• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Griz

CleanHOUSE said:
GrizBall said:
Zirg went out of his way to research then only cherrypicked numbers to make a negative point. He only played 4 full conference games this year before his injury. Zirg ignored his 50 game game career where his A/TO ratio was over 1.75 (freshman and sophomore years) on 7.2apg. For reference junior Timmy Falls was the leader this year with a A/TO of 1.65 on 2.8apg. Senior Sayeed Pridgett led the team in apg with 3.9 on 3.3 TO per game (1.2 A/TO).

Point Guards generally get wiser as they older. This coupled with what will no doubt be a positive impact from TDC leads me to believe we have improved at that position.

Very well put together data. I agree with you assertion. I think he is a positive addition, we have a lot of intriguing pieces for next year. I hope they will all stay together unlike this year which featured a lot of guys coming and going. I wonder if all 4 Frosh recruits will have to red shirt.

If you just look at mpg the last couple of years, TDC plays 8 players 10mpg or more. Although things can change, based on that it would seem to make it worthwhile for the Frosh, they would have to be at a minimum the 9th or 10th player in the rotation going into the first game. My personal opinion is that I hate to see Frosh burn a year playing mop-up minutes.

Conversely, it seems apparent that the NCAA will abolish the sit-out rule for all transfers either this year or next. It will be fascinating to watch roster management. You can either love or hate the Transfer Portal, but it is clear to me that teams that use it successfully will be good and the other teams not-so-much.

casewinter13 said:
Zirg said:
He averaged 8 assists, but also averaged over 4 turn-overs/game. His 24 assist/0 Pt game came against a terrible (5-22 record) D3 team. In conference play he had 28 assists and 27 turnovers, which is a terrible ratio, so I am not as impressed with that 24 assist game as most of you.

Clearly you're not aware of this, but a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio isn't a bad number. It's fairly solid. 3:1 is elite territory.

Decided to look this up. In D1 for this year: 1 player over 4 a/to, 9 players over 3 a/to and 75 and ties over 2 a/to. Out of roughly 5000 players on D1 rosters.
I think you also have to factor in an a facilitator type player versus a combo facilitator/scorer type player. A pass first point is not going to have as many TO's as a guy like Pridgett who often needed to attempt to score against double or even triple teams which obviously is going to result in more TO's. He was our LeBron with the ball in his hands a lot, this is going to result in TO's no matter how skilled the player.

Hoops watcher said:
casewinter13 said:
Clearly you're not aware of this, but a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio isn't a bad number. It's fairly solid. 3:1 is elite territory.

Decided to look this up. In D1 for this year: 1 player over 4 a/to, 9 players over 3 a/to and 75 and ties over 2 a/to. Out of roughly 5000 players on D1 rosters.
I think you also have to factor in an a facilitator type player versus a combo facilitator/scorer type player. A pass first point is not going to have as many TO's as a guy like Pridgett who often needed to attempt to score against double or even triple teams which obviously is going to result in more TO's. He was our LeBron with the ball in his hands a lot, this is going to result in TO's no matter how skilled the player.

That is all very interesting information. It would be interesting to know if there was a minimum amount of assists you needed to qualify for the list. Here are my thoughts/questions:

1. As with all stats, A/TO is important, but can also be deceiving. A 1.5/0.5 is a 3.0, but it is unlikely you are moving the needle much from a distribution standpoint especially if you are a guard.

2. Is it a TO thing or an assist thing? Are 5 TOs a game too much even if you at 10apg? The thing about assists is that it requires a made basket. Great passes that result in FTs, missed shots, blocked shots and mishandled passes for example are not accounted for. If you are averaging 10apg you are likely creating many more good shots than that that go unaccounted for statistically. Also, TOs that result in “pick 6’s” have to be worse than deadball TOs

3. Parker (which is what I believe started this whole conversation) averaged 7.8apg which would have led the Big Sky and set a Montana season record. He also averaged 4.4TOs which also would have led the Big Sky and also likely would have set a Montana record. His A/TO ratio of 1.75 would have been 6th in the Big Sky. What’s the happy medium?

4. TOs are also a function of style of play. The more points you score, the more possessions you are likely to have which probably leads to more TOs (and assists). Comparing the TOs of a team or player that scores in the low 60’s to a team or player that scores in the 80’s probably wouldn’t yield many meaningful results.

5. It would be interesting to see a someone who knows basketball analytics to break it down. But I can’t believe it comes down strictly to A/TO. Although A/TO does seems to be a quick and easy way to compare (and one I frequently quote).

GrizBall said:
Hoops watcher said:

That is all very interesting information. It would be interesting to know if there was a minimum amount of assists you needed to qualify for the list. Here are my thoughts/questions:

1. As with all stats, A/TO is important, but can also be deceiving. A 1.5/0.5 is a 3.0, but it is unlikely you are moving the needle much from a distribution standpoint especially if you are a guard.

2. Is it a TO thing or an assist thing? Are 5 TOs a game too much even if you at 10apg? The thing about assists is that it requires a made basket. Great passes that result in FTs, missed shots, blocked shots and mishandled passes for example are not accounted for. If you are averaging 10apg you are likely creating many more good shots than that that go unaccounted for statistically. Also, TOs that result in “pick 6’s” have to be worse than deadball TOs

3. Parker (which is what I believe started this whole conversation) averaged 7.8apg which would have led the Big Sky and set a Montana season record. He also averaged 4.4TOs which also would have led the Big Sky and also likely would have set a Montana record. His A/TO ratio of 1.75 would have been 6th in the Big Sky. What’s the happy medium?

4. TOs are also a function of style of play. The more points you score, the more possessions you are likely to have which probably leads to more TOs (and assists). Comparing the TOs of a team or player that scores in the low 60’s to a team or player that scores in the 80’s probably wouldn’t yield many meaningful results.

5. It would be interesting to see a someone who knows basketball analytics to break it down. But I can’t believe it comes down strictly to A/TO. Although A/TO does seems to be a quick and easy way to compare (and one I frequently quote).

Agree completely. If the college game had the same stat tracking system as the NBA we'd be able to compare in more depth. It also doesn't tell you if it was an unforced error (the "bad" TO vs a stellar defensive play). It also can't discern the risk/reward of an attempted offensive play that would result in a high percentage shot attempt but results In a TO. Ultimately the Coach makes that call. And we get to argue about it on eGriz. :lol:

A few thoughts.

Where are TO's coming from? Bad passes, poor dribbling, charges, press?

If mainly a point guard, I think 3 TO's is too much almost no matter what. Certainly 4.4. For a very good player.

A scorer/driver should be allowed more TO's.

Pridgett had such a unique role, that I thought his high TO's were okay. I also think he would have had fewer TO's had he been able to play this role for more than off and on for a year. He wasn't playing point guard; something else. And he had to adapt his game/style for each game, and during each game. I thought it was almost remarkable what he did in that regard.

PlayerRep said:
A few thoughts.

Where are TO's coming from? Bad passes, poor dribbling, charges, press?

If mainly a point guard, I think 3 TO's is too much almost no matter what. Certainly 4.4. For a very good player.

A scorer/driver should be allowed more TO's.

Pridgett had such a unique role, that I thought his high TO's were okay. I also think he would have had fewer TO's had he been able to play this role for more than off and on for a year. He wasn't playing point guard; something else. And he had to adapt his game/style for each game, and during each game. I thought it was almost remarkable what he did in that regard.

That's kind of our sub discussion here. The numbers do mean different things for different types of players or should if one digs a little deeper. A small forward like Pridgett doesn't normally handle the ball as much as he did and he drew multiple defenders a lot. So I'd agree with you a few more TO's will happen in this scenario and I like you think it's acceptable. And a guy like Vasquez who was more of an initiator of the O rather than a key scorer should have a lower TO rate. He got a lot better as the year went on. I came across Woods from PSU's numbers today and he had a lot of assists per game, also a low A/TO rate, well under 2, but he also was their primary scorer and ball handler while attacking the rim a ton so I doubt his coach was too concerned about his high TO numbers. Of course the unforced or brain fart type of TO by any player are most likely a major factor in turning coaches' hair grey no matter the type of offense they run.

Also agree Pridgett had to do a lot with such a young team. He went from being the third option last year to the main option this year and then when D's keyed on him he had to adjust and set up his teammates to stymie the double and triple teams. With the exception of a couple games he got the better of things. He had an all time (Griz wise) terrific year IMO and his game got better throughout the season.

GrizBall said:
CleanHOUSE said:
Very well put together data. I agree with you assertion. I think he is a positive addition, we have a lot of intriguing pieces for next year. I hope they will all stay together unlike this year which featured a lot of guys coming and going. I wonder if all 4 Frosh recruits will have to red shirt.

If you just look at mpg the last couple of years, TDC plays 8 players 10mpg or more. Although things can change, based on that it would seem to make it worthwhile for the Frosh, they would have to be at a minimum the 9th or 10th player in the rotation going into the first game. My personal opinion is that I hate to see Frosh burn a year playing mop-up minutes.

Conversely, it seems apparent that the NCAA will abolish the sit-out rule for all transfers either this year or next. It will be fascinating to watch roster management. You can either love or hate the Transfer Portal, but it is clear to me that teams that use it successfully will be good and the other teams not-so-much.

We're not redshirting 4 freshman. We're not redshirting 3 freshman. We're probably not even redshirting 2 if all 4 of them are healthy at the start of the season.

DPGriz said:
GrizBall said:

We're not redshirting 4 freshman. We're not redshirting 3 freshman. We're probably not even redshirting 2 if all 4 of them are healthy at the start of the season.

Seems like redshirting in hoops is most useful in the case of raw bigs, injury, or perhaps a student with academic needs. Since the players Travis has recruited have been pretty successful in the classroom and our new bigs are already experienced that logically leaves Beasley's injury progress as the biggest question on whether someone will redshirt. So I'd have to agree with you.

Hoops watcher said:
DPGriz said:

Seems like redshirting in hoops is most useful in the case of raw bigs, injury, or perhaps a student with academic needs. Since the players Travis has recruited have been pretty successful in the classroom and our new bigs are already experienced that logically leaves Beasley's injury progress as the biggest question on whether someone will redshirt. So I'd have to agree with you.

Yup, and with the proliferation of transfers it doesn't make a ton of sense to sit a healthy, eligible scholarship player in the hopes you'll have him for a 5th year.

Players want to play and it generally seems to keep players happier to get some mop up or desperation minutes as a frosh. For the team and coaches is always better to have more bodies and the chance to evaluate and develop the players against game competition is valuable. Ideally more guys would sit out but in the current environment it doesn't make sense to sit many guys.

DPGriz said:
Hoops watcher said:

Yup, and with the proliferation of transfers it doesn't make a ton of sense to sit a healthy, eligible scholarship player in the hopes you'll have him for a 5th year.

Players want to play and it generally seems to keep players happier to get some mop up or desperation minutes as a frosh. For the team and coaches is always better to have more bodies and the chance to evaluate and develop the players against game competition is valuable. Ideally more guys would sit out but in the current environment it doesn't make sense to sit many guys.

My take is almost exactly yours. Patience is not real prevalent in these social media times.

Seems to me like rule makers (NCAA or otherwise) almost never anticipate the unintended consequences of their rules and laws. And those the rules are intended for adapt if they don't like how they work. Funny that :lol: .

GrizBall said:
Hoops watcher said:

Just for the record, after subtracting the Pine Manor game, Parker's assist avg drops from 7.8 to to 6.88 (which would still lead the Big Sky) and A/TO ratio drops from 1.76 to 1.63. I found at least 9 Big Sky starting guards with a better ratio than 1.76 (Radebaugh, Frey, Magnuson, Shelton, Fowler, Hauser, Perry, Rouse, Johnson). The more I research the more the 4.4 TO/game is alarming. He had a 1 assist, 8 turnover game vs Merrimack (not mentioned in his press release). Yikes!

Zirg said:
GrizBall said:

Just for the record, after subtracting the Pine Manor game, Parker's assist avg drops from 7.8 to to 6.88 (which would still lead the Big Sky) and A/TO ratio drops from 1.76 to 1.63. I found at least 9 Big Sky starting guards with a better ratio than 1.76 (Radebaugh, Frey, Magnuson, Shelton, Fowler, Hauser, Perry, Rouse, Johnson). The more I research the more the 4.4 TO/game is alarming. He had a 1 assist, 8 turnover game vs Merrimack (not mentioned in his press release). Yikes!

I can assure you without any doubt that Travis does not share your concerns in the slightest. Travis is heavily invested in Parker to the point he is taking the scholarship of a Griz that played A LOT of minutes last year. That is how highly Travis thinks of Parker. This is exactly why people have been questioning the number of schollies and the roster breakdown. I'm pretty surprised that no one has shared this up to this point. People would be SHOCKED if they had any idea who lost their scholarship. Said player showed a lot of maturity given the situation and is staying with the team. I doubt I would be able to do that same under the circumstances. In any case, its a crystal clear example of how the coaching staff views Parker. And if anyone can evaluate a pass-first PG, it's Decuire.

gotgame75 said:
Zirg said:

I can assure you without any doubt that Travis does not share your concerns in the slightest. Travis is heavily invested in Parker to the point he is taking the scholarship of a Griz that played A LOT of minutes last year. That is how highly Travis thinks of Parker. This is exactly why people have been questioning the number of schollies and the roster breakdown. I'm pretty surprised that no one has shared this up to this point. People would be SHOCKED if they had any idea who lost their scholarship. Said player showed a lot of maturity given the situation and is staying with the team. I doubt I would be able to do that same under the circumstances. In any case, its a crystal clear example of how the coaching staff views Parker. And if anyone can evaluate a pass-first PG, it's Decuire.

Well there's only 3 guards that played minutes on the 19-20 team left, Egun, Vasquez, and Falls and I think we can be pretty sure he didn't cut Falls. It's a long way to the start of the season (maybe even longer than usual) so we'll see if whoever lost their scholly actually stays through next season but that would be a heck of a recruiting job.

There is also the issue of whether Parker will have to sit out next year. If so, maybe it is not a guard who will forgo their scholarship.

GrizWhiz said:
There is also the issue of whether Parker will have to sit out next year. If so, maybe it is not a guard who will forgo their scholarship.

Did you not read the original post? It has already been decided and the player has already been taken off scholarship but is remaining with the team. They also mention they played big minutes and we’d be shocked to hear who it is. Which means it is one of either Falls or Vazquez, and given similarity in play style of Falls and Parker, I’m guessing Falls based off of how high DeCuire is on Vazquez.

gotgame75 said:
Zirg said:

Why the secrecy?

UMFan12 said:
GrizWhiz said:

Did you not read the original post? It has already been decided and the player has already been taken off scholarship but is remaining with the team. They also mention they played big minutes and we’d be shocked to hear who it is. Which means it is one of either Falls or Vazquez, and given similarity in play style of Falls and Parker, I’m guessing Falls based off of how high DeCuire is on Vazquez.

Easy big fellow! I don't think the original post specifically said it was a guard, nor was the original post anything official.

citay said:
gotgame75 said:

Why the secrecy?

It’s not my place to divulge specifics. The reason that this information hasn’t come out to this point is because it’s a highly sensitive situation for the player who lost his schollie. I think I’ve given enough general info for anyone to make a pretty strong educated guess as to who this player is.

Zirg said:
GrizBall said:

It is clear that you don’t think Parker is a good pick-up. That’s fine as people can have different views of players. But your attempt to use stats to justify your opinion doesn’t make sense in many cases.

First, in your “Nine Starting Guard” argument you used four guards that averaged 2.5, 2.5, 1.7 and 1.3 apg. Did you bother to look at the official BSC stat leader board? Do you know why those 4 don’t appear in the BSC Top 10 A/TO despite having better ratios than people in the Top 10? Because they didn’t average enough assists to qualify! Johnson has a 1.85 A/TO ratio on 1.3apg - that’s fantastic! How is that even comparable? If you want to make comparisons with the top 5 A/TO guards on your list, that is more than fair. Bringing in the bottom 4 weakens your argument.

The UM record for most assists in a game is 14 (against Simon Fraser in 1989, which by the way was an NAIA school at the time - quite the irony, huh?) Parker against D-1 teams had assist totals of 16 (would be a UM record) 13 (against Boston College from the ACC) and a few other 12 assist games. He had 213 total assists his freshman year (also would be a UM record). In coming up with your “modified” stats, you stripped the 24 game from him, but counted a full game against him when he was hurt 5 minutes into it. Even without the 24 game, if you don’t count the 5 minute game he averaged 7.18apg (also would be a UM record).

In addition, if you don’t count the 5 minute game against him, he averaged 5.1 Rebounds per game which would have been 2nd on this year’s UM team.

And worst of all, questioning why his worst game wasn’t in the press release seems a little petty.

Who knows how it will turn out? Are his turnovers concerning? Yes. In the end I look at his overall body of work, the fact he is now an upperclassman and the one of the best point guards in UM history wanted him on the team. That’s good enough for me . . . For now.

Latest posts

Back