• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A real take on coach and his players

mtgriz said:
Something that isn't getting a lot of mention but Stitt should be highly commended for - he did not take the redshirt off any of the true freshmen this fall. It would have served him well for the short-term but he resisted for the long-term plan he has put in place. For that alone I am completely comfortable that he gets the final year of his contract, and also an extension of at least one year.

This. I was thinking this exact same thing. With all the new players, that could have been very tempting.

grizatwork said:
I don't always agree with 75. In fact, I find I seldom agree with him. I think he has what is a valid opinion based on his observations. I wish he would say it once and let it go rather than post on every single thread and repeat the same thing. I understand why he does it. He believes it and feels like he needs to continue to say it so we don't stay on a road that he believes is the wrong one. I personally believe that we need to see improvement next year. Not necessarily in the record, but in fire, discipline, and control. If that happens, the record should take care of itself. I don't think an extension is warranted until then.

I do disagree that he should be banned. He has an opinion that is different than other people, and he can come across in a very condescending way. So what. His opinion is different and he comes across as a jerk. That is in no way reason to ban someone. If that is what is going to happen, why even have a board? Shut it down and we can just sit in our rooms and talk to ourselves so we don't hear any differing opinion.
:clap: :thumb:

mtgriz said:
Something that isn't getting a lot of mention but Stitt should be highly commended for - he did not take the redshirt off any of the true freshmen this fall. It would have served him well for the short-term but he resisted for the long-term plan he has put in place. For that alone I am completely comfortable that he gets the final year of his contract, and also an extension of at least one year.
I held my breath every time an o-lineman went down and I saw Thane Jackson suited up. I'm hoping in Jackson, UM has the potential for a 3 or 4 year all league performer.

signedbewildered said:
UMGriz75 said:
I think he's saying "Brady's gone." Hmmmm.

You really are doing what you can to hurt the kids on the team over the last couple of months. That's sad, it really is for someone who likes to imply they are such an advocate. Simply to advance your agenda at any athletes cost.

Again, quit speaking for all of the kids. No one appointed you. You're simply a drama queen and I can assure you, things aren't nearly as dire as you suggest between Stitt, his staff and the players.
You are pretending to speak for "the kids" right? I'm not suggesting anything. I am looking at the actual record, the direct comments of kids leaving, the obvious behaviors on the Field. The public comments of the Coach himself blaming the team. The results. The 0.375 conference record. The loss to the Cats. They are consistent with one another. What is inconsistent is the claim that the kids just love that; they really thrive on that record, and have shown it on the field, right?

Keep excusing failure and pretend the players are behind you, and I'll keep advocating for success and know for certain that's what the players want and work hard to earn.

UMGriz75 said:
signedbewildered said:
UMGriz75 said:
I think he's saying "Brady's gone." Hmmmm.

You really are doing what you can to hurt the kids on the team over the last couple of months. That's sad, it really is for someone who likes to imply they are such an advocate. Simply to advance your agenda at any athletes cost.

Again, quit speaking for all of the kids. No one appointed you. You're simply a drama queen and I can assure you, things aren't nearly as dire as you suggest between Stitt, his staff and the players.
You are pretending to speak for "the kids" right? I'm not suggesting anything. I am looking at the actual record, the direct comments of kids leaving, the obvious behaviors on the Field. The public comments of the Coach himself blaming the team. The results. The 0.375 conference record. The loss to the Cats. They are consistent with one another. What is inconsistent is the claim that the kids just love that; they really thrive on that record, and have shown it on the field, right?

Keep excusing failure and pretend the players are behind you, and I'll keep advocating for success and know for certain that's what the players want and work hard to earn.

You have a counterproductive way of "advocating for success."

I'm not pretending anything and I'm certainly not implying everything is beer and skittles I am just stating what I KNOW FOR A FACT and no, I don't know what ALL of the players think but I can assure everyone you don't either or you would be singing a different tune.

Why is it you weren't so hard on Selvig....and now Shannon or any other current or past athletic coaches for that matter? When you read articles, listen to press conferences or watch interviews try substituting Stitts name in the place of other coaches you should hate them just as much. They are awfully hard on the kids and don't always have great seasons.

Seriously, step back and lay off the rhetoric. If you really gave a rat's ass about the kids that are left on the team you would.

I said this once, and I will say it again. EWU was right where we are last year. 6 - 5 lost the last 3 or 4 in a row. They looked and played terrible. I actually didn't have very high expectations for their team this year, especially the D...........

Look at what one year makes for a crappy team from the year before.

We have a tendency to idolize and then demonize when things don't go the way we want.

Good thing our wives don't do that. :lol:

Dwelling on disappointment, wallowing in misery, and focusing on negativity in not how you turn things around. EWU has shown that this year. Colorado had shown that this year. Penn State has shown that this year. This team has really two options: give up, like some of you have, or get to work and contend next year.

Good to see the kids are getting to work and are rejecting what could have been a toxic attitude make them lose their focus. I'm sure the players and coaches will be working their butts off to silence the doubters next year. I'm rooting for ALL of them. Hoping the staff can also put together another good recruiting class.

signedbewildered said:
Seriously, step back and lay off the rhetoric. If you really gave a rat's ass about the kids that are left on the team you would.
Eighteen months ago, after reviewing the actual record, I realized that Stitt was a reasonably successful, but not phenomenal, DII coach. Three teams in his conference had better conference win records. I stated then, I doubted that a DII coach, based on his record, would make a successful transition to DI in terms of offense, defense, or recruiting. I said I hoped he would, but time would tell.

It's time. I wasn't the only one expressing reasonable reservations about the man, but at this point, there was nothing wrong with my caution. You, on the other hand, were flat out wrong. You could not have been more wrong. And you're in the mood to lecture?

I also objected to the way he treated players. He's got his favorites, they stick up for him. But, the most vocal critic of those players publicly has been ... Bob Stitt. I'm not too fond of that approach from a coach either. The we had a final half season in which only a fool could claim that the team was enthusiastic, and a final loss in our own "House" by a team that, from all appearances, was not only not going to run through walls for this coach, they weren't even going to be bothered to find out if there was a door.

Over on the "egriz club," the select group of participants that regularly congratulate themselves on how much they know about sports, they have finally gathered a group of players, by name, that are willing to assign blame: Brady's fault. That's just how far down this organization has descended: fans seeking out players to blame other players and then publishing the results.

Now, we have a coach that contradicts all of that foolishness, including his own, and claims in a Sally Fields' fashion that he just "wants people to like him." So, he's going to study football in the offseason. First it was a 0.375 tragedy, now it is farce.

It's people like you that are seeking rhetoric, and when you hear snowflakes and puppies, you want more. You don't want football, you want self-gratification and self-validation.

signedbewildered said:
Hire the people that will go there. Don't continually make excuses for failure. If you read the transcript of Stitt's recent press conference objectively, you will realize that will NOT end up in any compilation of great speeches by coaches on the winning spirit. It was one of the saddest press conferences I have heard in 50 years of sports" "I just want people to like me." I have to go and listen to General Mattis speeches just to begin breathing again. “Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” There's got to be a football equivalent.

“Now from a distance, I look back on what the Corps taught me: to think like men of action, and to act like men of thought!”

grizfnz said:
mtgriz said:
I held my breath every time an o-lineman went down and I saw Thane Jackson suited up. I'm hoping in Jackson, UM has the potential for a 3 or 4 year all league performer.

Me too.

On behalf of myself, and all the Griz players and recruits who have 75 on block, would you please stop using the quote function with his posts!!!! We already know he dwells in being a small person when it comes to this coaching staff, and don't need any refreshers of that.

Thank you, a friend of your friend Yogi.

horribilisfan8184 said:
On behalf of myself, and all the Griz players and recruits who have 75 on block, would you please stop using the quote function with his posts!!!! We already know he dwells in being a small person when it comes to this coaching staff, and don't need any refreshers of that.

Thank you, a friend of your friend Yogi.

This.....

horribilisfan8184 said:
On behalf of myself, and all the Griz players and recruits who have 75 on block,....
Now, there's a nice "oh and everyone that thinks like ME" even if they don't .... :lol:

UMGriz75 said:
signedbewildered said:
Hire the people that will go there. Don't continually make excuses for failure. If you read the transcript of Stitt's recent press conference objectively, you will realize that will NOT end up in any compilation of great speeches by coaches on the winning spirit. It was one of the saddest press conferences I have heard in 50 years of sports" "I just want people to like me." I have to go and listen to General Mattis speeches just to begin breathing again. “Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” There's got to be a football equivalent.

“Now from a distance, I look back on what the Corps taught me: to think like men of action, and to act like men of thought!”

If you can't be a man of thought, at least be a man of accuracy. This is what Stitt actually said in that press conference:
"Do I want to get it done fast? Yeah. I want it as fast as possible. I want people to like me. I want people to be satisfied with the job we’re doing. We want to do that. But internally I know what’s going on and how we need to move this forward. I know how many great kids we have and how many young kids. I know how close we were of winning and changing those losses into wins with just a couple things. This is not an easy job, but I love it. What makes it awesome makes it hard too because there is a lot of passion. I want to please people. I want people to be happy that I’m the head football coach and we’re going to get to that point where the majority of the people are going to really excited about the product that we put out there every single week. I know we’re going to get there."

You don't like him, it's clear, but don't twist somebody's words to fit your narrative. It's just pathetic.

kyle_sample said:
UMGriz75 said:
signedbewildered said:

If you can't be a man of thought, at least be a man of accuracy. This is what Stitt actually said in that press conference:
"Do I want to get it done fast? Yeah. I want it as fast as possible. I want people to like me. I want people to be satisfied with the job we’re doing. We want to do that. But internally I know what’s going on and how we need to move this forward. I know how many great kids we have and how many young kids. I know how close we were of winning and changing those losses into wins with just a couple things. This is not an easy job, but I love it. What makes it awesome makes it hard too because there is a lot of passion. I want to please people. I want people to be happy that I’m the head football coach and we’re going to get to that point where the majority of the people are going to really excited about the product that we put out there every single week. I know we’re going to get there."

You don't like him, it's clear, but don't twist somebody's words to fit your narrative. It's just pathetic.

Kyle, he's been misquoting Stitt's pressers for over a year now. It's become 100 percent futile to reason with him.

George Ferguson said:
kyle_sample said:
UMGriz75 said:
signedbewildered said:

Kyle, he's been misquoting Stitt's pressers for over a year now. It's become 100 percent futile to reason with him.

It's pretty hard if not impossible to reason with the unreasonable.

The difference between "I want people to like me," -- the quote I specifically referred to -- and "I want people to like me. I want to please people. I want people to be happy that I’m the head football coach" is nonexistent. He was accurately quoted. From falsely claiming that Stitt had been heavily recruited before Montana, to publicly admitting enjoying being told "dirt" and "highly confidential information" about players and staff by coaches, you two are the bottom of the reporting heap you are both so anxious to get pats on the head.

Back