• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Griz

GrizBall said:
Zirg said:
Just for the record, after subtracting the Pine Manor game, Parker's assist avg drops from 7.8 to to 6.88 (which would still lead the Big Sky) and A/TO ratio drops from 1.76 to 1.63. I found at least 9 Big Sky starting guards with a better ratio than 1.76 (Radebaugh, Frey, Magnuson, Shelton, Fowler, Hauser, Perry, Rouse, Johnson). The more I research the more the 4.4 TO/game is alarming. He had a 1 assist, 8 turnover game vs Merrimack (not mentioned in his press release). Yikes!

It is clear that you don’t think Parker is a good pick-up. That’s fine as people can have different views of players. But your attempt to use stats to justify your opinion doesn’t make sense in many cases.

First, in your “Nine Starting Guard” argument you used four guards that averaged 2.5, 2.5, 1.7 and 1.3 apg. Did you bother to look at the official BSC stat leader board? Do you know why those 4 don’t appear in the BSC Top 10 A/TO despite having better ratios than people in the Top 10? Because they didn’t average enough assists to qualify! Johnson has a 1.85 A/TO ratio on 1.3apg - that’s fantastic! How is that even comparable? If you want to make comparisons with the top 5 A/TO guards on your list, that is more than fair. Bringing in the bottom 4 weakens your argument.

The UM record for most assists in a game is 14 (against Simon Fraser in 1989, which by the way was an NAIA school at the time - quite the irony, huh?) Parker against D-1 teams had assist totals of 16 (would be a UM record) 13 (against Boston College from the ACC) and a few other 12 assist games. He had 213 total assists his freshman year (also would be a UM record). In coming up with your “modified” stats, you stripped the 24 game from him, but counted a full game against him when he was hurt 5 minutes into it. Even without the 24 game, if you don’t count the 5 minute game he averaged 7.18apg (also would be a UM record).

In addition, if you don’t count the 5 minute game against him, he averaged 5.1 Rebounds per game which would have been 2nd on this year’s UM team.

And worst of all, questioning why his worst game wasn’t in the press release seems a little petty.

Who knows how it will turn out? Are his turnovers concerning? Yes. In the end I look at his overall body of work, the fact he is now an upperclassman and the one of the best point guards in UM history wanted him on the team. That’s good enough for me . . . For now.

Thanks for the stats and analysis. Very interesting. Your work is appreciated. I'm excited for Parker.

GrizBall said:
Zirg said:
Just for the record, after subtracting the Pine Manor game, Parker's assist avg drops from 7.8 to to 6.88 (which would still lead the Big Sky) and A/TO ratio drops from 1.76 to 1.63. I found at least 9 Big Sky starting guards with a better ratio than 1.76 (Radebaugh, Frey, Magnuson, Shelton, Fowler, Hauser, Perry, Rouse, Johnson). The more I research the more the 4.4 TO/game is alarming. He had a 1 assist, 8 turnover game vs Merrimack (not mentioned in his press release). Yikes!

It is clear that you don’t think Parker is a good pick-up. That’s fine as people can have different views of players. But your attempt to use stats to justify your opinion doesn’t make sense in many cases.

First, in your “Nine Starting Guard” argument you used four guards that averaged 2.5, 2.5, 1.7 and 1.3 apg. Did you bother to look at the official BSC stat leader board? Do you know why those 4 don’t appear in the BSC Top 10 A/TO despite having better ratios than people in the Top 10? Because they didn’t average enough assists to qualify! Johnson has a 1.85 A/TO ratio on 1.3apg - that’s fantastic! How is that even comparable? If you want to make comparisons with the top 5 A/TO guards on your list, that is more than fair. Bringing in the bottom 4 weakens your argument.

The UM record for most assists in a game is 14 (against Simon Fraser in 1989, which by the way was an NAIA school at the time - quite the irony, huh?) Parker against D-1 teams had assist totals of 16 (would be a UM record) 13 (against Boston College from the ACC) and a few other 12 assist games. He had 213 total assists his freshman year (also would be a UM record). In coming up with your “modified” stats, you stripped the 24 game from him, but counted a full game against him when he was hurt 5 minutes into it. Even without the 24 game, if you don’t count the 5 minute game he averaged 7.18apg (also would be a UM record).

In addition, if you don’t count the 5 minute game against him, he averaged 5.1 Rebounds per game which would have been 2nd on this year’s UM team.

And worst of all, questioning why his worst game wasn’t in the press release seems a little petty.

Who knows how it will turn out? Are his turnovers concerning? Yes. In the end I look at his overall body of work, the fact he is now an upperclassman and the one of the best point guards in UM history wanted him on the team. That’s good enough for me . . . For now.

BOOM. Good take. I'm with you on our Coach knowing a thing or two about point guard play.

DPGriz said:
gotgame75 said:
I can assure you without any doubt that Travis does not share your concerns in the slightest. Travis is heavily invested in Parker to the point he is taking the scholarship of a Griz that played A LOT of minutes last year. That is how highly Travis thinks of Parker. This is exactly why people have been questioning the number of schollies and the roster breakdown. I'm pretty surprised that no one has shared this up to this point. People would be SHOCKED if they had any idea who lost their scholarship. Said player showed a lot of maturity given the situation and is staying with the team. I doubt I would be able to do that same under the circumstances. In any case, its a crystal clear example of how the coaching staff views Parker. And if anyone can evaluate a pass-first PG, it's Decuire.

Well there's only 3 guards that played minutes on the 19-20 team left, Egun, Vasquez, and Falls and I think we can be pretty sure he didn't cut Falls. It's a long way to the start of the season (maybe even longer than usual) so we'll see if whoever lost their scholly actually stays through next season but that would be a heck of a recruiting job.

i'm actually speculating the opposite. That if I were an underclassman and had my schollie cut, I would immediately seek out another school. But that if I were a senior, with so much time invested in the program, I probably would stay on as well.

GrizWhiz said:
There is also the issue of whether Parker will have to sit out next year. If so, maybe it is not a guard who will forgo their scholarship.
I see 17 players on our roster including Peter Jones and Freddy Brown (as nonscholarship athletes); 15 on scholarship according to Verbal Commits. With 13 allowed, that's two players losing scholarships. Do I have that correct?

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
GrizWhiz said:
There is also the issue of whether Parker will have to sit out next year. If so, maybe it is not a guard who will forgo their scholarship.
I see 17 players on our roster including Peter Jones and Freddy Brown (as nonscholarship athletes); 15 on scholarship according to Verbal Commits. With 13 allowed, that's two players losing scholarships. Do I have that correct?
No, as of today, Henderson is not on a basketball scholarship. It has been mentioned he is a good student, could be on an academic scholarship. As for the other one, it’s already been decided who lost it. We have 13 of 13 filled.

UMFan12 said:
Bjorn Bjornstein said:
No, as of today, Henderson is not on a basketball scholarship. It has been mentioned he is a good student, could be on an academic scholarship. As for the other one, it’s already been decided who lost it. We have 13 of 13 filled.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. VC shows Henderson as a scholarship athlete. I guess I missed the post identifying which other player is losing his scholarship? :-|

citay said:
DPGriz said:
Well there's only 3 guards that played minutes on the 19-20 team left, Egun, Vasquez, and Falls and I think we can be pretty sure he didn't cut Falls. It's a long way to the start of the season (maybe even longer than usual) so we'll see if whoever lost their scholly actually stays through next season but that would be a heck of a recruiting job.

i'm actually speculating the opposite. That if I were an underclassman and had my schollie cut, I would immediately seek out another school. But that if I were a senior, with so much time invested in the program, I probably would stay on as well.

I don't think TDC would cut Falls, he was a starter and played crucial minutes on a pair of tourney teams. I also don't think Falls would stay, the message would be pretty clear if the staff took his ride so why spend his last year working his ass of just to ride the bench? A younger player could be convinced that a ride will be made available in the future or he could just be waiting a year for the NCAA to allow a free transfer.

Either way, with 15 players either on scholarship or having previously played major D1 minutes it's inevitable that a guy or two gets unhappy with their role and moves on quickly.

DPGriz said:
citay said:

I don't think TDC would cut Falls, he was a starter and played crucial minutes on a pair of tourney teams. I also don't think Falls would stay, the message would be pretty clear if the staff took his ride so why spend his last year working his ass of just to ride the bench? A younger player could be convinced that a ride will be made available in the future or he could just be waiting a year for the NCAA to allow a free transfer.

Either way, with 15 players either on scholarship or having previously played major D1 minutes it's inevitable that a guy or two gets unhappy with their role and moves on quickly.

I could see it being anyone of the 3.

Interesting comments by Travis on Parker.

“He was a can’t-miss, to be honest with you,” said DeCuire, who still owns Montana's single-season and career assists records that he set in the 1990s. “A young man that distributes the ball the way he does fits our style of play offensively … I don’t know if there was necessarily a high need if you look at our numbers for a point guard per se, but he’s about as pure as they come and hard to find and we just couldn’t pass.”

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/competition-and-continuity-abound-as-montana-again-looks-to-reload-rather-than-rebuild/article_3121920e-f669-57b2-b22a-8ffea31be9fc.html

DPGriz said:
citay said:

“Cutting” is not necessarily the same as “moving a scholarship”.

PlayerRep said:
DPGriz said:

"I don't think TDC would cut Falls' scholarship"

Pretty clear that that is I was saying but as usual you're ready to chime in with pedantic nonsense.

DPGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Pretty clear that that is I was saying but as usual you're ready to chime in with pedantic nonsense.

Hey, why don't you just say what you mean? I'm not a mine reader. This is what you said. You didn't even use the word "scholarship". You obviously don't know the facts, like some people on the board seem to.

"I don't think TDC would cut Falls, he was a starter and played crucial minutes on a pair of tourney teams. I also don't think Falls would stay, the message would be pretty clear"

PlayerRep said:
DPGriz said:

Hey, why don't you just say what you mean? I'm not a mine reader. This is what you said. You didn't even use the word "scholarship". You obviously don't know the facts, like some people on the board seem to.

"I don't think TDC would cut Falls, he was a starter and played crucial minutes on a pair of tourney teams. I also don't think Falls would stay, the message would be pretty clear"

The whole conversation has been about where Parker's scholarship was coming from, so in context it should be pretty easy to understand what "cut" is referring to. I added "scholarship" in my response to show that in context "cut" is a perfectly accurate descriptor of the action being considered.

I never implied to have inside info, I'm clearly speculating based off the previous post so if you (or anyone else) has something to add then I'm all ears/eyes.

DPGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

The whole conversation has been about where Parker's scholarship was coming from, so in context it should be pretty easy to understand what "cut" is referring to. I added "scholarship" in my response to show that in context "cut" is a perfectly accurate descriptor of the action being considered.

I never implied to have inside info, I'm clearly speculating based off the previous post so if you (or anyone else) has something to add then I'm all ears/eyes.
I really don’t get why you don’t see Falls as a possibility. The original post said it was someone who would be a surprise if we found out who it was, and played a lot of minutes. Throw in that the other 2 possibilities in Egun and Vazquez each have big time potential, especially Egun, and the fact that Parker plays the role Falls played for the offense these past few years he is just slightly better at it. I don’t get why you don’t see Falls as a possibility. And before you pull the defense card, we have also added Satterwhite, making Falls an even more likely candidate.

UMFan12 said:
DPGriz said:

I really don’t get why you don’t see Falls as a possibility. The original post said it was someone who would be a surprise if we found out who it was, and played a lot of minutes. Throw in that the other 2 possibilities in Egun and Vazquez each have big time potential, especially Egun, and the fact that Parker plays the role Falls played for the offense these past few years he is just slightly better at it. I don’t get why you don’t see Falls as a possibility. And before you pull the defense card, we have also added Satterwhite, making Falls an even more likely candidate.
Since we're speculating; I also wondered if Mack (given that he's an in-state student) might be a possibility.

UMFan12 said:
DPGriz said:

I would be shocked if it is Falls, especially given the unresolved issue of whether Parker will have to sit out a next season.

UMFan12 said:
DPGriz said:

Parker has to sit out so he and Timmy wouldn't ever be on the floor together so their similarities wouldn't really be a consideration.

I'm guessing he's safe because he had by far the biggest role of any returning player, most minutes, most assists, (essentially) tied for most points, and we all know that TDC loves his defense. I mean anything is possible when you say "people will be SHOCKED" but based on last year's production and minute distribution I'd think DCH and Falls are pretty far above any of the returning players in the pecking order.

DPGriz said:
UMFan12 said:

Parker has to sit out so he and Timmy wouldn't ever be on the floor together so their similarities wouldn't really be a consideration.

I'm guessing he's safe because he had by far the biggest role of any returning player, most minutes, most assists, (essentially) tied for most points, and we all know that TDC loves his defense. I mean anything is possible when you say "people will be SHOCKED" but based on last year's production and minute distribution I'd think DCH and Falls are pretty far above any of the returning players in the pecking order.

Again, what do your points have to do with moving a scholarship to another player?

PlayerRep said:
DPGriz said:

Again, what do your points have to do with moving a scholarship to another player?

Coaches want to keep their best players on the team, one of the surest ways to lose a player is to cut their scholarship, therefore coach does not take key player's scholarship.

Latest posts

Back