• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is SUU leaving the Big Sky for the WAC?

CDAGRIZ said:
dancingNMSUaggie said:
Montana fans acting like the Big Sky is superior to the WAC hilarious. The WAC teams in Olympic sports overall are better than the Big Sky. NMSU would destroy Montana or Weber or whatever school wins the Big Sky in basketball. Our horrific football program would smoke Montana. I gotta give you guys credit filling a stadium with 25000 fans to beat up on D2 football schools. Too bad your administration can’t grow a pair and move up to FBS football.

Do you get a lot of Montana fans posting on the big NM State message board? You will never convince me that NM State is a real place. Nobody has ever seen it. Most scholars contend that it’s a collection of ideas that are sold online for profit. You can’t just waltz in here like your name is Zeb Noland and try to convince me otherwise.

Now CDA, you know this renob is not smart enough to make sense of anything you said. Maybe if he went to real university or lived in a real state, he’d probably understand but he doesn't and he can’t.

9 football playing schools and 10 total is the best scenario. Gives everyone 4 home and 4 road games while playing everyone every year. But need an even number for Olympic sports (basketball) scheduling. An odd number of teams makes scheduling a nightmare for those sports. Let the WAC take 4 teams. But someone from the Sky should be on the horn looking for that 10th team. UVU is probably the best option.

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports/college/2020/10/02/suu-has-not-received-official-offer-join-wac/3595209001/

If the WAC were to create a new football league, however, it would meet at least one of the criteria cited by SUU leadership as a requisite for changing conferences.

"Any new conference would also need to sponsor all sports we currently field in the Big Sky Conference, including Division I football," Wyatt said in a statement.

This also seems to suggest that the WAC is actively working to invite enough football playing schools to form a football conference. I believe the minimum needed is six? They currently have just two FCS, one FBS.

alabamagrizzly said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Do you get a lot of Montana fans posting on the big NM State message board? You will never convince me that NM State is a real place. Nobody has ever seen it. Most scholars contend that it’s a collection of ideas that are sold online for profit. You can’t just waltz in here like your name is Zeb Noland and try to convince me otherwise.

Now CDA, you know this renob is not smart enough to make sense of anything you said. Maybe if he went to real university or lived in a real state, he’d probably understand but he doesn't and he can’t.

It's true. Think about Breaking Bad. It's pretty well-known that it's a FICTIONAL crime-drama, and it's the only thing that has ever been filmed in the FICTIONAL "State" of New Mexico a.k.a. Warner Bros. lot in Burbank. This guy acting like some made up guy named Zeb Noland doesn't exactly help his case.

SWeberCat02 said:
9 football playing schools and 10 total is the best scenario. Gives everyone 4 home and 4 road games while playing everyone every year. But need an even number for Olympic sports (basketball) scheduling. An odd number of teams makes scheduling a nightmare for those sports. Let the WAC take 4 teams. But someone from the Sky should be on the horn looking for that 10th team. UVU is probably the best option.
Why would UVU be a good option?

Spanky2 said:
SWeberCat02 said:
Why would UVU be a good option?

I said best option. It's within the geographic footprint, good facilities, financially sound, located in a large market, large enrollment. Who else within the footprint of the Big Sky that doesn't play football would you prefer? Denver, Seattle, Grand Canyon? Needs to be someone that would actually consider joining the conference. And let's be honest, basketball in the Big Sky isn't very attractive to most and wouldn't be an upgrade. The conference wouldn't have the privilege of being picky.

SWeberCat02 said:
https://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports/college/2020/10/02/suu-has-not-received-official-offer-join-wac/3595209001/

If the WAC were to create a new football league, however, it would meet at least one of the criteria cited by SUU leadership as a requisite for changing conferences.

"Any new conference would also need to sponsor all sports we currently field in the Big Sky Conference, including Division I football," Wyatt said in a statement.

This also seems to suggest that the WAC is actively working to invite enough football playing schools to form a football conference. I believe the minimum needed is six? They currently have just two FCS, one FBS.

It's a stretch, but there are reasonable rumors that could get the WAC to seven FB members within two years. Some are more likely than others, but none of the rumors are completely insane.

1. Tarleton State - existing WAC FB school
2. Dixie State - existing WAC FB school
3. UTRGV - existing WAC school; has studied adding FB recently
4. GCU - existing WAC school; has talked about adding FB and likely has the money for it
5. WTAMU - DII with FB that has made noises recently about moving to DI
6. SUU - current topic of conversation; 50mi from Dixie St
7. NMSU - could eventually drop to FCS

The NMSU rumor is the least likely of the group, but even that one isn't completely outrageous.

I'm not saying it's likely(too many moving parts), but it is something to think about.

Hammersmith said:
7. NMSU - could eventually drop to FCS

The NMSU rumor is the least likely of the group, but even that one isn't completely outrageous.

I'm not saying it's likely (too many moving parts), but it is something to think about.
Got my Ph.D. from NMSU, so we kinda keep track there. The vehement fan reaction against dropping back to FCS is unreal. I swear, some of them would rather drop football altogether than suffer the "humiliation" of "demoting" the program to FCS.

Actually, NMSU is about basketball, with FB as a sentimental afterthought. (FWIW: We were there when Lou Henson had his first go-round there -- think Slammin' Sam Lacey, Jimmie Collins, and Charlie Chris -- and took them to the Final Four.)

But the reality is that, as a conference, the WAC is almost total crap in BBall. Last season the WAC was ranked #27 on RPI strength. The Big Sky was #18. Without NMSU, they would be far worse.

What about the two Washington schools? Eastern's finances are in total shambles (from what I've read) and Central Washington is in decent shape. But, take what you will from governmental accounting.

IdaGriz01 said:
Got my Ph.D. from NMSU, so we kinda keep track there. The vehement fan reaction against dropping back to FCS is unreal. I swear, some of them would rather drop football altogether than suffer the "humiliation" of "demoting" the program to FCS.

That's why I think it's the least likely of the five possible moves. From a purely dispassionate standpoint, NMSU dropping down makes some sense, but college sports fans are anything but dispassionate. I'm not familiar enough with the NMSU leadership to know if they have the willpower to make a highly unpopular decision like this even if they think it's in the best interests of the school. Look at what happened at Idaho, for cripes sake.

Hammersmith said:
IdaGriz01 said:

That's why I think it's the least likely of the five possible moves. From a purely dispassionate standpoint, NMSU dropping down makes some sense, but college sports fans are anything but dispassionate. I'm not familiar enough with the NMSU leadership to know if they have the willpower to make a highly unpopular decision like this even if they think it's in the best interests of the school. Look at what happened at Idaho, for cripes sake.

Both NMSU and UNM should drop down to FCS but they probably will never consider it. Their attendance Is beyond pathetic for the FBS, but I don't blame the fans. Who would want to come watch perennially losing teams? The Albuquerque metro area has almost a million people and UNM only averaged around 10,000 fans per game last year.

4hlodf.jpg

After EWU hiring the Pictor group who after six years and multiple contracts has yet to leave school without major cuts, I would be more worried about EWU leaving the Big Sky than the conference being raided by someone else

In addition to Southern Utah, it's being reported that the WAC is pursuing Stephen F Austin, Lamar, Sam Houston St, and Abilene Christian.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
SWeberCat02 said:
In addition to Southern Utah, it's being reported that the WAC is pursuing Stephen F Austin, Lamar, Sam Houston St, and Abilene Christian.

I've "heard" that rumor; what is your source?

https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/status/1319385783082668034?s=19

https://twitter.com/WACHoopsDigest/status/1318620423899078657?s=19

SWeberCat02 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
I've "heard" that rumor; what is your source?

Thanks. I'm sitting here flipping through games on television today watching the Coastal Carolina-Georgia Southern game and just got off the phone with a kid who played in Statesboro about the time the WAC got too big to effectively manage anything. Amazing how all of the Group of 5 conferences keep restructuring. A lot of folks my age feel the WAC could easily become the same mid-major basketball power and provide good football as the Missouri Valley. I suppose patience is key now to see how many small schools continue playing football after all of this. Wish the Nevada-Wyoming game would be shown tonight...

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
SWeberCat02 said:

Thanks. I'm sitting here flipping through games on television today watching the Coastal Carolina-Georgia Southern game and just got off the phone with a kid who played in Statesboro about the time the WAC got too big to effectively manage anything. Amazing how all of the Group of 5 conferences keep restructuring. A lot of folks my age feel the WAC could easily become the same mid-major basketball power and provide good football as the Missouri Valley. I suppose patience is key now to see how many small schools continue playing football after all of this. Wish the Nevada-Wyoming game would be shown tonight...
I got the Wyoming-Nevada game on CBSSN, followed by the UNLV-San Diego St game.

Latest posts

Back