• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stay Classy, EWU Fans...

Perhaps it wasn't just the journalist observation on Sat.?
http://www.itemonline.com/opinion/article_195022b2-2df4-11e4-b738-001a4bcf887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sammy94 said:
http://www.itemonline.com/opinion/article_195022b2-2df4-11e4-b738-001a4bcf887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Uh oh. There goes that justification, ewoo.

Most recently, during our trip to Cheney, Washington, and the campus of Eastern Washington University, our players had to endure numerous derogatory comments from many of their “fans” during the trek from the locker room to the playing field.

These comments were peppered with various profanities and vulgarities one would not normally expect from people possessed of any degree of class or education.

The situation worsened as the team entered the field to organized, profane chants from the stands, and was capped off by aggressive verbal assaults as our team headed toward the locker room at the end of the contest.

EverettGriz said:
Sammy94 said:

Most recently, during our trip to Cheney, Washington, and the campus of Eastern Washington University, our players had to endure numerous derogatory comments from many of their “fans” during the trek from the locker room to the playing field.

These comments were peppered with various profanities and vulgarities one would not normally expect from people possessed of any degree of class or education.

The situation worsened as the team entered the field to organized, profane chants from the stands, and was capped off by aggressive verbal assaults as our team headed toward the locker room at the end of the contest.

You seem constipated. I'd suggest some prune juice.[/quote]

EverettGriz said:
Sammy94 said:

"Blame the ushers."

sharpton1.jpg

The situation worsened as the team entered the field to organized, profane chants from the stands,

The Horror!

Come on eGriz, this person obviously didn't attend the game. You should know as well as any that Roos field doesn't have the environment to create unified, organized chants. Our student section can hardly follow the cheer leaders.

I agree that it looks like sour grapes for sure. However, someone I trust told me it was pretty bad, and I believe it. Shitty fan behavior has happened before at almost all stadiums, and will happen again. EWU fans need to just admit it was embarrassing and get over it. It doesn't mean you're all malicious, but trying to act like it wasn't a problem reinforces the pervasive douche stereotype the rest of the nation attributes to EWU fans. And, remember, it's not a stereotype if it's always true. :thumb:

Sammy94 said:

Actually a very interesting letter in that in addition to the commenting on the BS in Cheney on Saturday, the writer comments bad behavior toward visiting teams in general, including by the SHSU fans at their stadium. We need to make sure visitors (both teams and fans) are treated with respect at Wa-Griz.

Has anyone else sat in the second row behind the visiting bench at Washington Grizzly Stadium for 20+ games? Good God, UM fans used to take pride in intimidating opposing players, and heckling them. Still do, yet now Griz fans are whining about other very good teams having fans that heckle opposing players? I guess if you can't beat a team on the field, the "classy" card comes out next. It's irony at its finest.

CDAGRIZ said:
I agree that it looks like sour grapes for sure. However, someone I trust told me it was pretty bad, and I believe it. Shitty fan behavior has happened before at almost all stadiums, and will happen again. EWU fans need to just admit it was embarrassing and get over it. It doesn't mean you're all malicious, but trying to act like it wasn't a problem reinforces the pervasive douche stereotype the rest of the nation attributes to EWU fans. And, remember, it's not a stereotype if it's always true. :thumb:

I agree that the drunk fan who got arrested was embarrassing. I also wish we had a better enter and exit strategy for opposing teams. Besides those two details, this is being blown way out of proportion.

NorthwestFresh said:

Has anyone else sat in the second row behind the visiting bench at Washington Grizzly Stadium for 20+ games? Good God, UM fans used to take pride in intimidating opposing players, and heckling them. Still do, yet now Griz fans are whining about other very good teams having fans that heckle opposing players? I guess if you can't beat a team on the field, the "classy" card comes out next. It's irony at its finest.

Or, it's not ironic at all.

polsongrizz said:
Great Day To Be An Eagle said:
OH god.... surprised it took this long for this to end up here on eGriz.

A few facts to point out.

1) no one rushed the field.
I don't believe that for a second. I have been at ewu games for a couple of decades, even playoff games that we were not involved in. Not once has your fans (typically drunk ass students) not rushed the field after a win ever since the games were moved to cheney. That is a fact and you know it. :shock:
BTW, this is a simple fix. Do what we do, DO NOT allow fans on the field until the opposing team has left. You are just inviting trouble for absolutely no reason. Sad thing is anybody with half a brain can see that.
Polson;
I won't call you retarded but you must have LESS than 1/2 a brain because you are absolutely wrong. This incident DID NOT happen on the field. It happened near the lower concession stand where the fans leave the stadium and the players from both sides walk across to the locker rooms. The only possible way to keep fans away from players would be to hold all fans in the stands until after the players have left the field or visa versa. Not practical.
It would be wise for you to withhold judgement until you know what you are speaking of.

UMclassof2002 said:
EverettGriz said:
Sammy94 said:

"Blame the ushers."

sharpton1.jpg
:clap: good one!

The Eastern Washington athletic department knew the game was a sellout. They knew there would be drunk fans walking through Sam Houston’s path to the locker room after the game. They didn’t know if any of those fans had snuck in a weapon. They had no idea how the circumstances would play out, and were willing to risk the safety of their own fans, as well as Bearkats’ players and coaches just because they didn’t care enough to organize a secure exit path from the field. It wouldn’t have required much effort, and could have avoided a potentially dangerous situation.

So 87 people were there? Forgive me if I missed someone else posting something similar...

AZDoc said:
The Eastern Washington athletic department knew the game was a sellout. They knew there would be drunk fans walking through Sam Houston’s path to the locker room after the game. They didn’t know if any of those fans had snuck in a weapon. They had no idea how the circumstances would play out, and were willing to risk the safety of their own fans, as well as Bearkats’ players and coaches just because they didn’t care enough to organize a secure exit path from the field. It wouldn’t have required much effort, and could have avoided a potentially dangerous situation.

So 87 people were there? Forgive me if I missed someone else posting something similar...

If someone wanted to shoot a player in plain sight, they could do it at every college event in the United States.

AZDoc said:

It is obvious you do not know the layout of the field, the stands, and the locker rooms. As I mentioned in previous post the only option to keep fans apart from players would be to hold one group or the other until they are cleared. Not Practical!

Rjones61 said:
The situation worsened as the team entered the field to organized, profane chants from the stands,

The Horror!

Come on eGriz, this person obviously didn't attend the game. You should know as well as any that Roos field doesn't have the environment to create unified, organized chants. Our student section can hardly follow the cheer leaders.

Wait! Is that a an admission? The only valid point in all of the EWU fans vain attempts to justify this that is actually valid.

Rjones61 said:
AZDoc said:

If someone wanted to shoot a player in plain sight, they could do it at every college event in the United States.

Totally. Something very similar almost happened last year . . .

Latest posts

Back