• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Can we beat NDSU?

Two words.....offensive line. If the offensive line can play at any kind of level Montana has a chance. Unlike some I believe the defense will hold its own but the line play on the offensive side has to be much improved for them to,win this game. In my estimation there will be a dog fight at Washinton Grizzly Stadium on August 29. Should be a good one :thumb:

brewskis said:
If our defense can do as well as they did last year and keep them under 30 then I think our offense will have a better shot at putting enough points on the board than last years. That said, I don't think our defense will keep it within reach and we will go down 38-24.

Just wondering why you think your D did so well last year? If you look at the game stats that is clearly not the case. We had 24 first downs, 280 net yards rushing, 447 total yards and held the ball for damn near 40 minutes of the game. I will give the Griz D some credit for coming up with a few plays in the red zone, but lets face it that game was a couple of plays from being extremely ugly. If you just look at the score 22-10 it looks like a fairly competitive game, but in reality it really wasn't....this is not smack talk.....I just think a few of you haven't really looked at the stats from that game other than the final score.

THE HERD said:
brewskis said:
If our defense can do as well as they did last year and keep them under 30 then I think our offense will have a better shot at putting enough points on the board than last years. That said, I don't think our defense will keep it within reach and we will go down 38-24.

Just wondering why you think your D did so well last year? If you look at the game stats that is clearly not the case. We had 24 first downs, 280 net yards rushing, 447 total yards and held the ball for damn near 40 minutes of the game. I will give the Griz D some credit for coming up with a few plays in the red zone, but lets face it that game was a couple of plays from being extremely ugly. If you just look at the score 22-10 it looks like a fairly competitive game, but in reality it really wasn't....this is not smack talk.....I just think a few of you haven't really looked at the stats from that game other than the final score.

A few?? i think most of them...

:lol:

THE HERD said:
brewskis said:

Well yeah, it's not competitive when the offense keeps giving the ball away. IMO, Montana's defense did amazing for how long they were on the field, and a lot of that time on the field is due to Montana's offense's inability to move the ball. Yes, NDSU had something to do with that, but Montana had issues all season putting together long drives. It would have been interesting to see how much closer the game could have been if the offense was even average and able to move the ball more consistently. Here's look at each possession for Montana against NDSU last year, which shows just how long UM's defense was on the field.

11145570_847562151976977_2831622162958751175_n.jpg

If our offense performs better than last year, and that's the hope for all of us, then this game will be much more competitive.

SloStang said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizfan47 said:
SloStang said:
Cal Poly's first six are also brutal.
@ Montana
@ Arizona State
Northern Iowa
@ Montana State
Idaho State
@ Eastern Washington.

I have nothing but respect for Cal Poly. I worry about that game just as much as NDSU. But, wow, you guys do have a brutal schedule!

CP could theoretically start the season 0-6. Wow...
Or they can go 5-1. Wow... The only sure loss I see is ASU. They went 2-1 against the three teams from that list they faced in 2014. Looking at Montana's first 4 games they could theoretically could start the season 0-4. Wow...I do not think Montana will start 0-4 just like I do not believe Cal Poly will start 0-6. I think both Cal Poly and Montana will contend for the Big Sky Championship along with MSU and EWU.

Agreed. I'm not baggin' on CP....they were a tough out last year, obviously. Just saying that is a BRUTAL start to any year....and it wouldn't be impossible to go 0-6. In fact, that's a lot more likely than going 6-0. I think you definitely win the last three (MSU, ISU, EWU)....not sure about UM & UNI.

Clearly we need fewer 3 and 4 play drives and more 2 play drives. The defense can spend even more time on the field that way.

grizcountry420 said:
THE HERD said:
brewskis said:

Well then, perhaps you (HERD) should worry about NDSU's apparent inability to put away an obviously weaker team AT HOME.

AZGrizFan said:
grizcountry420 said:
THE HERD said:
brewskis said:

Well then, perhaps you (HERD) should worry about NDSU's apparent inability to put away an obviously weaker team AT HOME.

They let off the pedal.. It could have been a lot worse than what it really was. Montana isnt the same team they use to be. I guess it just takes people a little longer to figure that out.. I will always root for Montana though but i dont walk around with maroon sunglasses on all of the time.

grizcountry420 said:
They let off the pedal.. It could have been a lot worse than what it really was. Montana isnt the same team they use to be. I guess it just takes people a little longer to figure that out..

Really? How so? And when, exactly? They couldn't finish in the red zone in the first half...was their foot on the pedal then? They intercepted the ball in the end zone with 2:55 left in the third quarter that would have made it a 19-17 game then went 5 and out and 7 and out on their next 2 drives before the backbreaker 13 play drive against an exhausted D that sealed the deal....

The Griz had drives of 3, 3, 3, 2, 11, 3, 12 (INT), 4, 4, and 4 plays. THAT'S how you exhaust a Defense (your own).

They let off the pedal.. It could have been a lot worse than what it really was. Montana isnt the same team they use to be. I guess it just takes people a little longer to figure that out.. I will always root for Montana though but i dont walk around with maroon sunglasses on all of the time.[/quote]

Go back and watch the game, they chewed up the clock, they never let off the pedal or changed their game plan. They simply beat us and our offense was bad. And seriously dude, we just hired a new coach and are entering a new era. That's what everybody has been waiting for. It has nothing to do with maroon colored glasses. It's the recognition that we are are beginning a new season with a new offensive philosohpy, and it fits what people have been wanting. You can point to the past for both positives and negatives, but you can't transpose last year's results to predict the future. Enjoy the ride. Lots of positive things happening in the Montana football (and basketball for that matter) program right now.

grizcountry420 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

We got bitch slapped in that game. Time to move on, its WAY in the past.. Good lord!

Yes, that game and both of the 2014 teams are in the past. I will say, however, your comment above talks about Montana (present tense) not being the same team it used to be. That my be true, but it may not be true. The fact is none of us know how 2015 is going to turn out. We know the D will be good and the O will be a question mark. Will they beat NDSU? I don't know but I can guarantee you that the team will absolutely believe they will beat NDSU when they step on the field in August, and they just might do it. It's certainly not out of the question. Montana may not be the program it used to be, but it is damn sure on the way back up to where it used to be. The only question is how long it takes them to get there. I have not doubt Stitt and these coaches will have them playing at their peak (whatever that happens to be at the time) when they tee it up against the Bison. I happen to think the Griz have a decent chance of making a statement to the rest of the country against NDSU. And if they don't that day, then it will happen as the 2015 season progresses.

Go Griz!

get'em_griz said:
THE HERD said:
brewskis said:

Well yeah, it's not competitive when the offense keeps giving the ball away. IMO, Montana's defense did amazing for how long they were on the field, and a lot of that time on the field is due to Montana's offense's inability to move the ball. Yes, NDSU had something to do with that, but Montana had issues all season putting together long drives. It would have been interesting to see how much closer the game could have been if the offense was even average and able to move the ball more consistently. Here's look at each possession for Montana against NDSU last year, which shows just how long UM's defense was on the field.

If our offense performs better than last year, and that's the hope for all of us, then this game will be much more competitive.

I'm not sure of the yards per half, but we had it 20 minutes the first half and 19 the second half. So, we held the ball just as long when your D was supposedly fresh as we did when they were exhausted. I do agree your D was on the field a long time, but the fact remains that they got it ran down thier throats the whole game, thats why I've posted before about your Dline needing to be much better this game to have a chance. Your new offense might be excellent, but if they are standing on the sideline watching it really won't matter.

Brand new offensive system incorporating a ton of change, with an unathletic QB that looks and runs like a giraffe....ya, "excellent" and the griz offense will definitely not go together. NDSU will absolutely destroy the griz, with the end game stats favoring the Bizon even more than last year. Griz fans are high as f.ck if they think they win this game. Period. End thread.

IroneagleXP said:
Brand new offensive system incorporating a ton of change, with an unathletic QB that looks and runs like a giraffe....ya, "excellent" and the griz offense will definitely not go together. NDSU will absolutely destroy the griz, with the end game stats favoring the Bizon even more than last year. Griz fans are high as f.ck if they think they win this game. Period. End thread.

Really, "with an unathletic QB that looks and runs like a giraffe"...what are you in the fifth grade, or an EWU grad??? Rhetorical question really...

You sound a little butt hurt. Can only imagine what your posts on EWU's site consisted of regarding the QB that ditched u. Probably something like, without an athletic QB that looks and runs like LeftEye...blah, blah, blah, Eagle fans are methed out as f.ck if they think they win the BSC again. Period. :thumb:

IroneagleXP said:

You sound pretty confident. I'm willing to wager the usual: If the Griz lose I owe you $20. But if the Bison lose you have to blow as many homeless people during the summer months of downtown Cheney as you can.

OH Hell No! Lets just forfeit! This new offense, new QB, we can't beat anyone, better just forget this season and wait until next year!

Who came up with this thread? If we couldn't win we wouldn't play the game. Yes we can win, I believe we will win! Maroon glasses or not. I believe in this coach and these kids and I give them all my 100% support!

Go Griz!

Back