• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Winners win - that's why we need MVD as coach

MSU fans are very pleased the way it turned out irrespective of how you choose to spin it.

lotsa said:
Justanotherfan and Grizbrokebacker1 are factually correct, a much appreciated approach. The decision also involved leaving his program at a bad time of the year. This goes to his off the field value and the reason he should be our next HC--absolute commitment and loyalty. He would apply that here to take the program to new heights. (That isnt an invitation to restate all the inaccuracies spewed above .)If he had taken the opportunities at both Idaho State and MSU avilable to rejected by him we would be seeing the complaints about how he got away. There are a lot of good men out there but we have our best option, home grown and totally tuned into who we are and how we expect to proceed, in our own back yard.
MVD just isn't a viable option. Nobody that matters in our booster structure wants him that badly. We have a lot of other applicants that more closely match the direction that UM wants to take. MVD would need years to adjust to division 1 ncaa football. We need someone who will hit the ground running. Even Brian Kelly who is now at Notre Dame lost to transitional ndsu when he was at Central Michigan. He, like mvd was a successful lower division coach that took a season and a half to get adjusted to division1 speed. The Griz are fortunate to be in a position where they don't need to hire on a learning curve.

justanotherfan said:
grizbrokebacker1 said:
TRUE. MVD was told on his way home that he was not going to be chosen and was allowed to withdraw in order to "save face".

This is a prime example of all of the false claims about MVD on this post. It doesn't matter whose name is discussed, there is a faction without facts or knowledge who make claims that are false in an effort to discredit any candidate. Anyone close to the situation knows that MVD withdrew because of issues with the Cats program. The other leading candidate also dropped for the same reasons leaving the Cats with their Rob Ash, the third choice, as the only candidate standing. If you don't know the truth, don't make false claims in an effort to discredit.

Don't pick on the kitten fans to much. :cry:
Who can blame them for wanting to re-write history?
Who would want the truth to be known, that an NAIA coach didn't want to deal with all the hassles of their troubled program? Speaking out of both sides of their mouth, the kitten fans tell themselves and anyone gullible enough to listen, how not-so-bad the past was and how wonderful they're gunna be next year! ;)

article-kitten-420x0.jpg

He's definitely a winner. No doubt. Great track record. And if he gets the job, I'll support the coach because he's the coach of my team. But I personally hope JOD goes another direction. My GUESS, as I have absolutely no inside scoop, is that he'll hire Pease or another coach with D-1 experience. My GUESS is that since JOD says he wants to respect the needs of coaches still working on bowl games that he isn't looking at MVD. And that's fine with me.
Our program is one that alaways seems to be just on the verge of one that could legitimately take on any FBS school at any level of BCS rankings and hang with them -- but not quite. We are on the cusp, but not year-in-year-out. In short, I think we have nowhere to go but down in quality at the FCS level. We root for a nationally-recognized and almost nationally respected (f-ing easterners!) program that does not need to reach all the way down to the NAIA ranks to find a head coach -- even a really good head coach for CC. Montana does NOT "recruit itself" anywhere outside Montana and maybe the region. But those JC transfers, FBS dropdowns and the like do not just happen because some kid saw us on ESPN. They happen when a good recruiter, with some EXPERIENCE doing it, gets on the horn or steps off a plan and into the livingroom of the player's parents and GETS that kid. Personally, I don't think MVD is that guy. But again, if they hire him, I'll support the decision.

GO GRIZ!

A great article on Van Diest and Carroll that was in the New York Times. The article was for the 2007 Season Preview.... I know, why would they waste their time writing about Carroll, when they could write a story on the mighty griz. As we have all learned in this thread, MVD recruits all across the west and does a very good job of getting great players, just think what he could do with the recruiting budget the UM has!

Djollie, DON'T READ THIS ARTICLE! There isn't any negativity and we all know that may just kill you!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/27/sports/ncaafootball/27carroll.html?ref=ncaafootball

The question about MVD is the same question about BH: Can he succeed at a higher level as a HC? It's not just a matter of coaching ability. No question in either case. I can't judge MVD, any more than I can judge BH. BH made his commitment & we shall see. Does anyone know if MVD has in fact applied for the job?

MVD is not a viable option because the boosters don't want him? Who gives a shit. He is a good FOOTBALL coach and that is what the job is for a FOOTBALL coach. If the boosters need a ball washer they should hire one off to the side.

Don't bring up the D-1 experience argument but it is well documented that he coached in D-1 football. And you don't think he would surround himself with experienced staff to assist.

It's not going to be MVD if they wanted him they wouldn't need to wait til mid Jan to name a coach. It's going to be a FBS guy or a current Griz coach. Boo Hoo Carrol Burnett fans. Go find a diferent program to infiltrate and dirty up. MSU will probably need a coach next year. Try there again. Loolz.

Forshizzlegrizzle said:
MVD is not a viable option because the boosters don't want him? Who gives a shit. He is a good FOOTBALL coach and that is what the job is for a FOOTBALL coach. If the boosters need a ball washer they should hire one off to the side.

Don't bring up the D-1 experience argument but it is well documented that he coached in D-1 football. And you don't think he would surround himself with experienced staff to assist.

This is were djockie is wrong again, as he usually is wrong, but what is scaring me about losing Van Diest is that some of the Grizzlies biggest supporters are wanting Van Diest. One of the main people on the search committee is a huge Van Diest fan and I have gone from not worried about MVD getting the job, to praying he doesn't want the job. I am afraid that the only way MVD doesn't get the job is if he doesn't want it. I wish djollie wanted Van Diest to be the coach, then I would feel better about him not getting the job, because everyone knows the djockie is wrong 99.9% of the time.

djollieballs said:
It's not going to be MVD if they wanted him they wouldn't need to wait til mid Jan to name a coach. It's going to be a FBS guy or a current Griz coach. Boo Hoo Carrol Burnett fans. Go find a diferent program to infiltrate and dirty up. MSU will probably need a coach next year. Try there again. Loolz.

Like I said you suck at debate. Using your ilogic. Why would they have to wait to name a coach if it was a current coach?

djollieballs said:

Like I said you suck at debate. Using your ilogic. Why would they have to wait to name a coach if it was a current coach?

Forshizzlegrizzle said:
djollieballs said:

Tell me one more time, I still didn't get it. :cool:

O'Day was on the news tonight saying a lot of the coaches interested would probably drop out of the running be cause of the salary. The U of M is not going to negotiate salary apparently and the good guys at BCS schools are already making a lot more than we will pay. He hopes we can get someone good because of the status of the U of M. He almost made the head coach job sound like an assistant manager's job at a fast-food place. "It's an entry-level position that pays minimum wage, but it is an opportunity to learn and grow with a great company." (My words, not his).

Way to sell it OD.

Back