• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NFL Combine Information

grizindabox said:
Wagenmann: 7.07 sec in 3 cone drill, 4.26 in 20 yd shuttle and 12.00 in 60 shuttle

These numbers are a bigger deal than the 40 time

Did you actually post something smart????? :?

Very true. I'm not sure why the combine even does the 40 for some positions its pretty irrelevant for any position outside of RB and WR.

indian-outlaw said:
G-BEARS said:
go96griz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
14 reps on the bench according to NFL.com

That surprised me. He had the lowest number of reps by any d-lineman or linebacker that did the bench.

Not being condescending, but doesn't surprise me. His build doesn't strike me as someone who would naturally bench a lot, very lanky compared to most of those other guys. Such a stupid lift to assess anyway.
Totally agree, the bench press has to be the most worthless lift for any athlete. They should put 405lbs on the bar and see how many times you can pull it. Deadlift is a way better judge of body stregth than BP. Nothing stupider than someone with a big bench that has no core strength.

Oh yeah, it's so stupid to assess the staple of upper body strength... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: I can't imagine why the NFL gives a shit about that :lol: ????? Biermann was an animal next to Wagenmann.... I'm not saying Zach won't make the NFL.

pussycatkillerz said:
indian-outlaw said:
G-BEARS said:
go96griz said:
That surprised me. He had the lowest number of reps by any d-lineman or linebacker that did the bench.

Not being condescending, but doesn't surprise me. His build doesn't strike me as someone who would naturally bench a lot, very lanky compared to most of those other guys. Such a stupid lift to assess anyway.
Totally agree, the bench press has to be the most worthless lift for any athlete. They should put 405lbs on the bar and see how many times you can pull it. Deadlift is a way better judge of body stregth than BP. Nothing stupider than someone with a big bench that has no core strength.

Oh yeah, it's so stupid to assess the staple of upper body strength... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: I can't imagine why the NFL gives a shit about that :lol: ????? Biermann was an animal next to Wagenmann.... I'm not saying Zach won't make the NFL.
Upper body strength means jack squat without core strength.

On the Missoula NBC News

DEFENSIVE LINEMAN

Of the seven drills, Zach placed in the "Top 5" in four of the drills.

3 Cone Drill - 7.07 (Tied for 1st)
Vertical Jump - 37.5 (3rd Best)
60 yd shuttle - 12.00 (4th Best)
20 yd shuttle - 4.26 (5th Best)
-------------------------------------------
40 yard dash, 4.82 (11th Best)
Bench Press - 14 reps (Last place)

IntuitiveGriz said:
I don't agree with those that minimize or trivialize the bench press. The NFL isn't clueless or out-to-lunch. Most people are pretty smart in billion dollar businesses. They know that the ability to push away opponents (bench press) is a criticial part of the game.

Didn't Wags have a shoulder injury earlier in his career? Might account for a less than stellar lift.

th

Bench is the only thing that is important.

Hammer said:
grizindabox said:
Wagenmann: 7.07 sec in 3 cone drill, 4.26 in 20 yd shuttle and 12.00 in 60 shuttle

Very true. I'm not sure why the combine even does the 40 for some positions its pretty irrelevant for any position outside of RB and WR.

It's important to know speed for special teams players (Zach will play on). You put your guys that can run on them.

Cornerbacks are often the fastest players on the field in the NFL, and they have to cover/react to fast players (WRs), so knowing their speed is relevant.

indian-outlaw said:
pussycatkillerz said:
indian-outlaw said:
G-BEARS said:

And core strength MEANS JACK SQUAT without upper body strength...which Waggs currently lacks....a sport like golf may be enhanced by a core to upper muscular imbalance but a defensive end in the NFL needs an impressive total body "push" in my opinion.

Maybe new strength coach will help improve lifting numbers of future DE's. That rep number not a glowing sign for the old one who was asking for donations to start a busines

pussycatkillerz said:
indian-outlaw said:
pussycatkillerz said:
indian-outlaw said:

Core strength MEANS JACK SQUAT without upper body strength...which Waggs currently lacks....a sport like golf may be enhanced by a core to upper muscular imbalance but a defensive end in the NFL needs SERIOUS balanced "push" in my opinion.

I don't think anyone's saying upper body strength isn't needed, it obviously is. All I'm saying is that the combine chooses to test one lift. If one lift is being assessed, I think that there are 2 or 3 other lifts that should be chosen before bench press in the 'importance to football' category. I find it odd that the combine goes with bench.

Ursus1 said:
Maybe new strength coach will help improve lifting numbers of future DE's. That rep number not a glowing sign for the old one who was asking for donations to start a busines

Agreed

G-BEARS said:
pussycatkillerz said:
indian-outlaw said:
pussycatkillerz said:

Core strength MEANS JACK SQUAT without upper body strength...which Waggs currently lacks....a sport like golf may be enhanced by a core to upper muscular imbalance but a defensive end in the NFL needs SERIOUS balanced "push" in my opinion.

I don't think anyone's saying upper body strength isn't needed, it obviously is. All I'm saying is that the combine chooses to test one lift. If one lift is being assessed, I think that there are 2 or 3 other lifts that should be chosen before bench press in the 'importance to football' category. I find it odd that the combine goes with bench.

Gerber is an excellent strength coach. Remember he was only there for one season and from what Im told everyones numbers were going up under him. I hear the new coach is more about cardio and getting guys in shape to go 90 plays, instead of max weight lifts. Probably fits Stitts offense better and that's why he brought him. Gerber would fit the Bobby Ball type of O better.

Hammer said:
G-BEARS said:
pussycatkillerz said:
indian-outlaw said:

Gerber is an excellent strength coach. Remember he was only there for one season and from what Im told everyones numbers were going up under him. I hear the new coach is more about cardio and getting guys in shape to go 90 plays, instead of max weight lifts. Probably fits Stitts offense better and that's why he brought him. Gerber would fit the Bobby Ball type of O better.

Correct. Someone else already mentioned what the problem really is. Wagenmann's bench numbers went up under Gerber. Maybe certain know-nothings (obviously not Hammer) would be better off keeping silent when they don't have a clue on the subject.

G-BEARS said:
pussycatkillerz said:
indian-outlaw said:
pussycatkillerz said:

If an athlete of that level has developed an impressive upper strength, a strong core is more than likely evident.
How can anyone question the procedures of the businesses financing a brand as strong as the the NFL?

As an avid weight lifter, I can tell you, the coach should've had Waggs putting up more than 14 reps before the combine. Sorry playerep

IntuitiveGriz said:
Hammer said:
grizindabox said:

It's important to know speed for special teams players (Zach will play on). You put your guys that can run on them.

Cornerbacks are often the fastest players on the field in the NFL, and they have to cover/react to fast players (WRs), so knowing their speed is relevant.

Ok, you are right. CB's, RB's and WR's.

pussycatkillerz said:
G-BEARS said:
pussycatkillerz said:
indian-outlaw said:

If an athlete of that level has developed an impressive upper strength, a strong core is more than likely evident.
How can anyone question the procedures of the businesses financing a brand as strong as the the NFL?

:lol:

Ursa Major said:
Hand size means everything in the NFL.

Agree. It's truly shocking how all of these "experts" haven't commented once on hand size during this entire thread, until now. The most successful GMs in the League generally build teams around hand size. Why don't you see any "carnies" in the NFL? Gee, hmm, I don't know.

Latest posts

Back