• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Fire Mick D.

indian-outlaw said:
I think our issues do boil down to the O-line and the coaches stubbornness to go away from the power running game. Our o-line is capable with the right game plan. More timing slants, misdirection and zone reads, less straight up between the tackes and slow developing reciever routes. I do like MD but he is a little stubborn.

+10000000

Eriul said:
MrTitleist said:
B_Kross said:
Ultimately, Delaney's biggest weakness as a coach is that he is trying to apply a very antiquated, power-run style of football when A. We don't have the playmakers to actually make an offense like that work. B. He's looking to the past for guidance when other college programs are adopting spread-type offenses, even the classic pro-sets are seeing more use of screen passes and such.

Overall, Delaney would probably be a good coach in say, the 60's and 70's, but his outdated style of management just doesn't fit in this day and age. Yes there are other factors like the staff's lack of adjustments and poor execution, but those are my :twocents:

Yet, NDSU, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Stanford and to a lesser extent, Alabama use this style of offense... it's not antiquated, and still used by very successful programs. What we lack is a fullback, true tight ends, and an offensive line who isn't beat to hell.

Actually Wisconsin and Stanford run a much different type of run game and our fullback is actually inredibly good. It might be hard to see when he has to block 3 people the o line missed though...

Do they run much different than we do?

stubbins said:
MrTitleist said:
B_Kross said:
Ultimately, Delaney's biggest weakness as a coach is that he is trying to apply a very antiquated, power-run style of football when A. We don't have the playmakers to actually make an offense like that work. B. He's looking to the past for guidance when other college programs are adopting spread-type offenses, even the classic pro-sets are seeing more use of screen passes and such.

Overall, Delaney would probably be a good coach in say, the 60's and 70's, but his outdated style of management just doesn't fit in this day and age. Yes there are other factors like the staff's lack of adjustments and poor execution, but those are my :twocents:

Yet, NDSU, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Stanford and to a lesser extent, Alabama use this style of offense... it's not antiquated, and still used by very successful programs. What we lack is a fullback, true tight ends, and an offensive line who isn't beat to hell.
Even the god of boring football, Nicky Saban has started implementing parts of the spread option...it's the future of football, make the defense cover the whole field and make decisions. Griz are going backwards...50% of Griz nation knew it the day he was hired, and 75% knew it the day he announced he was changing offenses...

I'll take the boring football and 3x national champions any day of the week. But yes, you're right, and why I said "to a lesser extent." Lane Kiffin brought parts of the zone-read offense to Alabama, which makes them even more dangerous.

Paytonlives said:
I have major concerns over our coaching.

Offense:
Why do the Griz coaches continue to run the ball on first down. The last several games it has been easy to see that the WR and backs are playmakers when in space. When the Griz drop back and throw good things happen... Lately it has been very easy to guess what the Griz O will run. VERY EASY, almost as bad as the Larry Donovan days.

Defense:
Letting the same play gash you over and over is not good coaching. The crazy thing is he ran it the same side 95% of the time. No adjustments in game or at half. Poor coaching

Special Teams:
Please get No Go out of there and put Van in... That kid is not ready to produce as a kick returner. Starting inside the 20 hurts any Offense.

Look I know I am not perfect, but the coaching this year has been very suspect. They are not making simple adjustments that any coaching staff would try.

these are easy questions........
offense.......we know when the griz are going to run a and when they are going to pass..if you change that up it would unpredictable........possible advantage: griz

defense......tonight it was over pursuit by our safties and great execution and coaching preparation by the opponent that made their plays so successful

special teams.....there has been a few suggestions on this board to replace our return man, but that would also stray from the status quo of knowing and playing the game....which most of us have never done so who are we to say.

This team has performed horribly in the second half I can't say for sure it's all coaching but it's opposite of hauk's teams

MrTitleist said:
Eriul said:
MrTitleist said:
B_Kross said:

Actually Wisconsin and Stanford run a much different type of run game and our fullback is actually inredibly good. It might be hard to see when he has to block 3 people the o line missed though...

Do they run much different than we do?

Yes. They do it for positive yardage.

Gentlemen, Gentlemen....we got beat by a much better team. That shouldn't result in firing Mick who is doing a good job with the talent he has. The team, however, has many superior athletes on both offense and defense, but without quality OL play can't produce a consistent running game. Is that Mick's fault? I don't think so.

Spanky said:
Gentlemen, Gentlemen....we got beat by a much better team. That shouldn't result in firing Mick who is doing a good job with the talent he has. The team, however, has many superior athletes on both offense and defense, but without quality OL play can't produce a consistent running game. Is that Mick's fault? I don't think so.

It is apologists like you, who refuse to accept reality, that will keep this program on the decline.

You guys don't even see why you lost this game. I watched it and saw the same thing I saw in the NDSU game. Your defense is not very good at stopping the run.

421 yards on the ground and a 10 minute TOP. I don't care if you have EWU's offense. When you can't stop a ground control offense and give up that kind of yards and TOP, you will not win games.

I started to wonder if the Griz were rehearsing for a move up -- to the CFL... I mean, get rid of that pesky extra (i.e. first) down then try to make long yardage on just two downs. It was just as boring to watch.

2011BisonAlumni said:
You guys don't even see why you lost this game. I watched it and saw the same thing I saw in the NDSU game. Your defense is not very good at stopping the run.

421 yards on the ground and a 10 minute TOP. I don't care if you have EWU's offense. When you can't stop a ground control offense and give up that kind of yards and TOP, you will not win games.
When an offense can't move the ball and forces a defense to be on the field more often they tend to give up more yardage because they get tired.

Fahque said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

When an offense can't move the ball and forces a defense to be on the field more often they tend to give up more yardage because they get tired.

Chicken and the egg argument.

I have seen NDSU ply attroctious offense and still win games. The two good running offenses that the Griz played against this year, they were tourched.

I saw a ton of missed tackles and horrible angles taken by your defensive players. I also saw a lot of kids playing on their heels and waiting for contact to come. Montana will struggle to win games against any successful ground control team.

2011BisonAlumni said:
Fahque said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

I have seen NDSU ply attroctious offense and still win games. The two good running offenses that the Griz played against this year, they were tourched.

I saw a ton of missed tackles and horrible angles taken by your defensive players. I also saw a lot of kids playing on their heels and waiting for contact to come. Montana will struggle to win games against any successful ground control team.
Lack of a defense appears to work for MSU and, until yesterday, ewu. The difference? Those two teams can score points. The GRIZ, not so much.

2011BisonAlumni said:
Fahque said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

You are correct of course, but don't refute per-conceived notions by stating facts.

indian-outlaw said:
I think our issues do boil down to the O-line and the coaches stubbornness to go away from the power running game. Our o-line is capable with the right game plan. More timing slants, misdirection and zone reads, less straight up between the tackes and slow developing reciever routes. I do like MD but he is a little stubborn.

I agree with everything said except the adjective "little" with regard to MD's stubborness. May I suggest "foolishly" as an appropriate substitute.

B_Kross said:

Exactly.

2011bison nailed it. How many times did you see our D flying all around Cal Poly's QB or RB grabbing at air because of poor angles of attack or over pursuing . Our Defense was porous at best. It is an old saying but it's a time tested one, " Defense wins games". Hopefully we will see a change up against Sac.St.. Hang in there Griz.

BornaGriz said:
2011bison nailed it. How many times did you see our D flying all around Cal Poly's QB or RB grabbing at air because of poor angles of attack or over pursuing . Our Defense was porous at best. It is an old saying but it's a time tested one, " Defense wins games". Hopefully we will see a change up against Sac.St.. Hang in there Griz.

Was the defense over playing because they felt the offensive design would not score points. This argument gets back to coaching and if it is not working it is time to change the coach.

2011BisonAlumni said:
Fahque said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

I don't disagree entirely. Though we did manage to stop them fairly well...at least according to their average...in the first half. And, you surely can't dispute that when a defense is forced to remain on the field for as long as they were last night that they tend to get tired and surrender more yardage. Our lack of in/mid game adjustments doesn't help either.

Back