• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Write to Haslam.

havgrizfan said:
Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. Anyone who has watched a Root broadcast, Griz or no Griz can't tell me it isn't 100,000x better than anything teams in this conference have had for television, save ESPN playoff games. It's not even in the same ballpark as the past. I for one hope Root re-ups with the Big Sky in 2017. I would absolutely despise going backwards with television games. It's the same with the petty bitching about uniforms. I'm sorry, but the deal the University of Montana has with Nike right now (Having a UM alumn as one of the top Nike execs) is 100,000x time better than anything this university had before it.

I agree, I love watching games on ROOT..they do a good job...my issue is that we cant even stream the games via root? Im sure none of us living outside the ROOT regions would have trouble paying to stream a game...thats my only issue. And who would ever be complaining about our UNIs???? We have a freaking nike elite contract with NIKE!!!!! Im sure no other FCS school is a NIKE Elite school. We got it made with NIke ...very grateful

Hoof Hearted said:
argh! said:
Hoof Hearted said:
I have DirecTv and I've seen every game so far at home in HD. Thanks Mr. Haslam. Dunno what the bellyaching is about.

it is the year 2015, and folks get their media from ways other than old fashioned t.v. these days. given the number of people on egriz who are expressing unhappiness about not being able to stream the games, i'm pretty sure we aren't the only griz fans who were previously able to stream the games, but can't any more.

Your sophistication with the times just dwarfs my old fashioned naivete. I am so impressed with you, almost as impressed as you are with yourself. I'll be watching all the games on multiple 4K sets, so enjoy your games you are able to get from your ultra sophisticated 2015 technology if you can.

my you are a sensitive little baby, aren't you. again, one could watch all the games on line back in the 90's, so i don't think it is really a big deal to think that making them available that way should be do-able again.

argh! said:
Hoof Hearted said:
argh! said:
Hoof Hearted said:
I have DirecTv and I've seen every game so far at home in HD. Thanks Mr. Haslam. Dunno what the bellyaching is about.

it is the year 2015, and folks get their media from ways other than old fashioned t.v. these days. given the number of people on egriz who are expressing unhappiness about not being able to stream the games, i'm pretty sure we aren't the only griz fans who were previously able to stream the games, but can't any more.

Your sophistication with the times just dwarfs my old fashioned naivete. I am so impressed with you, almost as impressed as you are with yourself. I'll be watching all the games on multiple 4K sets, so enjoy your games you are able to get from your ultra sophisticated 2015 technology if you can.

my you are a sensitive little baby, aren't you. again, one could watch all the games on line back in the 90's, so i don't think it is really a big deal to think that making them available that way should be do-able again.

Thats really all I'm saying....I wish we at least had the option.....its not difficult to stream a game in 2015....ISIS can do it from the middle of a freaking desert but somehow ROOT sports cant figure out a way to make it feasable?

Of course Root CAN do it. But they don't want to. And to understand why, you need to understand Root's decision to carry BSC football at all. It isn't to drive mad ratings numbers, I assure you.

The reason they want to carry FCS football is that Root NW is owned by the Seattle Mariners. The M's broadcasts are obviously their largest money-maker. Prior to the merger with the M's, the station was concerned about the smaller cable companies in Montana, Idaho and Oregon who were dropping or not carrying Root. The move to carry FCS football games was a way to further encourage those smaller cable companies to carry the station, and therefore put the Mariner games into far more households, as well as to generate additional cable usage fees from those smaller companies.

If they make the FCS games available on-line, their entire reason to carry the games goes away. In other words, I wouldn't look for it to happen anytime soon.

EverettGriz said:
Of course Root CAN do it. But they don't want to. And to understand why, you need to understand Root's decision to carry BSC football at all. It isn't to drive mad ratings numbers, I assure you.

The reason they want to carry FCS football is that Root NW is owned by the Seattle Mariners. The M's broadcasts are obviously their largest money-maker. Prior to the merger with the M's, the station was concerned about the smaller cable companies in Montana, Idaho and Oregon who were dropping or not carrying Root. The move to carry FCS football games was a way to further encourage those smaller cable companies to carry the station, and therefore put the Mariner games into far more households, as well as to generate additional cable usage fees from those smaller companies.

If they make the FCS games available on-line, their entire reason to carry the games goes away. In other words, I wouldn't look for it to happen anytime soon.

That makes sense.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
EverettGriz said:

That makes sense.

no it doesn't. the problem to solve is relatively small.

argh! said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
EverettGriz said:

That makes sense.

no it doesn't. the problem to solve is relatively small.

Small, as in the potential loss of tens of millions of dollars in revenue to Root?

I guess we disagree about what constitutes a "small" problem.

UMGriz75 said:
Something does not make sense. Root earns its money from advertising. If they stream the feed as well as offer it on their channel, they access more viewers. Which part of Marketing 101 am I missing here?
I think the key point is that DirecTv is the primary owner and operator of the Root Sports networks, so Root does not have an incentive to offer another alternative to viewers who might otherwise subscribe to DirecTv so they can get Root.

I actually made the switch to DirecTv this year, incidentally, and I'm not paying any more than I was with my old cable package. I guess that makes me part of the problem

More and more people are dropping cable and satellite providers and going to streaming only. You would think that media companies would figure out a way to provide a stream of each game they broadcast. You know, something radical like register at a web site and pay a fee.

I cut the cord 4 years ago due to crapy service, products, and cost. I've been a Griz fan for over 50 years but I won't go back to cable or satellite just to be able to watch a few games every year. If Haslam has any pull he should be using it to provide streaming along side broadcasts so that Montana gets as much exposure as possible and lets those of us that don't use the cord to catch the games.

octiparan said:
More and more people are dropping cable and satellite providers and going to streaming only. You would think that media companies would figure out a way to provide a stream of each game they broadcast. You know, something radical like register at a web site and pay a fee.

I cut the cord 4 years ago due to crapy service, products, and cost. I've been a Griz fan for over 50 years but I won't go back to cable or satellite just to be able to watch a few games every year. If Haslam has any pull he should be using it to provide streaming along side broadcasts so that Montana gets as much exposure as possible and lets those of us that don't use the cord to catch the games.

Oct, read my post above. Root doesn't care about the few grand they could make charging to stream a game. They care about cable and sat companies continuing to carry their channel. It's like the difference between bending down to pick up a grimey penny off the street and depositing your monthly paycheck.

For those folks who can't understand why a for-profit company doesn't want to give away its product I suggest getting a copy of Economics for Dummies... :coffee:

Silvertip said:
For those folks who can't understand why a for-profit company doesn't want to give away its product I suggest getting a copy of Economics for Dummies... :coffee:

nobody said they wanted root to "give away" their "tens of millions of dollars" from broadcasting a few griz games. just that we'd like a way to stream it, for which we'd all happily pay. i don't see why that is so hard for some of you to accept.

argh! said:
Silvertip said:

nobody said they wanted root to "give away" their "tens of millions of dollars" from broadcasting a few griz games. just that we'd like a way to stream it, for which we'd all happily pay. i don't see why that is so hard for some of you to accept.

Simple solution, have an agreement to pay the broadcast provider (ESPN, ROOT, etc) a percentage of the profit from online streaming options. I am not sure how the legal side of this would work out, but feel it would be a great way to have this be win win for everyone. :thumb:

argh! said:
Silvertip said:

argh, we DO accept that. And it would be great. But evidently you're not reading my posts. There is a specific reason Root won't stream the games, and it doesn't matter whether they charge or not.

Frankly, Root does not CARE about the revenue they could get by streaming these games. The primary purpose of bsc games is to ensure they maintain their contracts with the small cable companies in the Northwest. If they were to allow streaming, they immediately lose their primary economic reason for covering the games.

Earning a few bucks today by risking millions in the future isn't exactly a model for success.

EverettGriz said:
octiparan said:

Oct, read my post above. Root doesn't care about the few grand they could make charging to stream a game. They care about cable and sat companies continuing to carry their channel. It's like the difference between bending down to pick up a grimey penny off the street and depositing your monthly paycheck.

Thanks Everett. I just jumped in at the bottom of the thread due to time constraints. Knew I should have read first.

argh! said:
Silvertip said:

Argh for what it's worth, I'm with you. I've been making the same argument for years. I've emailed people at UM, at the BSC, and at Root, practically begging all of the above to exercise their respective powers to give us a reliable streaming option. And after several years of getting nowhere with that, I finally switched to directv, and am happy I did.

I understand the frustration, but I also understand the economic incentives that are preventing you from getting what you want. It'll probably change someday (maybe even fairly soon), but for now, you're basically cursing the darkness.

Grizlaw said:
argh! said:
Silvertip said:

Argh for what it's worth, I'm with you. I've been making the same argument for years. I've emailed people at UM, at the BSC, and at Root, practically begging all of the above to exercise their respective powers to give us a reliable streaming option. And after several years of getting nowhere with that, I finally switched to directv, and am happy I did.

I understand the frustration, but I also understand the economic incentives that are preventing you from getting what you want. It'll probably change someday (maybe even fairly soon), but for now, you're basically cursing the darkness.

I have been able to watch every griz game for the last 3 years and i've lived in Florida, North Carolina, and Colorado. No issues on my front, just need to find the illegal streams.

argh! said:
Hoof Hearted said:
argh! said:
Hoof Hearted said:

You are sooooo with the times and I feel sooooo inadequate (which I am sure was your objective). Hey, it all comes down to who can make a profit from taking a capitalist risk. In that regard. I have seen an impressive growth in the number of broadcast media organizations that are willing to broadcast Griz football productions (that sponsors are willing to underwrite because Griz football might just be a profitable product ), and thanks to Haslam for that and all he has done to align the stars in that direction. When your techhie gimmicks become profitable for sponsors then I'm sure that will pave the way for that technology to be available to your ultra sophisticated consumer class. Just get your checkbooks out ... oh wait. you are liberals, so never mind.

Hoof Hearted, argh! doesn't want a solution (DirecTV) to the problem, he just wants you to listen. Maybe you should ask how his day was, and be interested when he tells you about the things Chelsea said at lunch on Tuesday. Throw in a few things like, "Oh, that's so messed up" and, "Are you serious? You are so right." Have you ever thought of that?

Latest posts

Back