• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Winners win - that's why we need MVD as coach

grizindabox said:
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. UM fans will diminish the talent of Carroll and Carroll fans will inflate it. Fitzsimmons and Emmert were great players for Carroll, but not sure how that would translate to Big Sky and FCS football.

Pretty sure that if Fitzsimmons game can translate to the NFL he could have played for MT. I think some people give MT way to much credit.

grizindabox said:
You can go back and forth about MVD all day, but I get the sense that MVD is not really that interested in the UM job and is very happy at Carroll and the UM is not very interested in MVD. I feel that they are considering a handful of coaches that have a more recent tie with the program. I believe that they should do more of a national search, but with the week timeline they have set to hire, I highly doubt that will be the case.

I think you are wrong tho... he would have never put in for the Cats job if he wasn't interested in moving up. I mean, he played/coached at UM so why would he turn down the greatest opportunity of he life??? He's well into his 50's and if he gets the Griz job it will no-doubt be his last stop. Why not go out at a higher level? He already won his championships and is ready to move up. His oldest son just finished his college career at CC so it's not like he'd be leaving him there.

deputygrizbro said:
grizindabox said:
You can go back and forth about MVD all day, but I get the sense that MVD is not really that interested in the UM job and is very happy at Carroll and the UM is not very interested in MVD. I feel that they are considering a handful of coaches that have a more recent tie with the program. I believe that they should do more of a national search, but with the week timeline they have set to hire, I highly doubt that will be the case.

I think you are wrong tho... he would have never put in for the Cats job if he wasn't interested in moving up. I mean, he played/coached at UM so why would he turn down the greatest opportunity of he life??? He's well into his 50's and if he gets the Griz job it will no-doubt be his last stop. Why not go out at a higher level? He already won his championships and is ready to move up. His oldest son just finished his college career at CC so it's not like he'd be leaving him there.

I am sure he put some feelers out, but he has a pretty good thing already. Another thing is that I have a feeling that UM will not hire a coach that did not get the MSU job...the stigma of why would we hire the guy that MSU apparantly did not want.

grizindabox said:
deputygrizbro said:

I am sure he put some feelers out, but he has a pretty good thing already. Another thing is that I have a feeling that UM will not hire a coach that did not get the MSU job...the stigma of why would we hire the guy that MSU apparantly did not want.

As was said by others close to the situation. He withdrew his name from consideration before a decision was made. Much different than NOT getting the job. Do you understand what that means? That means it was his decision to not go further in the interview process. It was not the decision of MSU it was Mikes. So does that mean he didn't get it due to a decision made by MSU. No. I don't know how to say it more clearly.

grizindabox said:
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. UM fans will diminish the talent of Carroll and Carroll fans will inflate it. Fitzsimmons and Emmert were great players for Carroll, but not sure how that would translate to Big Sky and FCS football.

I agree to an extent, but do you know why guys like Tyler Emmert chose CC over the Griz? And I will let you know that Ty got a nice offer from the Griz, FYI... the reason guys like them went to CC because it is a PRIVATE Catholic school with AMAZING academics which was more important to them than playing football at the next level. Tyler graduated with an engineering degree with damn-near a 4.0. Plus, Helena is a very Catholic town so don't be surprised when some of the state's best players want to stay and play for Carroll.

That said, yes I think that us CC supporters maybe think Carroll is better than they are, but hard to dispute the success CC has had on the NATIONAL level...

Also, Selle and Klaboe's older brothers both transfered from the Griz to CC and I wouldn't say that they were anything "special" so you could use the argument that just because they transferred down doesn't mean they're going to be a star. Hell, Roper came from Oregon and Selle plays in front of him.

My biggest complaint is knocking Van Diest just because he coaches at a lower level. I think he is a better coach than Hauck or Ash and I know the Griz would be fortunate to have him. If they don't take him, their loss. Whatever choice they make will be the right one, I just wish they'd give him a chance to shut up all the nay-sayers

Forshizzle, I said nothing about what happened, all I stated is that to many it would appear that MVD did not get the MSU job, why should UM hire him. It is about what is on the surface, not what is beneath. Many people are not as informed about the situation.

grizindabox said:
Forshizzle, I said nothing about what happened, all I stated is that to many it would appear that MVD did not get the MSU job, why should UM hire him. It is about what is on the surface, not what is beneath. Many people are not as informed about the situation.

I am sure that the people doing the hiring would know if he just didn't get it or that he withdrew. It only takes a phone call.

I think I read here previously that Van Diest might have lingering resentment over being fired with the rest of Donovan's staff in the 80s. And believe it or not, there are valid reasons why a coach might NOT want to come here. Those could easily include being expected to advance to and win a national championship within x many years of taking the job, and knowing a significant part of the fanbase views any rushing at all as weakness.

Forshizzle, MVD could get it, but I think UM goes a different direction. I do not think that MVD will not get the job based on MSU, it just seems that UM is looking at something else.

If MVD were named coach, I'd be surprised. Shocked, actually. He's a Helena boy & I think he has his dream job, as it is. He's got too many roots in Helena. Yes, he's flirted with other coaching jobs (limited to MT, btw), but I think his heart is in Helena. UM wants someone committed to UM, totally. And, I think, with the announcement that a new coach will be named "within the week," that it's going to be a hire from the current UM assistant coaches. IOW, UM already knows who the next coach will be.

Forshizzlegrizzle said:
grizindabox said:

I am sure that the people doing the hiring would know if he just didn't get it or that he withdrew. It only takes a phone call.

MVD was never going to get he MSU job. It was total smoke and mirror show by Fields to make him a finalist. Too many boosters wanted him considered and Fields isn't as dumb as most on BN would have you believe. MVD withdrew because he knew he wasn't going to get it. This does not mean for one second that he isn't qualified to be coach here or in Missoula, just setting things straight.

djollieballs said:
Forshizzlegrizzle said:
What makes him unqualified. Tell what you know as fact.

He coaches three levels underneath division 1 and his players are not held to NCAA standards or the type of scrutiny that they will be held to in Missoula. It's been 20 years since he's had to split up anything close to 63 schollys between actual division 1 talent.

That's all it takes for me.

Just out of curiosity... what are these "standards" that differ from Carroll/NAIA??

You realize CC is a private Catholic School right? Can someone tell me what the minimum GPA a player needs to uphold before he is suspended from play? Cuz I know that the team requires more than the mandated NAIA. Oh, and don't forget that CC has some of the best academics in the northwest, if not the nation. So please enlighten us... cuz from I can see, you just need to have a good lawyer and Im sure the rest is taken care of for you... (not a knock on the Griz, just the problems with a FEW players they've had... mostly proving a point to djdouchebag, so don't get all worked up)

I believe Van Diest does a great job recruiting, he may not get the guys that the Cats and the Griz offer schollies to, but he does get a bunch that the bigger schools would really like to walk on. Marc Mariani was very close to playing at Carroll. I wonder if Marc would have been any good at Carroll? Definitely not in djollies eyes.

PLease remember when arguing with djollie... "You never want to argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!" djollie, you are the Idiot!

griz8791 said:
I think I read here previously that Van Diest might have lingering resentment over being fired with the rest of Donovan's staff in the 80s. And believe or not, there are valid reasons why a coach might NOT want to come here. Those could easily include being expected to advance to and win a national championship within x many years of taking the job, and knowing a significant part of the fanbase views any rushing at all as weakness.

That was over 20 years ago, he's over it. New staff on the team as well as the admin. Im sure he would LOVE the opportunity to coach for the team he played for and already coached for long ago.

And he has already won 5 NC's in 7 tries... Im sure he's not only up for the challenge to do the same thing at the next level, but I bet he wants the same thing.

He will coach his way because it is successful (obviously), not because some guy named djdouchebag comes on here and talks crap about him and his team. Just like Hauck, I bet he would never come on here and read this crap

Liquor up front! said:
PLease remember when arguing with djollie... "You never want to argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!" djollie, you are the Idiot!

:clap: :thumb:

deputygrizbro said:
djollieballs said:
He coaches three levels underneath division 1 and his players are not held to NCAA standards or the type of scrutiny that they will be held to in Missoula. It's been 20 years since he's had to split up anything close to 63 schollys between actual division 1 talent.

That's all it takes for me.

Just out of curiosity... what are these "standards" that differ from Carroll/NAIA??

You realize CC is a private Catholic School right? Can someone tell me what the minimum GPA a player needs to uphold before he is suspended from play? Cuz I know that the team requires more than the mandated NAIA. Oh, and don't forget that CC has some of the best academics in the northwest, if not the nation. So please enlighten us... cuz from I can see, you just need to have a good lawyer and Im sure the rest is taken care of for you... (not a knock on the Griz, just the problems with a FEW players they've had... mostly proving a point to djdouchebag, so don't get all worked up)

I think the lack of steroid testing at the NAIA level is one of the standards that some are concerned about.

General Disarray said:
I think the lack of steroid testing at the NAIA level is one of the standards that some are concerned about.

So you are insinuating that MVD has players who use steroids? I can tell you that Im sure there have been some cases, but I would be willing to bet that MVD did something about it if he knew about it. He is a stand-up guy and there is no way he would let that crap slide.

There was an incoming freshman class a few years back who a bunch of them on the team got busted for underrage drinking at a party. Not by the cops, but word got back to MVD about it. Let's just say, those kids didn't drink much after that while they were on the team. He disciplined them very well.

And you want to talk about different standards... every student-athlete at CC signs a contract saying they won't drink while the season is going on... period. I always looked forward to the end of girls basketball season :thumb:

I heard that Griz players can drink (if of age of course) but they just can't go downtown. Like I said before, NAIA's standards may not seem as tough, but Carroll College athletics and especially MVD have very tough standards to be a player on the team.

Underage drinking is the least of MVD concerns if he came to Missoula. A lot of Griz fans would be pretty mad if a star recruit got kicked off the team or suspended for some games becasue he got caught "drinking at a party". It's University of Montana, people drink, more than anywhere else I've ever been. By far. 14 year old kids get drunk in that state all the time, it's a culture. It's just the way things are.

The problem is, there are much worse things to get involved with in Missoula than drinking at a party. I don't know if MVD would be ready for that. Bobby wasn't.

Like I said, MVD would do well to great with Bobby's players for about two years.

Then it would become a massive "we told you so situation".

and what kinds of things will Bobby be exposed to now that he's heading to Vegas?

If he couldn't deal with it in MSLA how will he cope at LV?

deputygrizbro said:
So you are insinuating that MVD has players who use steroids?

The juicing epidemic at Carroll is one of the worst kept secrets in Montana. THAT is why O'Day needs to take a long, careful look at MVD*.

This is not to tear down MVD*'s strengths. Or Carroll's -- steroid use doesn't violate NAIA policy. He recruits and coaches well. He might make a good Griz coach.

But a coach's shortcomings are amplified at the higher level. If he doesn't know about the steroids, he lacks oversight. If he does know about them, what else will he overlook under the NCAA microscope?

Hauck's replacement must clean up some of the image problems left behind from the old regime, and I don't believe that MVD* is that guy.

Back