• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Recruiting

Technically, no one is on scholarship for next year. Scholarships are renewed year to year and the kids being given one for next year sometimes don't actually sign the papers until the summer. I am not sure, but I would think that the person who is leaving, being dropped or not getting a schollie knows by now.

I like Tinkle as much as the next guy, but I am not prepared to say he is infallible. The criticism of Emerson seems to come from the fact that Tinks has not really played him yet. For me, it is going to take more than that to convince myself that my own eyes are deceiving me. I have a hard time saying that Emerson could not shoot 18% from the floor and grab 1 rebound every 20 minutes of game time, both of which would literally be an improvement over the production we got from Gfeller after Thanksgiving. I have not seen anything to this point from Gfeller, Lopez or even Bradshaw that would make me think they are more worthy of a scholarship than Emerson. Even good coaches fall in love with players or schemes that are not the best option.

Of the coaches we have lost in the past few years I think losing Andy Hill has hurt us the most. He was great as the head recruiter and he has an excellent eye for talent. Since he left we have signed Martin, Kovacivic, Wiley, Coleman, Kemp, Gfeller, Lopez and Dunn. Other than Dunn there is not one of those guys that makes me have alot of faith in our recruiting.

I guess my angst on this subject comes from that fact. When we signed Lopez late in the spring last year he was heralded as the next Jamar. We were told he was going to be an understudy for a year then he would be the man. Well, a year later we are trying to sign the next, next Jamar. I have a hard time thinking we are going to shaft one of the in-state guys in order to bring in the next, next Jamar.

We seem to be sitting pretty good in the backcourt. We return all three starters. Two of them were all-conference (Gregory and Deshields) and the other might be our next star (Dunn). Bradshaw, Emerson and Gfeller will be solid bench guys. So I guess the question I would have is, where does the next, next Jamar even fit?

temp said:
This is my one beef with Tinks. He is a great coach and I am glad we have him but he has definitely helped perpetuate the MT kids suck myth.

And how long is he going to punish Bradshaw for spurning us for USU, my gawd. We seem to be digging real deep to find a guy his size and position to bring in to avoid giving him that scholarship. I understand there is no reason to pay for something you can get for free, but damn man, the 30th best player in NM?? Would that really be an upgrade?

Have you seen Bradshaw play?????? He is a step slow and can't take people off the dribble, can't defend anyone, so as far as I am concerned Utah State can have him back. Speaking of Utah State, Stew has gone 8-6 in conference the last 2 seasons, in a league that is pretty much a 1 bid league. Bradshaw was given a gift by Stew because of family connections, the kid will never be a difference maker at UM. Call me a hater, call me what you will, but any coach that bets his job on guys like Bradshaw will soon be an assistant somewhere else.

I am confident Tinkle can and will recruit the guys he needs to succeed next season. Tinks is not on the top end of the hiring list right now, but another BSC title and a better showing in the NCAA could quickly change that, especially with a Top 50 son that is going to be a SR in HS next year. Just sayin

Cameron Schott ‏@Cameron_Schott 37m
Diablo Valley College freshman SG Jermaine Edmonds Jr. has committed to Montana. He'll join former Salesian teammate Mario Dunn.

DERRICK JONES ‏@FOLLOWMRJONES 32m
Diablo Valley JC (CA) guard Jermaine Edmonds commits to D1 Montana @JucoRecruiting @VerbalCommits @NorCalPreps

Edmonds looks like a true wing to me. He looks great offensively. How is his defense? So here is our one guard for this class. The next commit had better be a 6'8' plus true post player who can bang and board.

mtgrizrule said:
Edmonds looks like a true wing to me. He looks great offensively. How is his defense? So here is our one guard for this class. The next commit had better be a 6'8' plus true post player who can bang and board.

And be ready to do it immediately

as always, we sign a player who wasn't on anbyody's radar screen.

i like this signing for a number of reasons. he's got the size and the athleticism we need, with three more years in the program. he not only rejoins mario dunn, providing mario a bit of that "california vibe," but strengthens our ties to one of the great high school basketball programs in the bay area, salesian richmond. (remember, mario's brother demar is still an underlassman on that team.) from a glance at the internet, it looks like pacific, cal poly and even nevada were looking at him.

funny, i saw salesian play a couple of times mario's senior year, and i don't remember edmonds at all. jabara bird was dazzling, a mcdonald's all-american, dunn had announced for montana and another kid for cal poly. those were the three that got all the attention. if edmonds had any d-1 offers at that time, nobody was talking about it. but it looks like he blossomed once he got away from all those other players, and has build a solid resume on his own. sometimes you just need to find the right space in your life to blossom.

one final note. salesian is one of the class programs anywhere. i saw one game when they played at the menlo school, down the peninsula. menlo is a nearly all-white private school right in the heart of all that silicon valley wealth, and the school shows it--lush landscaping, great facilities, fancy cars. salesian meantime is in richmond, north of berkeley, a pretty cool area in its own right, but not one you associate with great wealth. but against menlo, it was salesian that had the wealth of talent, a chance to strut, style and humble an obviously out-classed opponent, yet there was none of that the game i witnessed. salesian acted like they were playing the boston celtics, and sportsmanship abounded on both sides. just as the score began to get out of hand, salesian cleared its bench. i believe any kid from saleisan reflects that manner of coaching and sportsmanship, and will be a great addition to our program.

citay said:

i like this signing for a number of reasons. he's got the size and the athleticism we need, with three more years in the program. he not only rejoins mario dunn, providing mario a bit of that "california vibe," but strengthens our ties to one of the great high school basketball programs in the bay area, salesian richmond. (remember, mario's brother demar is still an underlassman on that team.) from a glance at the internet, it looks like pacific, cal poly and even nevada were looking at him.

funny, i saw salesian play a couple of times mario's senior year, and i don't remember edmonds at all. jabara bird was dazzling, a mcdonald's all-american, dunn had announced for montana and another kid for cal poly. those were the three that got all the attention. if edmonds had any d-1 offers at that time, nobody was talking about it. but it looks like he blossomed once he got away from all those other players, and has build a solid resume on his own. sometimes you just need to find the right space in your life to blossom.

one final note. salesian is one of the class programs anywhere. i saw one game when they played at the menlo school, down the peninsula. menlo is a nearly all-white private school right in the heart of all that silicon valley wealth, and the school shows it--lush landscaping, great facilities, fancy cars. salesian meantime is in richmond, north of berkeley, a pretty cool area in its own right, but not one you associate with great wealth. but against menlo, it was salesian that had the wealth of talent, a chance to strut, style and humble an obviously out-classed opponent, yet there was none of that the game i witnessed. salesian acted like they were playing the boston celtics, and sportsmanship abounded on both sides. just as the score began to get out of hand, salesian cleared its bench. i believe any kid from saleisan reflects that manner of coaching and sportsmanship, and will be a great addition to our program.

After reading that, I guess one of my favorite movies of all time, "Coach Carter" was pretty accurate. Your description just reminded me of many scenes from that movie. I think it is time for me to watch it again.

I agree with you on this signing. It is great to start a pipeline with a pre eminent national program. There are only so many basketballs and shots to go around in these programs. Every player who makes these teams has talent and great potential. Many of them separate themselves at smaller schools. Wayne is a damn smart coach when it comes to recruiting. He gets on very talented kids early, and builds a relationship. It is nice to see him now following up with talented players from great programs, and taking advantage of current players on the roster. I am sure Dunn has been very influential in Edmond's signing.

Citay, who are the post players to be keeping an eye on at Salesian?

mtgrizrule said:
citay said:

After reading that, I guess one of my favorite movies of all time, "Coach Carter" was pretty accurate. Your description just reminded me of many scenes from that movie. I think it is time for me to watch it again.

I agree with you on this signing. It is great to start a pipeline with a pre eminent national program. There are only so many basketballs and shots to go around in these programs. Every player who makes these teams has talent and great potential. Many of them separate themselves at smaller schools. Wayne is a damn smart coach when it comes to recruiting. He gets on very talented kids early, and builds a relationship. It is nice to see him now following up with talented players from great programs, and taking advantage of current players on the roster. I am sure Dunn has been very influential in Edmond's signing.

grizrule: galloway is the only post player listed on their roster. as we know, he's committed to fullerton. he made "honorable mention" all-bay area. a 6' guard who made second team all-bay area(mario dunn territory) just committed to sac state. they've also signed a 3-star 6'5" kid from southern california. and we know that weber has one very good post player coming in, together with another 3-star shooting guard out of texas. the cats have two tall post players from england, plus a very good shooting guard out of colorado. some terrific recruits popping up on big sky commit lists.

citay said:
mtgrizrule said:
citay said:

grizrule: galloway is the only post player listed on their roster. as we know, he's committed to fullerton. he made "honorable mention" all-bay area. a 6' guard who made second team all-bay area(mario dunn territory) just committed to sac state. they've also signed a 3-star 6'5" kid from southern california. and we know that weber has one very good post player coming in, together with another 3-star shooting guard out of texas. the cats have two tall post players from england, plus a very good shooting guard out of colorado. some terrific recruits popping up on big sky commit lists.

Maybe a Cat fan can update us on the Cat recruits. I heard the kid from England was in limbo in staying after Huse was let go.

Ghassan Nehme, the cats guard commit from Colorado, asked for and was granted his release from LOI and will not be attending MSU. Bummer for them sounded like a great pickup

NikeGrizz said:
Tyler Shea (6'9" 225 center) from Chaffey College in California is in this weekend on an official visit
Are you sure you've got the right guy? This guy barely played for Chaffey last season. He averaged about a point and a rebound a game! :(

GrizWhiz said:
NikeGrizz said:
Tyler Shea (6'9" 225 center) from Chaffey College in California is in this weekend on an official visit
Are you sure you've got the right guy? This guy barely played for Chaffey last season. He averaged about a point and a rebound a game! :(
it said he was headed to Montana on a visit... maybe by Montana it meant the state in general and not the university

NikeGrizz said:
GrizWhiz said:
NikeGrizz said:
it said he was headed to Montana on a visit... maybe by Montana it meant the state in general and not the university

Saw a picture on his twitter page of the msu-northern gym...

in the same way the search for the malaysian jetliner has shown us how much garbage there is in the ocean, the months-long posts about recruits on this board has lead pretty much to an equal amount of rubbish. i can't think of a single recent signee that was identified here early, except for backer's post years ago that we were about to sign a "big time" point guard out of california--who turned out to be will cherry.

but jermaine edmonds? how logical was that. a jamar-type athletic wing, high school teammate of mario dunn, said how much he liked his visit to montana--yet not a peep here about him or his visit. fabijan krslovic--not so logical, and yet it wouldn't have been out of the realm of possibility to have thought that with jack lopez we'd established a link to australia. still, not one iota of speculation about that.

instead we're talking about some kid out of new mexico, another kid who played a minute at some jaycee somewhere, the son of the stanford coach, a kid in wisconsin or minnesota or timbuktu, five guys listed on rivals--and none of them ever come to fruition.

i post this only by way of insuring that aubrey dawkins signs with us.

A friend has a son attending the U, he is good friends with some of the players. He says to expect at least one more signing and that we will be shocked at who got cut.

He rarely tells me exactly what is going on, but I would absolutely expect more signings.

Back