• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

This is one of the most talented Griz teams we've had in a while

PeauxRouge said:
BWahlberg said:
1. QB Play - Johnson brings a running aspect that we didn't have as much last year. Brown (if needed) has dramatically improved too.

2. Running game - Knight & Ostmo are back, Harris has added good muscle and brings better durability. Childs has improved as well. We've got a legit stable that brings a respectable rushing attack - and a pass catching attack too.

3. OL attitude - Yes we have 3 new guys starting on the OL. We also have some legit DOLA dudes in Forbes and Mayginnes. I think this OL *could* be an intimidating group.

4. A more versatile WR corps - Roberts is the technician that does everything perfect. Flowers is a threat all over the field, just get him the ball. Simpson a height mis-match. White can play every position at WR and could be that guy who other teams used against us to beat the slot defender. Bergen / Fontes stepping up and ready to contribute.

5. Cole f'n Grossman.

6. Phen as a consultant I'll just bet adds some new looks to this offense.

Yeah, I'll give you the first 3. We had 4 and 5 last year, too. So if we get injured there (or QB) again this year, are we in the same spot we were in last year or are we deep enough to keep rolling? I'm just doing this to throw some water on your smoldering sugar-coating fire.

Haha - that’s fair

I’d just say to 4 and 5, another year of experience will work wonders. We’ll see it on the field

fencer24 said:
"First off, special teams. The ST unit is not loaded with dudes and as we've seen frequently enough, outstanding ST play can flip a game (Griz-cat last year)."
Not sure there isn't a missing word in the "not loaded with dudes" part. Can you help an old guy out?

Yep - my bad. They ARE loaded with dudes haha

I have an extremely good feeling about this team. It's so good that I believe we are now the preseason Champs and have knocked the boobcats off their reigning title. That's how good we are.

I can Read Hauck's Coach speak really well...

He is very happy with this team and expects nothing less than a national championship.

IE when he says
"The whole team has improved" and doesn't bring up anything else. That's Hauck speak for we are ready to kick some ass.
There is a certain bit of cockiness that had his first time around and this is the first August that I see that cockiness again.

It's why the kitty fans hate him and a reason to be excited if you are a Griz fan.

... AND we have a much better placement of our bye week, after game 5. Last year I belive it was after game 2 or 3.

BWahlberg said:
PeauxRouge said:
Yeah, I'll give you the first 3. We had 4 and 5 last year, too. So if we get injured there (or QB) again this year, are we in the same spot we were in last year or are we deep enough to keep rolling? I'm just doing this to throw some water on your smoldering sugar-coating fire.

Haha - that’s fair

I’d just say to 4 and 5, another year of experience will work wonders. We’ll see it on the field

Oh, I'm with you. I'm excited, too.

mthoopsfan said:
grizaremoregooder said:
The Grizzlies had a game manager last season at quarterback and were snake bit at running back. Lucas Johnson was the starting quarterback at SDSU when they beat Utah ( they damn near won the Rose Bowl) and he started their bowl game victory. He is a 7 year Senior that looks like he should be playing quarterback for Eastern Washington. Marcus Knight was a 2nd team all American a couple years back who broke Chase Reynold's single season touchdown mark. Nick Ostmo also returns to the backfield, no slouch. The offense is going to move the ball and score points. You add that defense to an offense with an upgraded quarterback and running back.....scary good.

Plus, as of now, as opposed to JMU, all receivers are healthy. Two of the top receivers were out for JMU. Best punt returner was out too.
And our shutdown CB never played a down.

PDXGrizzly said:
The defense held it together pretty damn well all things considered.
Would have held up much better with our shutdown CB available. JMU abused his freshman replacement.

This coaching staff fully and completely expects this team to be playing in Frisco. That’s good enough for me.

To the ship!!!

BWahlberg said:
Sugar coated post.

You had me at sugar coated post. I already knew I’d agree with everything you’d say cus I’ve been feeling this way for good bit now. I realize getting over that NDSU hump is gonna be tuff but anything less then playing in the natty will be a disappointment. The depth at the skill positions is the difference this year from all other championship caliber teams we’ve had. I’m positive I’ve never seen nothing like it here at the U before.

Dang I’m excited for this team.

Shouldn’t be a shocker to anyone, but seems like we’ll go as far as O-line and QB play can take us.

GO GRIZ

Interesting commentary from Coach Hauck last night on his coach's radio show picking Deari Todd as this year's breakout player. He gushed about Deari for several minutes. Hauck just doesn't do things like that so it says a lot about him. Believe Hauck also mentioned the D-Ends were as talented as a whole group as he's been around. Both comments were pleasant surprises to me.

I think the coolest part about this team is not just that it is based around a killer Defense, possibly the meanest ever, but also that D has a strong MT flavor and backbone. It seems to be our recipe for success: get the best recruits in MT and mold them into a killer D. The camaraderie among the Defensive players is palpable, and higher than ever.

Of the 22 defenders on the 2deep:

Eureka

Loyola (x2)

Anaconda

P-burg

Helena

Kalispell (x2)

Missoula

Billings

= Almost half of the D is from MT.

kemajic said:
mthoopsfan said:
Plus, as of now, as opposed to JMU, all receivers are healthy. Two of the top receivers were out for JMU. Best punt returner was out too.
And our shutdown CB never played a down.
Didn't Gavin go down also?

garizzalies said:

Eureka

Loyola (x2)

Anaconda

P-burg

Helena

Kalispell (x2)

Missoula

Billings

Doesn’t Loyola count as “Missoula”?

some of you folks sound like you are writing a pre-nup for this season, i.e. bringing up the old 'if this guy doesn't get injured, if that guy doesn't' etc, etc.., then bringing up players who missed part or all of the jmu game as evidence, of sorts. meh. jmu was a better team. moreover, the ol' injury as cause of losses seems to only be valid for certain coaches. this makes me think you aren't really all that sure of your prognostications. personally, i think the team should be pretty good, and if injuries happen, the players and coaches will figure out how to minimize any harm from them.

on another note, hey greenie, are you still following the the 'china story', so to speak? i enjoyed our conversations on the subject. It gets nuttier and nuttier, with chengdu and it's 21 million residents being locked down today due to a few covid cases. those locked down include my chinese teacher and a handful of friends and family. i kept telling them to stock up on supplies, as it was sure to happen, with xi seemingly wanting to shut down all of the major cities for a period of time in order to show he's the boss, and... he's doing it. lots of other really interesting stuff happening, including, as you know Taiwan.

I think the focus on and success in both recruiting, and more importantly developing Montana players is one of the foremost reasons for Bobby Haucks success. He has always had a knack for not just identifying local prospects with potential, but developing them to realize their potential.

AZGrizFan said:
garizzalies said:

Eureka

Loyola (x2)

Anaconda

P-burg

Helena

Kalispell (x2)

Missoula

Billings

Doesn’t Loyola count as “Missoula”?
I don’t think so. One mountain has an “M” and one has an “L”. You’ll notice I did not count a player some argue is from MT.
I like the small school nature. Technically, the argument could be made that 4 are from MSLA but 3 of them might correct you. The fact is, 5 of these guys came from class B or smaller!!

Latest posts

Back