• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

You Wanna Talk Football???

argh! said:
the good - what sunny wrote, plus that humphrey showed he can run pretty well. so defenses have to respect that, opening up the passing game a bit. the snow, then sun, then snow made it seem a bit like a fall game.

the bad - the opponent was d2 and with a coach who started in february of 2019, so he's only really had one season of in-game coaching the team. that makes it really hard to gauge the quality of the opponent. the um defense didn't have any sacks. the starting rb looked slow to get to any openings by the o-line, which really weren't that many, anyways. also, cwa was apparently without their best player, the rb who entered the transfer portal the day of the game. having said that, they had a guy who made something like 18 tackles, so maybe he's really the best player.
The RB had to make a difference as their Flanagan was an Ostmo clone. But not sure how much difference as the Griz defense was swarming the running game and delivering big hits and group tackles. No pressure on a D2 QB is however a major concern.

For this game at least it looked like Humphrey was working a lot harder than Brown who always looked under control and maybe has another gear. If I knew neither and you just showed me their performances I would have guessed Brown was the starter. Time will tell. It's a good problem to have.

HelenaHandBasket said:
griz98 said:
PR, an honest question because I wasn't able to watch most of the game. Were the receivers more open for Kris than they were for Cam and if so, why?

Was it the receivers were more open or he found the more open receivers?

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:
Duckhunt is right—Brown is better than Cam. Substantially better. Brown has that touch and magic anticipation. Looked natural. Easy. Cam seems inconsistent and tries too hard. Throws too hard. I thought he was going to get picked several times, and his WRs turned into CBs a few times. Most of his big completions took extra effort from the WR, not dimes. My guess is Cam has the edge for now, probably due to leadership, grasp of playbook, and running ability but all of that will run out eventually vs a good D or Brown will catch up, especially if we cannot run the ball.

Nope.
Cam had several passes which left us shaking our heads, like what the??? Some in the dirt 10 yards short, some 10 yards over the WR’s head. Akem should not have to push off ever, and certainly not 3 times. Some passes should have been picked. #17 had the best PBU for The Griz, and I’m talking about the #17 who plays O, not D. On I think a 4th-n-goal, I believe after a time out, Cam almost put it in the stands. Turnover on downs. That cannot happen. Did you see anything like that from Brown? I didn’t.
So, it wasn’t just that Brown looked more accurate with better timing, he also avoided those horrible errant passes too.
Thus, it looked like to me that Brown has a higher ceiling and not as low of a floor.
Cam seemed to think too much. He was better when in rhythm, but if the clock stopped and he had time to dwell on the next pass, it came out bad.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
Brown looked good. But virtually every completion was to a wide open receiver.

I find that almost every poster who talks about progressions doesn't have a clue as to what he is talking about. Just my experience. If 24 or grizrule or rico, or others who have been coaches, refer to progressions, which they rarely do, I pay more attention. I don't know whether Humpphrey left the pocket too soon at times, but he ran very well when he did.
:lol: :lol:

Funny how, when you go through your progressions, your completions are to wide open receivers. Coincidence? I think not...

That's not true.

garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:
Cam had several passes which left us shaking our heads, like what the??? Some in the dirt 10 yards short, some 10 yards over the WR’s head. Akem should not have to push off ever, and certainly not 3 times. Some passes should have been picked. #17 had the best PBU for The Griz, and I’m talking about the #17 who plays O, not D. On I think a 4th-n-goal, I believe after a time out, Cam almost put it in the stands. Turnover on downs. That cannot happen. Did you see anything like that from Brown? I didn’t.
So, it wasn’t just that Brown looked more accurate with better timing, he also avoided those horrible errant passes too.
Thus, it looked like to me that Brown has a higher ceiling and not as low of a floor.
Cam seemed to think too much. He was better when in rhythm, but if the clock stopped and he had time to dwell on the next pass, it came out bad.

The two to Akem where he pushed a bit, were both perfectly thrown passes. I must have missed the 3d. Cam is thinking too much because he wants to please egrizers with his progressions.

cclarkblues said:
For this game at least it looked like Humphrey was working a lot harder than Brown who always looked under control and maybe has another gear. If I knew neither and you just showed me their performances I would have guessed Brown was the starter. Time will tell. It's a good problem to have.

Note that Humphrey played in the bad weather and against all CW first teamers.

PlayerRep said:
cclarkblues said:

CWU’s four leading tacklers were still in the game late in the 4th quarter, making tackles, and unable to top Brown. Brown also most likely wasn’t allowed to air it out given the score, which most likely negatively impacted his stats....there’s lots of variables, not sure why you can’t just admit Brown looked good, looked better than Cam, but that doesn’t mean there’s a need to panic or switch at this point.

You pick the oddest hills to die on. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

CWU’s four leading tacklers were still in the game late in the 4th quarter, making tackles, and unable to top Brown. Brown also most likely wasn’t allowed to air it out given the score, which most likely negatively impacted his stats....there’s lots of variables, not sure why you can’t just admit Brown looked good, looked better than Cam, but that doesn’t mean there’s a need to panic or switch at this point.

I call BS on your post. I said first teamers, not leading tacklers. The Missoulian said Brown was playing against first and second teamers. I don't believe you on leading tacklers either. Let's see your proof. I have said twice that Brown looked good. Is it your reading or your memory that is the problem? Humphrey showed he is the better qb and will start next week. Ask Grady Bennett what he thinks.

Does the phrase never played the game and doesn't understand the game mean anything to you?

Have never died on a hill on egriz. Are you still guaranteeing Stitt will be renewed?

PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:

The two to Akem where he pushed a bit, were both perfectly thrown passes. I must have missed the 3d. Cam is thinking too much because he wants to please egrizers with his progressions.
If those two were perfectly thrown, there would be no need for Akem to push off. Both were under-thrown. Put those in front of Akem and those are TDs. Similar to the third one where Akem got away with a push.
I’m not one of the “progression” guys. I agree with you that Cam is the better overall QB at this point. Cam seems to have a better grasp of the O and access to a thicker playbook (along with other intangibles) which likely makes him the better QB right now. But Brown is the better passer and I think he could catch Cam eventually, especially if The Griz cannot run.

garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:
If those two were perfectly thrown, there would be no need for Akem to push off. Both were under-thrown. Put those in front of Akem and those are TDs. Similar to the third one where Akem got away with a push.
I’m not one of the “progression” guys. I agree with you that Cam is the better overall QB at this point. Cam seems to have a better grasp of the O and access to a thicker playbook (along with other intangibles) which likely makes him the better QB right now. But Brown is the better passer and I think he could catch Cam eventually, especially if The Griz cannot run.

Receivers extend hands back to create separation, not because of underthrown balls. Both of the ones I am talking about were TDs, I believe, but one called back.

I finally got a chance to watch the game, and boy does Kris Brown throw a pretty ball. The way Cam kept running and taking hits, we may need both of these guys this fall.

cclarkblues said:

:thumb:

garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:

Personally I would call it even and move on! Remember a couple years ago when Sneed pulled away from the pack and another QB just packed it in. Things will get interesting come this weekend and into fall camp, with hopefully no defections!

PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:

Receivers extend hands back to create separation, not because of underthrown balls. Both of the ones I am talking about were TDs, I believe, but one called back.
Nope.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

I call BS on your post. I said first teamers, not leading tacklers. The Missoulian said Brown was playing against first and second teamers. I don't believe you on leading tacklers either. Let's see your proof. I have said twice that Brown looked good. Is it your reading or your memory that is the problem? Humphrey showed he is the better qb and will start next week. Ask Grady Bennett what he thinks.

Does the phrase never played the game and doesn't understand the game mean anything to you?

Have never died on a hill on egriz. Are you still guaranteeing Stitt will be renewed?

Discussing something with you is like discussing something with a woman. When their point sucks, they bring up shit from 3 years ago. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You've said twice Brown looked good? Let's see YOUR proof. MY proof is in the play by play box score.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Discussing something with you is like discussing something with a woman. When their point sucks, they bring up shit from 3 years ago. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You've said twice Brown looked good? Let's see YOUR proof. MY proof is in the play by play box score.
Brown looked good. He did not look better than Cam who had to deal with bad swirling wind in the first half. Cam was Sneed-like running for first downs when we needed them. I was there; were you? Or must you continue your couch overanalysis of this minute sample size?

Ursa Major said:
Griz Addict said:
They think they're funny.. When in reality they just seem foolish/childish.

After watching a replay of the game, Brown is looking amazing. I feel like he's years ahead of Humphrey already. Humphrey was consistently throwing behind and way over receivers. Would only make 1-2 reads and trying to force it. Brown looks like a natural. Imo he even looks better than Sneed when it comes to throwing the ball. Brown was dropping dimes. I really hope Hauck doesn't start Humphrey just based on it being his last year. Let's look forward and get Brown the playing time he deserves. He's going to be a good one. I haven't been this excited about a Griz QB since JJ.

You know what I think is foolish and childish?

Someone who watches ONE spring game and thinks he can predict the starting lineup 5 months before the first football game. You must know a lot more than the coaching staff.

Another thing that I think that is foolish and childish is being whipsawed by Steve Dill into a phony argument. This happens EVERY spring, dipshit goes to one practice, creates a new e-Griz persona, and throws out inflammatory and false information to garner attention. It’s usually the opposite of what other posters, especially PR, are saying.

Say what you will about PR but the guy goes to a lot of practices, has an eye for talent and has a good understanding of college football. He is far and away a much more sound resource for Griz personnel than Steve Dill. This is based on years of observations and reading many of their posts.

By all means, please continue to volunteer ignorance off of our 1 game of exposure to this Griz squad and never mind the rest of spring ball, the summer ahead and fall camp.

As Helena pointed out, this is not a controversy. Steve Dill just wants the attention you’re giving him. It saves him the time of creating new fake accounts to do the same.

Nice to know I still live in your head, rent-free. You have never posted anything of significance about Griz football in years. You wait in the wings to bless us with another of your amateur comedic B.S. You are one of the chief ass hats who ruin any semblance of discussing football. My suggestion is to initiate a Facebook group where you can entertain your minions with your self-aggrandizing entries, and leave egriz to those of us who want to discuss football. Just for your information, I have not attended a Griz football practice in three years.

Continue to fellate your hero PR. If you play nice, perhaps he will invite you to the lake house with Cam. My guess is that you've already been there multiple times.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

See the bolded phrases saying "Brown looked good".

1. "AZGrizFan wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:02 pm
PlayerRep wrote: ↑Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:16 am

Brown looked good. But virtually every completion was to a wide open receiver."

[AZ, as you can see, you responded to this post of mine. Having discussions with you is like having a discussion with a woman, i.e. you ignore what you were just told. Ha.]

2. " Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:43 pm

hm.grwn.grizfan wrote: ↑Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:31 pm
First off, how awesome was it to finally get to see our team?! They have some things to improve on and some rust to shake off, but overall we have a lot to be excited about as fans. Now to the grades.

Offense - B
— QB position is definitely up in the air. [SWX picked Cam as player of game, and Grady Bennett said he'd take on all comers as to Cam being the starter.] Cam didn’t do anything to solidify his starting status while Brown came in and provided a spark, made good reads, and threw an absolutely beautiful ball. [Cam ran the team very well, threw some good one and some not so good ones, and ran well.] [Brown looked good, after coming in for last series of 3d quarter, perhaps towards clean-up time.]"

Latest posts

Back