• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

This is one of the most talented Griz teams we've had in a while

mthoopsfan said:
poorgriz said:
lol... well if he sucks and gets benched after losing to the griz.... then yes he probably will quit.

Is the quitter QB playing anywhere this season?

I looked for signs of Sulser at Texas a few days ago, and found nothing, except his roster page. The coach said he wasn't doing a two-deep. The media and other two-deeps didn't list Sulser anywhere, whether at receiver or punt/KO returner. I thought he'd be the punter returner.

No idea, I stopped paying attention to him when he left the team. I'm not going to bash the kid though, as I heard he was battling some mental issues.

EverettGriz said:
poorgriz said:
Wowza - you guys really did take over as pre season national champs - congratulations!!!

Better hope your starting QB doesn't go down....

Uh, isn’t this true of 99% of the teams out there, including the kitties?

I wouldn't say 99%, but yes the majority of college teams are going to take a pretty big step back if their QB1 goes down. However, many teams do have excellent backups and the gap between QB1 and QB2 isn't that huge. Not the case with this year's griz from what I heard.

BWahlberg said:
PeauxRouge said:
I am on board with the optimism.

BUT,

What has changed so drastically on offense, outside of QB play (and a couple RB), from the mess we saw against a team like JMU in the playoffs? Is that enough?

1. QB Play - Johnson brings a running aspect that we didn't have as much last year. Brown (if needed) has dramatically improved too.

2. Running game - Knight & Ostmo are back, Harris has added good muscle and brings better durability. Childs has improved as well. We've got a legit stable that brings a respectable rushing attack - and a pass catching attack too.

3. OL attitude - Yes we have 3 new guys starting on the OL. We also have some legit DOLA dudes in Forbes and Mayginnes. I think this OL *could* be an intimidating group.

4. A more versatile WR corps - Roberts is the technician that does everything perfect. Flowers is a threat all over the field, just get him the ball. Simpson a height mis-match. White can play every position at WR and could be that guy who other teams used against us to beat the slot defender. Bergen / Fontes stepping up and ready to contribute.

5. Cole f'n Grossman.

6. Phen as a consultant I'll just bet adds some new looks to this offense.
Phen back is way bigger than people realize.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
kemajic said:
Why is that sad?

My thought exactly. Sheesh, what do you expect?
I expect that the U of Montana should have a majority of Montana players. If our population cannot field at least a majority of players from in state then we should drop down. Otherwise are we really the university of Montana or are we the university of California at Missoula?

indian-outlaw said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
I expect that the U of Montana should have a majority of Montana players. If our population cannot field at least a majority of players from in state then we should drop down. Otherwise are we really the university of Montana or are we the university of California at Missoula?

Then go watch fucking carrol college or Montana tech bud, because what you’re describing isn’t D1 football it’s NAIA and there’s plenty of that in this state if that’s your speed. Quit your bitching.

indian-outlaw said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Translation: I would rather lose than watch all these black kids playing for the Griz.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
indian-outlaw said:

Then go watch f###[#] carrol college or Montana tech bud, because what you’re describing isn’t D1 football it’s NAIA and there’s plenty of that in this state if that’s you’re speed. Quit your bitching.
Not bitching, I guess I triggered you.

poorgriz said:
EverettGriz said:
Uh, isn’t this true of 99% of the teams out there, including the kitties?

I wouldn't say 99%, but yes the majority of college teams are going to take a pretty big step back if their QB1 goes down. However, many teams do have excellent backups and the gap between QB1 and QB2 isn't that huge. Not the case with this year's griz from what I heard.

You mean the guy who as a freshman won 3 out of 4 bsc starts? I’ll take my chances. Along those lines, who even IS the kitty back up to Merlot?

indian-outlaw said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Then go watch f###[#] carrol college or Montana tech bud, because what you’re describing isn’t D1 football it’s NAIA and there’s plenty of that in this state if that’s you’re speed. Quit your bitching.
Not bitching, I guess I triggered you.

You are bitching, that’s exactly what your whiny ass is doing. We have a kick ass roster and all you wanna do is whine and bitch about how there’s not enough Montana kids. So seriously, quit fucking watching UM and go cheer for Carroll or tech, because that’s exactly what you’d like to see ; you’d like a roster full of nobody but Montana kids, which is just fine at NAIA but NOT D1. I don’t know what alternate universe you live in where a D1 roster can be filled predominantly with in state kids when said state has only 1 million residents and two D1 universities.

With Montana’s total population hovering around (or well below) that of many metro areas in other states, I think it’s pretty impressive to have even 25% of players hailing from Montana at this level.

That said, I’ve never really agreed with emphasizing it like some do. I’d much rather get the best we can get without an arbitrary quota.

CDAGRIZ said:
With Montana’s total population hovering around (or well below) that of many metro areas in other states, I think it’s pretty impressive to have even 25% of players hailing from Montana at this level.

💯 my thoughts exactly.

CDAGRIZ said:

That said, I’ve never really agreed with emphasizing it like some do. I’d much rather get the best we can get without an arbitrary quota.

Best player no matter if he comes from Dillon, Dutton, Denver, Dallas, Des Moines, Dubuque, Detroit, Durham, Delhi, Dubai or Dublin.

This in state argument is dumb outside of not being eligible for the coveted 37 jersey. Once a kid buys in to the UM culture they become a Montanan. One day…Go Griz!

mthoopsfan said:
argh! said:
some of you folks sound like you are writing a pre-nup for this season, i.e. bringing up the old 'if this guy doesn't get injured, if that guy doesn't' etc, etc.., then bringing up players who missed part or all of the jmu game as evidence, of sorts. meh. jmu was a better team. moreover, the ol' injury as cause of losses seems to only be valid for certain coaches. this makes me think you aren't really all that sure of your prognostications. personally, i think the team should be pretty good, and if injuries happen, the players and coaches will figure out how to minimize any harm from them.

on another note, hey greenie, are you still following the the 'china story', so to speak? i enjoyed our conversations on the subject. It gets nuttier and nuttier, with chengdu and it's 21 million residents being locked down today due to a few covid cases. those locked down include my chinese teacher and a handful of friends and family. i kept telling them to stock up on supplies, as it was sure to happen, with xi seemingly wanting to shut down all of the major cities for a period of time in order to show he's the boss, and... he's doing it. lots of other really interesting stuff happening, including, as you know Taiwan.

While injuries happen, and there are always many injuries by late in the season, having all the injured players back now, plus some replacements, has the potential to make the team damn good. Injuries at QB, RB, receiver, and corner are usually huge injuries. If magically, the Griz could have played JMU at full strength, I believe it would have been a much different game.

I am only vaguely following the China covid now. Following Taiwan more. With your ties to Taiwan, was surprised I hadn't see anything from you. Vaguely following the China real estate. Now that I've moved on from my firm, I don't get the business reports of what's happening in China anymore. I'm happy to pay attention to the Politics section.

i've been told some interesting stuff by friends who are there, most of whom are locked down right now, and pissed about it. i will put it in the politics section.

sorry to disrupt thread.

indian-outlaw said:
garizzalies said:
Huh. Say what now? Where is the “bragging” in a post pointing out factual info?
Well you were touting the fact that almost half of our team is from Montana. Just pointing out that it's a pretty sad fact that less than half of our team is from Montana.
Sad? What in the world? I’ve always suspected you were a bubcat.

I think you missed the point or maybe I am not doing a good enough job explaining it.

People from all over MT love going to the games and following a local kid. Gives them great pride. I guarantee Anacompton and P-burg will be well represented on Saturday and there will be nary a complaint about a little warm air from those folks.

But that’s not all. We always have MT kids, and we always have a good D. I think the “coolest part” about this year’s team is that we have both in spades. And I don’t think it’s a coincidence. In fact, I think they go hand-in-hand. I believe we have a killer D because we collected all of these killers from around the state. I don’t think a random collection of guys from some other states would make up such a great D.

There’s something special about this D. They’ve gelled or have a chemistry or whatever the hell you want to call it. I saw it first-hand and I don’t recall seeing it this thick before. I don’t think the unit would be as strong if it were just a bunch of random dudes from WA, CA, and OR without this special connection.

6s0lv5.jpg

WaGriz4life said:
indian-outlaw said:

Translation: I would rather lose than watch all these black kids playing for the Griz.

Bingo!

EverettGriz said:
poorgriz said:

You mean the guy who as a freshman won 3 out of 4 bsc starts? I’ll take my chances. Along those lines, who even IS the kitty back up to Merlot?

I've heard Brown is quite a ways behind your starter. Cat QB2 is WY transfer Sean Chambers, multi year team captain as voted by his teammates. He's another very good runner, big kid, but I don't think his passing is where it needs to be.....

poorgriz said:
EverettGriz said:

I've heard Brown is quite a ways behind your starter. Cat QB2 is WY transfer Sean Chambers, multi year team captain as voted by his teammates. He's another very good runner, big kid, but I don't think his passing is where it needs to be.....

Heard chambers is injured again, and that your backup is the third string guy, the name eludes me. Heard that on Nuanez now just a couple days ago when he had tootell on the show as a guest. As a Wyoming fan, I liked chambers, and thought he’d push for the starting job, especially since he knew vigens system. He has been so injury prone. My cowboys lost both their QBs to the transfer portal, among many other good players, and it certainly showed week one.

garizzalies said:
indian-outlaw said:
Well you were touting the fact that almost half of our team is from Montana. Just pointing out that it's a pretty sad fact that less than half of our team is from Montana.
Sad? What in the world? I’ve always suspected you were a bubcat.

I think you missed the point or maybe I am not doing a good enough job explaining it.

People from all over MT love going to the games and following a local kid. Gives them great pride. I guarantee Anacompton and P-burg will be well represented on Saturday and there will be nary a complaint about a little warm air from those folks.

But that’s not all. We always have MT kids, and we always have a good D. I think the “coolest part” about this year’s team is that we have both in spades. And I don’t think it’s a coincidence. In fact, I think they go hand-in-hand. I believe we have a killer D because we collected all of these killers from around the state. I don’t think a random collection of guys from some other states would make up such a great D.

There’s something special about this D. They’ve gelled or have a chemistry or whatever the hell you want to call it. I saw it first-hand and I don’t recall seeing it this thick before. I don’t think the unit would be as strong if it were just a bunch of random dudes from WA, CA, and OR without this special connection.

6s0lv5.jpg

Your third para nails it. I completely agree. The MT kids draw fans from all over the state.

And, Bobby has always said the one of the several reasons that MT recruiting is key, is because the scholarships cost much less than the out of state recruits. Thus, the savings can be spent on other things. The more important factor is that the MT kids lead the way on work ethic and toughness. An out of state player friend of mine, from 10 years ago, told me that he had never met a MT teammate who wasn't tough.

Latest posts

Back