• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

That was ugly

Htowngriz said:
Big G said:
BWahlberg said:
Did I miss any other ugliness?

Just UC Davis defense being at the bottom of the Bsc, but keep putting lipstick on the pig, you seem good at that and personal attacks.
So you're upset that we only scored 42 points and put up 500 yards? What would be an acceptable number of points and yards for you and your buddy not to be mortified?

Where in my previous post does it say I am upset or mortified? Quit being a jerk and trying to create drama.

Big G said:
Sad how far the premier flagship has fallen. We didn't turn the ball over today so that is a good thing, other than that there was nothing to be happy about. Playing a UC Davis team that close is a tragedy.

"Premier flagship?" Whatevs Captain Redundant lol

Big G said:
Htowngriz said:
Big G said:
BWahlberg said:
Did I miss any other ugliness?

Just UC Davis defense being at the bottom of the Bsc, but keep putting lipstick on the pig, you seem good at that and personal attacks.
So you're upset that we only scored 42 points and put up 500 yards? What would be an acceptable number of points and yards for you and your buddy not to be mortified?

Where in my previous post does it say I am upset or mortified? Quit being a jerk and trying to create drama.
I'm creating drama? Says the guy calling a 14 point win a tragedy. :roll:

Htowngriz said:
Big G said:
Htowngriz said:
Big G said:

I'm creating drama? Says the guy calling a 14 point win a tragedy. :roll:

speaking of drama, why haven't you told that girl at the end of the beer drinking line to quit giving me the eye? it gets old.

BWahlberg said:
they did just about what UCD allows in almost all categories.

That's what's making me a little cautious about being too optimistic about the improvements we saw yesterday. It was done against a very bad defense, one of the worst in the FCS.

Next week is the beginning of our "Lets see what we really got" stretch of the conference schedule. 5-2 is probably what many of us (including the ones not enthralled by Delaney and company) thought we'd be at this point in the season. Starting next week instead of smacking around bad & mediocre offenses and mostly bottom-half to awful defenses we start to face VERY good offenses and...well... still mostly bad defenses.

Cal Poly right now is #1 in the country in rushing offense, #14 in total offense and #24 in scoring offense. 4 of our next 5 opponents are top 20 offense teams in the FCS. The 5th (SUU) is a great passing team (#6) but doesn't do so well scoring or anything else for that matter.

So this will be a great test for our very good D starting next week. I think it's going to be very important for our offense to take advantage of the bad defenses and hopefully make the TOP battle a little more equal giving our D a rest so they don't tire out late in the game. Right now we are one of the worst in TOP, and 3 of the 5 teams we face are very good in that category (CP, EWU & MSU).

So it's crunch time for the Griz. We get to see what our D is truly made of and hopefully get to see some good offensive production as well!

Was Greg Hardy even at the game? I am almost positive his wife said he had a game and couldn't make it. I did have a few beers so may be off.

Potomac Griz said:
I think it's going to be very important for our offense to take advantage of the bad defenses and hopefully make the TOP battle a little more equal giving our D a rest so they don't tire out late in the game. Right now we are one of the worst in TOP, and 3 of the 5 teams we face are very good in that category (CP, EWU & MSU).
I could not disagree more, at least with respect to CP. We'll never beat them at their own game so why even try? History has proven, the way to beat this team is thru the air and not on the ground so TOP means little in this game.

garizzalies said:
Potomac Griz said:
I think it's going to be very important for our offense to take advantage of the bad defenses and hopefully make the TOP battle a little more equal giving our D a rest so they don't tire out late in the game. Right now we are one of the worst in TOP, and 3 of the 5 teams we face are very good in that category (CP, EWU & MSU).
I could not disagree more, at least with respect to CP. We'll never beat them at their own game so why even try? History has proven, the way to beat this team is thru the air and not on the ground so TOP means little in this game.

I wasn't advocating beating them with the run. In fact that would likely go very poorly if we tried to just pound it down their throat. You can still beat a team in TOP with more passing than running. EWU and MSU do very good jobs of just that. EWU is #15 in TOP & the Cats are #26. We are #111.

What I meant by making TOP a little more even is how important it's going to be to have a decent number of sustained drives against their mediocre (or bad depending on who we are playing) defense to give our D a much needed break. CP is a hell of a team on the ground so if our D gets tired we might start getting pushed around.

I don't think you realize how much MSU and EWU run the ball. I'm not going to look it up (I'm sure you'll do that for me).
Yeah, "You can still beat a team in TOP with more passing than running" but its rare and that's their game; do we really want to take that (slim) chance? If we are planning on trying to win TOP, we already lost. Do you even remember last year's game? Wasn't it like 14-7 into the 4th? If we play right into their hands again like that, it will be another long day. This is about the only team left on our schedule that we want to beat in a track-meet-type of game (where TOP is the last stat we care about). If they have to score 30+ to beat us, they are more likely to turn it over.
One more thought: trying to win the TOP stat in this game will backfire, I can guarantee it. If we try to run on this team, we will wind up going 3-n-out a bunch.

grizatwork said:
UC Davis is not the same team they were a month ago. They have improved..

ummmmm - are they the same team that the Cat's put 77 on in their own back yard just LAST WEEK??.... :lol: :lol:

ButteRhat said:
grizatwork said:

ummmmm - are they the same team that the Cat's put 77 on in their own back yard just LAST WEEK??.... :lol: :lol:

Yes. And also the same team that put up 700 yards of offensive on the kitty's cheesecake defense JUST LAST WEEK!! :lol: :lol:

garizzalies said:
I don't think you realize how much MSU and EWU run the ball. I'm not going to look it up (I'm sure you'll do that for me).
Yeah, "You can still beat a team in TOP with more passing than running" but its rare and that's their game; do we really want to take that (slim) chance? If we are planning on trying to win TOP, we already lost. Do you even remember last year's game? Wasn't it like 14-7 into the 4th? If we play right into their hands again like that, it will be another long day. This is about the only team left on our schedule that we want to beat in a track-meet-type of game (where TOP is the last stat we care about). If they have to score 30+ to beat us, they are more likely to turn it over.
One more thought: trying to win the TOP stat in this game will backfire, I can guarantee it. If we try to run on this team, we will wind up going 3-n-out a bunch.

I was just looking at some numbers this morning and poly's rushing numbers are nuts. they have 437 carries and msu is next with 382. they have 55 more carries than the next team and they've done it in one less game. :shock:

as of this morning they average 62 rushes a game. seems like a lot... :eek:

EverettGriz said:
ButteRhat said:
grizatwork said:

Yes. And also the same team that put up 700 yards of offensive on the kitty's cheesecake defense JUST LAST WEEK!! :lol: :lol:

It was 600 but who is counting... don't let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good talking point!! Besides... they put up 600 yds and still lost by 40.... but you are right, I would not be concerned in the least!!

ButteRhat said:
EverettGriz said:
ButteRhat said:
grizatwork said:

It was 600 but who is counting... don't let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good talking point!! Besides... they put up 600 yds and still lost by 40.... but you are right, I would not be concerned in the least!!

You were a muffed punt away from potentially losing to a winless team, at home. I think you should focus more of your concern on your own team at this point.

Htowngriz said:
You were a muffed punt away from potentially losing to a winless team, at home. I think you should focus more of your concern on your own team at this point.

Ya... a muffed punt from their own 13 was a game changer.... And this coming from a fan whose team has had to boot 3 last second field goals in the last 1.5 years to put up a W....

You Griz fans are funny dudes!!

Potomac Griz said:
BWahlberg said:
they did just about what UCD allows in almost all categories.

That's what's making me a little cautious about being too optimistic about the improvements we saw yesterday. It was done against a very bad defense, one of the worst in the FCS.

Next week is the beginning of our "Lets see what we really got" stretch of the conference schedule. 5-2 is probably what many of us (including the ones not enthralled by Delaney and company) thought we'd be at this point in the season. Starting next week instead of smacking around bad & mediocre offenses and mostly bottom-half to awful defenses we start to face VERY good offenses and...well... still mostly bad defenses.

Cal Poly right now is #1 in the country in rushing offense, #14 in total offense and #24 in scoring offense. 4 of our next 5 opponents are top 20 offense teams in the FCS. The 5th (SUU) is a great passing team (#6) but doesn't do so well scoring or anything else for that matter.

So this will be a great test for our very good D starting next week. I think it's going to be very important for our offense to take advantage of the bad defenses and hopefully make the TOP battle a little more equal giving our D a rest so they don't tire out late in the game. Right now we are one of the worst in TOP, and 3 of the 5 teams we face are very good in that category (CP, EWU & MSU).

So it's crunch time for the Griz. We get to see what our D is truly made of and hopefully get to see some good offensive production as well!

SCORING OFFENSE G TD FG XPT 2XP DXP Saf Points Avg/G
1. Eastern Washington 8 50 5 45 1 0 0 362 45.2
2. Montana State 8 46 10 39 1 0 1 349 43.6
3. Idaho State 7 40 5 33 2 0 0 292 41.7
4. Sacramento State 8 41 10 38 0 0 0 314 39.2
5. Cal Poly 7 33 2 29 0 0 0 233 33.3
6. Montana 7 26 5 23 0 0 1 196 28.0
7. Northern Arizona 7 25 6 25 0 0 0 193 27.6
8. UC Davis 7 23 2 22 0 0 0 166 23.7
9. Southern Utah 8 25 4 19 1 0 0 183 22.9
10. Portland State 7 18 8 18 0 0 0 150 21.4
11. Northern Colorado 7 17 6 12 2 0 2 140 20.0
12. Weber State 7 17 6 15 1 0 0 137 19.6
13. North Dakota 7 11 6 8 2 0 0 96 13.7

SCORING DEFENSE G TD FG XPT 2XP DXP Saf Points Avg/G
1. Montana 7 14 10 13 1 0 0 129 18.4
2. North Dakota 7 19 9 16 0 0 1 159 22.7
3. Northern Arizona 7 24 6 22 1 0 0 186 26.6
4. Northern Colorado 7 24 12 21 0 0 1 203 29.0
5. Cal Poly 7 28 6 26 1 0 0 214 30.6
6. Montana State 8 33 9 25 2 0 1 256 32.0
7. Portland State 7 29 8 29 0 0 0 227 32.4
8. Weber State 7 29 10 26 0 0 0 230 32.9
9. Eastern Washington 8 36 6 29 3 0 0 269 33.6
10. Idaho State 7 35 3 33 0 0 0 252 36.0
11. Sacramento State 8 41 8 36 1 0 1 310 38.8
12. Southern Utah 8 43 5 42 1 1 0 319 39.9
13. UC Davis 7 39 6 38 0 0 0 290 41.4

Griz have played #8, #11 and #13 in total offense. Beat #8 42-28, Beat #11 38-13 and beat #13 18-15.

Cal Poly has played #3, 7, #8, #11 and #12 in defense. Against #3 they lost 38-35, and beat #7 42-14, #8 30-24, #11 56-27 and #12 42-39.

My point? We've built our defensive numbers against bad offensive teams, but Cal Poly has built their offensive #'s against largely bad defensive teams. Against a bad NMSU team CP was only able to muster 10 points, and only 18 in a blowout loss to South Dakota State.

If we're going to question the Griz' true defensive potential I would also caution against reading a ton into any of CP's offensive statistics right about now....

ButteRhat said:
Htowngriz said:

Ya... a muffed punt from their own 13 was a game changer.... And this coming from a fan whose team has had to boot 3 last second field goals in the last 1.5 years to put up a W....

You Griz fans are funny dudes!!

Funny is right. We didn't need a last second FG to win in Blowsman though, did we? :lol: :lol: :geek:

And I wasn't aware that winning by a FG didn't count. :roll:

Back