• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

That was ugly

AZGrizFan said:
ButteRhat said:
Htowngriz said:
You were a muffed punt away from potentially losing to a winless team, at home. I think you should focus more of your concern on your own team at this point.

Ya... a muffed punt from their own 13 was a game changer.... And this coming from a fan whose team has had to boot 3 last second field goals in the last 1.5 years to put up a W....

You Griz fans are funny dudes!!

Funny is right. We didn't need a last second FG to win in Blowsman though, did we? :lol: :lol: :geek:

And I wasn't aware that winning by a FG didn't count. :roll:

Welcome to the 2nd half of the season... strap it on cuz the griz are in for a bumpy ride!!

ButteRhat said:
AZGrizFan said:
ButteRhat said:
Htowngriz said:
You were a muffed punt away from potentially losing to a winless team, at home. I think you should focus more of your concern on your own team at this point.

Ya... a muffed punt from their own 13 was a game changer.... And this coming from a fan whose team has had to boot 3 last second field goals in the last 1.5 years to put up a W....

Funny is right. We didn't need a last second FG to win in Blowsman though, did we? :lol: :lol: :geek:

Welcome to the 2nd half of the season... strap it on cuz the griz are in for a bumpy ride!!

Be careful. You don't want us to use the "HAMMER" trump card this season. Last season, he put a hex on the Cats like nobody ever. :thumb:

ButteRhat said:
AZGrizFan said:
ButteRhat said:
Htowngriz said:

Well, 'scat fans would know a thing or two about that, wouldn't they? :roll:

AZGrizFan said:
ButteRhat said:
AZGrizFan said:
ButteRhat said:

Strap ons?

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:
ButteRhat said:
AZGrizFan said:

Strap ons?

That too. :lol:

This post from horribilus in another thread was spot on in my opinion. They locked that thread due to the "my dick is bigger than yours" banter going on there, but I would like to agree totally with this post. It certainly appears that the coaches have put the brakes on JJ running the ball. There were several times last game where he could have run for 15-20 yards, but never even looked to run, instead forcing passes to well-covered receivers.

I'm no fan of Big G, but if your going to start a thread bashing two people, you might want to start with a truthful premise. BG said a former player put his hands in his head and said he feels sorry for JJ. Nothing a large handful of posters haven't already said on this site fairly regularly for the last 2 years. And for this game, for the first half, I tend to agree.

The way UCD over pursued, JJ could have been the top Griz rusher if he had been allowed to fake handoffs and run as he did in the read-option. Both of the big gainers by Van and Canada were on stretch plays that were stuffed, and if not for cut back and broken tackles would have gone nowhere. Great efforts by both backs. Had JJ kept the ball on both plays he would have had the same open field. Had those plays been called for JJ early, that would have put an end to the run blitzing and ends crashing which was stuffing the early run game.

Kudos to the play calling in the second which allowed rollouts and room and time for JJ to do what he does best. Kudos to the line for better blocking, run and pass in the second half. I hope we are not saddled in the future by a pig-headed desire to have this offense excel like the HC would like, instead of using what is working.

JJ's an ultimate team player. Loyal to the core. He's not going to say or even hint that he's unhappy with this style of offense. Especially not to bragadocious insiders. But those who have known him forever, including those that played with him when he first got here, know what burns in his heart as the offense he would prefer to run. If the coaches have any sense, they will continue to ease this offense in that direction.

His post:

"JJ's a Formula 1 driver being forced to drive MD dirt track stock car. He'll do his best to win but its not taking advantage of his true talents. I can understand why former teammates might feel sorry for him under the circumstances. What I can't understand is why agenda driven apologists for MD think they have to spin and falsely declare a former player is embarrassed by this team when the actions and words were directed at the use of JJ by the coaching staff. Oh wait, this is Egriz, home of the sanctimonius and self righteous opinon police. Some of you folks should work spin in Washington."

Jesus. While he can definitely make plays with his feet, when you have a guy who has already suffered a concussion this year and an ankle that's obviously still nagging him, there's no reason to risk him in the open field if you don't need to. Especially when the dropoff in talent with the backup QB is a significant one. Think, people. Think.

Htowngriz said:
Jesus. While he can definitely make plays with his feet, when you have a guy who has already suffered a concussion this year and an ankle that's obviously still nagging him, there's no reason to risk him in the open field if you don't need to. Especially when the dropoff in talent with the backup QB is a significant one. Think, people. Think.

Don't agree. If your QB is healthy enough to start, then he should be healthy enough to run the entire offense. His ankle looked fine. If they are holding him back from running because of a previous concussion, he should not be starting.

He does run the whole offense, it just isn't the one Pflugrad recruited him to play in. While I wouldn't mind seeing more read option stuff like they used against Davis, you can't just change your entire offensive system in the middle of the season.

monte is a character said:
Htowngriz said:

Don't agree. If your QB is healthy enough to start, then he should be healthy enough to run the entire offense. His ankle looked fine. If they are holding him back from running because of a previous concussion, he should not be starting.

Yeah, no coach would be stupid enough to protect his best quarterback....

Oh wait! They ALL do that.

Back to bcn with you.

Htowngriz said:
He does run the whole offense, it just isn't the one Pflugrad recruited him to play in. While I wouldn't mind seeing more read option stuff like they used against Davis, you can't just change your entire offensive system in the middle of the season.

You have just hit on the hot button issue. Coaching to your players strengths, not to your offensive philosophy.

putter said:
Htowngriz said:

You have just hit on the hot button issue. Coaching to your players strengths, not to your offensive philosophy.

It would not require changing the entire system. The same system could remain in place. The GRIZ still have many sets where the play is an option for JJ. Many times he has given the ball to the rb with wide open field had he kept the ball. I agree it would be helpful if we were to actually run JJ a few times from those option sets. It would give the defenses more to focus on. Then again, I do have a feeling we will be using JJ more in the running game against EWU and/or MSU. As for the chances of injury, JJ has been beat up in both systems here and there. That is a pitball of playing QB. He is also smart enough to run out of bounds or get down when in jeopardy of taking a big hit. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
putter said:
Htowngriz said:

It would not require changing the entire system. The same system could remain in place. The GRIZ still have many sets where the play is an option for JJ. Many times he has given the ball to the rb with wide open field had he kept the ball. I agree it would be helpful if we were to actually run JJ a few times from those option sets. It would give the defenses more to focus on. Then again, I do have a feeling we will be using JJ more in the running game against EWU and/or MSU. As for the chances of injury, JJ has been beat up in both systems here and there. That is a pitball of playing QB. He is also smart enough to run out of bounds or get down when in jeopardy of taking a big hit. :thumb:

I agree that you don't have to change your entire philosophy - maybe just tweak a little bit.

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:
ButteRhat said:
AZGrizFan said:

Strap ons?

how cute... a Bevis and Butthead reference!! How very typical of the Griz fan and you represent well!

ButteRhat said:
CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:
ButteRhat said:

Strap ons?

how cute... a Bevis and Butthead reference!! How very typical of the Griz fan and you represent well!
Why don't you pay attention to your teams forums? Griz envy is filled within you. Just go back to your hole lemmiwinks.

mtgrizrule said:
putter said:
Htowngriz said:

Like I said, they added some read option stuff against Davis, but to me it looked like JJ was opting to hand it off rather than keep it most of the time.

There is no doubt in my mind that JJ is hurt. He got hit hard and late on one of the touchdown passes (I think) and limped off the field. I was actually surprised he came back in on the next series. I suspect this is the ankle injury from UND. I think he will have to 'manage' this injury the thru the rest of the season. It would be logical to limit his running to limit the additional aggravation of this injury.

Back