• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Faculty ask for reconsideration of Hauck hire

Glendivegriz said:
signedbewildered said:
*Elizabeth Hubble
*Anya Jabour
*Bryan Cochran
*Rayna Sage
*Tobin Miller Shearer
*Sara Hayden
*Kathy Kuipers
*Hiltrud Arens
*Brady Harrison
*Betsy Bach
*Tammy Ravas
*Neva Hassanein
*Celia Winkler
*Daisy Rooks
*Megan Stark
*Chris Fiore
*Teresa Sobieszczyk
*Greg Larson
*Alison Pepper
*Dan Spencer
*John DeBoer
*Phil Condon
*Patrick Burke
*Allen Szalda-Petree
*Jill Belsky
*Sarah Halvorson
*David Shively

Good god this is a slippery slope folks. Does the star chamber faculty now get to approve all hires? Have we looked into all aspects of their lives? What if one of their children has had a run in with the law? Do we fire them on the spot? What if their spouse gets a DUI? Are they really capable of teaching our younger people? Are any of these folks advisers and if so, are they making sure their assigned students are upholding the standards they have established for others?
I really think we need to cull the faculty herd and I have 28 nominations for the new President.

i know a couple of people on this list. they are intelligent, good people. and Griz fans. i think their concerns for the hire partially stem from funding cuts (read: faculty cuts) which were directly related to the drop in enrollment. if UM took another hit like that they would be very concerned about losing their own jobs, and i'm sure some felt the squeeze from the last round. having an open forum with coach Hauck might be just what this situation needs. he's an adult, and if you are a collegiate football coach I think you can handle some pointed questions from concerned faculty members.

EverettGriz said:
RobGriz said:
grizpack said:
I know 3 of the individuals on this list. I assure you they are about as liberal as they come. I know that 2 of them are vocally against athletics, and feel that everything wrong at the university stems from the "devaluing of a liberal arts education" (Their words....)
Well, by charging $75,000 to learn something that pays $35,000 the liberal arts education is devaluing itself.

I have a liberal arts degree. And I can assure you I make a figure far in excess of $35,000. Liberal arts includes far more than interpretive dance, people.
Sure, I get that. I also have a lib arts degree, I’ve never used it but the military paid for it. My wife has a liberal arts degree. I’ll be paying for it until I’m 55.

Don’t all students have faculty advisors in their field of study? Are these advisors also culpable for encouraging whatever behaviors their mentees exhibit, good and bad?

And also, it seems like these faculty are pooping in their lunch bucket as many of us not only support Griz Athletics but also contribute to Academics.

Simple questions...

What right do they have to ask? Is it in their contract to have an opinion on all hires at UM?

I know one on that list thats a self proclaim drug user when they were in college. Should that end their job at UM?

This world is screwed up... and common sense has been flushed right down shiter.

mtgriz said:
Don’t all students have faculty advisors in their field of study? Are these advisors also culpable for encouraging whatever behaviors their mentees exhibit, good and bad?

Great question... one name on that list WAS my college advisor.

mtgriz said:

While a stretch, I suppose the argument could be made. The primary difference, of course, is that the academic advisers didn't recruit those kids to campus.

mtgriz said:

Ouch,

Well Played

No surprise here! Our faculty is made up of morons!!!(Royce Engstrom is probably the chair here?) Seth Bodnar will have his hands full with this lot! Just when we think we are headed in the right direction this crap surfaces,, "BOOM" No wonder the athletic department is respected more than the faculty at UM hopefully this lot will be on the buy out WATCH
list!!!

BozAngelesGriz said:
Glendivegriz said:
signedbewildered said:
*Elizabeth Hubble
*Anya Jabour
*Bryan Cochran
*Rayna Sage
*Tobin Miller Shearer
*Sara Hayden
*Kathy Kuipers
*Hiltrud Arens
*Brady Harrison
*Betsy Bach
*Tammy Ravas
*Neva Hassanein
*Celia Winkler
*Daisy Rooks
*Megan Stark
*Chris Fiore
*Teresa Sobieszczyk
*Greg Larson
*Alison Pepper
*Dan Spencer
*John DeBoer
*Phil Condon
*Patrick Burke
*Allen Szalda-Petree
*Jill Belsky
*Sarah Halvorson
*David Shively

Good god this is a slippery slope folks. Does the star chamber faculty now get to approve all hires? Have we looked into all aspects of their lives? What if one of their children has had a run in with the law? Do we fire them on the spot? What if their spouse gets a DUI? Are they really capable of teaching our younger people? Are any of these folks advisers and if so, are they making sure their assigned students are upholding the standards they have established for others?
I really think we need to cull the faculty herd and I have 28 nominations for the new President.

i know a couple of people on this list. they are intelligent, good people. and Griz fans. i think their concerns for the hire partially stem from funding cuts (read: faculty cuts) which were directly related to the drop in enrollment. if UM took another hit like that they would be very concerned about losing their own jobs, and i'm sure some felt the squeeze from the last round. having an open forum with coach Hauck might be just what this situation needs. he's an adult, and if you are a collegiate football coach I think you can handle some pointed questions from concerned faculty members.

This isn't 6th grade dating... Why the hell does Hauck have to meet with those fools. That is a stupid request, one of the dumbest I have read.

Let’s be real... this has as much to do with Trump and the national butt hurt feelings of liberals as it does Bobby Hauck.

Cry babies got their feelers hurt.

84GRIZ said:
BWahlberg said:
Their concerns are fair and I'm sure this is something that Hauck, Haslam, Bodnar, and Stearns discussed at length. Asking for the hire to be reconsidered is a little silly, IMO. However I think their alternate suggestion of having meetings with Hauck/Haslam to discuss concerns and remedies are perfectly fine.

They had to know this was coming, and then add in the firestorm that was whipped up because of it (I see they're asking for Schlosser's season tix to be revoked), it probably brought on extra concern.

I find it amazing that it is always the football team and Hauck and Robin Pflugrad that get castrated and blamed for everything that is wrong at U of M and nobody ever mentions the Saudi that by all accounts was a serial rapist that Royce Engstrom's administration basically let skip town. The gutless weasel canned Robin and Jim O'Day to save his ass. Royce Engstom's presidency at U of M was an absolute disaster and that is why U of M is where they are today.

They also still bring up Jordan Johnson like he was a convicted rapist instead of the victim of a stalker for all intensive purposes and the related political climate created by the Missoulian. What did it take the jury, an hour and 20 minutes to find him not guilty including lunch?

:clap:

EverettGriz said:
mtgriz said:

While a stretch, I suppose the argument could be made. The primary difference, of course, is that the academic advisers didn't recruit those kids to campus.

Ah, the “when does college life begin?” question. At recruitment, or matriculation?

Was enrollment at an all time high during the dominating period of Griz Football?
Was donations to athletics and education higher during the run?
Was anyone hired during that time to help with the influx of students at that time??

A faculty member does not need to like sports hell they can hate them, however to not recognize the importance and impact athletics have on a university is ridiculous!

Listening to the BSU president he will tell you that the Bronco Football team is the no.1 reason the enrollment has grown, which has allowed new buildings to be built and better faculty attracted to the University. In the end BSU has become a bigger and better university and the value of a degree compared to 15-20 has increased.

griz5700 said:
Let’s be real... this has as much to do with Trump and the national butt hurt feelings of liberals as it does Bobby Hauck.

Disagree totally!

I support the Hauck hiring, but consider Trump to be a lying con-artist. One has nothing to do with the other. Keep politics out of a college football forum.

EverettGriz said:
mtgriz said:

In certain situations, it is a valid analogy. For instance, my friend chose his graduate school as a direct result of the recruitment by the dean of admissions and one professor. I've yet to see them pay for his 2010 bigamy charge in Vegas (acquitted!), or his pending charge for the "illegal" importing of ocelot wigs. They clearly hate all ocelots.

GrizRanger said:
griz5700 said:

Disagree totally!

I support the Hauck hiring, but consider Trump to be a lying con-artist. One has nothing to do with the other. Keep politics out of a college football forum.

+1

signedbewildered said:
*Elizabeth Hubble
*Anya Jabour
*Bryan Cochran
*Rayna Sage
*Tobin Miller Shearer
*Sara Hayden
*Kathy Kuipers
*Hiltrud Arens
*Brady Harrison
*Betsy Bach
*Tammy Ravas
*Neva Hassanein
*Celia Winkler
*Daisy Rooks
*Megan Stark
*Chris Fiore
*Teresa Sobieszczyk
*Greg Larson
*Alison Pepper
*Dan Spencer
*John DeBoer
*Phil Condon
*Patrick Burke
*Allen Szalda-Petree
*Jill Belsky
*Sarah Halvorson
*David Shively

Cry some more losers. Here's the deal, when someone who is not an athlete commits a crime or heck if they flunk you class..............YOU SHOULD ALSO BE FIRED!!! Oh and be prepared for a wake up call to the adult/real world when a real President runs the UM!! GO GRIZ!!!!

Wa-Griz Stadium holds 25,217 seats and that counts as 25,217 signatures in support of the UM Athletic Department, the Grizzly coaches and the players every time the Griz suit up on a Saturday afternoon in Missoula. The opinions of 28 disgruntled faculty members who are upset with the decision made by UM Administrators who are in charge of this decision (the AD, UM President & Commissioner of Higher Ed) don't really matter. These faculty don't have a say in the hiring and/or firing of anyone on campus, not even the janitor. While they are free to express their opinions, their opinions really don't amount to squat when it comes to the actual decision makers. It is not incumbent upon the Athletic Department to even respond to this letter/petition. It has no merit whatsoever, legally or otherwise. As a GSA member, booster and vocal supporter and volunteer for Grizzly Athletics, I am simply going to dismiss this as the nonsense that it is. The vast support for Coach Hauck in the Athletic Department and Main Hall, as well as among the fan base, is all that really matters. As long as Wa-Griz is full on game day the naysayers can eat crow.

StittHappened said:
These liberal arts professors need to look at themselves in the mirror if they think Hauck is to blame for declining enrollment at the university.

Well I gues you could blame him a little. Enrollement usually is up when the football team is winning. Montana won a lot less after Bobby left for UNLV. 😄

i_the_sky said:
No surprise here! These faculty are morons!!!(Royce Engstrom, just might be, the chair here?) Seth Bodnar will have his hands full with this lot! Just when we think we are headed in the right direction this crap surfaces,, "BOOM" No wonder the athletic department is respected so much more than the faculty at UM.. Hopefully these rebels on are on the buy out list! Obstructionist' sound familiar? So much blame has been directed toward the student athletes when in fact piss- poor leadership, at the top, has been the problem!!! Go Griz! Welcome home Bobby Hauck and family!!! :) :)
"Go Griz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back