• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Griz

No partials in mens or womens basketball, but they are permitted in football for FCS but not for the big guys in FBS (I think).

717s7e said:
No partials in mens or womens basketball, but they are permitted in football for FCS but not for the big guys in FBS (I think).

Correct. And I think the FBSers now have an element of 4 years or something built in.

717s7e said:

Found this, should help answer your question

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.sportsengine.com/article/are-athletic-scholarships-guaranteed-4-years&ved=2ahUKEwjmw4eByPfoAhVRVc0KHSdvBBsQFjACegQIDBAM&usg=AOvVaw1Hu_plvHufwOYMo_6HjyG3&cshid=1587404966897

Fascinating discussion of NCAA transfer bylaws, but can we actually discuss the player at hand?

Parker to me seems to be a fairly major pickup (he had significant D1 interest outside of the Big Sky, including Oregon State and Michigan).

gotgame75 said:
Fascinating discussion of NCAA transfer bylaws, but can we actually discuss the player at hand?

Parker to me seems to be a fairly major pickup (he had significant D1 interest outside of the Big Sky, including Oregon State and Michigan).

From Evan Daniels on Twitter:

Sacred Heart transfer Cameron Parker has heard from South Florida, Oregon State, Temple, St. Bonaventure and 20+ others, he tells @247Sports. Averaged 9.9 PPG and 7.8 APG.

https://twitter.com/montanagrizbb/status/1252711510272438272?s=21

It’s official. Have they announced Satterwhite too?

dayday said:
https://twitter.com/montanagrizbb/status/1252711510272438272?s=21

It’s official. Have they announced Satterwhite too?

I thought they did but looked back on social media and haven’t seen anything official like they did with Cameron. Maybe some transfer paperwork holding it up. I saw a number of other stories and articles of him coming to the Griz and his interviews stating so as well.

UMFan12 said:
https://mobile.twitter.com/CameronParker23/status/1251669781205282817
Avg 10 pts 8 ast and holds NCAA record for assists in a game with 24. Likely to sit 1 play 2. GREAT get for TDC’s system.

He averaged 8 assists, but also averaged over 4 turn-overs/game. His 24 assist/0 Pt game came against a terrible (5-22 record) D3 team. In conference play he had 28 assists and 27 turnovers, which is a terrible ratio, so I am not as impressed with that 24 assist game as most of you.

Zirg said:
UMFan12 said:
Avg 10 pts 8 ast and holds NCAA record for assists in a game with 24. Likely to sit 1 play 2. GREAT get for TDC’s system.

He averaged 8 assists, but also averaged over 4 turn-overs/game. His 24 assist/0 Pt game came against a terrible (5-22 record) D3 team. In conference play he had 28 assists and 27 turnovers, which is a terrible ratio, so I am not as impressed with that 24 assist game as most of you.

Just a guess on my part, as to why Travis brought him here, and what he likes about him.
Willing passers are difficult to come by. So he has the mentality to be a floor leader. The turnovers are likely from a lack of discipline, and/or teammates not ready for the ball. I am thinking, DeCuire will instill the needed discipline to decrease his turnover numbers. IF DeCuire can get the kid down to 1 to 2 turnovers per game, and 5+ assists per game, that will make for a solid PG. Maybe the hope is, his SR year, he can be 7+ assists per game PG, and less than 2 turnovers per game.

Look how much DeCuire has calmed Timmy Falls, on both ends of the court, and the low turnover numbers of past GRIZ guards. DeCuire just may be just what the DR ordered for Parker. If I were a Div 1 talent guard, I absolutely would love to be coached by DeCuire.

Also, it never hurts to have as much competition as possible for minutes. Parker's addition will certainly force Falls, Vazquez, and Gaskin to pick up their games. I like having 4 potential ball distributors. If/When a PG goes down to injury, gets in foul trouble, etc, the depth will permit the team to overcome diversity easier and better. Also, the likes of Steadman, Gaskin, Carter Hollinger, Satterwhite, and Owens have some great scoring potential. It will be nice to have the distributors to get scorers more consistent open scoring opportunities. I hope Parker will be eligible to play this season.

I am looking forward to watching all our guards do a little bit of everything this season, especially take it to new levels in ball distribution.

Zirg said:
UMFan12 said:

Clearly you're not aware of this, but a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio isn't a bad number. It's fairly solid. 3:1 is elite territory.

casewinter13 said:
Zirg said:

Clearly you're not aware of this, but a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio isn't a bad number. It's fairly solid. 3:1 is elite territory.

Well in conference its closer to 1:1 but whatever, I think the point was more that 4 TO/game is a kinda big number...if you coughing it up 4 times a game that's a bit high even if your getting 12 assists. Creating assists isn't necessarily connected to turnovers, he can be a good distributor, but also have a turnover problem if he is getting his pocket picked a lot or losing the ball when driving or getting caught in traps to much.

CleanHOUSE said:
casewinter13 said:

Well in conference its closer to 1:1 but whatever, I think the point was more that 4 TO/game is a kinda big number...if you coughing it up 4 times a game that's a bit high even if your getting 12 assists. Creating assists isn't necessarily connected to turnovers, he can be a good distributor, but also have a turnover problem if he is getting his pocket picked a lot or losing the ball when driving or getting caught in traps to much.

Zirg went out of his way to research then only cherrypicked numbers to make a negative point. He only played 4 full conference games this year before his injury. Zirg ignored his 50 game game career where his A/TO ratio was over 1.75 (freshman and sophomore years) on 7.2apg. For reference junior Timmy Falls was the leader this year with a A/TO of 1.65 on 2.8apg. Senior Sayeed Pridgett led the team in apg with 3.9 on 3.3 TO per game (1.2 A/TO).

Point Guards generally get wiser as they older. This coupled with what will no doubt be a positive impact from TDC leads me to believe we have improved at that position.

GrizBall said:
CleanHOUSE said:

Zirg went out of his way to research then only cherrypicked numbers to make a negative point. He only played 4 full conference games this year before his injury. Zirg ignored his 50 game game career where his A/TO ratio was over 1.75 (freshman and sophomore years) on 7.2apg. For reference junior Timmy Falls was the leader this year with a A/TO of 1.65 on 2.8apg. Senior Sayeed Pridgett led the team in apg with 3.9 on 3.3 TO per game (1.2 A/TO).

Point Guards generally get wiser as they older. This coupled with what will no doubt be a positive impact from TDC leads me to believe we have improved at that position.

Very well put together data. I agree with you assertion. I think he is a positive addition, we have a lot of intriguing pieces for next year. I hope they will all stay together unlike this year which featured a lot of guys coming and going. I wonder if all 4 Frosh recruits will have to red shirt.

CleanHOUSE said:
GrizBall said:

Very well put together data. I agree with you assertion. I think he is a positive addition, we have a lot of intriguing pieces for next year. I hope they will all stay together unlike this year which featured a lot of guys coming and going. I wonder if all 4 Frosh recruits will have to red shirt.
Agreed, thanks GrizBall. I think all of the frosh can contribute, much like this year's group did. The two Australian kids in particular given that they've been playing a higher level of competition already. The only one I wonder about, because he's coming off an injury is Beasley...

GrizBall said:
CleanHOUSE said:

Bingo!

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
CleanHOUSE said:
Agreed, thanks GrizBall. I think all of the frosh can contribute, much like this year's group did. The two Australian kids in particular given that they've been playing a higher level of competition already. The only one I wonder about, because he's coming off an injury is Beasley...

The guys Coach has brought in the last couple years have all played in top tier leagues at the highest levels in high school, as well as in their travel team experiences which are also against some of the best in their age group. He is amassing more talent every year, one of these years I think we see a collective step up to the next level. Next season may be too soon with another large new group, but I'm hoping as I get longer in the tooth every year. :lol:

GrizBall said:
CleanHOUSE said:

You are right. I focused on some less flattering stats, but pointing out one 24-assist game vs a D3 team is cherry-picking numbers too. I just wanted to provide some levity.

I generally agree with your assertions, and he may be a good addition, but not because he had one gaudy assist game versus Pine Manor. The deeper stats that you and I uncovered are far more telling.

Zirg said:
GrizBall said:

You are right. I focused on some less flattering stats, but pointing out one 24-assist game vs a D3 team is cherry-picking numbers too. I just wanted to provide some levity.

I generally agree with your assertions, and he may be a good addition, but not because he had one gaudy assist game versus Pine Manor. The deeper stats that you and I uncovered are far more telling.

Agree with Pirg 100% that stats can be used to argue both sides of many points and it often takes more context.

Also, I believe Casewinter13 said a 2.0 A/TO is solid and a 3.0 is elite. I agree with this.

Forgive me for any faulty research as I am doing this by eye late at night on an iPhone on ESPN’s site but going back from the 2010-2011 season it appears only one Montana player has had a better than a 2.0 A/TO ratio and that was Ahmaad Rorie who did it twice. His senior year 4.1/1.5 (2.73 A/TO) and sophomore year 3.1/1.5 (2.1 A/TO).

So the question is what is acceptable? Is a 6/3 worse than a 2/1 because of the number of TOs despite both equalling 2.0? Would you only want your point guard averaging 2.0apg? Again it goes to the type of TO, but this year a 6/3 in the Big Sky would have been 2nd in assists and 3rd in A/TO. Are there people that think that this is bad? Radebaugh was 6.5/2.5 (2.6 A/TO) to lead the Big Sky in both assists and A/TO and I think those numbers are pretty outstanding.

Back