• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Book

Cat/Griz insider posted this on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/CatGrizInsider/photos/a.476948001071.290414.131888561071/10153128776196072/?type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of these comments :roll: ... Feel free to join in.

Here's an example of this "well-researched" book:

This was in a sectioin about the JJ accusers' dream/nightmare about being raped by Trumaine Johnson, when he was the roommate of her then boyfriend, a Griz cornerback. Trumaine was "tased and arrested by the Missoula police after brutally beating a man in his apartment after a Griz football".

Funny, I thought Tru was tased after trying to pick up his good friend Kemp who was calling for help after the police tased him.

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
Again, what was swept under the rug?

Well, while certainly not "swept under the rug", Pflugrad and O'Day didn't adequately report the allegation of the gang rape involving players.

O'Day didn't know about that allegation. Pflu had been informed only that the police declined to pursue the matter. He was not told that a UM student was involved. He punished those involved fairly significantly. UM had no policy or procedure in place to report the matter to anyone. No charges were ever brought by the police/prosecutor--who looked at the matter twice. No one involved who got a lawyer was kicked out of school or prevented from graduating. Only one of the player was actually out of school. One. Several others who had already moved on from UM were supposedly told not to come back. Hardly sweeping anything under the rug.

Everett, you ought to try getting your facts in order before you start blabbing incorrect information.

So I guess we'll just go ahead and completely ignore the Bartz report and the DOJ investigation.

See, the problem is, pr, that you occasionally bring some decent info to the board. But by ignoring and trying to lawyer away the facts in an all-out attempt to try and make the program look better, you actually do it harm. The program and its leaders were not perfect. Far from it, actually. To consistently and constantly ignore that cheapens the arguments about the things they did well.

Blabbing done. Facts straight.

PlayerRep said:
Pflu had been informed only that the police declined to pursue the matter. He was not told that a UM student was involved. He punished those involved fairly significantly.

Everett, you ought to try getting your facts in order before you start blabbing incorrect information.

quick, spot the greenie!

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
Again, what was swept under the rug?

Well, while certainly not "swept under the rug", Pflugrad and O'Day didn't adequately report the allegation of the gang rape involving players.

O'Day didn't know about that allegation. Pflu had been informed only that the police declined to pursue the matter. He was not told that a UM student was involved. He punished those involved fairly significantly. UM had no policy or procedure in place to report the matter to anyone. No charges were ever brought by the police/prosecutor--who looked at the matter twice. No one involved who got a lawyer was kicked out of school or prevented from graduating. Only one of the player was actually out of school. One. Several others who had already moved on from UM were supposedly told not to come back. Hardly sweeping anything under the rug.

So I guess we'll just go ahead and completely ignore the Bartz report and the DOJ investigation.

See, the problem is, pr, that you occasionally bring some decent info to the board. But by ignoring and trying to lawyer away the facts in an all-out attempt to try and make the program look better, you actually do it harm. The program and its leaders were not perfect. Far from it, actually. To consistently and constantly ignore that cheapens the arguments about the things they did well.

Blabbing done. Facts straight.

The ncaa investigation had nothing to do with sexual assault, the reporting of sexual assault, or cover ups of it (or anything else).

The Barz report said nothing about cover ups. The Barz report doesn't mention Pflugrad. Here's a quote from a newspaper article on the Barz report. Note the reference the non-reporting not be a violation of university policies in the place at the time. The accuser could have reported the matter to the university at any time, and she neither "reported" anything to Pflugrad nor was her name known to Pflugrad (nor did he know she was a UM student).

"One of the cases under investigation – a possible off-campus rape by one or more students – was reported to a university employee, the report said. Engstrom said Wednesday that the employee’s failure to report the alleged incident to UM administrators “didn’t violate any policy that we have in place. It may be a matter of us making sure we have the right policies and procedures,” he said."

"December 2010: Alleged rape against student by multiple students. Police report filed. No charges brought. Police provided limited information about allegations to university employee. The situation was addressed with the students allegedly involved. UM does not have guidelines and procedures requiring reporting of information of the nature received in the manner this information was received. UM is currently reviewing its guidelines and procedures. The student has just come forward (January 2012) to university officials and indicated that she wants to proceed with the student conduct code process. Investigation ongoing."

Sorry, Everett. My information is accurate and there was no cover up. And your frequent incorrect information is annoying.

What just keeps on making very bad soup is the Missoulian Paper. Bias running amok. ON and ON...

My firm doesn't have a written policy in place specifically saying that managers must notify their superiors if they're made aware of rape allegations by those under their control either.

But I'd damn sure immediately fire of any of them who failed to do so. So would your firm. Or any firm. Common sense shouldn't need written policy.

But it's been my experience that you and common sense don't often intersect, so I guess I can see where the breakdown is coming from.

Krakauer gave credit to Gwen Florio for bringing the problem to his attention. Gail King's comments regarding "the quarterback" did not reflect the fact that he was "not quilty." At the end, Krakauer was asked about the forum and his comments and smirk made me dislike him even more.

EverettGriz said:
My firm doesn't have a written policy in place specifically saying that managers must notify their superiors if they're made aware of rape allegations by those under their control either.

But I'd damn sure immediately fire of any of them who failed to do so. So would your firm. Or any firm. Common sense shouldn't need written policy.

But it's been my experience that you and common sense don't often intersect, so I guess I can see where the breakdown is coming from.

So back to the cover up? Where was the cover up? When you're wrong, you sure like to move the discussion to another topic, in hopes of getting traction and saving face with the other topic.

If you fired a manager for failing to report to you that a false rape allegation (or one that the police had said wouldn't be prosecuted), and the allegation didn't involve another of your company's other employees, and your manager had taken appropriate action to deal with the situation, then a lawyer firm could bring an action representing your fired manager, and your former manager would probably end up owning your company. At that time, the football coach, as a "senior manager", had significant authority to handle situations and take action on his own, and he did. UM's policies are different now.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/author-jon-krakauer-on-new-book-missoula-and-college-rape-epidemic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am sickened by what I just heard him say on air. He continued to refer to Jordan Johnson as "The Rapist". Referring to the case as "She even drove her rapist home". He has every right to pursue charges of libel against him (forgive me if that is not the appropriate legal term). He just went on national TV calling him a rapist - even though a jury of his peers did not say he was. (I'm not even going to get into the not guilty vs. innocent debate, it's pointless). I don't care if the acquitted was a QB of the Griz, a middle aged blue collar worker, a convenience store clerk, or a homeless drunk...Krakauer was way out of line. It was sickening to listen to.

He completely slammed Pabst. Made it sound like everything she did was politically motivated. She got the "Star QB" acquitted and then ran for county office. Said she has never prosecuted a sexual assault case unless it was a "slam dunk".

My football loyalties reside east of the divide so I have not an ounce of care in my body of how it affects the football team. With that totally aside, this guy made my skin crawl. I hope when he comes to Missoula he is chewed up and spit out. He had that "bring it on, I am above you" look on this face. Now that I've seen him - he has a totally distrusting, slimy look in his eyes. It was sick to see the joy in his face over all of this.

PlayerRep said:
Here's an example of this "well-researched" book:

This was in a section about the JJ accusers' dream/nightmare about being raped by Trumaine Johnson, when he was the roommate of her then boyfriend, a Griz cornerback. Trumaine was "tased and arrested by the Missoula police after brutally beating a man in his apartment after a Griz football".

Funny, I thought Tru was tased after trying to pick up his good friend Kemp who was calling for help after the police tased him.
That certainly wasn't how the police described it.
"To us, it was just a regular citizen who got out of control at a party," he said. "It doesn't matter if it was Trumaine Johnson or Gerald Kemp." http://missoulian.com/news/local/griz-players-plead-not-guilty-to-party-charges/article_b35af8ca-fe75-11e0-9617-001cc4c002e0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnson tried to "intervene" after Kemp was hit with a "taser." He pleaded no contest to disorderly contest. http://missoulian.com/news/local/police-chief-videos-don-t-show-excessive-force-in-arrest/article_0ae09aee-0a17-11e1-bcd0-001cc4c002e0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not one word about a "brutal beating." It is an outright lie by Krakauer.

Doubleday, the publisher, will rue the day it claimed:
In an earlier note about the book, Doubleday described the author's investigation as "uncommonly thorough."
http://missoulian.com/news/local/pabst-made-last-ditch-effort-to-delay-publication-of-missoula/article_ac41cc34-0b39-5381-9200-e70c39757e56.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pr, do you even read posts prior to relying? I clearly stated their failure to act didn't constitute a cover up. Just that it was a mistake. And it was.

Pin2Win said:
I am sickened by what I just heard him say on air. He continued to refer to Jordan Johnson as "The Rapist". Referring to the case as "She even drove her rapist home". He has every right to pursue charges of libel against him (forgive me if that is not the appropriate legal term). He just went on national TV calling him a rapist - even though a jury of his peers did not say he was. (I'm not even going to get into the not guilty vs. innocent debate, it's pointless). I don't care if the acquitted was a QB of the Griz, a middle aged blue collar worker, a convenience store clerk, or a homeless drunk...Krakauer was way out of line. It was sickening to listen to.

He completely slammed Pabst. Made it sound like everything she did was politically motivated. She got the "Star QB" acquitted and then ran for county office. Said she has never prosecuted a sexual assault case unless it was a "slam dunk".

My football loyalties reside east of the divide so I have not an ounce of care in my body of how it affects the football team. With that totally aside, this guy made my skin crawl. I hope when he comes to Missoula he is chewed up and spit out. He had that "bring it on, I am above you" look on this face. Now that I've seen him - he has a totally distrusting, slimy look in his eyes. It was sick to see the joy in his face over all of this.

Great post Pin. Thank you!!

Pin2Win said:
Now, there is some mighty litigation traction. Four Wheel Drive. It is "libel per se" to accuse anyone of a crime, to which truth is the only defense. Obviously, a unanimous Jury Verdict of "Not Guilty" is the only "truth" that matters in that context.

Libel per se, however, is considered "so obviously harmful that malice need not be proved to obtain a judgment for "general damages," and not just specific losses."

Taking into account Krakauer's other blatant lies, this kind of libel rises to the level of "malicious" intent. Punitive damages.

And "broadcast" to millions by CBS News?

Fire the Lawyerpult and Open the checkbooks ....

8bd534d06cca01301d50001dd8b71c47

The Storm has broken.

I think Pabst likely has a good defamation or other damage case. The CBS video, the book, and some of Kraukauer's press. Don't know if she'd ever consider that. Krakauer is completely out of line and incorrect with much of what he's saying about Pabst, based on what I know and think of her work at the county attorney's office.

Krakauer is playing what is by now a well-defined role among the social justice warriors, issuing a revisionist book, attempting to discredit everything that actually happened, by rewriting the entire history of the case using the prosecution's unrebutted brief.

Amazingly, it happened in the Duke LaCrosse case.
The most striking thing about William D. Cohan's revisionist, guilt-implying new book on the Duke lacrosse rape fraud is what's not in it.

The best-selling, highly successful author's 621-page The Price of Silence: The Duke Lacrosse Scandal, the Power of the Elite, and the Corruption of Our Great Universities adds not a single piece of significant new evidence to that which convinced then–North Carolina attorney general Roy Cooper and virtually all other serious analysts by mid-2007 that the lacrosse players were innocent of any sexual assault on anyone.

Unless, that is, one sees as new evidence Cohan's own stunningly credulous interviews with three far-from-credible participants in the drama who themselves add no significant new evidence beyond their counterfactual personal opinions.
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117383/william-d-cohans-duke-lacrosse-case-book-gets-many-things-wrong" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the same fashion that Krakauer attacks Kirsten Pabst, Cohen attempted to rehabilitate the prosecuting attorney in the Duke case, Mike Nifong.

Cohan devotes dozens of pages to describing Nifong—and quoting his self-descriptions—in mostly glowing, if sometimes unintentionally ironic, terms, as in "Nifong developed a lifelong disdain for bullies." Indeed, Cohan's attitude toward Nifong's proven, extreme abuses of prosecutorial power is so astonishingly benign as to almost imply that because poor black kids often don't get fair treatment from the criminal justice system, rich (and not so rich) white kids should not get fair treatment either—no matter how innocent.
But, Pabst was the Defense in this case, and note the Duke book's target:
None of these actions by Nifong prevent Cohan from presenting him as a person of integrity who had made a few forgivable mistakes in his zeal to champion "my victim," Mangum. While straining to make excuses for Nifong, Cohan sneers repeatedly at the players' defense lawyers, whom he calls "masters at manipulating the media" (in the Cosmopolitan interview) for their "shock and awe" campaign and "fat retainers."
Notably, a key allegation was the Crystal Magnum had been assaulted by a broomstick, no evidence had ever suggested that; just as Jane Doe originally claimed she had been "fisted" and then had to admit it was a lie.
How does Cohan manage to fill 621 pages? He stuffs them with long, long, often repetitive quotations from his interviews with Nifong, news articles, op-ed columns (including two of mine), blog posts, and other previously published remarks. He also goes on for dozens and dozens of pages detailing and lamenting the well-known culture of underage binge drinking, overemphasis on athletics, and flaccid academic standards at Duke and other prestigious colleges.

These temperance lectures would be harmless, and even of some value, but for the author's underlying campaign. He is remarkably indulgent, on the whole, of the disgraceful rush to judgment against the Duke lacrosse players by Robert Steel, by Richard Brodhead, the cowardly Duke president, by other top administrators, and by almost 100 Duke professors.

The great mystery here is why a skillful, highly successful author and journalist would stoop so low. Dreams of a movie deal, perhaps? One also wonders why, to take one of many possible examples, Cohan didn't bother to check his facts with James Coman or Mary Winstead—an elementary precaution for any responsible journalist or author—before trumpeting Nifong's false claim that Cooper had "sandbagged" them when he exonerated the lacrosse players. Was the best-selling author of this "definitive, magisterial account"—which I would call deeply dishonest—afraid of letting stubborn facts spoil sensational stories?
De ja vu, anyone?

More book and other tidbits.

Engstrom does not get much attention in the book and does not get hammered.

Engstrom finally said something in the Kaimin today, that he should have said over 3 years ago when the Missoulian first started running what the Book says was over 100 stories on sexual assault.

“Truth be known, UM and Missoula are among the safest places in the country for students, and that’s historically been the case.” http://www.montanakaimin.com/news/article_4924f6dc-e8a4-11e4-b8f0-1fa95de2fa1c.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Book explains why UM's enrollment is down. This is a old quote from Van Valkenberg on p. 319. "Enrollment is way down. The university has a budget shortfall of $16 million this year.... [Donaldson] is one of the people principally responsible for that." Wow, didn't know the Donaldson case had been so influential--particularly when Engstrom is saying in the Kaimin article that he doesn't believe the sexual assault stuff has had an impact or big impact on enrollment. Learn something every day, I guess.

Back