 timers.

Glad that we're meeting one of the stated goals of high school sports by establishing and instilling life-long skills in the wrestling student athlete. :oops:

firtrader said:
It looks like Oregon has a anti wrestling agenda. When they shut down wrestling they re started their baseball program. Uncle Phil could sell uniforms, cleats, hats bats and F-all for baseball, wrestling not so much.
By continually raising the endowment figure and requiring wrestling to fund its new female counterpart, Phil has made it clear that wrestling is out.
Using D-1 participation numbers and national level success at all college levels, I believe the state of Montana produces more high level talent in wrestling than any other sport. Can anybody find another situation where a state doesn't have any of its highest level college's compete in a sport that is their states most competitive endeavor.
George, better temper your 4-time state champ predictions. You do realize that Kyle Fisher and Evan Hinebauch, both NAIA national champs from Havre weren't 4 timers.

Yeah, I think since I was on the mat for both of their national titles I know where they're from. But temper my four-time predictions? I don't even know what that means.

George Ferguson said:
firtrader said:

Yeah, I think since I was on the mat for both of their national titles I know where they're from. But temper my four-time predictions? I don't even know what that means.

I think it means that you shouldn't say outlandish things like:

George Ferguson said:
Dane Warp (who would have been a four-time state champion wrestler) has said his only regret in his high school athletic career was not playing tennis for me.

The kid played basketball in high school for christsakes! It's stupid to say that he could have been a four-timer, but to say that he would have been one is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on this board.

Ursa Major said:
Look for MSU to add wrestling soon.

Taking all of the joking out...there has been very substantial push in the past to re-instate the wrestling program as MSU. There are some significant boosters that would love to see this happen. This was part of the reason MSU hosted a duel a few years ago between University of Michigan and Oregon State. Yes, Tyrel Todd, a Bozeman native, was at Mich. then, but that was only a part of the equation.

The current AD at MSU just came from South Dakota State, which has a very solid DI Wrestling program. It would not surprise me if it happened, even if it still is somewhat of a long shot.

biga75 said:
George Ferguson said:
firtrader said:

George Ferguson said:
Dane Warp (who would have been a four-time state champion wrestler) has said his only regret in his high school athletic career was not playing tennis for me.

The kid played basketball in high school for christsakes! It's stupid to say that he could have been a four-timer, but to say that he would have been one is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on this board.

Ahh, except I guess I didn't mention the fact that Dane wrestled AAU/Lil Blue Pony Wrestling from the time he was six through eighth grade, won state championships and beat a multitude of the kids who were competing at the state tournament this weekend. He also STRONGLY considered sticking with wrestling for much of the summer leading into his freshman year of high school. THAT'S why I said that outlandish thing I said. Being coached by Scott Filius, there's no doubt in my mind Dane would have been absolutely great as a Havre High wrestler.

George Ferguson said:
biga75 said:
George Ferguson said:
firtrader said:

George Ferguson said:

Ahh, except I guess I didn't mention the fact that Dane wrestled AAU/Lil Blue Pony Wrestling from the time he was six through eighth grade, won state championships and beat a multitude of the kids who were competing at the state tournament this weekend. He also STRONGLY considered sticking with wrestling for much of the summer leading into his freshman year of high school. THAT'S why I said that outlandish thing I said. Being coached by Scott Filius, there's no doubt in my mind Dane would have been absolutely great as a Havre High wrestler.

That's more like it. Include some additional info to back up the outlandish statement from before, and then it doesn't seem so crazy :thumb:

get rid of football and replace it with wrestling, hockey and baseball and have three top notch competitive sports at the highest levels of collegiate athletics instead of a small college football team

indian-outlaw said:
get rid of football and replace it with wrestling, hockey and baseball and have three top notch competitive sports at the highest levels of collegiate athletics instead of a small college football team

Then watch the athletic dept shrivel up and dry because there is literally no money to fund it.

Just a question here, and not trying to be a dick. How many people go to watch the tennis matches? I've never been to one and probably wouldn't if they were a block away, but to each their own. I would however drive over for every home wrestling match. If MSU adds wrestling and we don't I'll go watch that too. I know it's unlikely it will be added, but with the increasing push for girls wrestling it would be a relatively cheap add with title 9 compliance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back