• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tell me what you would have done differently with the O-line

spsyk said:
Coaching staff should have anticipated Schmaing, academic prowess, considering it was a problem last season, and the same with Poole's back problems! which also were a problem last season.

With that said, preparation we're being adjusted during fall camp, preparing under class men to get ready, and ready they will be.

This OL will surprise the faithful, and maybe will excel, besides, what choice is there game time is six day away.

Schmaing, should work on his degree, and look after his mother, while Poole should evaluate his back problems, get his degree, and not have to live medicated to get thru live.

So, every time a player has low but acceptable grades or a nagging injury, we should get replacements lined up? That's pretty funny. I don't think there's enough room on the roster, or enough schollies, to do that.

I think overall, the staff has done a decent job recruiting. However, I'd had like to see us recruit more linemen the past couple classes, especially two years ago. Even with TP and JS, our depth was pretty light.

Goes to show how the scholarship limitations has an impact on overall team depth.

Also, I don't think getting drop downs or JC transfers is always the answer. It is much easier said than done saying that we can just go out there and get decent drop downs...

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
People complained about last year's o-line, which had 3 guys signed by the NFL and 2 still on NFL rosters. One was first team all-conference and all-american, I believe. Because of the bad-line last year, UM was only 14th in the nation in scoring and 15th in the nation in total offense.
You sound satisfied with 14th and 15th (the team was #8). Rejecting criticism has to be hard work....

Didn't say anything about being "satisfied" with anything? Can you point to the words indicating statisfaction.

Having non-playoff teams like these ahead of UM in scoring or total offense isn't a big deal to me: Princeton, San Diego, Prairie View, Mercer.

My running circles around you on football knowledge must be hard on you. You are pretty good at catching typographical errors, tho.
:lol: :clap:

Since when is being a psychic part of coaching? I am pretty neutral on Delaney and staff. There is no way what happened to Poole and Schmaing can be put on this staff. We will know Delaney has officially lost it when the GRIZ decide to put a psychic on payroll. Sad thing is, some egrizzers would support it!

mtgrizrule said:
Since when is being a psychic part of coaching? I am pretty neutral on Delaney and staff. There is no way what happened to Poole and Schmaing can be put on this staff. We will know Delaney has officially lost it when the GRIZ decide to put a psychic on payroll. Sad thing is, some egrizzers would support it!

For the most part I would agree with that statement. But they DID fail in 2013, delivering only ONE O-lineman....that, in and of itself, isn't helping our current situation.

I don't expect them to be psychic, I expect them to be prepared....I don't think Poole's back issues just materialized over night, nor did Schmaings tough issues just happen a week ago. Luck favors the prepared, and it seems like Delaney and company have rarely been "prepared" at all.

This thread is kinda like that Twitter dibacle where Mark Emmert asks for ideas on how to improve the NCAA.
Remax, did you check with PR before starting this thread to make sure his schedule is open?

Did Poole get his scholarship back and if Schmaing was under one would he lose it because of this? The writing was on the wall at the beginning of last year that we had o-line issues. I have no idea who decided not recruit quality offensive lineman but IMO it falls on Delaney. I mean were an injury away from disaster. With that said I hope the current line over achieves but I have a pit in my stomach right now. :oops:

nzone said:
Did Poole get his scholarship back and if Schmaing was under one would he lose it because of this? The writing was on the wall at the beginning of last year that we had o-line issues. I have no idea who decided not recruit quality offensive lineman but IMO it falls on Delaney. I mean were an injury away from disaster. With that said I hope the current line over achieves but I have a pit in my stomach right now. :oops:

So, you've already passed judgement on the current bunch? :roll:

Let's see a converted TE who is a bit under sized starting on JJ's blind side seems to make me wonder. The one Hines brother who is now a senior has no starts and very limited playing time seems to make me wonder. Not one of the other recruits who were recruited as offensive lineman could step up? Believe me when I was in Missoula last Friday there is concern. Stop the run and make us one dimensional and boom!
AZGrizFan said:
nzone said:

So, you've already passed judgement on the current bunch? :roll:

While Poole's back issues may be career-ending and preclude application of a medical RS, Schmaing has a year of eligibility remaining after losing this year. I would hope to see him back in 2015; bigger, stronger and with a chip on his shoulder.

1. did Schmaing play as a true frosh? If so he could sit out a redshirt season and come back next year, couldn't he?
2. with the 2 losses this month, I would have looked at my D line prospects (not starters) to see if I had any players I could convert.

Here is what I can't figure. If I understand a recent Missoulian article correctly, Jackson Thiebes played TE at a Juco in 2012, was cut by the Griz in 2013 (presumably he was trying out as a walk-on) and finds himself the starter at left tackle in 2014. To me there must be something wrong with the player development system if Thiebes is able to beat-out players in their third year as a Griz. I guess the question is, what have those guys been doing for the last two years?

I strongly agree with nzone and Brint, the staff while not clairvoyant, was caught with its pants down by assuming they would have no attrition on the O line for 2014--they guessed wrong and the season hasn't even started. What happens if we lose 1-2 more linemen to injury as the season progresses ?

Given that the unexpected should be expected--injuries, grades, losing interest, etc., it was a huge mistake to only recruit 1 O lineman in 2013, given that Coach D and Gragg knew they had 3 starters on the line that were seniors and would need to be replaced in 2014. Coach D isn't responsible for 20111--Pflu is, but he is responsible for 2013 and given his longtime experience as a college football coach, the idea that kids will quit football, have career-ending injuries, become academically ineligible, transfer to another school, etc., is not a new concept to him.
Going into the 2013 season, he knew he would have big shoes to fill and yet he recruited only 1 O lineman, He would have made it if Poole's back injury hadn't flared up, Schmaing had hit the books, and Kalenki hadn't transferred, but going into the 2013 recruiting season, he had to know his margin of error on the O line for 2014 was very thin. And so he recruited 1 O lineman !!!

Hopefully, we will have at least 2-3 O lineman in future classes depending on scholarships available.

And when Schmaing's grades started going south last year, the staff should have been all over it. I don't know what degree of academic monitoring this staff does, but it would seem plausible that is a step down from The Hauck Era. The most important accomplishment these kids leave Missoula with is their degree, and if a kid doesn't want to study and earn good grades and a degree, he shouldn't be on the team.

Finally, what happened to the development of Clint LaRowe and Max Kelly that they get beat out by Jackson Thebes, who a year ago was cut from the team while Kelly and LaRowe were playing as backups last year. These two should have been ready to step up, but as evidenced by Thiebes now starting ahead of them, that didn't happen. Why? How does a walkon cut from the team in 2013 vault ahead of 2 scholarship O linemen in 2014 ?

mcg said:
Here is what I can't figure. If I understand a recent Missoulian article correctly, Jackson Thiebes played TE at a Juco in 2012, was cut by the Griz in 2013 (presumably he was trying out as a walk-on) and finds himself the starter at left tackle in 2014. To me there must be something wrong with the player development system if Thiebes is able to beat-out players in their third year as a Griz. I guess the question is, what have those guys been doing for the last two years?

Obviously not working harder than Mr. Thiebes...

:coffee:

billingsgriz said:
Finally, what happened to the development of Clint LaRowe and Max Kelly that they get beat out by Jackson Thebes, who a year ago was cut from the team while Kelly and LaRowe were playing as backups last year. These two should have been ready to step up, but as evidenced by Thiebes now starting ahead of them, that didn't happen. Why? How does a walkon cut from the team in 2013 vault ahead of 2 scholarship O linemen in 2014 ?

How does a walkon vault ahead of scholarship players, successfully start for multiple years and then end up in the NFL? Perhaps we should ask Colt Anderson or Marc Mariani.

It CAN happen. And we'd better hope that's the case here. :eek:

LakGriz said:
1. did Schmaing play as a true frosh? If so he could sit out a redshirt season and come back next year, couldn't he?
Schmaing was a redshirt in 2011. RS Fr in 2012; RS So in 2013. He loses his RS 2014 season to ineligibility but has his RS Sr season in 2015 if he has the motivation to stay with it. I hope he does; he was a really good player in 2013; he could be great in 2015.

Back