• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Winners win - that's why we need MVD as coach

djollieballs said:
Underage drinking is the least of MVD concerns if he came to Missoula. A lot of Griz fans would be pretty mad if a star recruit got kicked off the team or suspended for some games becasue he got caught "drinking at a party". It's University of Montana, people drink, more than anywhere else I've ever been. By far. 14 year old kids get drunk in that state all the time, it's a culture. It's just the way things are.

The problem is, there are much worse things to get involved with in Missoula than drinking at a party. I don't know if MVD would be ready for that. Bobby wasn't.

Like I said, MVD would do well to great with Bobby's players for about two years.

Then it would become a massive "we told you so situation".

Trust me, MVD expects respect from his players and he gets it. There were a couple of guys who he turned around.

And I'd be willing to bet money or whatever on it that if MVD is the next HC that your 2-year theory is proven wrong.

deputygrizbro said:
djollieballs said:
Let me guess, you went to Caroll?

Yes I did. And I worked with MVD. You know what the diff between him and Hauck is??? No one shit-talks MVD like they do Hauck. No one complains as much about MVD.

And to answer your questioin about out-of-state recruits...

Carroll College - 111 rostered players
MT - 51
ID - 18
WA - 17
OR - 7
WY - 6
CA - 4
NV - 3
CO - 2
UT - 1
FL - 1
AK - 1

So... does this answer your question??? Sorry his players are thugs from the ghetto or a bunch of JuCo recruits that have murder charges against them... is that we need to be competitive??? Cuz MVD seems to do pretty well with his "helena boys" as you put it earlier

Deputy, are you stating that MVD hasn't had any "thugs" or "suspected criminals" in his tenure at CC? Since you worked for MVD, I think you know where this is headed...

reed rothchild said:
deputygrizbro said:
So you are insinuating that MVD has players who use steroids?

The juicing epidemic at Carroll is one of the worst kept secrets in Montana. THAT is why O'Day needs to take a long, careful look at MVD*.

This is not to tear down MVD*'s strengths. Or Carroll's -- steroid use doesn't violate NAIA policy. He recruits and coaches well. He might make a good Griz coach.

But a coach's shortcomings are amplified at the higher level. If he doesn't know about the steroids, he lacks oversight. If he does know about them, what else will he overlook under the NCAA microscope?

Hauck's replacement must clean up some of the image problems left behind from the old regime, and I don't believe that MVD* is that guy.

Are you serious??? Epidemic??? No offense, but unless you were a former player at CC then you don't know jack.

As for MVD over Hauck... I can tell you right now that MVD's players don't get away with the crap nor have the issues that Hauck had. MVD would have no problem kicking his star player off the team if he violated policy. He doesn't coach to be everyone's "buddy". He coaches to coach and run a respectable program. I think the most difficult thing for MVD to deal with will be not having 100% control of the team. Bruce Parker (CC AD) has basically given MVD complete control to do whatever and he has turned CC football around and has made a name for them.

grizrooter said:
Deputy, are you stating that MVD hasn't had any "thugs" or "suspected criminals" in his tenure at CC? Since you worked for MVD, I think you know where this is headed...

I know what you're saying and Im not going to deny that every team has their issues. What I will say is that MVD has not had near the issues at CC that the Griz or the Cats have had. If you know otherwise, PM me as Im curious...

I find it humorous that some fans on here act like whoever the next coach is is going to have to put up with so much criminal and destructive behavior. The Griz are made up of a 100 kids that may get into trouble now and again, its going to happen. Just wondering if you are looking for a coach or a warden?

reed rothchild said:
deputygrizbro said:
So you are insinuating that MVD has players who use steroids?

The juicing epidemic at Carroll is one of the worst kept secrets in Montana. THAT is why O'Day needs to take a long, careful look at MVD*.

This is not to tear down MVD*'s strengths. Or Carroll's -- steroid use doesn't violate NAIA policy. He recruits and coaches well. He might make a good Griz coach.

But a coach's shortcomings are amplified at the higher level. If he doesn't know about the steroids, he lacks oversight. If he does know about them, what else will he overlook under the NCAA microscope?

Hauck's replacement must clean up some of the image problems left behind from the old regime, and I don't believe that MVD* is that guy.

I think it's extremely naive of you to assume that steroids is not a problem at every school in the country... including Montana. I personally knew guys at FBS schools that were using during their time playing. There are many... many ways to get around testing. The only difference between Carroll and any other school is that 1) Carroll is NAIA and 2) Carroll has won multiple national championships.

Mike would be a great catch for Montana .... and no, I didn't go to Carroll. I hope he's one of the guys on Jim's short list.

reed rothchild said:
Grizchew said:
There are many... many ways to get around testing.

The most reliable way to get around testing is to play in a division that doesn't actually test.

Seriously??? Why are you so set on Carroll having a huge problem with steriods? Yes everyone has an issue. And let's be honest, how tough are these steroids tests? Im sure it's the same at the pro level... "hey guys, we'll be in next month to test, just to let you know". I doubt they sit there and hold it for you either... Just saying, it's not that tough. And at the FBS and FCS levels Im sure there is more access to "legal" steroids and other ways to get around the tests. So Im going with grizchew on this

deputygrizbro said:
grizrooter said:

I know what you're saying and Im not going to deny that every team has their issues. What I will say is that MVD has not had near the issues at CC that the Griz or the Cats have had. If you know otherwise, PM me as Im curious...

My point is this, it is apparent that you and Grizchew have had positive experiences with MVD. Unfortunately, many others have not. I will agree that MVD has had a successful program at CC. His record speaks for itself. However, when statements are made, such as, "he's a good man" and "don't question his character", I have witnessed the opposite and I do question his character. The scrutiny that our staff has been under the past seven years is enormous. With the choices that MVD has made in handling situations at CC in the past, he wouldn't have survived here. His coaching record is solid, his character is questionable. Our next HC should have a solid record and character.

grizrooter said:
deputygrizbro said:

My point is this, it is apparent that you and Grizchew have had positive experiences with MVD. Unfortunately, many others have not. I will agree that MVD has had a successful program at CC. His record speaks for itself. However, when statements are made, such as, "he's a good man" and "don't question his character", I have witnessed the opposite and I do question his character. The scrutiny that our staff has been under the past seven years is enormous. With the choices that MVD has made in handling situations at CC in the past, he wouldn't have survived here. His coaching record is solid, his character is questionable. Our next HC should have a solid record and character.

Like I said before, unless you have either played under him or worked with/for him then you don't know anything. There will always be some disgruntled players who may not have liked him, but I can assure you that I was around during many of the big issues CC dealt with and his character stayed intact through it all. He is a very well respected member of the Helena community and I would be shocked to hear what allegations you are referring to.

I have witnessed the opposite and I do question his character

What have you witnessed? Speak up. Did you witness him grab a player by the facemask and chew his ass for missing an assignment during a game? If that is your complaint than boo frickin hoo. This is football and a coach that is afraid of doing some ass chewin sometimes isn't really a coach at all in my opinion. And if it gives you bad feeling in your tummy when you see this happen then I am willing to bet that you have never played the sport at any real competative level. When I have busted my ass all week long working hard to achieve a victory and so have 10 other guys on my side of the ball if I make a mistake and let everyone else down I would EXPECT to get my ass chewed. I am sick and tired of people thinking that the guy is bad guy because he is an old school coach.

I'm not a "sugarcoater" but Grizznation has got to be better than this.

If VanDiest isn't your guy, no problem. BUt don't assassinate his character, same with Pflugard, Pease, Doeren or anyone else under consideration.

These men are exemplary in many ways. One of these men may be our new HC, and I want him to take the reins not having some ugly unsubstantiated innuendo floating around about him.

That's not too much to ask.

So lets keep this blog focused on facts, or opinions formed on facts, anyone who throws a load of sh*t on here that isn't a fact demeans us all

You guys argue like a bunch of lonely housewives :), we could always hire Sanford...kidding of course...at least on the second point lol

Forshizzlegrizzle said:
I have witnessed the opposite and I do question his character

What have you witnessed? Speak up. Did you witness him grab a player by the facemask and chew his ass for missing an assignment during a game? If that is your complaint than boo frickin hoo. This is football and a coach that is afraid of doing some ass chewin sometimes isn't really a coach at all in my opinion. And if it gives you bad feeling in your tummy when you see this happen then I am willing to bet that you have never played the sport at any real competative level. When I have busted my ass all week long working hard to achieve a victory and so have 10 other guys on my side of the ball if I make a mistake and let everyone else down I would EXPECT to get my ass chewed. I am sick and tired of people thinking that the guy is bad guy because he is an old school coach.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

When I was in high school, i missed a block on the line and my coach lined us all up and then kicked me hard in the ass... do you think I went home and cried to mommy and daddy and had them threaten to sue the school and make the coach apologize in front of the team??? Hell no!!! If you can't handle it, then don't play. But it's football for Christ's sakes!! You get hit, you get yelled at. Deal with it. Im tired of the "pussification" of America's youth. They get the world handed to them on a silver platter and expect to be treated like angels all their lives, then hit the real world and think "eff my life, Im in trouble" cuz they weren't raised right.

My point is this, it is apparent that you and Grizchew have had positive experiences with MVD. Unfortunately, many others have not.

Like who? The only guys I knew that disliked MVD when they played were guys that got their as$ chewed on a regular basis. But I guarantee that even they were crying when Diest told them how much he meant to him and to the program during the pre-National Championship speeches. Even those that did get their as$ chewed every single day would still tell you that their experience at Carroll was one of the best they ever had. He was like a disciplinarian Father... some hated him but everyone always respected him and nobody ever wanted to let him down.

I will agree that MVD has had a successful program at CC. His record speaks for itself. However, when statements are made, such as, "he's a good man" and "don't question his character", I have witnessed the opposite and I do question his character.

What exactly have you "witnessed"? I mean seriously... I was there for half of his tenure at Carroll and never witnessed or heard 1st, 2nd, or 3rd hand of anything that would even remotely lead me to question his character. If chewing as$ is all you got than you need to go root for Volleyball and leave football to the big boys. If you have more than stop stuttering and spit it out son...

Spanky said:
Van Diest has been a good coach at Carroll..and he needs to stay at Carroll.

I agree with Spanky...I like being a fan that can still fit into my National Championship sweatshirt. I like having MVD right were he is and he can go Coach the mighty griz after whoever they hire fails to meet the egrizzers standards. Who would want to coach at a school that talks bad of a coach that was 80-17? I can see why MVD doesn't care about um.

PS- Is Van Diest really just a good coach at Carroll? I would have thought 5 national championships in 10 years makes you pretty un-fricken-believable coach at Carroll!!!!

hardycreek1 said:
Mick Van Diest at Carroll in Helena knows how to win.

He has WON the national Championship FIVE TIMES!

That should be enough of a resume to be the next HC of the Griz.

He's a Montana coach who loves football and knows how to win.

He's my pick & I hope he is announced as HC later today.
He also lost some...so therefore, he is not fit to be UM's coach...the NAIA is a league of small time players with little or no talent...intramural level at most schools...Alpha should volunteer his service and his staff is ready made..just pick the 3 or 4 prolific "experts" and voila! Nationa Champs...forget league play...those games don't count..according to Alpaha, the only thing worth anything is the nat'. championship....to whom, he is never clear...

Back