• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Tell me what you would have done differently with the O-line

So with Poole and Schmaing, UM would have had 3 seniors, 1 junior, 7 soph, and 3 frosh--combing true's and redshirt's. The only slight gap is the low number of juniors (4 recruits, 3 now gone, and 1 ineligible).

I'm still hoping that a number of the untested and young plays step up, and that the ones with some experience also step it up a notch or two.

Guardiangriz said:
In an attempt to answer BW's question Directly, two things stick out that bother me:

1. Someone already mentioned it, but 2011's recruiting class has killed the depth for us. Which in and of itself, isn't an issue, as recruits leave all the time. However, to not make up for this is a clear lack in judgement. In 2013 we recruited 1 lineman. Why not bring in a dropdown, or at least go aggressive at recruiting O-line that could potentially play right away? We didn't recover from a 'lost year' of recruiting lineman. In fact, we lost ground.

Two things: We didn't lose 3 of the 4 until the last six months, and two of those were in the last 2 weeks. Hard to "make up for that" without knowing it was going to happen in advance. Where the real mistake was made, IMHO, was the single recruit in 2013. There's really no excuse for only adding one recruit in a position that (as pointed out earlier) is 5/22 of the starters on the team.

2011 sure was a bust. I'm not the "worst line ever" strawman you're after, BW, but I've stated the absence of players from that class is the root of the problem. Can't see how you can argue about it.

griz4life said:
2011 sure was a bust. I'm not the "worst line ever" strawman you're after, BW, but I've stated the absence of players from that class is the root of the problem. Can't see how you can argue about it.

2013 will give it a run for its money. At least we got some good years out of Schmaing and Poole before they were gone. That possibility barely even exists with 2013.

griz4life said:

I assume you know the difference between arguing about something and asking what you (or anyone) would have done different? Two different topics. I haven't noticed Brint arguing about anything, but I haven't been looking closely.

i would discover that greenie's alleged college football experience was a fake. since that would make him immediately eligible, i'd stick him at center, figuring his effective radius as a repellent would keep jj free long enough for his safekeeping.

Knowing one player has a serious back problem (yes they knew) and relying on an NCAA hardship on another without getting at least one drop down was a risky gamble.... that failed.

Ursus1 said:
Knowing one player has a serious back problem (yes they knew) and relying on an NCAA hardship on another without getting at least one drop down was a risky gamble.... that failed.

But they got a JC o-line. Doesn't that count? If a good drop down had become available after they knew these 2 guys were in danger, I assume they would have taken one. I think most drop downs who play spring ball for their FBS teams tend to come available shortly after spring ball and not after school is over for the year.

Ursus1 said:

Were there any drop-downs available, or interested? They added a JuCo... technically two JuCo's with Theibes.

Maybe they looked but didn't find any that fit, or wanted to come here. I don't think there's this magical pool out there where we could just go, "ok we need a drop down tackle" and suddenly we have a whole group to pick from.

Kind of difficult trying to bring in drop downs if u don't have scholarships to offer as well. Not like they could just pull Poole's and Schmaing's (even if they knew they weren't going to be able to play). Pretty tough position to be in, now they have to piece it together and hope for the best.

GrizzleMoose said:
Kind of difficult trying to bring in drop downs if u don't have scholarships to offer as well. Not like they could just pull Poole's and Schmaing's (even if they knew they weren't going to be able to play). Pretty tough position to be in, now they have to piece it together and hope for the best.

There were any number of scholarships they could have pulled to address the problem in 2013 and chose not to.

PlayerRep said:
Ursus1 said:

But they got a JC o-line. Doesn't that count? If a good drop down had become available after they knew these 2 guys were in danger, I assume they would have taken one. I think most drop downs who play spring ball for their FBS teams tend to come available shortly after spring ball and not after school is over for the year.

As I argued on page one of this thread, it was clear Schmaing was in trouble by no later than the beginning of June, probably sooner. It was also known for some time that Poole's back wasn't doing well. So they went out and got a athletic, but light JC transfer - one that has made no impact so far in fall camp (did he even participate this fall because I've nothing about him?).

Seldom do I disagree with you PR, but they should have talked to all their coaching buddies in the FBS and made sure to get a mature transfer tackle that was ready to play and make an impact now. It was a cheap insurance policy that apparently wasn't purchased. Still hoping this is a non-issue, but I have deep concerns about the tackle. I can't wait to be proven wrong...

PlayerRep said:
So with Poole and Schmaing, UM would have had 3 seniors, 1 junior, 7 soph, and 3 frosh--combing true's and redshirt's. The only slight gap is the low number of juniors (4 recruits, 3 now gone, and 1 ineligible).

I'm still hoping that a number of the untested and young plays step up, and that the ones with some experience also step it up a notch or two.

Do you not know the difference between a "slight gap" and an entire class without a single participating offensive lineman?? Do you not know the different between a "low number" of juniors and none at all?

go96griz said:
PlayerRep said:
Ursus1 said:

As I argued on page one of this thread, it was clear Schmaing was in trouble by no later than the beginning of June, probably sooner. It was also known for some time that Poole's back wasn't doing well. So they went out and got a athletic, but light JC transfer - one that has made no impact so far in fall camp (did he even participate this fall because I've nothing about him?).

Seldom do I disagree with you PR, but they should have talked to all their coaching buddies in the FBS and made sure to get a mature transfer tackle that was ready to play and make an impact now. It was a cheap insurance policy that apparently wasn't purchased. Still hoping this is a non-issue, but I have deep concerns about the tackle. I can't wait to be proven wrong...

I don't think it was known early that Poole wouldn't, or probably wouldn't, be able to play. The coaches were looking for a drop down, and in fact, I believe they were in touch with one or more. I think it's rare that a drop down o-lineman is ready to play immediately in a meaningful way. Quinn was. Who else has UM gotten who was ready to play right away on the o-line. Not saying there weren't some, but just can't think of any. Don't think Horn or Russum were in the mix immediately, but, again, don't recall their first years. The JC transfer has been practicing. I don't think it's cheap insurance when you don't have scholarships, and you don't really know if the kid can play right away.

in answer to the thread's question -
i would have had them all out selling real estate this summer.

Coaching staff should have anticipated Schmaing, academic prowess, considering it was a problem last season, and the same with Poole's back problems! which also were a problem last season.

With that said, preparation we're being adjusted during fall camp, preparing under class men to get ready, and ready they will be.

This OL will surprise the faithful, and maybe will excel, besides, what choice is there game time is six day away.

Schmaing, should work on his degree, and look after his mother, while Poole should evaluate his back problems, get his degree, and not have to live medicated to get thru live.

Last year with our three NFL lineman we had trouble running the ball in short yardage situations. In reviewing the tape, it appeared--at times--they didn't know who to block.
Sometimes schemes negate size and experience.

go96griz said:
I have zero concern, whatsoever, about the interior line. They will come together with more practice and perform well as the season goes on. There is also quality depth in the interior backing up the starters.

The fact that one starting tackle is a former Lewis & Clark College TE and the other starting tackle is a former walk-on that switched from guard to tackle in fall camp is, to say the least, scary. That doesn't mean they won't do well, but this isn't the story you expect to play out at Montana. What happened to the development of Max Kelly and Clint LaRowe? I'm still baffled by this.

I'm not sure at which point the coaching staff became aware of Schmaing's grades and Poole's back, but I'm betting it was probably no later than June. I would have liked to see them nail down a big-time transfer tackle. They did get Jared Clark, a JC transfer. He appears very athletic, but he his fairly light and I haven't heard anything about him this fall - where is his impact? I was really hoping for a transfer from the PAC-12 or a another mature o-lineman from any FBS school that could make an instant impact

Word out of camp is that the o-line has been opening enough holes for the first team to run pretty well over the past week. The o-line situation is scary to all casual griz fans, but hopefully in time we will see there is adequate quality. I really wish Dahl from Spokane would have stayed. He would have been a great tackle and now he starts at WSU.

Time to make lemonade out of lemons and go kick a little ass!

I agree with go96griz post...and I think we may have underestimated in evaluation of talent in recruiting or Kelly and la rowe need to be coached up better than they have been,,,they should not be leap frogged over by a former tight end or a transfer imo, that has not played that position,, nor been with the team...being a former o/l, there is a HUGE difference in a soph and a senior...game time blitz that defensive coordinators put in to confuse blocking assignment etc are very real and decisions are made by all of the line in a fraction of a second as to zone block, head up block, man inside ,block blitzer, block down....it's a "cluster" if your line is not mature, and everyone has each others back side, and know what to do....having had my say, I hope these young sophs become seniors, come Saturday,,,it will be a huge challenge for them...as always go griz !

griz4life said:
PlayerRep said:

Do you not know the difference between a "slight gap" and an entire class without a single participating offensive lineman?? Do you not know the different between a "low number" of juniors and none at all?

The slight gap is in the entire group of o-line players/recruits. You realize that all classes get to play, not just one class, don't you? One of the juniors will presumably be back next year. There are 7 sophomores. Thus, 7 soph/juniors this year, and 8 junior/seniors next year. Like I said, slight gap. Also, 3 seniors, with 1 hurt. Thus, 11 soph/junior/seniors, with 2 hurt/ineligible. 11 in the soph/junior/senior group doesn't seem light to me.

Latest posts

Back