• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2019 Defense

bgbigdog said:
Spanky2 said:
Several of the experts have decided to go after Baer. He has some of the best qualifactions at the DC coaching position in our history. He has some age on him-so what!

It’s unfortunate that Dante Olson-like talent isn’t available @ every position. Then Baer would have been a genius.

Ha ha! That statement is similar to my thoughts on Courtney Messingham's critics when he spent one year in Bozeangeles! Come in after the shitstorm he walked into after the previous staffs lack of emphasis on recruiting OLs and futily try to run power and then listen to the idiots around me bitch and moan about his play calling got to be pretty funny actually! Has he lost a game with his piss poor play calling since he took a job in Fargo with all those baby buffalo linemen?

Wonder how many of next years OL and DL spent the break working out instead of heading home?

kemajic said:
fanofzoo said:
Ursus1 said:
So Bobby hired a guy to run a defense he was clueless about? Wonderful

and you were expecting....
Clueless was a D staff that could not recognize the Dante Olson talent and relegated him to ST. Clueless is calling full blitzes on 3rd and 17 against a running QB. Clueless is playing man against a QB that is no threat to pass so the DBs have their backs to him as he runs by. Clueless is a defense still looking for a sideline signal while the offense is snapping the ball. The defense in 2016 and 2017 was quite clueless.

And all that and he STILL never gave up 46 straight.

Copper Griz said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/dec/31/gage-gubrud-other-injured-eastern-washington-playe/

Suppose there had been better depth last year...just a thought.

Quite the number of injuries and I feel really bad for the seniors on the team. I am amazed EWU has done so well over the years. Crap facilities and a damn near non existent fan base. I guess being close to Spokane would be the only plus and their coaches have done a great job of winning. I am eager to see the Griz get back on track and the rivalry with EWU to become interesting again. Too bad the big sky is structured like Frankenstein right now. A damn joke.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I'd really like to see a few of the schools in the conference do as the ones who were in the WAC did a few years ago. Leave the conference as those in the Mountain West did and form their own regional conference. I too can't stand the unbalanced schedule and inconsistent regional games played year after year. It's difficult to get excited about heading to either Bozeangeles or Sanfranzoola to watch a game against Northern Colorado, Davis, NAU, Portland State or even Cal Poly.

Used to enjoy our noncon games against the Dakota schools, the Utah schools and it was fun watching Weber, the three Idaho schools, Reno, EWU...anyway...games I went to as a kid were pretty good teams. Basketball was even better because some great players and teams showed up on the schedules and actually came to the state of Montana.

Spanky2 said:
Several of the experts have decided to go after Baer. He has some of the best qualifactions at the DC coaching position in our history. He has some age on him-so what!

I would say his overall results leave a lot to be desired, but he has been around.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
fanofzoo said:
Ursus1 said:
So Bobby hired a guy to run a defense he was clueless about? Wonderful

Clueless was a D staff that could not recognize the Dante Olson talent and relegated him to ST. Clueless is calling full blitzes on 3rd and 17 against a running QB. Clueless is playing man against a QB that is no threat to pass so the DBs have their backs to him as he runs by. Clueless is a defense still looking for a sideline signal while the offense is snapping the ball. The defense in 2016 and 2017 was quite clueless.

Well, if the offense could have scored in there anywhere, they wouldn't have given up 46 straight...

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
fanofzoo said:

Well, if the offense could have scored in there anywhere, they wouldn't have given up 46 straight...

Stop...please...no more facts...

PlayerRep said:
Ursus1 said:
kemajic said:
fanofzoo said:

Totally agree they needed to go. But....logic says if it is a specific defense you want than find a coach that specializes in it, or want the coach hinself then let him run the defense he knows. This was hiring an old dog and trying to teach him new tricks.

No wonder second half collapses, he couldn't re-adjust to offensive adjustments. Did fine when they knew what was coming, but couldn't make the counter moves.

UM gave up only 48 points in the 3d quarter (about 4.5 per game), and 148 in the 4th Q. Are you saying the offenses waited until after the 3d quarter to make their adjustments, and then Baer couldn't adjust?

Posts that have no basis (i.e. are just made up) and are completely inconsistent with the facts make me laugh.

Are you saying that coaches can't make adjustments except at halftime?

behappp said:
griz71 said:
AZDoc said:
I’m hoping for an upgrade in the most important spot...coordinator

:thumb:

This ain't happening so let's stay on topic.
I believe that we needed more DT rotation last year. It seemed they were worn down by the end of the game. Maybe as a result of having to move some to OL? Just a thought.

AZ Doc - I owe you an apology. I had originally read this topic to be similar to 2019 RB's and expected it to be about the players. I really would like to see more about the players we will have and less about the adequacy/inadequacy of our coaches. But this was more in my mind than in reality so I do believe a public apology is in order.

BTW - I remain quite skeptical of the job that was done by our DC, but remain hopeful for 2019. You are what your record says you are and our inability to defend in the 4th qtr like we did last year needs to be taken care of.

behappp said:
PlayerRep said:
Ursus1 said:
kemajic said:

Totally agree they needed to go. But....logic says if it is a specific defense you want than find a coach that specializes in it, or want the coach hinself then let him run the defense he knows. This was hiring an old dog and trying to teach him new tricks.

No wonder second half collapses, he couldn't re-adjust to offensive adjustments. Did fine when they knew what was coming, but couldn't make the counter moves.

UM gave up only 48 points in the 3d quarter (about 4.5 per game), and 148 in the 4th Q. Are you saying the offenses waited until after the 3d quarter to make their adjustments, and then Baer couldn't adjust?

Posts that have no basis (i.e. are just made up) and are completely inconsistent with the facts make me laugh.

Are you saying that coaches can't make adjustments except at halftime?

Nope, but are you and Ursus1 saying that opposing offensive coaches all made their adjustments after the 3d quarter (and then Baer couldn't adjust to hold off the opposing offenses in the 4th quarter)?

When do you think most coaching adjustments are made? Not at halftime? I have certainly never heard that major coaching adjustments are made between the 3d and 4th quarters.

UM gave up six 3d quarter TD's in 2018: to NI, Drake, Cal Poly (2), Davis, Idaho. That is pretty darn good. UM won 4 of those 5 games. The problem wasn't the 3d quarter defense.

As I have said before, Baer didn't forget how to coach between the 3d and 4th quarters. I also doubt that opposing offenses were making big adjustments between the 3d and 4th quarters. Sure, some adjustments were probably made at various points of games including as the game goes on.

Can you coach basher's please provide some evidence of any one on Coach Stitt.s staff , or the current staff that Fumbled the football, or threw one incomplete pass, or missed one tackle,blew an assignment, missed an extra point,or dropped a pass. You need to understand the gut wrenching pain and frustration that comes with one or two plays that ruin a season, and could impact their future in a tough profession. Unless you have walked a ways in their Moccasins, I suggest you get off their butt, and become a positive Griz Fan. Go Griz

Griz#64 said:
Can you coach basher's please provide some evidence of any one on Coach Stitt.s staff , or the current staff that Fumbled the football, or threw one incomplete pass, or missed one tackle,blew an assignment, missed an extra point,or dropped a pass. You need to understand the gut wrenching pain and frustration that comes with one or two plays that ruin a season, and could impact their future in a tough profession. Unless you have walked a ways in their Moccasins, I suggest you get off their butt, and become a positive Griz Fan. Go Griz

They knew the conditions of their moccasins when they chose to get paid to wear them.

Sort of like what you posted before:

Look: These Kids want to win: Trust me. Coaches, you must do what you get paid to do. Teach em, Coach em, Correct em,love em, scold em, But Dammit Coach em. They would lay down their life for you. I know..Go Griz

So you're saying the 4th quarter collapse after collapse was due to using gassed starters?

Remind us who decides the personnel on the field? Does that responsibility change from quarter to quarter? Who decides if and when to rotate in the 2's? Who pays attention to when the OC calls repetitive sideline plays to the far side to make the defense run farther and wear out faster? Who calls defenses in a predicable pattern in response to similar downs and distances? Who tells the HC his defense needs a blow mid drive? Whose job is it to notice when players start arm tackling? We hear that Semore didn't recognize Olson's talent during his last year as DC. Who judged the defensive players' talent this year?

Asking for a friend who has never played the game.

Exactly: I thought no one read my insignificant responses. Encourage our coaches, don,t bash em. A great program should have everyone pulling the wagon. Go Griz Nation

grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:
184, I hope you aren’t comparing Semore to Baer. Baer is a coach.

Still curious why you believe he is a good coach?
He is not breske or gregorak but he's pretty good. I think Hauck will replace him in a heartbeat if he finds better.

indian-outlaw said:
grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:

He is not breske or gregorak but he's pretty good. I think Hauck will replace him in a heartbeat if he finds better.

Once again, what about his background makes you believe that he is "pretty good"?

behappp said:
behappp said:
griz71 said:
AZDoc said:
I’m hoping for an upgrade in the most important spot...coordinator

:thumb:

This ain't happening so let's stay on topic.
I believe that we needed more DT rotation last year. It seemed they were worn down by the end of the game. Maybe as a result of having to move some to OL? Just a thought.

AZ Doc - I owe you an apology. I had originally read this topic to be similar to 2019 RB's and expected it to be about the players. I really would like to see more about the players we will have and less about the adequacy/inadequacy of our coaches. But this was more in my mind than in reality so I do believe a public apology is in order.

BTW - I remain quite skeptical of the job that was done by our DC, but remain hopeful for 2019. You are what your record says you are and our inability to defend in the 4th qtr like we did last year needs to be taken care of.

I would also like to apologize for apparently turning this thread into a disaster. I understand everyone's stance on this...I think that he is x's and o's better than the last guy. I also think that overall the defensive players weren't what we'd hoped for, which would hinder even the best DC. I will also say that it should be better next season based on personnel, and I'm OK with some giving a slight pass as the season overall wasn't the greatest on record. No matter if the offense doesn't score or not, you cannot give up all those points in a half against Davis. I agree that BH will replace him as soon as he finds someone.
Now, back to the premise of the OP...
I think the defense will be better overall than this last season as there will be a bit more depth in general, although some positions still need a bit of work. I think having a more difficult schedule will perhaps statistically not be better, but will be happier against teams not named Oregon or EWOO (or undsu playoffs baby). LB is solid. CB and Safety are better with the brothers dropping down from San Jose State. Need a bit more beef up front, even if Esa moves back over. Still wouldn't hurt my feelings if another CB dropped down as well as DT. I think the stud Freshman will play a lot at CB.

bgbigdog said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Stop...please...no more facts...

So perhaps both coordinator positions should be under the microscope.

grizindabox said:
indian-outlaw said:
grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:

Once again, what about his background makes you believe that he is "pretty good"?
His experience and track record, he did fine last year.

Back