• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring camp players with rising stock

mtgrizrule said:
The ironic and funny part of all the Nguyen debating, both sides may end up right. I won't be surprised to see his return duties diminished. Yet, one of the main RB's in the offense. I am more comfortable with Nguyen in the backfield than back returning kicks and punts. Like his brother, he makes me nervous when he is a returner.

I would think with all the talent the GRIZ have at RB, WR, and DB there has to be a handful of players who are better returners than Nguyen. I hope we see a few Freshmen capable of being returners as well.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Caleb Lyons back there.

alabamagrizzly said:
mtgrizrule said:
The ironic and funny part of all the Nguyen debating, both sides may end up right. I won't be surprised to see his return duties diminished. Yet, one of the main RB's in the offense. I am more comfortable with Nguyen in the backfield than back returning kicks and punts. Like his brother, he makes me nervous when he is a returner.

I would think with all the talent the GRIZ have at RB, WR, and DB there has to be a handful of players who are better returners than Nguyen. I hope we see a few Freshmen capable of being returners as well.
Chris Parker is another.

reinell30 said:
BWahlberg said:
bgbigdog said:
HookedonGriz said:
Best part is that everyone who is bashing Nyugen right now will be his biggest fan after he rushes for 1000 yds this season with 1 fumble. All of Griz nation will say "I told ya he was incredible". Nyugen is a whole different beast than his brother and will serve this team well IMO.

As many plays as Stitt is planning on running might suppose you'll have more than one guy with 1K yds.

He never had two backs at CSM go over 1000 so I'd kind of tend to doubt it... but it's tough to say, FCS/Big Sky is a different ball game than what he faced at CSM.

How is Nguyen at catching passes? I can't remember him being thrown at in past.

Pretty good, not as good as his brother yet. Logwood isn't the best that I've seen... obviously Favors and Counts have been out so not sure on them.

alabamagrizzly said:
alabamagrizzly said:
mtgrizrule said:

Chris Parker is another.

My guess is that Hendu and Nguyen will handle KR duty and Hendu on punts as well.

Lyons, Parker, and I think I saw Rassmussen or another DB back there as well handling a few. Logwood is a KR option as well.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Glendivegriz said:
AlaskaGriz said:
I'm not on the Gus boat.... Disappointing if he is the best QB... Even more disappointed in some of the other QB's to get beat out by him.... He has never impressed me in Games, scrimmages or practice. I would hope Simis or Chalich pass him for the first start and hold onto it.
So apparently in your mind the first impression is all that is necessary and there can never be maturity and growth.

Exactly...give the guy a chance...Im excited for the kid, he comes from an outstanding high school football program...and was one of the most prolific high school qbs in Montana in recent years...hes what 6'7 230 whats not to like about that kid.

I agree and am on the gus wagon,,,,remembering that he has all the records at west high, plus size and a winner of a state championship to his resume..... he can flat out spin the ball to anyone who has seen him play, even in high school, add to these facts he graduated with honors and stitt has acknowledged, intelligence is listed above all else in knowing what play offers the best chance at success (readind defenses quickly)....he also was a heck of a basketball player on a championship team (he is very mobile for 6'7 and 230pounds....there are many d1 teams that would love to have him....yes, I'm on his wagon until he proves otherwise,,what's not to like about this kid? Montana is lucky to have gotten him imo.....

AZGrizFan said:
firmgriz said:
Gotta love all the posters on here who either ignore facts to make their point or make up bogus ones to support it. Way to take a play out of the ol' republican playbook folks. I am personally excited to see what John can do in this offense in 2015. I think he will be a great fit and have a big year. Go Griz! :clap:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep. That's a uniquely Republican trait. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol:

havgrizfan said:
I won't lie, it seemed like Nyguen fumbled more than that BUT, since we ALL like to think we're bigtime already and think we're ready for the even bigger time, than I'm going to say the stats that BW looked up are right and accurate. They PAY people to stat the games. They wouldn't just leave out fumbles.

I hope this isn't an indication that you're one of the sheep following Alpha over the cliff and believing his lies. The true test will be when you start telling us that Prater is a lock to start at qb and Schey is the best middle linebacker on the team and will be a 4-year starter, and bashing parents of UM's all-americans.

alabamagrizzly said:
mtgrizrule said:

This. But I am admittedly biased.

BWahlberg said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
He will have 3 by the 2nd game........just like last year and the 3 years before it.

If he is the best we got we are in some serious trouble for years to come at the RB and PR positions.

Let's go to the stats.

In 2014 Montana was credited with 7 total fumbles and 4 lost fumbles. Which as it stands is incredibly low, especially for the running-focused team the Griz were last season.

Wyo: No fumbles / None lost
CWU: One fumble / None lost (John Nguyen)
USD: No fumbles / None lost
NSDU: No fumbles / None lost
UNC: One fumbles / One lost (Jordan Canada)
UND: No fumbles / None lost
UCD: No fumbles / None lost
CPSO: No fumbles / None lost
Sac: No fumbles / None lost
EWU: No fumbles / None lost
SUU: One fumble / None lost (Jordan Canada)
MSU: One fumble / One lost (Jordan Canada)
USD: One fumble / One lost (Lorenzo Logwood)
EWU: Two fumbles / One Lost (Jordan Canada's recovered by UM / TraVon Van's was lost)

It would appear your statement on Nguyen is complete and total BS. Only 1 fumble and it didn't result in a turnover.

Carry on
I really don't care what the stats on fumbles are you and I both know he puts the ball on the ground more than possibly anyone to ever wear a Griz jersey. (Excluding his brother)

On top of the potential to turn the ball over he makes the worst special teams decisions I have ever seen.

You, carry on

Fahque said:
BWahlberg said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
He will have 3 by the 2nd game........just like last year and the 3 years before it.

If he is the best we got we are in some serious trouble for years to come at the RB and PR positions.

Let's go to the stats.

In 2014 Montana was credited with 7 total fumbles and 4 lost fumbles. Which as it stands is incredibly low, especially for the running-focused team the Griz were last season.

EWU: Two fumbles / One Lost (Jordan Canada's recovered by UM / TraVon Van's was lost)

It would appear your statement on Nguyen is complete and total BS. Only 1 fumble and it didn't result in a turnover.

Carry on
Do they keep stats for muffed punts or kick-offs?
Nope, but if they did he would lead the country

PlayerRep said:
havgrizfan said:
I won't lie, it seemed like Nyguen fumbled more than that BUT, since we ALL like to think we're bigtime already and think we're ready for the even bigger time, than I'm going to say the stats that BW looked up are right and accurate. They PAY people to stat the games. They wouldn't just leave out fumbles.

I hope this isn't an indication that you're one of the sheep following Alpha over the cliff and believing his lies. The true test will be when you start telling us that Prater is a lock to start at qb and Schey is the best middle linebacker on the team and will be a 4-year starter, and bashing parents of UM's all-americans.
Talked about you with a players mom the other night at dinner. She didn't like you in high school and she sure doesn't now. There were some pretty aggressive adjectives she used to discribe you. I also like that she was glad that I put the drunk all American parents in their place.

She's a smart one

krammer said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Glendivegriz said:
AlaskaGriz said:
I'm not on the Gus boat.... Disappointing if he is the best QB... Even more disappointed in some of the other QB's to get beat out by him.... He has never impressed me in Games, scrimmages or practice. I would hope Simis or Chalich pass him for the first start and hold onto it.
So apparently in your mind the first impression is all that is necessary and there can never be maturity and growth.

Exactly...give the guy a chance...Im excited for the kid, he comes from an outstanding high school football program...and was one of the most prolific high school qbs in Montana in recent years...hes what 6'7 230 whats not to like about that kid.

I agree and am on the gus wagon,,,,remembering that he has all the records at west high, plus size and a winner of a state championship to his resume..... he can flat out spin the ball to anyone who has seen him play, even in high school, add to these facts he graduated with honors and stitt has acknowledged, intelligence is listed above all else in knowing what play offers the best chance at success (readind defenses quickly)....he also was a heck of a basketball player on a championship team (he is very mobile for 6'7 and 230pounds....there are many d1 teams that would love to have him....yes, I'm on his wagon until he proves otherwise,,what's not to like about this kid? Montana is lucky to have gotten him imo.....
I agree, and I think some people are putting way too much stock in the necessity of our QB to run. I personally would prefer a guy who can over one who can't, but as long as Gus can make the right reads and make them fast enough, we should be fine.

One small thing, though, Gustafson never won a championship in football at West. His team got pasted by Capital in the title game in 2011.

I think it fair to assume that Prater started further back than any of the other quarterbacks. It will be interesting go see if time is on his side. The longer he hangs in there the better he might be. Looks like he has the arm, etc. just not enough experience at this time.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
BWahlberg said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Let's go to the stats.

Carry on
I really don't care what the stats on fumbles are you and I both know he puts the ball on the ground more than possibly anyone to ever wear a Griz jersey. (Excluding his brother)

On top of the potential to turn the ball over he makes the worst special teams decisions I have ever seen.

You, carry on

He actually doesn't and the real stats even show that. But just keep on living in fantasy land. It's ok to admit when you've been proven wrong. :thumb:

I'm just gonna put this put there, since it seems bashing Griz players who fumble is the new topic of this thread. Chase Reynolds fumbled twice in a game seven different times in his career. And I doubt anyone but Bobby Hauck blasted him for it.

Nguyen is far and away the best RB at UM. He's going to tear it up in Stitt's offense. Some of ya'll are outta your minds...

havgrizfan said:
I'm just gonna put this put there, since it seems bashing Griz players who fumble is the new topic of this thread. Chase Reynolds fumbled twice in a game seven different times in his career. And I doubt anyone but Bobby Hauck blasted him for it.

Maybe Stitt has the same belief system as Mike Martz. Turnovers are irrelevant. We're going to beat you anyway. Even with a negative turnover margin......Some aggressive offensive gurus
just feel that way. JN's other attributes make him worth the fumble risk.......

CV, I totally agree with you. I think Nyguen will have a great season. He learned a lot from Canada and Van the last two years. But then again, I thought Peter Nyguen was also a great running back and I seem to be in the minority there.

griz5700 said:
Nguyen is far and away the best RB at UM. He's going to tear it up in Stitt's offense. Some of ya'll are outta your minds...
Some people also have weird and obsessive personal vendettas against particular players.

havgrizfan said:
IIRC one of those games was against the cats (2010) and they were both inside the cats' 10 yard line. I guess that negates all of his accomplishments as a player.

Back