• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Expectations for this season

sdk.catfish said:
Unread post by Copper Griz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:07 pm

Spanky wrote: ↑Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:58 pm
Til I die: we will see. Northern Colorado and Montana State were both Division 2 level opponents last year.
Really? Come on Spanky. You sound ridiculous with this post. SImply ridiculous. Every damn poster on egriz (absent the MSU fans) knows state has been D2 for some time now.

Given the debacle last November where does that put us?

Where we have been since Pflu was fired. Rebuilding. The point is - state has been rebuilding since 1946 or whenever their last championship was. The Griz have continued to make facility improvements during a tenuous time and this staffs recruiting is fantastic.

Copper Griz said:
sdk.catfish said:

Til I die: we will see. Northern Colorado and Montana State were both Division 2 level opponents last year.
Really? Come on Spanky. You sound ridiculous with this post. SImply ridiculous. Every damn poster on egriz (absent the MSU fans) knows state has been D2 for some time now.

Where we have been since Pflu was fired. Rebuilding. The point is - state has been rebuilding since 1946 or whenever their last championship was. The Griz have continued to make facility improvements during a tenuous time and this staffs recruiting is fantastic.

Agree, but this is definitely the year we need to start seeing the results on the field. That doesn't mean a national title or even an appearance, but 6-5 and no playoffs won't cut it for long.

Htowngriz said:
Copper Griz said:
sdk.catfish said:

Agree, but this is definitely the year we need to start seeing the results on the field. That doesn't mean a national title or even an appearance, but 6-5 and no playoffs won't cut it for long.
I think the expectation of beat state and make the playoffs is fair and very doable given the schedule. This is the year the program needs to turn the corner

Copper Griz said:
Htowngriz said:
Copper Griz said:
sdk.catfish said:

I think the expectation of beat state and make the playoffs is fair and very doable given the schedule. This is the year the program needs to turn the corner

Those are my minimum expectations for every year.

Realistically I think 7-4 is possible. However with both EWU & UND here, if we get out of Seattle relatively unscathed I could see a great year at 9-2 with the only losses being to UW and Weebs.

Admittedly the Griz will need a lot of favorable breaks for that to happen, ( like a Gubrud broken arm, a Santiago broken ankle and a Murray broken tibia 😉!).

(For those of you who might not get the sarcasm in the that last bit I submit this disclaimer indicating that I am not advocating violence against or hoping that any of the young men mentioned do sustain bodily injury.).

9/2/17 Valparaiso WIN
9/9/17 at Washington LOSS
9/16/17 Savannah State WIN
9/23/17 Eastern Washington LOSS
9/30/17 at Portland State LOSS
10/7/17 at Idaho State WIN
10/14/17 North Dakota WIN
10/28/17 at Weber State WIN
11/4/17 Northern Arizona WIN
11/11/17 Northern Colorado WIN
11/18/17 at Montana State WIN

Shaky start. E. Wash is still too talented and griz havn't gotten the swager back yet. Portland gives us fits and Semore can't figure it out, similar to Cal Poly.

We get things going at Idaho State and win a close one at home to NoDak.
Weber state stays close till the end and we pull away.
NAU never beats us at our home. They lay a duck and we build on a big win here and go on a tear.
Stomp NCU and MSU and ride high going into the playoffs.

At this point our O-line is playing great, QB position is settled in and Hill is turning heads. Calhoun stays healthy and is playing great football with the extra depth at RB helping out greatly.

Wideouts are playing like veterans and are grabbing everything in their reach. JLM is 1st team Big sky.

Defense is mixing things up and playing great football especially in the secondary.

Valparaiso-W
Washington-L
Savannah State-W
Eastern Washington-W.
Split with Portland State and Weber State, on the road,= pick your poison?
North Dakota-W.
Idaho State-W.
NAU-W.
Northern Colorado-W.
Kittykats-W.
8-2 *Win BSC (outright).
*Beat Kittykats.
*Win 2 playoff games....* Coach Stitt the "X" factor!
* We need to hire an OC so, coach, Stitt can watch the whole program! (special teams ,offense and defence.. We have the talent to win 10 games...We must be better on offense and special teams! I believe we can get 10 wins if coach Stitt will hire an offensive coordinator and start managing all three disciplines!!! The Grizzlies are "Montana!
*"Go Griz!"

i_the_sky said:
Valparaiso-W
Washington-L
Savannah State-W
Eastern Washington-W.
North Dakota-W.
Idaho State-W.
NAU-W.
Northern Colorado-W.
Kittykats-W.
8-2 *Win BSC (outright).
*Beat Kittykats.
* We need to hire an OC so, coach, Stitt can watch the whole program! (special teams ,offense and defence.. We have the talent to win 10 games...We must be better on offense and special teams! I believe we can get 10 wins if coach Stitt will hire an offensive coordinator and start managing all three disciplines!!! The Grizzlies are "Montana!
*"Go Griz!"

1. There will be no hiring of an OC. Period.

2. You're the 2nd person I've seen refer to Stitt as the "X-Factor."
Defined as:
A. A noteworthy special talent or
B. A quality or a variable in a given situation that could have the most significant impact on the outcome.

Which one of the above do you think fits Stitt as the "X-Factor?"

i am not sure what you all are talking about when it comes to players needed for the system etc etc.
as of oct 31st last year with idaho state, unc and msu left to play the griz were 2-3 in conference and 5-3 overall, still ranked #19 in top 25 fcs poll, 2nd in scoring offense, 9th in rushing offense, 2nd in scoring defense, 2nd in scoring defense, 2nd in pass offense, 3rd in total offense, 2nd in pass defense, 1st in total defense, middle of the pack for turnover margin.
How does this equate to not having the players last year? We will lose approx 5-6 starters on defense and
approx 5 on offense, so the majority of the starters from last year will be returning especially on offense since 2 of these players were gus and nguyen.
imo, i conclude that we have had the players and continued to pick up good players to fill the gaps that returning griz cannot fill and that it is more than not having the players and it will show this to be the case just as much this year.
a good manager can make an average team a good team by knowing how to use their existing skill, smarts and savvy levels to perform and giving them a solid game plan to succeed.
case in point.....look to last years national champs.....first year coach used what he had and used it well.
waiting for the perfect moment is just waiting for the perfect moment. where do montanans feel right with pussy footing around intellectualizing to recruit the right mix, we have had good players every year, just ask Brint, George and a few others who have touted this all along, we have had some good coaches, not every year, but most of them.
so my expectations are not higher than last year and i was surprised that we finished 6-5. we have the talent to finish with a better record this year, unfortunately it takes more than talent to run the machine.

Recruiting has been very good. Talent and potential are just that until they are blended together in a well managed team that is consistently coached in the basics of the game.
Lets hope this team will be managed and coached to a very high standard.

one can only hope.....would feel more confident if it was, say, somebody like Pflu at the helm. 15-20 bubble passes a game, hoping for a breakaway, cuz the blocking schemes were not there and then run for a yard or two, again due to poor blocking assignments or tutoring does not seem all that complicated, since most of it is built on the premise that you should gain yards by getting lucky. we could all see from the stands what was coming only thing we did not know is if someone would miss a tackle or jerry was going to dodge tacklers for a 20+yard gain. chance and individual skill not necessarily a team plan.
it could have been that the plays were brilliant and the execution was bad, then that is on the team.
however, after 15+ times a game how many times can you get it wrong on execution?

zirge said:
one can only hope.....would feel more confident if it was, say, somebody like Pflu at the helm. 15-20 bubble passes a game, hoping for a breakaway, cuz the blocking schemes were not there and then run for a yard or two, again due to poor blocking assignments or tutoring does not seem all that complicated, since most of it is built on the premise that you should gain yards by getting lucky. we could all see from the stands what was coming only thing we did not know is if someone would miss a tackle or jerry was going to dodge tacklers for a 20+yard gain. chance and individual skill not necessarily a team plan.
it could have been that the plays were brilliant and the execution was bad, then that is on the team.
however, after 15+ times a game how many times can you get it wrong on execution?

15+ times if you have a predictable QB running scared running the offense

horribilisfan8184 said:
zirge said:

For both of your reasons I am looking forward to this years O. For once again we will have a QB that can run the ball. That will open up so much, think JJ.

With all that talent........

zirge said:
i am not sure what you all are talking about when it comes to players needed for the system etc etc.
as of oct 31st last year with idaho state, unc and msu left to play the griz were 2-3 in conference and 5-3 overall, still ranked #19 in top 25 fcs poll, 2nd in scoring offense, 9th in rushing offense, 2nd in scoring defense, 2nd in scoring defense, 2nd in pass offense, 3rd in total offense, 2nd in pass defense, 1st in total defense, middle of the pack for turnover margin.
How does this equate to not having the players last year? We will lose approx 5-6 starters on defense and
approx 5 on offense, so the majority of the starters from last year will be returning especially on offense since 2 of these players were gus and nguyen.
imo, i conclude that we have had the players and continued to pick up good players to fill the gaps that returning griz cannot fill and that it is more than not having the players and it will show this to be the case just as much this year.
a good manager can make an average team a good team by knowing how to use their existing skill, smarts and savvy levels to perform and giving them a solid game plan to succeed.
case in point.....look to last years national champs.....first year coach used what he had and used it well.
waiting for the perfect moment is just waiting for the perfect moment. where do montanans feel right with pussy footing around intellectualizing to recruit the right mix, we have had good players every year, just ask Brint, George and a few others who have touted this all along, we have had some good coaches, not every year, but most of them.
so my expectations are not higher than last year and i was surprised that we finished 6-5. we have the talent to finish with a better record this year, unfortunately it takes more than talent to run the machine.

in reading your last two post I found myself nodding in agreement as I believe were well well stated and thought out....we are as ready as ready gets, time for the show to begin.

fanofzoo said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
zirge said:

For both of your reasons I am looking forward to this years O. For once again we will have a QB that can run the ball. That will open up so much, think JJ.

With all that talent........

krammer said:
zirge said:

in reading your last two post I found myself nodding in agreement as I believe were well well stated and thought out....we are as ready as ready gets, time for the show to begin.
thanks for consolidating my attempt

The_Real_Chief said:
Grizzly Oredigger said:
9/2/17 Valparaiso WIN
9/23/17 Eastern Washington WIN
9/30/17 at Portland State WIN
10/28/17 at Weber State LOSS

9-2 - Mainly because of how the schedule shakes out and when/who we play at home. I'm actually more concerned about UND at home than EWU. I think if they finish 9-2 you're looking at a top 8 seed and a bye in the playoffs. Ultimately, you have to hope that the Griz will learn from their painful lessons a season ago and play through the whole season and not overlook any games.

Whats the rational behind the Weber loss? I didn't know they were expected to be good this year?

I feel as if we struggle at Weber, even when we do pull out W's (going off of memory)...I'd be happy with a W there obviously coming out of a bye week.

i_the_sky said:
Valparaiso-W
Washington-L
Savannah State-W
Eastern Washington-W.
North Dakota-W.
Idaho State-W.
NAU-W.
Northern Colorado-W.
Kittykats-W.
8-2 *Win BSC (outright).
*Beat Kittykats.
*"Go Griz!"

Again...... I am only here to bring a bit of levity to the board. You should stop doing this to yourselves, expecting impossible things and living in the past. It will only bring you angst as the season unfolds. I can promise you.... PROMISE you - you will not beat EWU, UND, NAU, and MSU. Not a chance in hell. And ISU and UNC aren't gimmies as they've shown you recently.

poorgriz said:
i_the_sky said:
Valparaiso-W
Washington-L
Savannah State-W
Eastern Washington-W.
North Dakota-W.
Idaho State-W.
NAU-W.
Northern Colorado-W.
Kittykats-W.
8-2 *Win BSC (outright).
*Beat Kittykats.
*"Go Griz!"

Again...... I am only here to bring a bit of levity to the board. You should stop doing this to yourselves, expecting impossible things and living in the past. It will only bring you angst as the season unfolds. I can promise you.... PROMISE you - you will not beat EWU, UND, NAU, and MSU. Not a chance in hell. And ISU and UNC aren't gimmies as they've shown you recently.
Ya ok. We're gonna lose to all of those ridiculous teams, but yet you guys are gonna go 11-0 and win the National Championship. Please! These predictions aren't nearly as insane as the predictions I've seen on litter box nation. You go 4-7 last year and have a good win against the griz, and all of a sudden you guys are the New England Patriots. I've seen multiple people on litter box nation say you guys are not gonna beat Washington state or SDSU... I can GUARANTEE you, you guys will not win either of those games. Want my prediction? I the sky gives a way more realistic prediction than you and I actually do believe we will go 9-2. The cats will go 4-7, 4 of those losses will come after the first four games of the season. Now take your nonsense back to litter box nation while we concentrate on actually putting a really good season together. WE ARE MONTANA.

Grizzly Oredigger said:
The_Real_Chief said:
Grizzly Oredigger said:
9/2/17 Valparaiso WIN
9/23/17 Eastern Washington WIN
9/30/17 at Portland State WIN
10/28/17 at Weber State LOSS

9-2 - Mainly because of how the schedule shakes out and when/who we play at home. I'm actually more concerned about UND at home than EWU. I think if they finish 9-2 you're looking at a top 8 seed and a bye in the playoffs. Ultimately, you have to hope that the Griz will learn from their painful lessons a season ago and play through the whole season and not overlook any games.

Whats the rational behind the Weber loss? I didn't know they were expected to be good this year?

I feel as if we struggle at Weber, even when we do pull out W's (going off of memory)...I'd be happy with a W there obviously coming out of a bye week.

No I get that, Weber is never an easy W on the road for us it seems like.

Latest posts

Back