• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Discussion: Linebacker

BWahlberg

DONOR
One final position to cover – linebacker. The linebacker starting 3 returns intact from the last season but its depth and looking to the future that will be the long-term task here. As a starting 3 this LB corps is probably one of the better, if not the best, units in the Big Sky. However this season these LBs are going to be tested and relied upon even more. Last year the LB’s had the support of an experienced and senior-heavy D-line. This year the D-line is breaking in 3 new starters and this year’s DT’s are lighter this year than we’ve seen in quite a few recent years.

Starters

OLB – Herbert Gamboa
MLB – Jeremiah Kose
OLB – Kendrick Van Ackeren

Backups

OLB – Connor Lebsock
MLB – Connor Strahm
OLB – Alex Thomas

Depth

Zach Vis, Josh Buss, Shane Cochran, Gage Smith, David Fa’atuise, Dante Olson, Cy Sirmon

(side note, surprised to not see Richtmeyer on the roster – he had a strong spring camp)

------------------
The starters as I said are a known quantity – what I’d like to see from this group is more forced turnovers while remaining strong with their tackling. KVA forced 1 int / 1 fumble, Kose had 2 ints, and Gamboa forced 1 fumble. That’s just 5 forced turnovers for the whole season. When you add in fumble recoveries it’s also worth pointing out though that KVA had 3, Kose 1, and Gamboa 1. However when you step back – this group forced just 5 turnovers last year. The last dynamic trio we had as seniors (Tripp, Coyle, JP) forced 14 turnovers as a group. This LB corps should set similar goals – keep up the efficiency but add in more takeaways.

I really like the starting group, Kose is a big enforcer and surprisingly quick and smart on the field. KVA and Gamboa are both much faster and agile than many other OLB’s we’ve had before and we saw the improvement in pass coverage from the LB’s immediately last year. Remember that these two plus Lebsock are all converted safeties. The four seniors of the LB corps represent the primary experience and leadership of the defense. These guys will be looked upon to be the leaders of the “darkside”.

The depth I’m taking a bit of a guess at with MLB and one spot at OLB. Schye is a DE this year or I’d think he’d be the backup here and I thought I read that Strahm is moving to the middle. Of the younger corps Thomas, Cochran, Vis, and Buss all showed some flashes of the future this spring, Thomas stood out to me. Without Addison Owen on the team anymore either there’s going to be some opportunity for 1 or 2 of our RS-frosh LBs to get in on the mix. These guys are young and show it – issues in pass coverage from time to time but then would come back with a tremendous stop or interception. This year will be key for this group to mature as our starting 3 plus Lebsock all are seniors.

I’m going to guess that our 3 true freshman will probably be red shirted however Fa’atuise is an interesting prospect, I can’t help but wonder if Strahm isn’t looked at the be the backup mike-backer then Fa’atuise may get a look for the backup job right away.

BWahlberg said:
One final position to cover – linebacker. The linebacker starting 3 returns intact from the last season but its depth and looking to the future that will be the long-term task here. As a starting 3 this LB corps is probably one of the better, if not the best, units in the Big Sky. However this season these LBs are going to be tested and relied upon even more. Last year the LB’s had the support of an experienced and senior-heavy D-line. This year the D-line is breaking in 3 new starters and this year’s DT’s are lighter this year than we’ve seen in quite a few recent years.

Starters

OLB – Herbert Gamboa
MLB – Jeremiah Kose
OLB – Kendrick Van Ackeren

Backups

OLB – Connor Lebsock
MLB – Connor Strahm
OLB – Alex Thomas

Depth

Zach Vis, Josh Buss, Shane Cochran, Gage Smith, David Fa’atuise, Dante Olson, Cy Sirmon

(side note, surprised to not see Richtmeyer on the roster – he had a strong spring camp)

------------------
The starters as I said are a known quantity – what I’d like to see from this group is more forced turnovers while remaining strong with their tackling. KVA forced 1 int / 1 fumble, Kose had 2 ints, and Gamboa forced 1 fumble. That’s just 5 forced turnovers for the whole season. When you add in fumble recoveries it’s also worth pointing out though that KVA had 3, Kose 1, and Gamboa 1. However when you step back – this group forced just 5 turnovers last year. The last dynamic trio we had as seniors (Tripp, Coyle, JP) forced 14 turnovers as a group. This LB corps should set similar goals – keep up the efficiency but add in more takeaways.

I really like the starting group, Kose is a big enforcer and surprisingly quick and smart on the field. KVA and Gamboa are both much faster and agile than many other OLB’s we’ve had before and we saw the improvement in pass coverage from the LB’s immediately last year. Remember that these two plus Lebsock are all converted safeties. The four seniors of the LB corps represent the primary experience and leadership of the defense. These guys will be looked upon to be the leaders of the “darkside”.

The depth I’m taking a bit of a guess at with MLB and one spot at OLB. Schye is a DE this year or I’d think he’d be the backup here and I thought I read that Strahm is moving to the middle. Of the younger corps Thomas, Cochran, Vis, and Buss all showed some flashes of the future this spring, Thomas stood out to me. Without Addison Owen on the team anymore either there’s going to be some opportunity for 1 or 2 of our RS-frosh LBs to get in on the mix. These guys are young and show it – issues in pass coverage from time to time but then would come back with a tremendous stop or interception. This year will be key for this group to mature as our starting 3 plus Lebsock all are seniors.

I’m going to guess that our 3 true freshman will probably be red shirted however Fa’atuise is an interesting prospect, I can’t help but wonder if Strahm isn’t looked at the be the backup mike-backer then Fa’atuise may get a look for the backup job right away.

Do you see a First Team All-American in that group?

LongTimeCatFan said:
I thought you guys did away with linebackers and now have "middle secondary."

a little enamored with Griz football, are we??? Why else would you spend so much time here? I have never even visited catshit nation, couldn't care less about what is said there.

Accurate Assessment. I agree ... to help the "O," the defense needs to enhance their game by force more turnovers ... rip and strip the ball. :)

Hammer said:
LongTimeCatFan said:
I thought you guys did away with linebackers and now have "middle secondary."

a little enamored with Griz football, are we??? Why else would you spend so much time here? I have never even visited catshit nation, couldn't care less about what is said there.

Not really, just trying to keep up

To laugh

Don't waste your time... Bunch of panty waste gun hating, Obama sucking, libtards over there.

WTF do guns and Obummer have to do with this thread? Come on Ltcf, you're better than that :roll:

Hammer said:
LongTimeCatFan said:
biga75 said:
WTF do guns and Obummer have to do with this thread? Come on Ltcf, you're better than that :roll:

No, I'm really not

I guess if you are paranoid that may be a problem for you.

Not paranoid either

Why do libtards always think you must be paranoid if you're carrying a gun? It's an odd assertion.

LongTimeCatFan said:
Hammer said:
LongTimeCatFan said:
biga75 said:

No, I'm really not

Not paranoid either

Why do libtards always think you must be paranoid if you're carrying a gun? It's an odd assertion.

Im far from liberal, but the mentality that everybody is a bad guy and I need a gun everywhere I go confuses me. If not paranoia, then what? It must really suck to go through life with that paranoid mentality.

Hammer said:
LongTimeCatFan said:
Hammer said:
LongTimeCatFan said:
No, I'm really not

Not paranoid either

Im far from liberal, but the mentality that everybody is a bad guy and I need a gun everywhere I go confuses me. If not paranoia, then what? It must really suck to go through life with that paranoid mentality.

Hmmm.... Not really a concern. Again, it's not paranoia. It's just a matter of having the right equipment or tool handy if the need should arise. Why carry a tool belt up on a ladder when you only need your hammer? I don't think I really need to point to all of the incidents in recent history where someone would have fared far better had they been equipped with an appropriate tool to defend themselves with. Do I?

If you don't want to have the best equipment for such a need, that's your choice. For those of us that do, that's our choice. Aren't you libs supposed to be pro choice?

Good god :roll:
Why does everything have to turn political? We have a separate forum for that type of crap where the current discussion is about something Barry said to a bunch of people in a far away place.
Right now, I just want to read pissing contests about football, Dockers, preseason championships, cereal, copyrights, all-you-can eat buffets, what may or may not have happened in 1984, and moving up.
Is that too much to ask on the football side of things with less than a month to go before the thundering herd of T-buffs fans invade Missoula?

biga75 said:
Why does everything have to turn political? We have a separate forum for that type of crap where the current discussion is about something Barry said to a bunch of people in a far away place.
Right now, I just want to read pissing contests about football, Dockers, preseason championships, cereal, copyrights, all-you-can eat buffets, what may or may not have happened in 1984, and moving up.
Is that too much to ask on the football side of things with less than a month to go before the thundering herd of T-buffs fans invade Missoula?

Our world around us is turning to shit through the works of one man and his minions and all you care about are pissing matches?

Come on Americans, we're better than that. (Especially you bigs)

Come on Hammer...

Are you telling me, the Shane's of Pryor, in an effort to defy their obvious paranoia, failed to bring their guns to a gunfight they didn't know was going to exist?

Bitch, please

LongTimeCatFan said:
biga75 said:

Our world around us is turning to shit through the works of one man and his minions and all you care about are pissing matches?

Come on Americans, we're better than that. (Especially you bigs)

Longtimedouchebag, for the record, Im far from being liberal. I vote democrat but its not on liberal issues its on labor issues. You call me a minion of Obama. If that makes you feel good then go for it. Im also a veteran of the US Army. Are you a vet? Just curious. No smack intended but its funny how many of the right wing gun faction never served a day in the military. if you are that gung ho, maybe the military would have been the place for you.

Or maybe you couldn't get in? :shock: I see a lot of that.

:coffee:

Back