• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sentinel is adding a game changer..

I’m not suggesting we throw spaghetti all over the state like the cats, but there has to be a happy medium, and we should show a little early love (not a full ride or anything like that) for at least the 3-4 top kids in the state.
We’re in an arms race with our most hated enemy and some want to take a wait and see approach

garizzalies said:
I’m not suggesting we throw spaghetti all over the state like the cats, but there has to be a happy medium, and we should show a little early love (not a full ride or anything like that) for at least the 3-4 top kids in the state.
We’re in an arms race with our most hated enemy and some want to take a wait and see approach

Uh.... I just looked at your player list for 2019 and it looks like you signed 15 MT kids out of 29?? Over half? That seems like WAY over recruiting MT IMO. Cats probably over recruit MT too, again, IMO.

Ha. So funny. For YEARS all we ever heard was how the Griz got all the Montana kids. They owned the state. No Montana kids wanted to go to Bozeman. It was the rhetoric year after year after year after year.

Suddenly the Cats seem to be doing pretty well with in-state talent and we're recruiting the state too hard?

Now the fight is really going to be which school "over-recruits" the state worse?!

Wow.

poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:

Uh.... I just looked at your player list for 2019 and it looks like you signed 15 MT kids out of 29?? Over half? That seems like WAY over recruiting MT IMO. Cats probably over recruit MT too, again, IMO.

Waaaay over recruited. There are only 10 kids in the entire state in a given year who will have impact for a career at the FCS level. The Griz and cats both need to get better at battling for those 10. Signing 29 kids between the 2 program is way too much.

HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:

Waaaay over recruited. There are only 10 kids in the entire state in a given year who will have impact for a career at the FCS level. The Griz and cats both need to get better at battling for those 10. Signing 29 kids between the 2 program is way too much.

Sorry hooked, my post wasn't written very well. The 15 of 29 refers to the MT kids versus total of 29 players signed by the griz for 2019. I think the Cats ended up with 12 from MT out of 32 total. Point being, 27 MT players is still way too many if you look at past years as a measure. It makes boosters happy though.

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:

Sorry hooked, my post wasn't written very well. The 15 of 29 refers to the MT kids versus total of 29 players signed by the griz for 2019. I think the Cats ended up with 12 from MT out of 32 total. Point being, 27 MT players is still way too many if you look at past years as a measure. It makes boosters happy though.

Agree...anything over 10 is too many imo. On a great, rare, exceptional year maybe 15 total kids but that’s the most. Definitely not 27 or 29 or anything close.

You know why it makes sense to sign 15 Montana kids? Plain and simple, it is an inexpensive way to get quantity with the hopes a few of them pan out. I would be curious how many full scholarships those 15 kids really consume.

grizindabox said:
You know why it makes sense to sign 15 Montana kids? Plain and simple, it is an inexpensive way to get quantity with the hopes a few of them pan out. I would be curious how many full scholarships those 15 kids really consume.

I agree with you, and good question. Quantity also contributes to depth. I would guess it took relatively few scholarships to get the 15. The more MT kids, the better, in my view. Lots of MT walk-ons have been good contributors over the years. Some have become among our best players.

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:

Lots of MT kids is never too many, unless it takes a disproportionate amount of scholarships. My guess is that UM and MSU never use too many total scholarships for MT kids.

ilovethecats said:
Ha. So funny. For YEARS all we ever heard was how the Griz got all the Montana kids. They owned the state. No Montana kids wanted to go to Bozeman. It was the rhetoric year after year after year after year.

Suddenly the Cats seem to be doing pretty well with in-state talent and we're recruiting the state too hard?

Now the fight is really going to be which school "over-recruits" the state worse?!

Wow.

I agree, but I also look at some of the posters saying this, and then discount what they are saying. Surprised that Hooked said this.

I know nothing about the process of recruiting for football. I know that in hoops, if you go into the offseason with three spots of need, you're going to recruit pretty heavily on 8-10 kids for each spot. So you might recruit up to 30 kids to fill only 3 spots. Does football not work in the same way?

Seems to me in this state it would be wise to go after every single kid you feel could impact your program in some way and let the chips fall where they may. This isn't to suggest throwing around schollies willy-nilly but I think showing interest to as many as possible is smart.

Maybe not?

keena52 said:
grizfnz said:
keena52 said:
I think it would be very interesting to know how many Montana kids have made the NFL from AA, A, B, and C? I know I don’t have the time, but Montana has produced quite a few of 8 man players, and I would think because of democratic , we would sit fairly high vs other small states in this category? Just curious but all those numbers would be interesting.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.cgi?country=USA&state=MT
Thanks. It list where they were born. Casey grew up in Chester 8 man. They have Chase right, but they are missing Curry Valier, Spencer from Scobey, and I know I’m missing 1 or 2 others. Pretty impressive for small school kids.

Casey Fitzsimmons, Chase Reynolds and Scott Curry are the only 3 Montanans to play in the NFL that played 6 or 8-man high-school ball that I can find.

Leighton Vander Esche from Riggins,ID (8-Man) and the Dallas Cowboys is the only current NFL-er that qualifies that I know of, but I'd love to hear about other(s) that I am unaware of.

PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:

Lots of MT kids is never too many, unless it takes a disproportionate amount of scholarships. My guess is that UM and MSU never use too many total scholarships for MT kids.
While the top MT recruits still get offered full rides, both programs split a lot of schollies into partials for MT recruits. Looking at tuition and travel expense, MT kids are far more economical to recruit than out-of-staters, so will necessarily be a strong component of both.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

While the top MT recruits still get offered full rides, both programs split a lot of schollies into partials for MT recruits. Looking at tuition and travel expense, MT kids are far more economical to recruit than out-of-staters, so will necessarily be a strong component of both.

This: 10 Mt kids usually means about 4 schlorships. Plus seversal of them are walk ons

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:

While not the #! concern, Boosters are important.

HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:

You make the assumption you always know what 10 are going to be able to contribute. Often players that are famed to be big time fcs talent don’t see the field and the 8 man guys we the ones who make a difference. Also we can sign usually 20 MT kids with maybe 10 scholarships or less vs very few kids are coming from out of state without a full ride. It’s not as easy as you make it seem.

I think the main point people are talking to is that the Cats just hand out hundreds of offers and hope some stick...they do it all over and not just Montana. It seems like they double or more their potential spots with offers and play the...sign first and you get to come game. It can work and get some big time guys...but when you push kids to commit like that...sometimes things are insincere and they leave later or back out later....lucky you recruited 80 other guys who might still come. It’s a recruiting style, it’s not wrong it’s just different.

Not long ago, it was noted the cats had a very large number of players leaving. Combined with their 'spaghetti' approach, it all makes sense.

Have any of you ever seen a high school fined for recruiting? Odd situation. P-burg was obviously unhappy with the loss of this player.

Back