• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Turf

HookedonGriz said:
Will the installation of the new turf interfere with the start of fall ball in any way?

Fall camp starts 8/7 - last time they did this they got it down pretty quick. We may see some early practices in the riverbowl area but I bet it won't affect much.

BWahlberg said:
HookedonGriz said:
Will the installation of the new turf interfere with the start of fall ball in any way?

Fall camp starts 8/7 - last time they did this they got it down pretty quick. We may see some early practices in the riverbowl area but I bet it won't affect much.

Good deal thanks for the info Brint

So I wrote Mr. Haslam about the possibilities of cutting up the new turf.....here was his response below.

Thanks for the email. Excited to replace the turf at Washington-Grizzly Stadium that is for sure.

Cutting off pieces of the turf and trying to resell for this project just isn’t going to work. We are under such a timeline crunch to get this done as quickly as possible makes it a real hassle for FieldTurf to try and carve off pieces and then cut them up. The scope of work provided by FieldTurf includes them removing and repurposing the old turf and they got going quickly to roll up the old turf to transport it out.

Anyway…I apologize. If this project hadn’t come up with such a small window to get it done we could have planned for pieces to be held back. But, once the Regents gave approval there was very little time before the turf was getting removed. We really couldn’t start cutting it up until Regents approval in case we were going to have to play on it for one more year.

Hope this all makes sense. Thanks so much for the email and support of Grizzly athletics.

Kent

Sooooooo I'm guessing the company just does what it pleases with the old turf.....

time for some of you stalkers with deep pockets to get out the checkbook and flatbed and go get us some turf!!!!

BadlandsGrizFan said:
So I wrote Mr. Haslam about the possibilities of cutting up the new turf.....here was his response below.

Thanks for the email. Excited to replace the turf at Washington-Grizzly Stadium that is for sure.

Cutting off pieces of the turf and trying to resell for this project just isn’t going to work. We are under such a timeline crunch to get this done as quickly as possible makes it a real hassle for FieldTurf to try and carve off pieces and then cut them up. The scope of work provided by FieldTurf includes them removing and repurposing the old turf and they got going quickly to roll up the old turf to transport it out.

Anyway…I apologize. If this project hadn’t come up with such a small window to get it done we could have planned for pieces to be held back. But, once the Regents gave approval there was very little time before the turf was getting removed. We really couldn’t start cutting it up until Regents approval in case we were going to have to play on it for one more year.

Hope this all makes sense. Thanks so much for the email and support of Grizzly athletics.

Kent

Sooooooo I'm guessing the company just does what it pleases with the old turf.....

time for some of you stalkers with deep pockets to get out the checkbook and flatbed and go get us some turf!!!!
Oh shit I never thought about the fact it could only be cut into chunks inside the stadium/before it is rolled up. Drop it off in my yard I'll cut it up and send it to people. Jesus monkey tits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's amazing, with the display, Champions Center and turf, how much work is being done at Wash-Griz. Everything happening at once makes this a pretty thorough stadium makeover.

Yukon said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/KentHaslam/status/759134330455076864[/tweet]
Back before synthetic turf, come December the Griz DID play on dirt. In fact it was a huge advantage with the turf teams came to town. It sure equalized the speed that many of the southern teams seemed to have. WA Griz was the place southern teams came to die on the dirt.

Mavman said:
Whats the total price tag on all current projects?

If I remember correctly, the Champions Center is $14M, the video board is paid for by Learfield and the turf is $500K. This is just coming from memory and I didn't bother to actually look it up, but I guess that puts it about $14.5M. I could be totally wrong though!

i do love the griz said:
Mavman said:

If I remember correctly, the Champions Center is $14M, the video board is paid for by Learfield and the turf is $500K. This is just coming from memory and I didn't bother to actually look it up, but I guess that puts it about $14.5M. I could be totally wrong though!
close enough. I can't wait for the season opener! So much has changed in the last 8yrs since I last attended a home game.

i do love the griz said:
Mavman said:

and the turf will be paid for from the payout of the 2017 Huskies game.

I drove by there not too long ago and I thought about sneaking in and burying a nice little BOBCAT key fob in there before they lay the turf. Then I remember when Alphie did that (buried a griz keepsake) before they put down the red turf at EWU (And posted pictures of him doing so). That was just flat out a bad idea, you haven't won there yet. :lol:

poorgriz said:
I drove by there not too long ago and I thought about sneaking in and burying a nice little BOBCAT key fob in there before they lay the turf. Then I remember when Alphie did that (buried a griz keepsake) before they put down the red turf at EWU (And posted pictures of him doing so). That was just flat out a bad idea, you haven't won there yet. :lol:

Damn it Alpha, it's all your fault!

PG, you burying a bad-luck keepsake at Wa-Griz isn't going to make the cats' luck there any worse than it already is. It's a good story though :thumb:

Back