• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Fire Mick D.

2011BisonAlumni said:
You guys don't even see why you lost this game. I watched it and saw the same thing I saw in the NDSU game. Your defense is not very good at stopping the run.

421 yards on the ground and a 10 minute TOP. I don't care if you have EWU's offense. When you can't stop a ground control offense and give up that kind of yards and TOP, you will not win games.

Does any team win TOP against a ground control offense?

AZGrizFan said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
You guys don't even see why you lost this game. I watched it and saw the same thing I saw in the NDSU game. Your defense is not very good at stopping the run.

421 yards on the ground and a 10 minute TOP. I don't care if you have EWU's offense. When you can't stop a ground control offense and give up that kind of yards and TOP, you will not win games.

Yep. You make stops on defense. NDSU does it regularly.

If I am UM, I am much more concerned at this point about the ability to stop the run. You scored 21 points on offense last night. Not exactly lights out offense, but 21 points is enough to win a game if you can stop the other team from running it down your throat.

BornaGriz said:
2011bison nailed it. How many times did you see our D flying all around Cal Poly's QB or RB grabbing at air because of poor angles of attack or over pursuing . Our Defense was porous at best. It is an old saying but it's a time tested one, " Defense wins games". Hopefully we will see a change up against Sac.St.. Hang in there Griz.

Yep, we got beat by a team that had better execution. The problem is why they had better execution. Coaching.

I remember Bwahlberg defending this staff before the season started. I said then they weren't capable of being champions, and they aren't now. Some will say, "But they had a bunch of injuries..." NDSU had the same scenario, how are they doing? They're doing what they do because they have the right staff in place to do it. We don't.

TOP is the most overrated stat in football. Look at the UND/Southern Utah game. It was a beatdown on the scoreboard, even though UND dominated TOP.

But yeah, we can't stop a good running attack, except (usually) in the red zone. NDSU can stop the option, and they don't make excuses about rarely playing or practicing against it. It's a championship defense you have there. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Chris Brown had a helluva game yesterday. Hats off to him.

Is it possible you guys didn't match up against CP very well? Maybe against a Sacramento State your d line can pin their ears back and rush the passer.

I honestly would like to know what it is that MickyD does? Seriously, what are his responsibilities on gameday? Usually when you see him, he's got his hands on this hips and the microphone is pushed up (so we know he's not really talking to anyone).

Hauck coached special teams; papa bear and pflu brought a dynamic offense to UM; even cowboy joe made sure his teams came ready to play (for the most part).

Look at the "coaches" list from gogriz; seems like everyone is in charge of a position group, except for one:

Mick Delaney - Head Coach
Scott Gragg - Assistant Head Coach/Co-Offensive Coordinator/O-Line
Ty Gregorak - Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers
Kefense Hynson - Co-Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
Jake Cookus - Safeties/Co-Special Teams Coordinator
Justin Green - Running Backs/Recruiting Coordinator
Torrey Myers - Wide Receivers
Kade Rannings - Assistant Offensive Line/Video Coordinator
Lawrence Suiaunoa - Associate Head Coach/D-Line
Aric Williams - Cornerbacks
Ross Brunelle - Tight Ends/Co-Special Teams Coordinator

garizzalies said:
I honestly would like to know what it is that MickyD does? Seriously, what are his responsibilities on gameday? Usually when you see him, he's got his hands on this hips and the microphone is pushed up (so we know he's not really talking to anyone).

Few people know this but they stopped plugging Mick's headset in after the third game of the 2013 season...

I still say a good offense makes for a good defense. Keep the ball on offense and your defense rests on the sideline. If you have a good defense but a poor offense you are doomed to lose.

Don Reid must be wondering why our passing attack is such a joke. Attack? Hell we look like a young puppy laying on it's back. Our attempts at trying to run the ball is simply a dismal failure.

Our first three play calls yesterday is all you need to know about our offensive coaching. Period!

B_Kross said:
Ultimately, Delaney's biggest weakness as a coach is that he is trying to apply a very antiquated, power-run style of football when A. We don't have the playmakers to actually make an offense like that work. B. He's looking to the past for guidance when other college programs are adopting spread-type offenses, even the classic pro-sets are seeing more use of screen passes and such.

Overall, Delaney would probably be a good coach in say, the 60's and 70's, but his outdated style of management just doesn't fit in this day and age. Yes there are other factors like the staff's lack of adjustments and poor execution, but those are my :twocents:

Sorry but no. He had HC stints during that era. He had even worse results.

If our coach doesn't trust our offense to get 1 yard on 4th down when we are down 3 scores we need a new coach. If we got the first down on that 4th and 1 we could have won the game. He showed us he has no faith in our offense and doesn't want to win games.

2011BisonAlumni said:
AZGrizFan said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Yep. You make stops on defense. NDSU does it regularly.

If I am UM, I am much more concerned at this point about the ability to stop the run. You scored 21 points on offense last night. Not exactly lights out offense, but 21 points is enough to win a game if you can stop the other team from running it down your throat.
This is absolutely true of course, BUT the GRIZ D did make some stops one on the 41 yd line. I think we even lost yardage on that series. Mick wants to play 3 yds and a cloud of dust ball control football and you can't do that if you don't make recruiting O-lineman a priority and he hasn't.

2011BisonAlumni said:

This is the True Word.

Also JJ should run like he used to (but I suspect he is injured). Also, I do not know if this OLine is going to be great in a couple years with experience. Maybe they will. Maybe they are just not big and strong enough.

CV Griz Fan said:
B_Kross said:
Ultimately, Delaney's biggest weakness as a coach is that he is trying to apply a very antiquated, power-run style of football when A. We don't have the playmakers to actually make an offense like that work. B. He's looking to the past for guidance when other college programs are adopting spread-type offenses, even the classic pro-sets are seeing more use of screen passes and such.

Overall, Delaney would probably be a good coach in say, the 60's and 70's, but his outdated style of management just doesn't fit in this day and age. Yes there are other factors like the staff's lack of adjustments and poor execution, but those are my :twocents:

Sorry but no. He had HC stints during that era. He had even worse results.

You are correct. Delaney has had a couple of stints as a head coach at the college and high school levels and was not successful. I know Mick and his family well and I really like the guy, however, the Griz will continue to be the same with him as the head coach.

When Mick was first hired I had someone who had played for him years ago when he was a head coach tell me that the Griz will never be at the top of the Big Sky under Delaney, I kind of chuckled and shrugged it off. Now , I understand what he was talking about.

BornGrizz said:
BornaGriz said:
2011bison nailed it. How many times did you see our D flying all around Cal Poly's QB or RB grabbing at air because of poor angles of attack or over pursuing . Our Defense was porous at best. It is an old saying but it's a time tested one, " Defense wins games". Hopefully we will see a change up against Sac.St.. Hang in there Griz.

Yep, we got beat by a team that had better execution. The problem is why they had better execution. Coaching.

I remember Bwahlberg defending this staff before the season started. I said then they weren't capable of being champions, and they aren't now. Some will say, "But they had a bunch of injuries..." NDSU had the same scenario, how are they doing? They're doing what they do because they have the right staff in place to do it. We don't.

The injury excuse is the most pathetic one used by fans who like to play the blame game, but refuse to lay the blame where it belongs, on the coaches. Every team has injuries every season. The good coaches adapt to the healthy players they have and continue to win. The others lose. Guess which ones we have?

granitegriz said:
I am not saying he MD needs fired, but he could have punted on a couple of those third and 7s and pinned CP deep.... :roll: :?

He didn't want the Cal Poly team to wear them selves out, bring the ball that far back for a TOUCHDOWN

compassion on behalf of MD, also my sarcasm.

MrTitleist said:
B_Kross said:

Yet, NDSU, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Stanford and to a lesser extent, Alabama use this style of offense... it's not antiquated, and still used by very successful programs. What we lack is a fullback, true tight ends, and an offensive line who isn't beat to hell.
+ 1 2 3 & 4

Right on spysk...good analysis :thumb: This might seem odd, but I agree fully with indian-outlaw on here--he has it figured out. +1 with that guy.

spsyk said:
MrTitleist said:
B_Kross said:

Yet, NDSU, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Stanford and to a lesser extent, Alabama use this style of offense... it's not antiquated, and still used by very successful programs. What we lack is a fullback, true tight ends, and an offensive line who isn't beat to hell.
+ 1 2 3 & 4

The antiquated part is running that offense without the necessary personnel as if no other offensive approach is available.

This concludes my criticism because I have never been a coach.

Back