• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Winners win - that's why we need MVD as coach

hardycreek1 said:
and what kinds of things will Bobby be exposed to now that he's heading to Vegas?

If he couldn't deal with it in MSLA how will he cope at LV?
After Tarkanian, trust me, UNLV runs a tight ship....Hauck will be in great shape down there...they want a winner and they will support a winner, just like most Montanans...UNLV runs a very, very clean program...

GrizLA said:
hardycreek1 said:
Mick Van Diest at Carroll in Helena knows how to win.

He has WON the national Championship FIVE TIMES!

That should be enough of a resume to be the next HC of the Griz.

He's a Montana coach who loves football and knows how to win.

He's my pick & I hope he is announced as HC later today.
He also lost some...so therefore, he is not fit to be UM's coach...the NAIA is a league of small time players with little or no talent...intramural level at most schools...Alpha should volunteer his service and his staff is ready made..just pick the 3 or 4 prolific "experts" and voila! Nationa Champs...forget league play...those games don't count..according to Alpaha, the only thing worth anything is the nat'. championship....to whom, he is never clear...

You see!!!! Thats how is happens right there. This thread (to me) was a very interesting debate between some egrizzers and someone has to jump in and turn it into and Alpha bash. Its people like this ____ that give him his fuel to keep it up. Bravo my friend Bravo. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I don't know if MVD has a chance for the job or if the job will go to someone else. MVD was an assistant coach for the Griz when I played (Donovan Era) in the 80's. These Things I know as facts about MVD:
1) He is a man of high integrity.
2) He has a relentless work ethic.
3) He values players as human beings.

The poster that mentioned his former players don't like or respect him is a total Ass Idiot. If you can find a former player that doesn't like or respect MVD you have found a former player that isn't liked or respected by his teammates.

SOCAL GRIZ said:
I don't know if MVD has a chance for the job or if the job will go to someone else. MVD was an assistant coach for the Griz when I played (Donovan Era) in the 80's. These Things I know as facts about MVD:
1) He is a man of high integrity.
2) He has a relentless work ethic.
3) He values players as human beings.

The poster that mentioned his former players don't like or respect him is a total Ass Idiot. If you can find a former player that doesn't like or respect MVD you have found a former player that isn't liked or respected by his teammates.

Hi, Mike.

"by Forshizzlegrizzle on Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:37 am

You people drive me crazy. I could coach this team to a BSC championship and a homefield playoff run when I play western states and all of my competative games are played in Missoula. If Wa Griz was like any other Ho hum FCS stadium in the country than the Griz lose to Cal Poly, Eastern, Davis and then the playoffs look a lot different and probably another road loss. If you guys are all about the numbers than look at the teams overall record at home. Bobby didn't coach in all of those games so that has to say something about the place. Any half ass football coach can win at home in Missoula. It takes a real one to win one against QUALITY competition on the road. I am willing to bet if you look at his losses the majority of them are on the road against REAl football teams."

In the argument that seems to be going on between the CC guys and their public love fest for MVD and those who don't want him (pretty much everyone else) I don't value the opinion of one poster who came on here and posted the above comment. I get that you are very fond of MVD for the same reasons I am a big fan of Bart Andrus. They are guys we had close relationships with through our playing days. I am sure the guys who played for Bobby speak very highly of him as well. It's always great to see solid relationships between coaches and players. Bobby has proved himself at the FCS level. Give him his props and move on. The crap you wrote in the above post is exactly that......CRAP! If MVD were to get the job, then you might as well substitute his name in your above post. I'm sure you aren't willing to run him down like that, so why are you so quick to run down BH? Just my 2 cents. I will support the next head coach no matter what. I wish BH well at UNLV.

Seriously?? So you are upset that I don't see the coaching value of winning home games in the toughest place to play in all of FCS football against Western States or ISU or Northern Colorado and then when you have to hit the road or a neutral site you lay an egg. Unless you are playing Northern Colorado or ISU or Suck st or PSU. He won very few of the games away from Wa Griz that mattered. So yes my statement stands a trained monkey coach can win in missoula it takes a real HC to win on the road and in the playoffs on the road. He didn't have that period end of story. If he did he would have at least won one of those NC.

SIDNEY GRIZ said:
"by Forshizzlegrizzle on Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:37 am

You people drive me crazy. I could coach this team to a BSC championship and a homefield playoff run when I play western states and all of my competative games are played in Missoula. If Wa Griz was like any other Ho hum FCS stadium in the country than the Griz lose to Cal Poly, Eastern, Davis and then the playoffs look a lot different and probably another road loss. If you guys are all about the numbers than look at the teams overall record at home. Bobby didn't coach in all of those games so that has to say something about the place. Any half ass football coach can win at home in Missoula. It takes a real one to win one against QUALITY competition on the road. I am willing to bet if you look at his losses the majority of them are on the road against REAl football teams."

In the argument that seems to be going on between the CC guys and their public love fest for MVD and those who don't want him (pretty much everyone else) I don't value the opinion of one poster who came on here and posted the above comment. I get that you are very fond of MVD for the same reasons I am a big fan of Bart Andrus. They are guys we had close relationships with through our playing days. I am sure the guys who played for Bobby speak very highly of him as well. It's always great to see solid relationships between coaches and players. Bobby has proved himself at the FCS level. Give him his props and move on. The crap you wrote in the above post is exactly that......CRAP! If MVD were to get the job, then you might as well substitute his name in your above post. I'm sure you aren't willing to run him down like that, so why are you so quick to run down BH? Just my 2 cents. I will support the next head coach no matter what. I wish BH well at UNLV.

The reason this "public love fest" was started was because of the character assassination undertaken by Griz fans on this board. While I believe he has the ability to be extremely successful at any level, I pointed my arguments at the attacks on his character not his coaching ability. I was once a fan of this team, but not anymore. Far too much arrogance in the ranks.

Grizchew said:
My point is this, it is apparent that you and Grizchew have had positive experiences with MVD. Unfortunately, many others have not.

Like who? The only guys I knew that disliked MVD when they played were guys that got their as$ chewed on a regular basis. But I guarantee that even they were crying when Diest told them how much he meant to him and to the program during the pre-National Championship speeches. Even those that did get their as$ chewed every single day would still tell you that their experience at Carroll was one of the best they ever had. He was like a disciplinarian Father... some hated him but everyone always respected him and nobody ever wanted to let him down.

I will agree that MVD has had a successful program at CC. His record speaks for itself. However, when statements are made, such as, "he's a good man" and "don't question his character", I have witnessed the opposite and I do question his character.

What exactly have you "witnessed"? I mean seriously... I was there for half of his tenure at Carroll and never witnessed or heard 1st, 2nd, or 3rd hand of anything that would even remotely lead me to question his character. If chewing as$ is all you got than you need to go root for Volleyball and leave football to the big boys. If you have more than stop stuttering and spit it out son...

First of all Grizchew, playing football at Carroll isn't playing with the big boys. Second let me provide you with factual information that can be verified. Here you go:

Fact #1. In 1983 I witnessed MVD physically assault another coach in the weight room at UofM.
Fact #2. On September 7, 2004, a freshman football player was expelled from Carroll College pending an internal review panel investigation on charges that he had raped a fellow student. School administrators, athletic department officials, and MVD were advised by the county attorney to postpone the review panel, and not get involved, because charges were being filed against the suspect.
Fact #3. In September 2004, against the advise of the local authorities, Carroll College went through with the hearing. MVD volunteered to be the suspect’s “character” witness at the review panel.
Fact #4. On October 4, 2004, there was sufficient DNA and physical evidence to issue a bench warrant for the football player’s arrest.

With regard to Fact #1, this event was reported to AD Harley Lewis. Fact #2 through
Fact #4 is public record. Call Parker, Trebon, or the county attorney’s office to verify.

I know people are going to jump on the “he wasn’t guilty” bandwagon, but that is not the
point I am making. The point is that MVD chose to be a “character” witness for an athlete who had been a part of his program for less than thirty days. He shouldn’t have gotten involved. I know you will say it was because he cared for his kids. No, he cared for his own success to the point that he would sacrifice a five-year relationship that he had had with the victim’s family to protect his program’s image. Can you imagine what would have happened if Bobby would have volunteered to be a character reference for the athletes that had been accused of various crimes over the years? He would have been crucified by the fans and the local media.

Like I said previously, MVD has a solid coaching record at Carroll College. Unfortunately, his behaviors and actions do not make him a worthy choice for UofM.

grizrooter said:
Grizchew said:
Like who? The only guys I knew that disliked MVD when they played were guys that got their as$ chewed on a regular basis. But I guarantee that even they were crying when Diest told them how much he meant to him and to the program during the pre-National Championship speeches. Even those that did get their as$ chewed every single day would still tell you that their experience at Carroll was one of the best they ever had. He was like a disciplinarian Father... some hated him but everyone always respected him and nobody ever wanted to let him down.

What exactly have you "witnessed"? I mean seriously... I was there for half of his tenure at Carroll and never witnessed or heard 1st, 2nd, or 3rd hand of anything that would even remotely lead me to question his character. If chewing as$ is all you got than you need to go root for Volleyball and leave football to the big boys. If you have more than stop stuttering and spit it out son...

First of all Grizchew, playing football at Carroll isn't playing with the big boys. Second let me provide you with factual information that can be verified. Here you go:

Fact #1. In 1983 I witnessed MVD physically assault another coach in the weight room at UofM.
Fact #2. On September 7, 2004, a freshman football player was expelled from Carroll College pending an internal review panel investigation on charges that he had raped a fellow student. School administrators, athletic department officials, and MVD were advised by the county attorney to postpone the review panel, and not get involved, because charges were being filed against the suspect.
Fact #3. In September 2004, against the advise of the local authorities, Carroll College went through with the hearing. MVD volunteered to be the suspect’s “character” witness at the review panel.
Fact #4. On October 4, 2004, there was sufficient DNA and physical evidence to issue a bench warrant for the football player’s arrest.

With regard to Fact #1, this event was reported to AD Harley Lewis. Fact #2 through
Fact #4 is public record. Call Parker, Trebon, or the county attorney’s office to verify.

I know people are going to jump on the “he wasn’t guilty” bandwagon, but that is not the
point I am making. The point is that MVD chose to be a “character” witness for an athlete who had been a part of his program for less than thirty days. He shouldn’t have gotten involved. I know you will say it was because he cared for his kids. No, he cared for his own success to the point that he would sacrifice a five-year relationship that he had had with the victim’s family to protect his program’s image. Can you imagine what would have happened if Bobby would have volunteered to be a character reference for the athletes that had been accused of various crimes over the years? He would have been crucified by the fans and the local media.

Like I said previously, MVD has a solid coaching record at Carroll College. Unfortunately, his behaviors and actions do not make him a worthy choice for UofM.

:shock:

The board would have exploded if allegations of any of the above happend at UM.

grizrooter said:
Grizchew said:

What a player did is not what MVD did. He isn't a baby sitter. As far as the assualt goes I would bet there are people on this board that have been in a scrape or two since 83. I am not a MVD appologist and do not really want him at UM but your argument is a little thin.

RobGriz said:
. . . I am not a MVD appologist and do not really want him at UM but your argument is a little thin.

And a little public. The last few hours on this board have been a little like watching a Democratic party primary campaign.

Did I see he had a bad rap under Donovan? ummmm...that was like 3 decades ago? I used to sh*t in my pants but grew out of it?? seriously? under Donovan?

I'll side with 5 chippers in the basket.

griz8791 said:
RobGriz said:
. . . I am not a MVD appologist and do not really want him at UM but your argument is a little thin.

And a little public. The last few hours on this board have been a little like watching a Democratic party primary campaign.
LMAO. Thats good stuff right there.

grizrooter said:
Grizchew said:

You have GOT to be kidding me.

Fact #1: You have no knowledge of the events beyond your 1-sided and obviously biased interpetation.

For all reading I suggest you read these articles:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1895476

http://www.queencitynews.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3286

Fact #2: The young man involved killed himself.

Fact #3: The findings of the review still prevented the player from rejoining the team and simply allowed the player to return to classes pending results from the criminal charges.

Fact #4: MVD had known said player much longer than 30 days.

Fact #5: We are all innocent until proven guilty

Opinion #1: You are faulting the man for defending one of his players when no evidence had been presented? I would hope that all involved in my life would not bail on me the second trouble presents itself. He stood up when others sit down.

Opinion #2: How did his participation as a character witness protect the image of the program? Criminal charges were still pending. All this review did was allow the student the ability to go back to classes. He was not allowed to participate in football and it did not hide the matter from public scrutiny.

Opinion #3: How dare you question the motives of a man. Especially in a situation like this. And especially when you don't know what the he!! you're talking about.

Grizchew said:
grizrooter said:

Fact #1: You have no knowledge of the events beyond your 1-sided and obviously biased interpetation.

http://www.queencitynews.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3286

Fact #3: The findings of the review still prevented the player from rejoining the team and simply allowed the player to return to classes pending results from the criminal charges.

Opinion #1: You are faulting the man for defending one of his players when no evidence had been presented? I would hope that all involved in my life would not bail on me the second trouble presents itself. He stood up when others sit down.

Opinion #2: How did his participation as a character witness protect the image of the program? Criminal charges were still pending. All this review did was allow the student the ability to go back to classes. He was not allowed to participate in football and it did not hide the matter from public scrutiny.

Opinion #3: How dare you question the motives of a man. Especially in a situation like this. And especially when you don't know what the he!! you're talking about.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Has anyone else noticed the number of newspaper articles recently that mention this board by name and even summarize messages posted on it? Not that that necessarily has anything to do with the content of this thread or anything.

Grizchew said:
grizrooter said:

I didn't care much for MVD* before I read this story. Now I'll never give a nickle to the school again if they hire him.

The way the school and the coaches handeled that incident is sickening.

MVD sounds like a low life waste of space.

Sure...deeply disturbing that he may have punched a guy 26 years ago. The only way somebody would remember that is if they were the one who got punched.

Back