• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Write to Haslam.

DoubleNicks said:
I would assume the streaming restrictions are for redistributing the actual feeds from Root. What's stopping the UM from having a student-run production crew offering unique game footage on GoGriz? It would benefit the students with the experience, drive traffic/interest to GoGriz, and make some fans happier and more connected with the teams.

When bigskytv was starting up this is how a lot of schools provided the footage before the conference and most the schools had tv contracts. Sure, the quality might be a little low but at least it would be a viewing option.

Unfortunately, I presume that Root's attorneys are smart enough to include the term "exclusive broadcast rights" into the contract.

EverettGriz said:
DoubleNicks said:
I would assume the streaming restrictions are for redistributing the actual feeds from Root. What's stopping the UM from having a student-run production crew offering unique game footage on GoGriz? It would benefit the students with the experience, drive traffic/interest to GoGriz, and make some fans happier and more connected with the teams.

When bigskytv was starting up this is how a lot of schools provided the footage before the conference and most the schools had tv contracts. Sure, the quality might be a little low but at least it would be a viewing option.

Unfortunately, I presume that Root's attorneys are smart enough to include the term "exclusive broadcast rights" into the contract.

That is how I play it with my collection of videos and spy cams.....

grizindabox said:
This is just a ploy by the BSC to make it an even playing field....figure they want to limit the people able to view UM to match the people that actually watch a majority of the other conference teams....
Haha it's sad but this conspiracy might be true. I've seen a lot more OOC FCS games than BSC games and more UND, PSU, EWU, etc. games than the two UM games (NDSU & Liberty) I've been able to watch.

EverettGriz said:
DoubleNicks said:

Yeah, you're probably right. Although, does that mean Alpha or any fan posting a Youtube vid could technically be sued?

EverettGriz said:
Eriul said:
EverettGriz said:
This is a classic case of you can't please everyone. Root is available in over 1,000,000 households. Yes, you've still got to be connected to the cord, and you may have to pay $8 a month for the Sports package. But for the most part if you want it, it's available in your area.

For those of us living outside the Cowles area with access to Root, we LOVE the Root games. Otherwise, we're stuck trying to get the games on FTA satellite, a hit-and-miss operation in the best of conditions.

Can't please everyone.

you could...allow a stream online...

:shock:

I know...mind boggling

Soooooo, the email should be directed at the CEO for Root, not Kent.

I know... mind boggling. :eek:

Yah that has about a 0% chance of making a difference. However if haslam is influenced then there is some leverage there with the tv rights...

So yah...

Having Root doesn't guarantee getting to see Griz games. We have Root on two channels and the No. Ariz. game was preempted for Wyo/New Mexico on both channels. We're in northern Wyoming and my sister was visiting her son in KayCee(east central Wyo.) and she was able to see the game there. Makes no sense to me.

Back when Hermes had the rights, all games were at least on C-band satellite with the broadcast coordinates publicized. Many years you could watch every single game if you had a C-band dish -- and most sports bars did. Now if all games were at least put on FTA satellite then bars could get it and enterprising individuals (like me) could too. It wouldn't solve all problems but it would get us back to where we were 10 years ago (but in HD of course!).

GriznWyo said:
Having Root doesn't guarantee getting to see Griz games. We have Root on two channels and the No. Ariz. game was preempted for Wyo/New Mexico on both channels. We're in northern Wyoming and my sister was visiting her son in KayCee(east central Wyo.) and she was able to see the game there. Makes no sense to me.

Again, all 3 Root stations (Seattle, Denver, Pittsburgh) are available in just about every market; buy the sports package. It's awesome.

As for the FTA option, good luck finding a bar that still has (or is willing to get) the equipment.

When you write Kent, aim lower to start.

How many events, news conferences, actual games were so poorly produced that you missed some/much of the content that was being advertised as being available "on-line?' In the case of GG, much of that content is available behind the pay wall. Two examples, the Stitt introductory news conference that was supposed to be available wasn't until twenty minutes after it started and the first half of the CPSLO game was a mess, all due to the UM side of the process according to Sidearm . (Their response when I reached out to ask what was going on). It now takes a f$%king week, sometimes two, to post the Tuesday coaches show. The reality is that this isn't an artifact of some turmoil in the office this year, it's been the case for years.

Eventually, we'll get past the contractual, copyright, regulatory and financial feasibility issues that are now keeping you from live streaming any Griz event you want. But will the infrastructure and process resources be in place to make it a first-world presentation? Who knows? But if past performance is an indicator of future results, don't be surprised.

EverettGriz said:
GriznWyo said:

Again, all 3 Root stations (Seattle, Denver, Pittsburgh) are available in just about every market; buy the sports package. It's awesome.

As for the FTA option, good luck finding a bar that still has (or is willing to get) the equipment.
SoCal, Nevada, AZ have vastly more market than those you mention....and, I bet, a much bigger alumni rep than people think. Still, I have found Saturdays to be good for doing things I forgot even existed. No longer watch UM, and the local teams mostly play at night. Of course, I won't be donating to UM...sorta given up...

GrizLA said:
EverettGriz said:
SoCal, Nevada, AZ have vastly more market than those you mention....and, I bet, a much bigger alumni rep than people think. Still, I have found Saturdays to be good for doing things I forgot even existed. No longer watch UM, and the local teams mostly play at night. Of course, I won't be donating to UM...sorta given up...

Then what are you doing here?

GrizLA said:
EverettGriz said:
GriznWyo said:

Yes. And Root NW is available in all of them.

And buh bye, then!! You'll be misseed. Ah fuckit, no you really won't.

If the day ever comes when Montana is part of a bonafide conference with wider appeal beyond friends and family the matter will be solved. For Mountain West fans their games generally show up on one of the ESPN channels. That would end the problem - and all of the annual pissing and moaning regarding the matter.

I'm really upset. I live on the Moon, don't have basic cable or this "internet" you speak of, and want to watch EVERY Griz game, both home and away, in HD quality! Fire Haslam for not making this happen!

kemajic said:
Some pretty naïve responses to the issue. There are many places in MT where the ISP either does not support ESPN3 or it is not fast enough to avoid constant buffering. Cable is not available everywhere and Cowles SWX is not carried by all suppliers (e.g. Century Link, DirecTV). Root, of course, carries only a fraction of Griz games. If the game is not on Root or a local channel, many viewers, who have no choices, cannot get it without traveling to a sports bar.

Of course Montana has little leverage or independence relating to TV contracts; it is only my hope that Haslam will figure out some better negotiation angles as contracts are renewed. But I suspect this will continue to be a problem as long as we are members of the BSC and their TV contracts.

Pretty much nails it. +1

.......move to Montana, get one of many cable or dish packages, come to home games, watch several road games on cable or dish, try to get the rare one you don't see live or on your TV package via whatever streaming option you have.....get pissed off....go watch the game at Red's!

EverettGriz said:
Eriul said:
EverettGriz said:
This is a classic case of you can't please everyone. Root is available in over 1,000,000 households. Yes, you've still got to be connected to the cord, and you may have to pay $8 a month for the Sports package. But for the most part if you want it, it's available in your area.

For those of us living outside the Cowles area with access to Root, we LOVE the Root games. Otherwise, we're stuck trying to get the games on FTA satellite, a hit-and-miss operation in the best of conditions.

Can't please everyone.

you could...allow a stream online...

:shock:

I know...mind boggling

Soooooo, the email should be directed at the CEO for Root, not Kent.

I know... mind boggling. :eek:

No you're right it should be...and Kent got back to me(as he always has) and laid it all out for me in a very lenghty email. I have posted the meat of it below. I'm sure a lot of you guys on here are boosters or connected enough and already know all this, but for those that aren't this was very helpful to me....and made me a lot less pissed off at Kent. Again I think he does a great job with our athletic department. It seems like all he can do is try and push the conference to another direction, something that is most likely hard to do, since only us and Montana State get the viewers numbers that the conference does.

NDSU – ESPN takes the rights and when they take the rights they dictate what happens. They control everything. Broadcast and streaming rights. I don’t think anyone would question the value in having ESPN televise this game.

Cal Poly – Non-conference home game so UM owns all rights. Sold to a local station and available on All-Access since UM controls all aspect of the rights. Technical difficulties which we have already discussed in previous emails. Our bad on the failure of the first half of the streaming.

@ Liberty – We don’t own the rights. All decisions made by Liberty. They have a partnership with ESPN3.

NAU – Conference game, Big Sky Conference owns the rights. ROOT picks up game so available only on ROOT Sports and the Audience Network.

@ UC Davis – Conference game, Big Sky Conference owns the rights. ROOT picks up the game so available only on ROOT Sports and the Audience Network.

Weber State – Conference game, Big Sky Conference owns the rights. ROOT declines the game so Big Sky Conference sells the rights to Cowles Media. Contract allows for streaming so the game is available for free on WatchBigSky.com.

North Dakota – Conference game, Big Sky Conference owns the rights. ROOT picks up game so available only on ROOT Sports and the Audience Network.

@ Portland State – Conference game, Big Sky Conference owns the rights. ROOT declines the game so Big Sky Conference sells the rights to Cowles Media. Contract allows for streaming so the game is available for free on WatchBigSky.com

@Idaho State - Conference game, Big Sky Conference owns the rights. ROOT declines the game so Big Sky Conference sells the rights to Cowles Media. Contract allows for streaming so the game is available for free on WatchBigSky.com.

EWU - Conference game, Big Sky Conference owns the rights. ROOT picks up game so available only on ROOT Sports and the Audience Network.

@ MSU - Conference game, Big Sky Conference owns the rights. ROOT picks up game so available only on ROOT Sports and the Audience Network.

Both myself and Peter Fields (AD at MSU) have strongly advocated for ROOT Sports to allow for streaming in some form…especially to those who live outside the ROOT Sports viewing areas. We have shared that with the conference office and they are trying to work that through as well. I am hopeful there could be a change coming. The contract with ROOT Sports is for one more year beyond this one. ROOT Sports is a business and they don’t want competing entities out their providing an alternative to their service. They are owned by DirecTV and want to drive consumers to their products. I can’t say that I blame them. They paid the Big Sky Conference for the rights and they negotiated all they could on the front end. Again…I can’t blame them.

Again I was very critical of the way this streaming has been handled, but after his email response, I beleive him when he says theyre doing everything they can to get us games to watch. Oh P.S. he also agreed about ALL ACCESS and what we thought of it..haha

couldn't gogriz.com just stream the games and give the above-cost profits to root? that would make everyone but the investors in gogriz.com happy.

and for those who say 'all' one has to do is buy directv/dishtv/whatever cable with the extra sports package, well... you are probably fat, middle aged, and making far more money than what you should. there are people out there who actually have to live on a budget.

But naturally it all comes down to the fact that the Griz and our fan base has out grown the BSC and now we're really seeing the reprecusions of this. Other fan bases cant garner up a viewing to make it worth while for the conference not to sell out to a 3rd rate television company....thats basically what all this told me.

Something does not make sense. Root earns its money from advertising. If they stream the feed as well as offer it on their channel, they access more viewers. Which part of Marketing 101 am I missing here?

Latest posts

Back