• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tell me what you would have done differently with the O-line

I yi yi"........now were down playing the fact we have a less than mean front line. We're continuing to coach them according to Mick. I'm not sure how to take that but to say they are green as the grass and we have no flippin idea what's going to happen on the field. We need nasty ass men not ones who need being continully coached. If this discussion is even taking place tells me were in a pack of trouble.

I have zero concern, whatsoever, about the interior line. They will come together with more practice and perform well as the season goes on. There is also quality depth in the interior backing up the starters.

The fact that one starting tackle is a former Lewis & Clark College TE and the other starting tackle is a former walk-on that switched from guard to tackle in fall camp is, to say the least, scary. That doesn't mean they won't do well, but this isn't the story you expect to play out at Montana. What happened to the development of Max Kelly and Clint LaRowe? I'm still baffled by this.

I'm not sure at which point the coaching staff became aware of Schmaing's grades and Poole's back, but I'm betting it was probably no later than June. I would have liked to see them nail down a big-time transfer tackle. They did get Jared Clark, a JC transfer. He appears very athletic, but he his fairly light and I haven't heard anything about him this fall - where is his impact? I was really hoping for a transfer from the PAC-12 or a another mature o-lineman from any FBS school that could make an instant impact

Word out of camp is that the o-line has been opening enough holes for the first team to run pretty well over the past week. The o-line situation is scary to all casual griz fans, but hopefully in time we will see there is adequate quality. I really wish Dahl from Spokane would have stayed. He would have been a great tackle and now he starts at WSU.

Time to make lemonade out of lemons and go kick a little ass!

PlayerRep said:
People complained about last year's o-line, which had 3 guys signed by the NFL and 2 still on NFL rosters. One was first team all-conference and all-american, I believe. Because of the bad-line last year, UM was only 14th in the nation in scoring and 15th in the nation in total offense.
You sound satisfied with 14th and 15th (the team was #8). Rejecting criticism has to be hard work....

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
People complained about last year's o-line, which had 3 guys signed by the NFL and 2 still on NFL rosters. One was first team all-conference and all-american, I believe. Because of the bad-line last year, UM was only 14th in the nation in scoring and 15th in the nation in total offense.
You sound satisfied with 14th and 15th (the team was #8). Rejecting criticism has to be hard work....

Also, we struggled mightily to run the ball at times, many times. And that was with three NFL caliber linemen which we will not have this year. Part of the problem last year, IMO, was that when we did struggle to run the ball everyone on the field, sidelines and in the stands knew we were going to run the ball.

AZGrizFan said:
It's the gaping hole from 2011 that's killing us right now. Basically 0-4 in that group.
Can't really blame that gap on this staff but I have no problem blaming the bigger mistake (2013) on them. It's one thing to miss on 4 OLs (in 2011) but at least they tried. To have only one in the 2013 class (and he was a grey shirt?) while the rest of the class was basically all skill positions and DBs, including MickyD (the player). Only one out of 24!?! 29-ish if we count WOs? And at that time, wasn't the 2011 gap becoming obvious?

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

Didn't say anything about being "satisfied" with anything? Can you point to the words indicating statisfaction.

Having non-playoff teams like these ahead of UM in scoring or total offense isn't a big deal to me: Princeton, San Diego, Prairie View, Mercer.

My running circles around you on football knowledge must be hard on you. You are pretty good at catching typographical errors, tho.

It's way too early to worry about the O line. That said, if I had a group of younger, lighter o linemen I might use a lot of hurry up- no huddle and try to run a lot of short routes passing and run to the outside and basically try to wear down a big d line that way since we may not be able to have our way pushing them around. But I never played the game.

Buttegrizzle said:
It's way too early to worry about the O line. That said, if I had a group of younger, lighter o linemen I might use a lot of hurry up- no huddle and try to run a lot of short routes passing and run to the outside and basically try to wear down a big d line that way since we may not be able to have our way pushing them around. But I never played the game.

It is way too early for twenty-somethings to worry about saving for retirement also..

dupuyer griz said:
The line makes up 5/22 of your team not counting special teams. I would hope that we would try to bring in enough to have that group fill spots. i.e. at least 5 per year
10-3 (2)
11-4 (0)
12-5 (5)
13-1 (1)
14-4 (4)
If you look at what has left or retired we average 2.4 per year and we don't know how these are all going to stack out yet. I just think it is too important of a position to miss out on. You can go a year and miss any position, but you have to fill it out. If we don't get a TE this year we'll make it, but we have to get at least 3-4 who (can) at some point start. If we are doing a zone blocking scheme it is fine to have these smaller faster linemen, but the pro set is based on power running and I just don't think our linemen are going to manage enough. Can they do good? Yes. Will they? That remains to be seen. I have never said our line will be awful, I just don't think we've done a good job of recruiting the beef and the character to stick it out. Can this be fixed...yes it can. I hope the transfers fit well and we line out ok, but I'm not sold it will be ok yet.
AllWeatherFan said:
So, to summarize, lots of people are bitching, but nobody is answering Brint's question.

Well, based on the above analysis, I'd say they should have brought in at LEAST 4 additional bodies over the past 5 years, bringing the average up to 5/year, to account for attrition...

AZGrizFan said:
dupuyer griz said:
The line makes up 5/22 of your team not counting special teams. I would hope that we would try to bring in enough to have that group fill spots. i.e. at least 5 per year
10-3 (2)
11-4 (0)
12-5 (5)
13-1 (1)
14-4 (4)
If you look at what has left or retired we average 2.4 per year and we don't know how these are all going to stack out yet. I just think it is too important of a position to miss out on. You can go a year and miss any position, but you have to fill it out. If we don't get a TE this year we'll make it, but we have to get at least 3-4 who (can) at some point start. If we are doing a zone blocking scheme it is fine to have these smaller faster linemen, but the pro set is based on power running and I just don't think our linemen are going to manage enough. Can they do good? Yes. Will they? That remains to be seen. I have never said our line will be awful, I just don't think we've done a good job of recruiting the beef and the character to stick it out. Can this be fixed...yes it can. I hope the transfers fit well and we line out ok, but I'm not sold it will be ok yet.

AllWeatherFan said:
So, to summarize, lots of people are bitching, but nobody is answering Brint's question.

Well, based on the above analysis, I'd say they should have brought in at LEAST 4 additional bodies over the past 5 years, bringing the average up to 5/year, to account for attrition...

Yes, I'll buy the numbers argument to some extent. The "character to stick it out" argument - not so much.

AllWeatherFan said:
Yes, I'll buy the numbers argument to some extent. The "character to stick it out" argument - not so much.

No doubt losing Poole, Schmaing and (essentially) Kalekini all in a span of about 6 months put a crimp in their long-term plans. Wonder if Kalekini is regretting his decision now? Dude would be a starter for sure if he'd have stayed...

AZGrizFan said:
AllWeatherFan said:

No doubt losing Poole, Schmaing and (essentially) Kalekini all in a span of about 6 months put a crimp in their long-term plans. Wonder if Kalekini is regretting his decision now? Dude would be a starter for sure if he'd have stayed...

Not sure his decision was really based on football

In an attempt to answer BW's question Directly, two things stick out that bother me:

1. Someone already mentioned it, but 2011's recruiting class has killed the depth for us. Which in and of itself, isn't an issue, as recruits leave all the time. However, to not make up for this is a clear lack in judgement. In 2013 we recruited 1 lineman. Why not bring in a dropdown, or at least go aggressive at recruiting O-line that could potentially play right away? We didn't recover from a 'lost year' of recruiting lineman. In fact, we lost ground.

2. How is it humanly possible to let one of your ONLY returning O-Lineman not make grades????? This one is frustrating to me. Admittedly, I don't know the reason for his ineligability, but how can a coaching staff let this happen??? If the kid is flat not going to class, and not responding to discipline, how is he not kicked off the team?? It was widely rumored that he 'might be ineligible' going in to fall camp, then he was ruled eligible. Then he had an illness. Then he was ruled out for the season. As a coaching staff- you either have to get your guys (especially your key guys)class, and if they are not going to class, get them out of there. At least you can move full spedd ahead with replacing him with the next guy.

With that said, I'm looking forward to seeing this group improve over the season, and looking to see how Gerb's continues to make these young guys bigger and stronger. With the skill we have on "O", we have a great chance to alleviate some of the lack in O-line experience, and get our guys in space to make plays. In case y'all have forgot, we have a dude named Jordan Johnson who thrives on rolling out, evading the pass rush, and making plays. We've also got some serious athletes in the backfield that can make things happen, and a deep receiving corp (Ellis Henderson is a big loss, but others have stepped up).

As a former O-lineman, I get it: it all starts up front. But this year's team has a Defense to keep us in ballgames ( I think), and an "O" stocked with skill position talent, so we might just have a team that can overcome an O-line weakness.

GO GRIZ

Guardiangriz said:
As a former O-lineman, I get it: it all starts up front. But this year's team has a Defense to keep us in ballgames ( I think), and an "O" stocked with skill position talent, so we might just have a team that can overcome an O-line weakness.

GO GRIZ
I worry that in the new Big Sky our D will still give up lots of points to some of these teams. honestly, I think it will take at least 36 to beat EWU and maybe more likely 43. Can our line get us there? Is it likely that we operate a little more out of the gun to give Johnson a little more time? Again, not saying we are screwed for the season, just pointing out that 21 will not win many of these games. I see some low scoring games out there that our D will help a lot with, but playing EWU, NDSU, Wyoming and SUU(not sure if their D will be what it was, points will come at a premium. Also, The offense has to stay on the field to keep the D from getting worn down in the 4th. 3 and out will not cut it much this year.

PlayerRep said:
My running circles around you on football knowledge must be hard on you. You are pretty good at catching typographical errors, tho.
You do seem to run around in circles... Probably makes it easier to pat yourself on the back....

When the misuse of the English language confuses the message, it is not a typographical error; it's either ignorance or slop. Asshloe is a typographical error, the meaning is not lost.

Back