• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Wrestling

EverettGriz said:
I'm 100% all for wrestling.

It's just never going to happen if remain in the bsc.

What conference do you think NDSU wrestles in?

Hint, it's not the MVC or the Summit.

Don't have any numbers concerning tennis vs wresting in Montana -- before or after Title IX basically killed collegiate wrestling. (Yes, it did, as several on here have said.) But it seems to me that, back then, wrestling was way more popular (and had more -- male -- participants) than tennis.

But times have changed (a lot). Even women's boxing is vastly more popular than at was 15-20 years ago (with different, wimped-down rules, but SBI). Same with women's wrestling. Seems to me women wrestlers can be (are?) competitive with males (at least at the lower weight levels) in high school and starting out in college. Did anyone watch women's weight-lifting at the Olympics? Shee-ha ... those "babes" are strong.

So why not M/W wrestling? Perhaps make the decision based on cost-vs-income for the two sports. (I know, makes too much sense. ;) )

As a guy who has coached tennis for 15 years, including coaching a dude who kind of did OK as a Montana Grizzly football player, I say HELLLL NOOOOOO to UM dropping tennis, and I know it wouldn't happen, so not too worried about it. And BTW, I love wrestling, so no need to come back at me with wrestling is a better sport. I've been covering high school and college wrestling in Montana for pretty much the exact same amount of time I've been the head tennis coach here.

And anyone who has an issue with tennis, first I'd say, take it up with that guy that was OK for the Griz, or Jeff Larson or the recently graduated Zach Peevey.

I would also add, I've had three times as many kids come through my program that went on to play college football the last 15 years than have been in track and field and gone on to play college football in that same time frame. So I don't want to hear jack about tennis not being a great sport.

NAIA Eastern Oregon has added Women's wrestling and I believe U of Great Falls has it in the works to add the sport as well.

I still think wrestling would be a good fit for UM. Even better If it could happen without sacrificing another program. Perhaps the M/W wrestling approach could help in that regard.
As far as the wrestling-tennis argument, Montana wrestlers have gone on to win a at least 2 D1 and 17 NAIA national titles. What say you tennis?

Fir, I would comment that you don't have any idea what it takes to compete in tennis on a national level. Please understand that I am a former member of the USTA National Junior Tennis Council, thus, I am not making a wise guy comment to you.

What really sucked about the title 9 ruling is that UM had a wrestling team that was really really good, and title 9 killed the sport at UM.

In fact the last year UM had a team they dang near beat the Iowa Hawkeyes in their hay day. I think they lost by 8 points.

Likewise Spank, I would submit that you have no inkling of how brutal college wrestling can be. There are 4 time state champions from all over the U.S. That can't crack the starting lineup of a D-1 team until their junior or senior year. Further, the list is long of ncaa champions that have to commit another 3+ years of intense training just to have a shot at an international competition.

Very true, Fir. I realize that wrestling is a great sport and I would like to see it at UM. In fact, we should add other sports such as baseball. One day, UM will be strong again and our leadership can focus on building our athletic program.

How many Montana high school tennis players go on to play D1 tennis? Hell college tennis at all. Now check how many wrestlers from Montana that do to all levels and gave success against the best in the country. How many people watch high school tennis? How many are currently filling the metra for wrestling. No comparison what so ever.

Ursus1 said:
How many Montana high school tennis players go on to play D1 tennis? Hell college tennis at all. Now check how many wrestlers from Montana that do to all levels and gave success against the best in the country. How many people watch high school tennis? How many are currently filling the metra for wrestling. No comparison what so ever.

Since I've been around it, and all of the other olympic sports in high school in Montana, I can say, no less than how many show up for the state cross country meet, the state track meet, or the state swimming championships. I've been to them all for decades now, including the state swim meet just yesterday and tennis isn't any less supported. I don't see anyone saying Montana high school tennis is as popular support or participation wise than wrestling. Spanky isn't saying that. But, how many people attend the Montana high school wrestling state tournament has NOTHING to do with why Montana and Montana State shouldn't have men's and women's tennis. That's just a dumb argument.

I would love to see wrestling back at UM. I just also know the reasons why it won't happen, and tennis isn't the reason. It wasn't the reason it was dropped either because UM already HAD tennis when wrestling was dropped.

Spanky said:
Your knowledge is very limited Ursus.

Just what did I post that wasn't 100% accurate? Or do facts lift your tennis skirt? And my knowledge in this area of high school sports, participants and ability needed to succeed in a collegiate level is just fine. Bottom line was tennis is cheap wrestling costs more and you can balance football with female tennis players but if you have wrestling those male numbers are hard to blance without adding expensive alternatives. I was around when UM wrestled, I know what happened. Face the facts female tennis/golf exist at UM is due to title 9 and they are a cheap way to meet minimum sport standards for NCAA.

go96griz said:
Spanky said:
96, maybe you forgot, but girls don't wrestle. However, I did recently see. Where a young lady was wrestling somewhere.
Bottom line: some people would like UM to offer wrestling. It should be considered on the merits of the sport and not dropping tennis. Some are not aware how popular tennis is in Montana and world wide. Nor are they aware how difficult it is to be able to play tennis at a high level. Get out and watch tennis. Better yet, take up the game and enjoy a great sport!

I didn't forget girls don't wrestle because I know there are a few girls wrestling in the state. One is a coach's daughter and she very likely could win a state championship.

Apparently you don't know squat about montana wrestling. .......she will never win state.

I don't know why the posters are comparing wrestling to tennis? Why not pick volleyball or golf or soccer? Maybe track? I do know that many division1 programs on a national basis don't offer wrestling. Why? Conversely, I'm not aware of a division 1 program not offering tennis. Here are a few schools whereby I knew Montana student athletes played Division 1 tennis: Cal-Berkeley, Texas, Notre Dame, St.Marys, Wake Forest, Utah, Montana, Montana State. Not a bad list.

Ursus, I was around then as well. I was also around when UM had baseball. Face it, you really don't know anything about tennis and the international popularity of the sport.

Title IX was, at least in part, the reason UM dropped wrestling and swimming. Both were very successful. Counting participants instead of numbers of sports, and disregarding revenue producing, has always been wrong. IMO the outstanding high school swimmers, tennis players, wrestlers, and baseball players should be offered the opportunity to continue with their sports at UM. The leaders of these teams, because of their commitment and discipline, are usually the type of students we would like to have...and they bring others with them. Forget about counting 65 footballers against our title IX number and add more sports. Somewhere, someone, sometime has to re-visit title IX.

Sunday morning after the tourney in Billings. Some points after reading the thread.

Title ix sucks and killed wrestling. No dispute from alot of people.

I coach both wrestling and tennis. Both great sports. Do them both. Money can be found.

The Velasquez girl is the real deal and could be a state champ. Most girls don't thrive after their junior year due to strength issues with the boys.

Wrestling is a popular sport within the wrestling community. Not so much with people that have no interest to learn the sport that I've given a chunk of my life to for over 2 decades. That sucks.

A program on the D1 level would do great things for the U. Even state college doing it would be supported by me.

Best semi's and finals I've seen in a long time at least on the B-C end of things. Sounded exciting on the other end of the Metra too.

I know a lot of wrestlers that have went on to compete on every level of competition. Tennis players not so much. Maybe a lot of people don't care about that sport too.

All great athletes though. They are both individual sports that put you out there with no excuses. That's the beauty of them.

And that's all I have to say about that

And one more thing....

Hats off to Stokes, Deegan, Currier, and Filius for their 4 time status. Kids earned it and are studs.

Latest posts

Back