• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sam Vidlak, Class of 2021 QB Commits! (Enters 2022 Portal)

Okay, watched his highlight reel. My take:

Very accurate (as the 74% completion ratio and 44 TDs to 3 Int would suggest). Throws well on the run. Good pocket presence, without any happy feet. Can throw from multiple arm angles. Excellent touch on the deep ball, but can throw a dart when necessary, and can throw the deep out. Good play-action, should the Griz ever use that ( ;) ). Puts the ball up high when necessary so his taller receivers can go get it, and seems to lead receivers so they can catch and run in stride. Gets the ball out quickly on quick hitters like swing passes.

Hard to tell how he is at looking off coverage, going through progressions, or staring down receivers, and he appears to be fairly slight (the weight room should take care of that). Can run a bit, but it doesn't look like his forte.

WaGriz4life said:
Why is this thread being moved? Recruiting is one of the only things to talk about in the offseason

Was wondering same. I posted it on main board for a reason, because 90% of egrizzers don’t come to the recruiting thread for news.

He plays at the same league and classification Dante Olson did in HS. He is being recruited for baseball as well. He was also the player of the year in his league for BB. A great get for the Griz!

Anyone know his size ? Guessing = 17 YO Junior and was about 6'0" and 170 lbs.

CrunchGriz said:
he appears to be fairly slight (the weight room should take care of that). Can run a bit, but it doesn't look like his forte.

Proud Griz Man said:

CrunchGriz said:
he appears to be fairly slight (the weight room should take care of that). Can run a bit, but it doesn't look like his forte.

Bio says 6'1".

AZGrizFan said:
Proud Griz Man said:

CrunchGriz said:

Bio says 6'1".
6'1", 175 as a HS junior.

Former Griz commit Sam Vidlak entered portal today from Oregon State

Note: I edited Subject line but it didn’t change.

https://twitter.com/RivalsPortal/status/1473080838472486915

ordigger said:
Former Griz commit Sam Vidlak entered portal today from Oregon State

Note: I edited Subject line but it didn’t change.

https://twitter.com/RivalsPortal/status/1473080838472486915

I could be wrong but I don't think we need any additional underclassmen at QB, currently.

Would love to have him, but would be surprised if the staff would go after him again now that we have Britt, although Hauck has had two QBs in the same class before (Selle and Larson).

If they do go after him, that might be a bad sign for one or more of our current holdover QBs.

He didn’t burn any bridges here like some delusional people seem to think. He got a power 5 offer in the pac-12 with his hometown team. Coaches here understood.

dayday said:
He didn’t burn any bridges here like some delusional people seem to think. He got a power 5 offer in the pac-12 with his hometown team. Coaches here understood.
Ok maybe I had a poor choice of words. All I’m saying is I’m not sure the staff is gonna want 2 QB’s in the same class.

Griz til I die said:
dayday said:
Ok maybe I had a poor choice of words. All I’m saying is I’m not sure the staff is gonna want 2 QB’s in the same class.

You could be correct. Hauck has done it before but it be tricky thing to bring in another RS-freshman with Britt being that then you have Brown and Huot sandwiched in between. So it’s a good point and Hauck has said he would prefer a QB in each class.

However, I think you bring in the best talent you can and not worry about that. Last year taught us about how much not having a stud at QB and a good back up can derail a very talented team.

dayday said:
Griz til I die said:

You could be correct. Hauck has done it before but it be tricky thing to bring in another RS-freshman with Britt being that then you have Brown and Huot sandwiched in between. So it’s a good point and Hauck has said he would prefer a QB in each class.

However, I think you bring in the best talent you can and not worry about that. Last year taught us about how much not having a stud at QB and a good back up can derail a very talented team.

One could argue that if we hadn’t been missing several OTHER studs who WERE on the team, the QB we had would have been fine.

https://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/2020/05/sam-vidlak-hidden-valley-qb-flips-from-montana-to-oregon-state-beavers.html

Prior to his growth spurt early in high school, Hidden Valley High School quarterback Sam Vidlak hoped to one day play for the Montana Grizzlies.

Brother Bear said:
https://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/2020/05/sam-vidlak-hidden-valley-qb-flips-from-montana-to-oregon-state-beavers.html

Prior to his growth spurt early in high school, Hidden Valley High School quarterback Sam Vidlak hoped to one day play for the Montana Grizzlies.
I'd be ok with him flipping from Oregon State back to the Griz!

Back