• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring game wrap up

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 and 1/2 Months of fighting, moaning, wishing, bitching and other disconected issues await the Egriz clan of rabid football fans until the Real Deal begins this coming fall. I am happy with our team right now and with a few more good looking young men coming to play for the Griz, we will be looking like a eam that COULD win the Big Sky.

I hope Stitt finds two studs that can can kick and punt before next season! Otherwise we will be going for it on fourth and 20 each time. Perhaps all of us might chip in $5 for the cause. Can we "buy" a kicker and if so how much do they cost?

I was so proud of our fans yesterday as 346 of them kept tailgating before the game and all during the half and were late getting back for the third quarter, some never made it back. U have to be thrilled with their love of the game.

Umista said:
When Waherg went down in the rain I thought he might be done for next season...nice to see he made it back later in the game. Brint is one of our best and really took a pounding today.

Yo Brint, Thanks for the write up! Seems like we may have a good team coming on.

:lol: Thanks BW!

GO GRIZ!

grizaremoregooder said:
SaskGriz said:
grizaremoregooder said:
I think Reese Phillips will be the best quarterback on the roster before fall camp after watching the scrum today. He throws a better ball, is mobile, looks defenders off of the receivers, and just moves like a quarterback. The receivers dropped a lot of Reese's passes that hit them in the fricken numbers today TERRIBLE DROPS. He may over take Gus in fall camp for the starting job. I was hoping he would get a series with the 1's to see what he could do. Gus was solid today and had a few nice deep throws but is still bombing the ball badly over the receivers heads. The offense is totally dependent on big plays (like last year) with him behind center because there is absolutely no run game to speak of. The running game would be greatly helped by a mobile quarterback like Phillips. The Griz have three quarterbacks that can play at the FCS level at a high level going into next season and have great quarterback depth. I was also really impressed with Cody McCombs and I think he would have seen the field a lot this season if he could play. He is the best running back the Griz have. All other running backs were non factors today plain and simple. James Homan and Jerry Louie McGee will be stars this season and both are great players. I think Collin Bingham will also be on the field a lot and will really push Horner and Ralston (bad drop today) he reminds me of the Sandland kid MSU had last season. Jesse Sims is an absolute monster! Treshawn Favors broke a big run and Sims ran him down from ten yards back. They were dropping Sims back into pass coverage (did well) and he was great pass rushing off of the edge. The defense as a whole is a very, very solid group and the new DT transfers are a huge gain for the defense. It will be tough to score on this group. The kicking game is really, really bad.

Nice! So McCombs is better than Nguyen who rushed for 900+ and caught about 30 balls and has played major minutes his whole career, and Calhoun who tied a Griz record for true freshman TD's, plus Favor and Counts, one who has been ripping it up this pre-season and the other who scored a historic TD for our boys and looks like 300 lbs of muscle poured into a 180 lb case? I know the "electric cabbage" is legal in Washington and Colorado, maybe it's time to relocate.
McCombs really played well today. I didn't know who he was before today but I was really impressed with what I saw. Too bad he has to sit out a year.
Maybe you should relocate to the spring game before you comment.

BWahlberg said:
I don't think Phillips is passing Gus.

RB's I'm guessing will go:

1 - Nguyen
2 - Favors
3 - Calhoun (power option)
4 - Counts

4 ...might be the number of carries before counts is hurt again

rail43boy said:
Personally, I was disappointed that much of the time Gus did not look at his other receivers. He seems to
lock on to his target early and wait before getting the ball off. But what do I know, I never played the game.
He always does this...........it's probably because he gets the system. :coffee:

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

grizaremoregooder said:
grizaremoregooder said:
SaskGriz said:
grizaremoregooder said:
I think Reese Phillips will be the best quarterback on the roster before fall camp after watching the scrum today. He throws a better ball, is mobile, looks defenders off of the receivers, and just moves like a quarterback. The receivers dropped a lot of Reese's passes that hit them in the fricken numbers today TERRIBLE DROPS. He may over take Gus in fall camp for the starting job. I was hoping he would get a series with the 1's to see what he could do. Gus was solid today and had a few nice deep throws but is still bombing the ball badly over the receivers heads. The offense is totally dependent on big plays (like last year) with him behind center because there is absolutely no run game to speak of. The running game would be greatly helped by a mobile quarterback like Phillips. The Griz have three quarterbacks that can play at the FCS level at a high level going into next season and have great quarterback depth. I was also really impressed with Cody McCombs and I think he would have seen the field a lot this season if he could play. He is the best running back the Griz have. All other running backs were non factors today plain and simple. James Homan and Jerry Louie McGee will be stars this season and both are great players. I think Collin Bingham will also be on the field a lot and will really push Horner and Ralston (bad drop today) he reminds me of the Sandland kid MSU had last season. Jesse Sims is an absolute monster! Treshawn Favors broke a big run and Sims ran him down from ten yards back. They were dropping Sims back into pass coverage (did well) and he was great pass rushing off of the edge. The defense as a whole is a very, very solid group and the new DT transfers are a huge gain for the defense. It will be tough to score on this group. The kicking game is really, really bad.

Nice! So McCombs is better than Nguyen who rushed for 900+ and caught about 30 balls and has played major minutes his whole career, and Calhoun who tied a Griz record for true freshman TD's, plus Favor and Counts, one who has been ripping it up this pre-season and the other who scored a historic TD for our boys and looks like 300 lbs of muscle poured into a 180 lb case? I know the "electric cabbage" is legal in Washington and Colorado, maybe it's time to relocate.
McCombs really played well today. I didn't know who he was before today but I was really impressed with what I saw. Too bad he has to sit out a year.
Maybe you should relocate to the spring game before you comment.

It's true I didn't see the game. I was reacting to "He is the best running back the Griz have" rather than "he was the most impressive running back out there today". My Canadian side needs me to apologise if my comments were too harsh. GO GRIZ!

MONTANA SPRING GAME
Grizzlies cap spring drills with high-flying final scrimmage

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/grizzlies-cap-spring-drills-with-high-flying-final-scrimmage/article_b24b7d9e-44d1-5318-a4d6-b94d6a93c0cd.html

Head coach Bob Stitt wanted to enhance the excitement for Montana's annual spring game. Well it's tough to come up with a better climax to spring practices than the waning moments of Saturday's final scrimmage.

Discarding any notion of a tie, Montana's White team went for the win with a two-point conversion down by one in the final minute. In a scrimmage that at times felt more like a true game, the Maroon's Ryan McKinley got a hand on the pass in the end zone to preserve his side's 27-26 victory in front of what remained of a few thousand rain-soaked fans at Washington-Grizzly Stadium.

McKinley's lunging break-up, which disrupted a potentially game-winning pass from senior quarterback Chad Chalich to redshirt freshman receiver Kobey Eaton, capped a spring game that pitted UM's No. 1 offense -- teamed with its second-string defense as Maroon -- against the top defense and offensive reserves as White.

Strength versus strength.

"That's what you want as a player. You want to be in that position, on the line like that in front of all these fans," McKinley said. "I couldn't have asked for a better ending to be honest with you."

The play also finished Montana's spring drills, which went 15 practices deep dating back to March 21. Back then the Griz had many unknowns up and down their roster, replacing tons of graduated talent on defense and offensively at wide receiver. Though Saturday's game provided an exhilarating outcome, finding reliable players among the untested was always more important than the score.

Montana appears able to tally that one in the win column as well.

The scrimmage opened with star-in-the-making Jerry Louie-McGee returning the kickoff 99 yards right up the middle for a touchdown. The redshirt freshman's score put the Maroon ahead 7-0, but was just the beginning of his monster day.

Louie-McGee added long touchdown catches of 71 and 67 yards -- those scores working in the White's favor -- to reach 175 yards receiving in all, his second straight scrimmage over the century mark.

Fellow WR newcomer James Homan, a junior transfer from Blinn (Texas) College, also scored once for each side and totaled 121 yards on just four catches.

"We didn't know when spring ball started what we had in those guys," Stitt said of his unseasoned receiving corps. "Now everyone knows them; our team knows what they can do.

"Through these scrimmages, doing it when it counts, gives them a lot of confidence going into the next phase."

The Maroon upped its lead to 13-0 midway through the second quarter when another young receiver, H-back Colin Bingham, found the end zone for the first time. The redshirt freshman and Missoula Big Sky product caught a ball from senior quarterback Brady Gustafson, cutting up field inches from the left sideline and making his way 44 yards to the end zone.

Redshirt freshman kicker Tim Semenza missed the extra point, the first of a parade of issues in the kicking game on the rainy afternoon. Semenza also went wide on field goals from 39 and 26 yards. White kicker Brandon Purdy, another redshirt freshman, was blocked by junior cornerback Shane Moody from 47 and senior Harrison Greenberg also had a PAT knocked down by McKinley after a bobbled snap threw off the attempt's timing.

Chalich pulled the White within 13-7 still in the first quarter when he gave Homan his first score from 24 yards out. That was a major chunk of Chalich's yards for the day; he completed just 7 of 20 attempts for 56 yards.

On the other side, Gustafson tossed off a cool 300 yards with three scores, a 51-yard bomb to Keenan Curran giving Maroon the 20-7 advantage before halftime. His sub-.500 completion percentage (15 of 32) evened out those numbers, though that wasn't too worrisome in Stitt's eyes.

"It's more about the decisions than the actual result in weather like this -- especially in spring," Stitt said. "We'll go back into the film room, but our guys made some good checks."

"It's great in Year 2 just being able to do whatever I think will work," Gustafson said about reading defenses at the line. " ... It's really easy to see something that'll work and just go to it right away. That really helps us keep our tempo for the games."

QB Reese Phillips, a junior who transferred from Kentucky this offseason, has started to display similar abilities after just a month in Stitt's system. He helped pull the White back into Saturday's game, throwing both of those long touchdowns to Louie-McGee in a third quarter that featured a running clock.

"I love that, the hand signals and how the quarterback makes the calls," Louie-McGee said of the offense. "Reese was giving great calls and that's why I was making the plays."

Phillips finished with 233 yards on just 8 for 14 passing. He did have one interception, a pick by redshirt freshman Jerrin Williams, his third in three spring scrimmages. But Phillips also continues to struggle facing the pass rush, taking six sacks against the second-string defense. That included three by defensive end Tucker Schye. The junior has eight in three scrimmages.

After the White tied it 20-20, Gustafson and the Maroon answered in just two plays. A 55-yard run by junior Treshawn Favors set up a Gustafson-to-Homan connection for a 15-yard TD to go up 27-20 with 6 minutes to play.

With time winding down, Chalich guided the offense 70 yards in 14 plays to score, his 11-yard scamper with 25 seconds remaining capping the march.

The game ended a play later on McKinley's fingertips, a thrilling final play Griz fans will have to remember for the next four-plus months. The season opener back at Wa-Griz against Saint Francis on Sept. 3 is only 133 days away.

NOTES: Montana announced its 2017 spring game will be held at Naranche Stadium in Butte next April. The Griz alternate spring games at home and away from Missoula biennially.

STATISTICS

MONTANA SPRING GAME

Scoring

First quarter

M - Jerry Louie-McGee 99 kick return (Tim Semenza kick), 11:43

M - Colin Bingham 44 pass from Brady Gustafson (Semenza failed), 7:10

W - James Homan 24 pass from Chad Chalich (Brandon Purdy kick), 2:02

Second quarter

M - Keenan Curran 51 pass from Gustafson (Trevin Thompson kick), 10:54

Third quarter

W - Louie-McGee 71 pass from Phillips (Patrick LeCorre kick), 5:21

W - Louie-McGee 67 pass from Phillips (Harrison Greenberg blocked), 0:15

Fourth quarter

M - Homan 15 pass from Gustafson (Thompson kick), 6:00

W - Chalich 11 run (pass failed), 0:25

Offensive statistics

Passing - Maroon: Brady Gustafson 15-32-0 for 300. White: Chad Chalich 7-20-0 for 56; Reese Phillips 8-14-1 for 233.

Rushing - Maroon (12-67): Treshawn Favors 5-55, John Nguyen 2-3, Gustafson 5-(-17). White (32-139): Jeremy Calhoun 12-53, Cody McCombs 7-37, Chalich 6-24; Phillips 7-(-35).

Receiving - Maroon: Caleb Lyons 6-111, Nguyen 3-29, Keenan Curran 2-60, James Homan 2-59, Colin Bingham 1-44, Josh Horner 1-(-3). White: Jerry Louie-McGee 6-175, Makena Simis 3-13, Homan 2-62, McCombs 2-13, Eric Williams 1-17, Mitch McLaughlin 1-9.

Defensive statistics

Tackle leaders - Maroon: Tucker Schye 7, Dante Olson 7, Gage Smith 7, Alex Thomas 6, Nate Bradley 5. White: Josh Sandry 6, Caleb Kidder 4, James Banks 3, Josh Buss 3.

Sacks - Maroon (7): Schye 3-20, Bradley 1.5-6, Olson 1-9, Cy Sirmon 1-10, Donald Bedell 0-5-2. White (3): Kidder 1-6, Zach Peevey 1-6, Jesse Sims 1-10.

Interceptions - Maroon: Jerrin Williams 1-4. White: none.

Fumble recoveries - Maroon: none. White: Sandry 1-0, Sims 1-0.

Blocks - Maroon: Shane Moody, Ryan McKinley. White: none.

Special teams statistics

Missed field goals - Maroon: Tim Semenza 39, 26. White: Brandon Purdy 47 (blocked).

Punting - Maroon: Eric Williams 7-39.7. White: Patrick LeCorre 6-39.3, Austin Carver 2-27.5.

How could you not be just gushing over McGee? Could that be a little bit of Levander or MM there? Let me be the first to wish the young man a long & healthy run @ it.

Stitt should just go against his philosophy and always go for it on 4th down and never kick a pat.......solves the k/p issue

My guess is we are losing a few of the Stitt back biting bashers.

Some will never be happy but I see some good signs.

ITYS

It amazes me that with the popularity of things like scrimmages now, that UM, with its Radio-TV department, media arts program, and vast collective of Main Hall bureaucrats aggressively seeking new and better ways to communicate with the public, that they can't give the Radio-TV kids some hands on production work and live-stream these things.

UMGriz75 said:
It amazes me that with the popularity of things like scrimmages now, that UM, with its Radio-TV department, media arts program, and vast collective of Main Hall bureaucrats aggressively seeking new and better ways to communicate with the public, that they can't give the Radio-TV kids some hands on production work and live-stream these things.

Makes too damned much sense.

UMGriz75 said:

Doesn't amaze me. @ this point and being significantly closer than I am in relation to everything UM, not sure why it would be amazing to you. Some would tell you that Stitt would want things under wraps - until they lift the lid in September. I think that's BS - everyone already knows what he's trying to do. The U is always a day or more late and likely dollars short of making things like this happen. Maybe having NAU broadcast their game this year will cause some thought to be given to doing the same. And maybe not.

No reason Montana can't be closer to the leading edge rather than the lagging indicator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back